collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Big Ten is loaded this year  (Read 7685 times)

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
Big Ten is loaded this year
« on: December 27, 2010, 07:26:50 PM »
Penn State came up with a nice, early season road victory. Great start to the conference season for them.

I wonder if Penn State head coach Ed DeChellis will tweet about this victory?

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Big Ten is loaded this year
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 10:10:39 PM »
I'm sure he didn't walk up and down the bench clapping either.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 11:10:25 PM »
That is a really bad loss....really bad

LCDutchman

• Scholarship Player
Crean Puffs Lose Again
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 09:26:47 AM »
Watched the Crean Puffs last night against Penn State.  Two bad teams both poorly coached.  Neither will win 3 games in the Big Ten. 
In heaven Marquette always beats Wisconsin

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Crean Puffs Lose Again
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 09:56:53 AM »
Watched the Crean Puffs last night against Penn State.  Two bad teams both poorly coached.  Neither will win 3 games in the Big Ten. 

If you are correct, and I'm thinking you're not but not too far off either, then I think Crean might have reason to be concerned about the remainder of his contract.  That'd be too bad though, I was half-looking forward to seeing Rocky wear red.  :D
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 09:59:27 AM »
If you are correct, and I'm thinking you're not but not too far off either, then I think Crean might have reason to be concerned about the remainder of his contract.  That'd be too bad though, I was half-looking forward to seeing Rocky wear red.  :D

Nah....with the load of players coming in 2011, 2012, 2013 and expectations for this season to finish 9th....Rocky will be wearing red next year.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 10:21:12 AM »
If Crean could simply take a page from Buzz-ball 101 - which is to MAKE more Free Throws than your opponent attempts - he would improve markedly as a coach.  His overagressive, obsession with deflections, and intensity result in his teams committing way too many fouls.  It happened while he was at MU, and continues at IU.

Last nights game:

IU - 21 fouls
Penns State:  15 fouls

FT Attempted:  Penn State 26
                      Indiana  8

FT Made:  Penn State:  19
                Indiana 5

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 10:26:03 AM »
5-33

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 10:26:45 AM »
Nah....with the load of players coming in 2011, 2012, 2013 and expectations for this season to finish 9th....Rocky will be wearing red next year.

The thing is, there is no load of players coming in 2011.  2012-14 is a different story (if you accept that they are all really going to wind up in Bloomington).  Two Indiana Elite kids (shocking) are coming next year... both are traditional... Etherington.. 6'6" shooter.  He can get it going some nights, but is not a savior, not by a long shot.  Cody is a very good looking player, but again.. this isn't a Sullinger type of guy.  

I think it was a six point game and Hulls hit another trey... the little coach guy was overly excited and did an animated fist pump in front of the bench.  I puked.  Not sure if it was the jagoff celebration over a three pointer when his team was getting beat by a horrendous opponent or the fact that I had seen Carrie Underwood in a magazine earlier that day that caused me to earl, but both were awful sights.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 10:51:23 AM »
Whenever Crean's time is up at Indiana, will we still see posts on Crean's next school here on scoop?  Or does it stop once he is twice removed?

LCDutchman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 11:11:07 AM »
Getting beat by Penn State at home Crean has now lost more home games than Bob Knight lost in his entire tenure at the university.  After watching his teams poor performance on defense, offense, transition it is not a suprising statistic.
In heaven Marquette always beats Wisconsin

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 11:27:27 AM »
If Crean could simply take a page from Buzz-ball 101 - which is to MAKE more Free Throws than your opponent attempts - he would improve markedly as a coach.  His overagressive, obsession with deflections, and intensity result in his teams committing way too many fouls.  It happened while he was at MU, and continues at IU.     

I agree with this completely.  I see this all over college (and high school) basketball and it amazes me.  Why draw your defense so far away from the basket?  Why jump passing lanes when you don't need to?  I see way too much defensive over-coaching for no real benefit.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 11:54:00 AM »

I agree with this completely.  I see this all over college (and high school) basketball and it amazes me.  Why draw your defense so far away from the basket?  Why jump passing lanes when you don't need to?  I see way too much defensive over-coaching for no real benefit.

This drives me crazy when watching my son's team play.  I often think they would be much better off if the coach would tell them, "never try to steal the ball from a player who is dribbling."  They would probably save 6-8 (or more) reach in fouls every game and would maybe get one fewer steal.  I'm not saying that this is the right answer, but if he can't teach them to be more disciplined on when to go for the steal, they'd likely be better never trying.  Those reach in fouls drive me nuts.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 12:06:15 PM »
I've coached youth basketball from the 5th to 8th grade levels for over a decade.  We never zone.  Only press if down late.  Rarely do we set up beyond the three point line.  And we are generally one of the better defensive teams out there. 

Now offensively....   :P

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 12:26:46 PM »
Two Indiana Elite kids (shocking) are coming next year... both are traditional... Etherington.. 6'6" shooter.  He can get it going some nights, but is not a savior, not by a long shot.  Cody is a very good looking player, but again.. this isn't a Sullinger type of guy.  

That is shocking, especially since they've been coming IU's way for several decades...shocking indeed.  :o 

chren21

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2010, 06:18:50 PM »
Wisconsin vs. Minn on Espn 2 right now....

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=303620275

chren21

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2010, 07:56:37 PM »
Wisconsin with a nice win.  TM had another double double.  11-11.  Questionable call that took him out of the last 4 min of the first half.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2010, 08:41:17 PM »
Agree, good win for Wisconsin....again.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2010, 03:55:37 PM »
MSU just looks putrid at half vs. MN at home.  Our Wisky loss is looking better...as is our Vandy loss with TN getting blown away by CoC.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2010, 05:12:48 PM »
MSU just looks putrid at half vs. MN at home.  Our Wisky loss is looking better...as is our Vandy loss with TN getting blown away by CoC.

I stand retracted.  MSU on fire in the 2nd.  UM is average with Trevor on the bench with foul trouble, which seems to be his tendency.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 05:25:53 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2010, 05:16:28 PM »
Most teams will be middle of the road when you take 17 and 9 off the floor. Meanwhile, Crean is getting his ass handed to him, as expected, by tOSU. BTW, Thomas has a picnic tablecloth tie on. Must have gotten it for Xmas from Joanie. Still hasn't learned how to tie them, though.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 05:23:39 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2011, 11:56:48 PM »
Agree, good win for Wisconsin....again.

Noticed this...UW dead last on tempo in the nation.  Bo really has the talent to work his system successfully. Taylor has been impressive at PG.  Have the Illini tomorrow on the road. 

http://kenpom.com/stats.php?s=RankAdjTempo

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2011, 12:19:18 AM »
Noticed this...UW dead last on tempo in the nation.  Bo really has the talent to work his system successfully. Taylor has been impressive at PG.  Have the Illini tomorrow on the road. 

http://kenpom.com/stats.php?s=RankAdjTempo

Go Weber, The good orange Bruce !

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2011, 03:05:56 PM »
Apparently so, MSU just lost to that same Penn State team

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2011, 03:37:12 PM »
Apparently so, MSU just lost to that same Penn State team

Who cares..Penn State is 9-6...2-2 in league play and 7-4 out of league play..not exactly very good.  MSU is overrated this year, and largely ranked due to their name...in fact their resume doesn't really look any better than does MU's at this point.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013