collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 587484 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #1325 on: October 27, 2014, 01:59:50 PM »
Trestman gets one more year to prove something but I agree.  Beyond the X's and O's it's evident he doesn't have control of that locker room. 

I was glad to move on from Lovie Smith but at least he had the respect of the guys in the locker room.

Agree that it was time for Lovie to go but the Trestman hire was the wrong one. Not saying he's a bad coach necessarily, but he wasn't the right fit for an on-the-verge-but-window's-closing team.

In Lovie's last 3 seasons, the Bears went 11-5, 8-8 (1-5 w/o Cutler) and 10-6. They really weren't THAT far away from being contenders. While I'm normally opposed to tired coaching retreads, the Bears were in perfect position to bring in an established, well-respected coach who could potentially take them to that next level. Instead, they went with a career assistant who hadn't coached in the NFL since 2004. I would have loved to see what a guy like Andy Reid or Bruce Arians could have done with this team. I guess we'll have to wait and see what Jim Harbaugh can do starting next season.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #1326 on: October 27, 2014, 02:01:12 PM »
I don't have confidence that Trestman can lead this team out of the downward spiral. I don't believe the locker room respects him as an authority figure. On offense, Cutler is their leader (however you want to view that) and on defense, their leader Tillman is done, and Briggs is mentally checked out. It's a bad mix of some strong personalities who do not get along with one another, and a lack of faith in coaching to lead them out of this. I don't know where this team mentally goes from here, but I don't think it's going to be pretty.

As for the Lions, the couple of things they have going for them are their conference record (5-1) and a game in hand with the Pack. Lions actually have the most conference wins of any NFC team currently. Interesting 3 game stretch coming up for them, followed by 4 very winnable games, and then the Pack in the finale.

Do you think Tucker survives?  I can't tell if he is a bad D coach, or simply a victim of a tired bunch of Def players.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1327 on: October 27, 2014, 02:15:17 PM »
One more game this week

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1328 on: October 27, 2014, 03:21:02 PM »
Do you think Tucker survives?  I can't tell if he is a bad D coach, or simply a victim of a tired bunch of Def players.

This is just my guess, but Trestman and Emery probably survive the season. The sword will have to fall on someone, and it'll probably be Tucker and DeCamillis. I'm not saying I think Trestman should survive the season if they finish something like 4-12, but just knowing the organization, I think both those guys survive.

Herein lies the problem...they're contractually and from a roster management standpoint, they're stuck in hell right now. The Cutler contract in and of itself isn't bad, it's market value. The problem is if you truly want to start over, you have to bottom out completely, and you have too many positions of need, too many above 30 players, and a coach who can't seem to manage.

Terrible drafting for years has been catching up with the Bears, and now it's really in their face.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1329 on: October 27, 2014, 03:25:48 PM »
If they go 6-10 you have to get rid of Trestman. Would love to see Gruden coach the Bears. I said it last year that I wasn't a fan of the Trestman hire. I'm not gonna lie and say I wasn't excited about the offense last year but how much is that really due to trestman and how much of that can be attributed to how well the offensivery line played and Alshons break out season.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1330 on: October 27, 2014, 03:30:43 PM »
If they go 6-10 you have to get rid of Trestman. Would love to see Gruden coach the Bears. I said it last year that I wasn't a fan of the Trestman hire. I'm not gonna lie and say I wasn't excited about the offense last year but how much is that really due to trestman and how much of that can be attributed to how well the offensivery line played and Alshons break out season.

The Bears biggest issue is the GM.  If you can't draft well in today's NFL, you just can't win.  The problem with someone like Gruden is that he is likely going to want to have more say in personnel than you want.  I thought Emery was going to be good, but he has had A LOT of draft misses.

That is what needs to be fixed first and foremost.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1331 on: October 27, 2014, 04:00:09 PM »
The Bears biggest issue is the GM.  If you can't draft well in today's NFL, you just can't win.  The problem with someone like Gruden is that he is likely going to want to have more say in personnel than you want.  I thought Emery was going to be good, but he has had A LOT of draft misses.

I wouldnt put all of the bad draft picks on Emery. In fact, Alshon, Mills, Long, and even McClellin (granted not first roud worthy) have been good to this point. Also, I wasnt a fan of Fuller but he has been good. Hes a rookie corner which is probably one of the most difficult positions to adjust to in the NFL. Even Ego and Sutton havent been awful and I still have hope for Vereen and Wilson. Angelo REALLY screwed the Bears in the draft. Forte is the only pick that is still relevant, at least that I can remember.

Granted all that being said, Emery hasnt been immune to questionable moves but thats nothing compared to Angelo. I dont see the Bears getting rid of Trestman either just for stability sake and to avoid an "I told you so" by Bears fans but its been a rough ride.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1332 on: October 27, 2014, 04:17:17 PM »
Mills and Shea are not good, Mills is an ok backup, but if neither was on the roster next season, I'd be more than fine with it.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1333 on: October 27, 2014, 04:24:27 PM »
Mills and Shea are not good, Mills is an ok backup, but if neither was on the roster next season, I'd be more than fine with it.

I have very few quarrels with Mills. Late round pick, still young and wayyyy better than Carimi and Williams combined.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1334 on: October 27, 2014, 04:41:28 PM »
I have very few quarrels with Mills. Late round pick, still young and wayyyy better than Carimi and Williams combined.

We might be watching different things, but Mills has been really bad the last few weeks.

Just because Mills is better than Carimi and Williams...doesn't mean he's good. Bad is still bad.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1335 on: October 27, 2014, 04:42:53 PM »
We might be watching different things, but Mills has been really bad the last few weeks.

Just because Mills is better than Carimi and Williams...doesn't mean he's good. Bad is still bad.

Few weeks as opposed to the past year and a half. With all of the injuries to the line this year, teams can send multiple guys at Mills because they know they can be successful with one on ones to the backups on the line.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1336 on: October 27, 2014, 05:15:44 PM »

The problems with the team and draft go back to Angelo. So do we actually know trestman and emery are bad? What if they are good at their jobs, but were put in an unstable situation. Do you fire them now (too quick imo) or give them aachance to prove themselves?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1337 on: October 27, 2014, 06:14:01 PM »
They could win 2 playoff games (i.e. lose in NFC Champ Game) but you don't consider them a SB contender? That's a very specific ceiling you have for the Lions  ;)

Uhh, yes. Did anyone ever really believe the Bears were SB contenders the year the Packers won it? I didn't, but they were in the NFC Championship game.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1338 on: October 27, 2014, 06:30:23 PM »
Uhh, yes. Did anyone ever really believe the Bears were SB contenders the year the Packers won it? I didn't, but they were in the NFC Championship game.

Well that's because you just hate everything bears and will never give them credit for anything.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1339 on: October 27, 2014, 07:04:07 PM »

Of course they were Super Bowl contenders.  They lost at home in the NFC Championship Game.  Second best record in the conference.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #1340 on: October 27, 2014, 07:42:58 PM »
 Cutler hasn't been seeing the field real well. 
Also hasn't put advantageous balls up for Jeffrey or Marshall (although being on Revis island doesn't help).

Bears and Packers defense are atrocious.   Welcome (again) to our world.    Our d won't get fixed until we get a new S&C coach and someone who can gauge talent better.   So frustrating we can't surround the best qb in the league with a competent defense going on a decade now.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1341 on: October 27, 2014, 08:06:37 PM »
Cutler hasn't been seeing the field real well.  
Also hasn't put advantageous balls up for Jeffrey or Marshall (although being on Revis island doesn't help).

Bears and Packers defense are atrocious.   Welcome (again) to our world.    Our d won't get fixed until we get a new S&C coach and someone who can gauge talent better.   So frustrating we can't surround the best qb in the league with a competent defense going on a decade now.

How many teams would replace their current GM with Ted Thompson if given the option?  Maybe all but four or five?  He is routinely near the top of NFL GM rankings. (#2 by Sporting News earlier this year.)

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #1342 on: October 27, 2014, 08:18:58 PM »
Not sure for what at this point beside riding the Rodger's wave.  Nailed it on the Rodgers pick but besides that it seems to me he has failed to complement the best player in the league.   

I've seen enough of our defense over the years to realize TT can't fix it.  Looking at it realistically, TT will probably ride out the Rodgers success, and won't be touchable.  I will have to live with only imagining how good we could be. 

In a perfect world you hire Jim Harbaugh, I'd even be willing to give him personnel discretion. Unfortunately only 1 championship with the Michael Jordan of the NFL seems to sit ok with most.   

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1343 on: October 27, 2014, 08:31:48 PM »
LOL, so you would hire a volatile head coach who hasn't won a Super Bowl to be your general manager, even though he isn't the GM where he is now, to replace your current Super Bowl winning GM?  OK...

Aaron Rodgers isn't Michael Jordon and the NFL isn't the NBA.  It is insanely more difficult to win the Super Bowl due to parity.  Do you know how many current NFL GMs have won multiple Super Bowls?  I count three.  Belicheck, Newsome and Jerry Jones.  Belicheck has had the shortest tenure of the three BTW.  There are only three others who have won one Super Bowl besides Thompson.  Loomis, Reese and Schnieder.

Thompson is a very good general manager.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1344 on: October 27, 2014, 08:35:51 PM »
Put it this way.  Ron Wolf is worshiped around Green Bay.  He is in the Packers Hall of Fame and a finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

And he won as many Super Bowls as Ted Thompson.  With the previous version of "Michael Jordan." 

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #1345 on: October 27, 2014, 08:46:36 PM »
Guess we'll have to agree to disagree as they say.  There's no denying most will blindly follow TT after 2010.  I've seen Harbaugh put together great defense and o line play as well as having a top notch S&C program.   With him we could be a dynasty.  TT hasn't exactly been a wizard in the drafting/personnel department. 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1346 on: October 27, 2014, 09:16:18 PM »
How many teams would replace their current GM with Ted Thompson if given the option?  Maybe all but four or five?  He is routinely near the top of NFL GM rankings. (#2 by Sporting News earlier this year.)

<<<Hand Raised>>>

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1347 on: October 27, 2014, 09:28:20 PM »
That did not look good for Romo.

Pokes are in a really tough spot here. They really could use a very very fast diagnosis because the trade deadline is hours away. They have about $4 mil in cap space available.

Ironically, their best option is probably sitting on the bench opposite them tonight.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1348 on: October 27, 2014, 09:37:18 PM »
That did not look good for Romo.

Pokes are in a really tough spot here. They really could use a very very fast diagnosis because the trade deadline is hours away. They have about $4 mil in cap space available.

Ironically, their best option is probably sitting on the bench opposite them tonight.

Cutler is free next weekend...

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1349 on: October 27, 2014, 09:50:35 PM »
The other ironic thing is losing Romo is only going to increase Murray's workload.

If Romo is hurt, that's a huge loss.

feedback