[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette's Flaws For Now And What They Mean ...  (Read 18333 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Marquette's Flaws For Now And What They Mean ...
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2014, 05:13:55 PM »
It's an OPINION!

I don't know whether game experience would matter this year, but I think it might have, which is why I said it. You may be right, but there can be no proof.

LOL what?

You said Buzz's coaching is "coming home to roost."  Now you say "I don't know?"  Puh-lease.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2014, 05:15:11 PM »
Here is what isn't an opinion:  This year's game against OSU, with a team that lost 72% of its scoring from last year, was a hell of a lot more enjoyable to watch than was the debacle of last year's 35 point effort.

And there were many here who agreed with you that last year's team didn't stand a snowballs chance in hell of making the NCAA with the lineup Buzz chose to roll out.  And another thing, playing in a game and under the lights is a hell of a lot different than practice.  Practices are broken down into shell drills, lots of halfcourt O and D work, inbounds plays, implementing scouting reports - practices in no way are reflective of what game minutes/experience are.

If practices really aren't that valuable, then coaches should find more ways to have open scrimmages to try to create game-like scenarios. If game minutes are HUGELY valuable, then coaches should try to create them as much as possible.

(I'm being serious).

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2014, 05:20:56 PM »
If practices really aren't that valuable, then coaches should find more ways to have open scrimmages to try to create game-like scenarios. If game minutes are HUGELY valuable, then coaches should try to create them as much as possible.

(I'm being serious).

There is very little that can be done to simulate a game environment.  There are numerous cases of guys who are "practice players" and guys who are gamers.  Our legendary Al McGuire said the same.  Generally in most college basketball settings, less than 15% of the practice time is dedicated to actual full court scrimmaging. 

Additionally, skill development is something that takes place primarily in the off-season.  There isn't much skill work done during the season once the season is underway.

Having said all of this, I'm certainly not saying practices aren't valuable..at all.  What their aim is, and general content is, is much more scouting report implementation, half court work, etc.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2014, 05:46:28 PM »
There is very little that can be done to simulate a game environment.  There are numerous cases of guys who are "practice players" and guys who are gamers.  Our legendary Al McGuire said the same.  Generally in most college basketball settings, less than 15% of the practice time is dedicated to actual full court scrimmaging. 

Additionally, skill development is something that takes place primarily in the off-season.  There isn't much skill work done during the season once the season is underway.

Having said all of this, I'm certainly not saying practices aren't valuable..at all.  What their aim is, and general content is, is much more scouting report implementation, half court work, etc.

That's fair, but I guess I'm really interested in how coaches evaluate players and pick their line-ups. I assume it's in practice, but maybe I'm being naive.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2014, 07:08:30 PM »
That's fair, but I guess I'm really interested in how coaches evaluate players and pick their line-ups. I assume it's in practice, but maybe I'm being naive.

No, you aren't being naive - coaches do go off of what they see in practice.  Yet most coaches will adjust if a good practice player isn't getting the job done in games.

The problem again is that practice rarely simulates a game environment.  The intensity and speed of a game are always just a notch above what occurs in practice.  And since every coaches objective is to win games, they eventually have to take note of game performance and if it is lacking, try a different alternative.  That was my frustration with Buzz all of last year...and I'm not going to knee jerk on Wojo at this point.  I believe he has his reasons, and I believe he will adapt over the course of non-con.  (And not saying that means Dawson will get more minutes come conference play - but I believe he will reduce Derrick to 10 minutes per game as a sole backup to Carlino with the "other Derrick" minutes being given to any of JJJ, Duane, Dawson or Cohen.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2014, 10:07:29 AM »
First road games are very tough to win.
I am not sure but I think we covered the Vegas line, so we did better than expected.
I am happy to see many flaws that can be corrected with practice. Much better than losing with no room for improvement.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2014, 02:35:08 PM »
I also feel that under the circumstances this year should have an aesterik next to it.  OSU is tough to beat at home regardless of circumstances.  Now you throw in a transition year, short bench, new system, etc.  these flaws won't be long term, but they may haunt us all year.  I'm not ambivalent about this team, but anything they accomplish will exceed my expectations.  Next year is a completely different story.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2014, 08:05:08 PM »
Actually, I was impressed by MU's ability to break the pressure and get the ball to half court.  I was distracted during the game, but did we have a single 10 second violation?   (I do recall one timeout called when things weren't working.) 

Would have had an eaier time brining the ball up if our ball handler would not give up the dribble 20 feet into the court. We gave up the dribble time after time. I think Carlino dribble through them a couple of times

feedback