[Today at 12:43:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MU82
[Today at 12:22:29 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Donations  (Read 8979 times)

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
MU Donations
« on: December 04, 2015, 10:38:43 AM »
This is an open note to anyone from the "Office of Advancement" / call center for donations.  DO NOT solicit season ticket holders for donations in the middle of a MU game. 

During the middle of the Grambling game (yes, I know it's only Grambling, but still...) they called.  I was not so annoyed with the call as I was with the stupidity of a marketing department calling season ticket holders during the middle of a game.  Talk about wasting resources, A. they are either going to be at the game B. not going to answer that call during the game or C. answering and asking what the hell someone is doing asking for money for Marquette during a game.

Anyone else had the same experience?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Re: MU Donations
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 10:49:53 AM »
Same. I laughed, but I was mad.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 11:23:23 AM »
I was called during the Packer-Lions game last night, told them I was glad they called to distract me since it was 17-0 then.

BrandonA

• Walk-On
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 11:46:30 AM »
I don't know about you but I have (414) 288-4703 plugged into my phone as "Marquette" so I know to just not answer.  They call me around 8PM two or three times a week and my wife about 15 minutes after me.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 12:03:03 PM »
Well... keep in mind that this is the same Office of Advancement who is foregoing thousands of dollars a year in scholarship money because they're too damn lazy/ignorant to setup an MU license plate offering with the Illinois Secretary of State.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Marquette Fan in WI

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 12:03:54 PM »
I have them blocked when I was working at MU they don't call employees. Figure my 150k of student loans is enough for awhile. Tuition needs to be controlled IMHO.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 12:12:29 PM »
We can be like ND and assign quotas and have friends pressure you via shame for not donating.  Open your wallets, boys.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 12:15:07 PM »
To be honest, the MU donation request calls were probably the tipping point to us getting caller ID service back when you had to pay extra for it.  I got so sick of them calling I was willing to pay to be able to see that it was MU so I just didn't answer.  Two kids in Catholic grade school at the time, I was more concerned with paying their tuition than someone else's college tuition.

Call me in about 10 years and I will start to consider it.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 12:19:30 PM »
They completely lost track of me, which is surprising since I've given in the past. It's nice.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 12:34:11 PM »
As a former student caller for MU, you know you can just say, "please don't call me for donations," and they take you off their list, right?

Seems like it would save a lot of trouble and butthurt if an occasional call freaks everyone out so much.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 12:47:05 PM »
As a former student caller for MU, you know you can just say, "please don't call me for donations," and they take you off their list, right?

Seems like it would save a lot of trouble and butthurt if an occasional call freaks everyone out so much.

Last year, I asked them to call me back in the fall of 2019 when all my kids are in school and we won't have daycare costs anymore. No calls so far this year. We'll see.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 01:03:30 PM »
To be honest, the MU donation request calls were probably the tipping point to us getting caller ID service back when you had to pay extra for it.  I got so sick of them calling I was willing to pay to be able to see that it was MU so I just didn't answer.  Two kids in Catholic grade school at the time, I was more concerned with paying their tuition than someone else's college tuition.

I had contributed every year, but since my son (who is a senior in a private college now) went to college I've told the nice young man or woman that we are not going to donate until after he graduates in the spring of 2016.  Each time the MU person tells me nicely that they will make a note and not call until then.  Then they call my wife and the conversation repeats itself.  And of course they don't make the note (my guess is the don't have such a mechanism) because they keep calling every year and I keep having the exact same conversation.  I always take the call because they're going to keep calling until I do, and I'd rather have the four minute phone conversation than hear the phone ring night after night.

In the end its not too big a deal to have a couple 4 minute conversations twice a year, so it doesn't really bother me.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2015, 01:18:21 PM »
Two kids in Catholic grade school at the time, I was more concerned with paying their tuition than someone else's college tuition.

This is where we find ourselves.  Currently, we're working very hard to pay one private college tuition, two Catholic HS tuitions and one Catholic grade school tuition.  I love Marquette, and deeply value what I received there, but for the next decade or so we're going to be a little strapped.  Eventually, I'm sure we'll return to supporting our alma mater.  I realize that many would say that this is a rationalization and an excuse...and I'm OK with that.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU_CHI

• Walk-On
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2015, 01:23:39 PM »
No one has anything better to do than gripe about a few phone calls? Yikes

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2015, 01:24:58 PM »

As a former student caller myself listen to what this guy is saying. 

Strokin 3s I'm sorry that you were so bugged but I'm assuming you were a complete d*ck about it as many are who feel we interrupted their schedule.  It's a student job for young adults going to the same university you guys proudly represent just chill out and say not interested or don't answer. Realize the program decides who we call we didn't think to ourselves "hey I really wanna bug some season ticket holders right now"

I had contributed every year, but since my son (who is a senior in a private college now) went to college I've told the nice young man or woman that we are not going to donate until after he graduates in the spring of 2016.  Each time the MU person tells me nicely that they will make a note and not call until then.  Then they call my wife and the conversation repeats itself.  And of course they don't make the note (my guess is the don't have such a mechanism) because they keep calling every year and I keep having the exact same conversation.  I always take the call because they're going to keep calling until I do, and I'd rather have the four minute phone conversation than hear the phone ring night after night.

In the end its not too big a deal to have a couple 4 minute conversations twice a year, so it doesn't really bother me.

They have the option but most callers click call back at a later date and such instead of writing in the notes do not call till x date. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2015, 01:26:35 PM »

I am assuming you weren't responding to me directly, but others on the thread...but I guess my point was more the calls don't bother me, they are what they are and we all understand them I think.  What bugs me is that whoever is assigning these students to call during these hours should really know their audience better.

Calling in the middle of a game to season ticket holders is likely to yield no answer from many since they are at the game.  Many more no answer since they are watching the game and don't want to talk now and many more that answer and then are mad that they called during the game.

I just think you take 1 hour on either side of game time start and end and say during this time we are stuffing mailers or something like that since I am going to venture to guess their success rate is very low during games.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2015, 01:28:48 PM »
As a former student caller myself listen to what this guy is saying. 

Strokin 3s I'm sorry that you were so bugged but I'm assuming you were a complete d*ck about it as many are who feel we interrupted their schedule. It's a student job for young adults going to the same university you guys proudly represent just chill out and say not interested or don't answer. Realize the program decides who we call we didn't think to ourselves "hey I really wanna bug some season ticket holders right now"

They have the option but most callers click call back at a later date and such instead of writing in the notes do not call till x date.

Thanks for the call out, you should re-read my post and my subsequent one.  No problem with the calls...  I am always very nice to the students when I do answer.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2015, 01:34:01 PM »
Thanks for the call out, you should re-read my post and my subsequent one.  No problem with the calls...  I am always very nice to the students when I do answer.

Callers don't stuff mailers. The way it works is it's segmented so if you're not donating to the Blue and Gold fund you are probably in a different segment than you would be if you were. I don't remember calling any Blue and Gold fund segments during games. 

You're welcome for the call out, forgive me for assuming that someone who was annoyed with a glitch enough to post a thread about it would have been annoyed enough to be rude to an 18-22 year old who had no control over the call. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2015, 01:34:52 PM »
I am assuming you weren't responding to me directly, but others on the thread...but I guess my point was more the calls don't bother me, they are what they are and we all understand them I think.  What bugs me is that whoever is assigning these students to call during these hours should really know their audience better.

Calling in the middle of a game to season ticket holders is likely to yield no answer from many since they are at the game.  Many more no answer since they are watching the game and don't want to talk now and many more that answer and then are mad that they called during the game.

I just think you take 1 hour on either side of game time start and end and say during this time we are stuffing mailers or something like that since I am going to venture to guess their success rate is very low during games.

We've got at least a couple former callers on this thread, so I'm sure they can address this better than I can and correct me if I'm wrong.  But if their system is similar to many, the kids probably not "calling" anyone.  These systems are often automated.  A computer is dialing and once someone answers, they get connected with a caller.  That's why there is often a noticeable delay of a second or two when you answer a solicitation call.  From the caller's perspective, it's not like they're dialing, waiting for someone to answer, hanging up and then dialing the next number.  But maybe Marquette doesn't have such a system.

Also, I always try to remember that those of us who passionately follow the basketball team are a very small minority of alums.  They're not going to tailor their calling practices around us.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2015, 01:49:36 PM »
Callers don't stuff mailers. The way it works is it's segmented so if you're not donating to the Blue and Gold fund you are probably in a different segment than you would be if you were. I don't remember calling any Blue and Gold fund segments during games. 

You're welcome for the call out, forgive me for assuming that someone who was annoyed with a glitch enough to post a thread about it would have been annoyed enough to be rude to an 18-22 year old who had no control over the call.

It sounds like you are so upset about about a perceived slight that you feel the need to continue to look past my point.  I posted because I wondered if other season ticket holders had the same experience.

Stuffing mailers was an example, might as well just be non-working hours, whatever it is was my point.

No where did I ever mention anything about the callers themselves whether they are calling from a list or a automated system that picks the line that answers first makes no difference.  It is the timing of such calls and "attack plan" so to speak.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2015, 01:56:50 PM »
No where did I ever mention anything about the callers themselves whether they are calling from a list or a automated system that picks the line that answers first makes no difference.

My only point was that from the caller's perspective, the fact that a game is going on probably doesn't even register a perceptible change.  I would guess that on any given night, the vast majority of people called do not answer.  The incremental change because a basketball game is going on probably barely even "moves the needle" on the number of no-answers that the callers are getting.

I happen to agree with your underlying point that calling during a game might not be the best strategy.  But I doubt it makes a noticeable difference to the callers.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2015, 01:58:27 PM »
In fairness:

A) The students are calling the universe of alumni, not just season ticket holders.

B) The alumni call list probably doesn't have a "Season Ticket Holder" designation by the names.

C) The students calling were probably just as surprised to be talking to an alum who was actually at the GSU game.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2015, 02:01:03 PM »
By the way, I would really appreciate if a phone-a-thon caller would give me a ring... I haven't made my annual B&G donation and I'm too lazy/ignorant to get off Scoop and go to the website where I could make said donation.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2015, 02:01:11 PM »
I don't think the calls are a big deal.  The only issue I have is when I don't have time to answer the calls - why can't they simply leave a message instead of hanging up.  A polite message would sure be more professional than just hanging up and calling again...

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2015, 02:03:53 PM »
I have no problem with the calls, but a little variety in timing would help. If you've called me at 6:30 M/T/W and I haven't picked up, maybe don't call me at 6:30 on Thursday.

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2015, 02:06:09 PM »
I got my call last night. The girl was very nice and wanted to know how the games were for me so far. So yes, they knew I was a season ticket holder, not random. I'm renovating my house now so I said I'm going to hold off. She politely asked if they can call back in the spring, I said that would be best.

Overall pleasant experience. If anyone is a d*ck to these kids, it's probably indicative to who they are to everyone else. If you got caller id because of these calls, you probably also have a ball retriever in your golf bag.
"You know, most people would kill... to be treated like a god, just for a few moments." - Coach Norman Dale

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2015, 02:08:09 PM »
B) The alumni call list probably doesn't have a "Season Ticket Holder" designation by the names.

As a four-year "team leader" for the Annual Fund, I can tell you this is absolutely true.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2015, 02:16:56 PM »
But they know who donates to the B&G Fund apparently, which will certainly include some non-season ticket holders, I am sure it would serve as a good proxy for Season ticket holders since your donations are more valuable there.

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2015, 02:19:37 PM »
This was for B & G donations, so they know season ticket holders. The girl flat out said, we want to thank you for being a season ticket holder.
"You know, most people would kill... to be treated like a god, just for a few moments." - Coach Norman Dale

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2015, 02:28:02 PM »
This is an open note to anyone from the "Office of Advancement" / call center for donations.  DO NOT solicit season ticket holders for donations in the middle of a MU game. 

During the middle of the Grambling game (yes, I know it's only Grambling, but still...) they called.  I was not so annoyed with the call as I was with the stupidity of a marketing department calling season ticket holders during the middle of a game.  Talk about wasting resources, A. they are either going to be at the game B. not going to answer that call during the game or C. answering and asking what the hell someone is doing asking for money for Marquette during a game.

Anyone else had the same experience?
That's pretty bad. The Lyric Opera called me in the middle of a Cubs playoff game and I practically lost my 5hit.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2015, 02:30:39 PM »
Well... keep in mind that this is the same Office of Advancement who is foregoing thousands of dollars a year in scholarship money because they're too damn lazy/ignorant to setup an MU license plate offering with the Illinois Secretary of State.

I was also wondering at this, Benny.

Looks like as of July 1, 2016, an organization will only need a 2,000 plate commitment (as opposed to 10,000 plates currently), so there should be no reason not to.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/99/PDF/099-0483.pdf

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2015, 03:13:16 PM »
Blanket recommendation to those among us who want to support MU financially but don't enjoy telemarketing calls:

1) Ask to not be called
2) Set up a regular donation to go to MU
3) Find other things to post about on muscoop
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2015, 03:13:30 PM »
I always laugh because I almost always get them during the games.  Good strategy.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2015, 03:25:54 PM »
Was called during the IUPUI game.  I still can't believe they constantly call and snail mail me.  Do they also try to send a fax?  It's not 1990, send an e-mail.  I've checked to make sure they have my e-mail, yet I never, ever receive anything.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2015, 03:28:49 PM »
Was called during the IUPUI game.  I still can't believe they constantly call and snail mail me.  Do they also try to send a fax?  It's not 1990, send an e-mail.  I've checked to make sure they have my e-mail, yet I never, ever receive anything.

Phone is the most cost effective way to raise annual fund dollars.  Emails are cheap but get very little return.  At many organizations, the annual fund is really struggling. 

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2015, 03:30:22 PM »
Can't believe the level of complaining here

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2015, 03:40:30 PM »
My annual donation to Marquette is going to be whatever my donation to the Blue and Gold fund for my season tickets.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2015, 03:49:24 PM »

Phonathon calls asking for donations are annoying. 

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2015, 04:23:39 PM »
Not to sound like a broken record here, but it seems really simple to me

Tell them not to call you and unsubscribe to emails. Then donate or don't however much/little you'd like.

If this basic concept is stumping you, the only blame MU is accountable for is admitting you in the first place.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2015, 04:43:19 PM »

Agreed. It's just a phone call, and it's from your alma mater. No reason to get angry about it. The students who call me are always pleasant, and I see no reason not to be pleasant back.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2015, 05:20:00 PM »
What I would appreciate is if the callers would identify themselves as from Marquette up front.  We have a somewhat difficult to pronounce last name, so one of our practices to avoid talking to telemarketers is to say "so-and-so isn't here" when the pronunciation is mangled (ie, people who clearly don't know us).  However, I do like to talk to our various alma maters' students when they call, so if they said right away, "this is Marquette university and I'm calling for Mrs. X" they might get more money from me.

Of course, paying two MU tuitions right now (down from 3 last year) makes me feel like I'm donating an awful lot already...
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2015, 06:52:29 PM »
What I would appreciate is if the callers would identify themselves as from Marquette up front.  We have a somewhat difficult to pronounce last name, so one of our practices to avoid talking to telemarketers is to say "so-and-so isn't here" when the pronunciation is mangled (ie, people who clearly don't know us).  However, I do like to talk to our various alma maters' students when they call, so if they said right away, "this is Marquette university and I'm calling for Mrs. X" they might get more money from me.

Of course, paying two MU tuitions right now (down from 3 last year) makes me feel like I'm donating an awful lot already...

You would think that after the first time you correct them, there would be a place in there system for the caller to enter the phonetic spelling of your name.

But I know what you mean. As a general rule, as soon as any caller starts tripping up on my last name, I hang up the phone.
Have some patience, FFS.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2015, 07:18:06 PM »
Seriously, here is a simple answer: Donate $25 and be done with it.  That is 10 minutes of your professional time.  Every MU graduate who had a positive experience should give 50 cents per week.  Sheesh

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2015, 11:02:33 PM »
I was also wondering at this, Benny.

Looks like as of July 1, 2016, an organization will only need a 2,000 plate commitment (as opposed to 10,000 plates currently), so there should be no reason not to.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/99/PDF/099-0483.pdf

Hell, I could probably put together several hundred on my own by passing out flyers at a game.  With a bit of help, we don't even need MU... we'll just start our own MUScoop schollie fund.

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2015, 11:31:10 PM »
One item I found while working the phones at MU (maybe some of my cohorts could weigh in), was that the alumni who made the biggest stink about a particular issue "I'm not donating until [The Warrior Nickname Comes Back] / [LGBT Groups are Banned] / [etc]" were the ones with a tiny donation history. Like $10 ONCE.

It's the 80/20 rule 80% of talk time with folks who donated the least. The most pleasant, easygoing folks were the ones who would say, "Oh yeah, I forgot to do that this year. Let's do $1,000."

chapman

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2015, 11:50:45 PM »
You would think that after the first time you correct them, there would be a place in there system for the caller to enter the phonetic spelling of your name.

That and collect a couple bits of data asking for preferred method and time of contact would be a great idea...I mean, they teach students to do that when they enter the workforce after all.  ;)

Seriously, here is a simple answer: Donate $25 and be done with it.  That is 10 minutes of your professional time.  Every MU graduate who had a positive experience should give 50 cents per week.  Sheesh

I spend about 90 seconds annually clicking a couple buttons to do it online, and add the value of all that time saved to my donation  :P

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2015, 08:33:13 AM »
One item I found while working the phones at MU (maybe some of my cohorts could weigh in), was that the alumni who made the biggest stink about a particular issue "I'm not donating until [The Warrior Nickname Comes Back] / [LGBT Groups are Banned] / [etc]" were the ones with a tiny donation history. Like $10 ONCE.

It's the 80/20 rule 80% of talk time with folks who donated the least. The most pleasant, easygoing folks were the ones who would say, "Oh yeah, I forgot to do that this year. Let's do $1,000."

This was discussed in a another thread awhile back.  If you don't want to donate, just say so.  Don't make some lame-ass excuse. 

And saying you refuse to help out current students because you don't like the school's nickname just makes you look like a dick.
Have some patience, FFS.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2015, 09:59:37 AM »

And gear it up an hour after a big win.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2015, 01:53:03 PM »

Phonathon calls asking for donations are annoying.

No doubt. But big deal. Ignore the call or block it. Everyone knows what a 414-288 number is.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2015, 01:54:40 PM »
No doubt. But big deal. Ignore the call or block it. Everyone knows what a 414-288 number is.

Actually when they called last night, I asked them to remove my number from their telethon.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2015, 01:55:54 PM »

Actually when they called last night, I asked them to remove my number from their telethon.

That's your right and I don't have a problem with you doing that.

I could do without the moaning and groaning on here when the solution is so simple.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2015, 02:28:37 PM »

Not surprised one bit.  Also, that guy who gave $50 two years ago thinking that you ought to have courtside seats ready for them because of it.   ::)

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2015, 04:25:03 PM »
You know these people are trying to help your alma mater right? We need these donations and this office full of people willing to take your rude and hard treatment to keep our school achieving.

Maybe support instead of complaining would help!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2015, 04:28:27 PM »
You know these people are trying to help your alma mater right? We need these donations and this office full of people willing to take your rude and hard treatment to keep our school achieving.

Maybe support instead of complaining would help!

Sorry, but Marquette just isn't one of my philanthropic priorities. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2015, 02:26:19 PM »

Sorry, but Marquette just isn't one of my philanthropic priorities. 

I get this, and I don't have a problem with people choosing where (or to whom) their money should go.  For 90% of the alumnosphere, it doesn't bother me if someone doesn't donate, but what does bother me is when people, who had most/all of their tab picked up by MU, go on to bigger and better things and still don't donate.

I can see how a MUBB alum might conclude that he contributed multiple times the value of his scholarship on the court (and he may very well be right), but for all of the other athletes and non-athletes who attended on a full or half-ride (i.e. not simply a Pere Marquette or competition scholarship), I'd be curious to see what the average donation is relative to the average donation outside this cohort.

Personally, I don't feel a moral obligation to contribute (over my lifetime) the $45k or so in tuition I never had to pay, but I'm sure as hell going to try... although I truly hope I'm not an anomaly, I have a sickening feeling that I am.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2015, 02:38:52 PM »
I get this, and I don't have a problem with people choosing where (or to whom) their money should go.  For 90% of the alumnosphere, it doesn't bother me if someone doesn't donate, but what does bother me is when people, who had most/all of their tab picked up by MU, go on to bigger and better things and still don't donate.

I can see how a MUBB alum might conclude that he contributed multiple times the value of his scholarship on the court (and he may very well be right), but for all of the other athletes and non-athletes who attended on a full or half-ride (i.e. not simply a Pere Marquette or competition scholarship), I'd be curious to see what the average donation is relative to the average donation outside this cohort.

Personally, I don't feel a moral obligation to contribute (over my lifetime) the $45k or so in tuition I never had to pay, but I'm sure as hell going to try... although I truly hope I'm not an anomaly, I have a sickening feeling that I am.

Just remember that those tuition discounts / scholarships are built into the overall financial model.

Anyway as I have gotten older, I have focused giving more on certain organizations.  A couple church based...a couple local charities...get most of the Sultan family's moderate giving. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2015, 05:09:04 PM »
I'm forgetting the exact number but MU's participation rate is relatively poor compared to our direct competition.  Also remember that giving a couple hundred bucks spread across a large universe can make a real difference. Don't think you need to give six figures to be impactful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2015, 05:32:37 PM »
I'm forgetting the exact number but MU's participation rate is relatively poor compared to our direct competition.  Also remember that giving a couple hundred bucks spread across a large universe can make a real difference. Don't think you need to give six figures to be impactful.
This is a good point. Get the percentages up.

Would like to see MU start offering full ride academic scholarships. Over time that will build our rating up as we get more cream of the crop students.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2015, 08:47:30 PM »
They just called me during this game. Two games in a row now.

This cracks me up!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2015, 09:01:05 PM »
Jacking up the alumni participation rate is probably the last reason I would choose to give.