[May 08, 2024, 07:39:19 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[May 08, 2024, 08:59:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Walk-ons  (Read 8937 times)

Texas Western

• All American
Re: Walk-ons
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2014, 11:36:00 AM »
We have 11 players for practice with Luke and Wally. So from that perspective we don't need a walk on. Yes we are thin if there is an injury, but I think the players would prefer to soak up as many minutes as possible.

I think there needs to be some further clarification as to what a walk on is. Most " walk ons" are invited to play on the team but there is no open scholarship for . Michigan State has done this for years as there are some kids who love the school and want to part of it. Sometimes they turn into key role players, the way Austin Thornton was for MSU a few years ago. Sometimes they are just practice players.  Many times, these are highly motivated academic kids, who love the sport and want to be true student athletes. Other times they are kids who are low D-1 or D-2 who want to be part of a high D-1 experience. In most cases they are pre identified. I think over time , Wojo will  see the benefit have a few of these players on the team, rather than having a disgruntled recruited kid leave because he is the 13 player on the roster. Marquette is a popular school so I can see something like this evolving with kids from the region. Particularly ones with size.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2014, 04:49:05 PM »
We have 11 players for practice with Luke and Wally. So from that perspective we don't need a walk on. Yes we are thin if there is an injury, but I think the players would prefer to soak up as many minutes as possible.

I think there needs to be some further clarification as to what a walk on is. Most " walk ons" are invited to play on the team but there is no open scholarship for . Michigan State has done this for years as there are some kids who love the school and want to part of it. Sometimes they turn into key role players, the way Austin Thornton was for MSU a few years ago. Sometimes they are just practice players.  Many times, these are highly motivated academic kids, who love the sport and want to be true student athletes. Other times they are kids who are low D-1 or D-2 who want to be part of a high D-1 experience. In most cases they are pre identified. I think over time , Wojo will  see the benefit have a few of these players on the team, rather than having a disgruntled recruited kid leave because he is the 13 player on the roster. Marquette is a popular school so I can see something like this evolving with kids from the region. Particularly ones with size.

Depending on whether they want to take on the price tag to do so.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Nephew

• Walk-On
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2014, 05:11:40 PM »
Do any current students know whether there were tryouts for walk-ons prior to the season?  If they did have tryouts, maybe the coaching staff just didn't see anything they were looking for.

I doubt that Wojo has philosophical opposition to walk-ons, but Coach K/Duke's philosophy towards them might shed some light on the issue.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 05:13:43 PM by Nephew »
mu_hilltopper (global moderator): "Nephew, people put you on 'ignore' because your post was so over-the-top dumb that people are taking an immediate dislike to you. Sorry."

wadesworld: [Nephew] "must be a recent communications grad"

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2014, 08:37:34 PM »
I suspect that if we need a body for practice, that Diener could play. It could be more of an issue this year, but an MU player rarely fouls out. I would guess that under Buzz that there were less than 10 players fouling out in 6 years.
There was noboby close to fouling out in the Ohio St. game.