[Today at 12:22:29 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 11:54:18 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Walk-ons  (Read 8938 times)

WarhawkWarrior

• Team Captain
Walk-ons
« on: November 17, 2014, 03:47:58 PM »
Sorry if this has been discussed but I was out of the loop for awhile.  Have we picked up a student walk-on this year?  Rather concerning with an injury or two we may need bodies in the game if foul situations arise.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Walk-ons
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 03:50:58 PM »
None on the official roster.

MU62

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 03:59:59 PM »
I was just going to ask the same question.  With the injury situation and strong possibility of foul trouble, we don't apparently have a plan at this time.  I still remember when Diener went down and we had to use a walk on to take his place.   

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 04:08:16 PM »
Yeah, I find it odd that they didn't add a few walk ons to the roster. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 04:10:04 PM »
I suspect that if we need a body for practice, that Diener could play. It could be more of an issue this year, but an MU player rarely fouls out. I would guess that under Buzz that there were less than 10 players fouling out in 6 years.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 04:15:44 PM »
Maybe as a new coach Wojo just wanted to focus on his scholarship players?  Maybe he has no use for walk-ons in general?

I'm not sure Travis Deiner can participate in an official practice since he isn't one of the three "official" assistant coaches.  (Carrawell, Nelson, Phelps.)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 04:17:38 PM »
Maybe as a new coach Wojo just wanted to focus on his scholarship players?  Maybe he has no use for walk-ons in general?

I'm not sure Travis Deiner can participate in an official practice since he isn't one of the three "official" assistant coaches.  (Carrawell, Nelson, Phelps.)

There is always a use for walkons when your roster goes 9 deep.  Literally, MU is screwed if (knock on wood) two guys go down with serious injuries.  Obviously walk-ons aren't going to bring you to March, but its better than playing 5 of 4.  Hopefully we don't find out the hard way. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 04:23:36 PM »
There is always a use for walkons when your roster goes 9 deep.  Literally, MU is screwed if (knock on wood) two guys go down with serious injuries.  Obviously walk-ons aren't going to bring you to March, but its better than playing 5 of 4.  Hopefully we don't find out the hard way. 

Well I hope that injuries wouldn't mean a literal screwing.  That seems harsh.

Send an email to Wojo.  Maybe he could let you know what his thoughts are.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 04:35:34 PM »

Send an email to Wojo.  Maybe he could let you know what his thoughts are.

You're such a funny guy.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 04:45:55 PM »

Not sure about that. I have always found it the perfect tonic for whatever ails me...

Death on call

GOO

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 04:53:04 PM »
Not sure about that. I have always found it the perfect tonic for whatever ails me...
Too funny.  Good to have Keefe back.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 05:32:39 PM »
Matt Velazquez addressed this question in his chat last week:

Wojo seems averse to adding walk-ons because he's focused on building the players he has. He said he won't close the door on any opportunity to get better, but he's supremely focused on the players he has. Will his view on walk-ons change if there are a couple injuries? We'll see.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 09:23:03 AM »
Matt Velazquez addressed this question in his chat last week:

Wojo seems averse to adding walk-ons because he's focused on building the players he has. He said he won't close the door on any opportunity to get better, but he's supremely focused on the players he has. Will his view on walk-ons change if there are a couple injuries? We'll see.

The other problem with walk ons is that they have to be currently enrolled students.  You don't see a lot of guys not capable of latching on to a D1 scholarship somewhere paying Marquette's tuition and walking on to the team.

I get the concept of bodies for practice, but if they're going to be caliber of, say, Wisconsin Lutheran's players, what's the point?
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 09:31:54 AM »
The other problem with walk ons is that they have to be currently enrolled students.  You don't see a lot of guys not capable of latching on to a D1 scholarship somewhere paying Marquette's tuition and walking on to the team.

I get the concept of bodies for practice, but if they're going to be caliber of, say, Wisconsin Lutheran's players, what's the point?

The point is that you'd have some bodies in case someone goes down with injury during a game.  One guy gets injured tonight and two get into foul trouble and we are suddenly without a sub.  I find it highly unlikely there aren't a couple Rob Frozena-types walking around campus.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 09:36:04 AM »
The point is that you'd have some bodies in case someone goes down with injury during a game.  One guy gets injured tonight and two get into foul trouble and we are suddenly without a sub.  I find it highly unlikely there aren't a couple Rob Frozena-types walking around campus.

I knew a guy who was Allstate honorable mention in illinois while I was at MU. He didn't even try out because there's a perception that the MU team is essentially already pros.  So while there probably is a couple rob frozenas (who I think was better than Dylan flood) I think it'd be hard to get them to try out.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2014, 09:47:25 AM »
There's always a few students playing at the Rec Center that are capable of being walk-ons, or are even better than our recent walk-ons, but the amount of time and effort you have to put in to be on the team for virtually no return just doesn't make it worth the hassle for most people.  It takes a certain type of person to do that.

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 09:48:58 AM »
Talented enough to be worth coach's time, willing enough to cover the needed cost of tuition, and stupid enough to forgo your god given right to stumble around campus at all hours of the day in a lush-haze!

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2014, 10:04:15 AM »

Except for that burning sensation you get from poor tonic selection.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 10:35:24 AM »

Keep in mind who would be doing the screwing, though. 
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 10:46:30 AM »

Is there really a rule that would prevent someone in Diener's job from practicing with the team? I'm not asking to be a wise-arse. I really don't know and would like to.

If a history professor or department secretary wanted to run a little with the team in practice and the coach wanted to let him or her, is there a rule preventing that? If President Obama showed up in Milwaukee for some reason and wanted to run with the team for 30 minutes, would it be an NCAA violation?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2014, 10:52:21 AM »
Is there really a rule that would prevent someone in Diener's job from practicing with the team? I'm not asking to be a wise-arse. I really don't know and would like to.

If a history professor or department secretary wanted to run a little with the team in practice and the coach wanted to let him or her, is there a rule preventing that? If President Obama showed up in Milwaukee for some reason and wanted to run with the team for 30 minutes, would it be an NCAA violation?

I think if there was such a rule, it would be almost impossible to enforce. For example, who is to say that if he is playing in an in-practice scrimmage, it is not simply coaching by demonstrating the proper way to do something?

And I am guessing it is okay for a history prof to practice with the team.  Dr. Lovell has done it on several occasions, and the athletic department posted pictures of it everywhere.
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2014, 10:59:15 AM »
The rule is that you can only have the head coach and three assistants participate somehow in practice.  Deiner isn't one of the assistants...he is the director of player development.

I might be mistaken on that.  JayBee could provide more clarification.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2014, 11:02:37 AM »

I believe so, yes. As I understand it, NCAA rules say only the head coach and full assistants are allowed to participate in practices.

w0bbie

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2014, 11:03:04 AM »

Here's a quote from a PT article:

"As director of basketball operations, Diener is expressly forbidden from recruiting and being on the court during practices. Instead he will tasked with maintaining relationships with the players and doing work behind the scenes."

http://painttouches.com/2014/09/17/travis-diener-bridging-marquette-past-to-present/

MU82

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2014, 11:13:32 AM »
Here's a quote from a PT article:

"As director of basketball operations, Diener is expressly forbidden from recruiting and being on the court during practices. Instead he will tasked with maintaining relationships with the players and doing work behind the scenes."

http://painttouches.com/2014/09/17/travis-diener-bridging-marquette-past-to-present/

Thanks!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback