[Today at 12:22:29 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 11:54:18 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: VanderBlue in Erie last night....  (Read 8933 times)

ecompt

• All American
VanderBlue in Erie last night....
« on: February 23, 2014, 03:43:35 PM »
wife put on her MU colors and went down at halftime and took a pic. Vander had a big smile when he saw her in the gold and blue. Side note: One of Blue's teammates on Delaware is Damian Saunders, former MU recruit who wound up at Duquesne.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: VanderBlue in Erie last night....
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 03:55:10 PM »
post the pic!

MU_LOL

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 04:16:28 PM »
I'm Ron Burgundy?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 04:26:41 PM »
despite his ill advised decision-i wish him well!!  maybe he's taking the long way to the show
don't...don't don't don't don't

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 04:35:38 PM »
despite his ill advised decision-i wish him well!!  maybe he's taking the long way to the show

Ugh, this again. I don't understand why so many insist that VB made a big mistake leaving early. Just because he didn't get drafted doesn't necessarily make the decision a mistake.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 04:38:15 PM »
hope the picture attaches

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 04:50:34 PM »
Ugh, this again. I don't understand why so many insist that VB made a big mistake leaving early. Just because he didn't get drafted doesn't necessarily make the decision a mistake.

Nor the reverse.  Would have been interesting to see if he would have been drafted this year had he stayed.  I'll say yes.  Would have been interesting to see if he would have been drafted in the 1st round this year?  We'll never know. 

towncryer

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 04:57:44 PM »
For selfish reasons, I wish he'd stayed.  His life, though.  He made the decision that he thought was best for him at the time.  I hope it works out for him.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 05:02:55 PM »
No high-five?!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 05:18:52 PM »
Slap of five.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 05:24:03 PM »
Nor the reverse.  Would have been interesting to see if he would have been drafted this year had he stayed.  I'll say yes.  Would have been interesting to see if he would have been drafted in the 1st round this year?  We'll never know. 
Ugh, this again.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 03:22:34 AM »
Unless he gets called up, here's his schedule with the Delaware 87ers: http://www.nba.com/media/dleague/delaware/2013-14_87ers_Calendar.pdf

Trent's schedule (Reno Big Horns): http://www.nba.com/dleague/reno/1314_printable_schedule_2013_09_05.html

DJO's Springfield Armor schedule: http://www.nba.com/dleague/springfield/photos/2013-14_ArmorSeasonSchedule.pdf
Didn't know he went off for 30+ in 5 games including a 41 effort.

SS Marquette

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 08:03:38 AM »
Unless he gets called up, here's his schedule with the Delaware 87ers: http://www.nba.com/media/dleague/delaware/2013-14_87ers_Calendar.pdf

Trent's schedule (Reno Big Horns): http://www.nba.com/dleague/reno/1314_printable_schedule_2013_09_05.html

DJO's Springfield Armor schedule: http://www.nba.com/dleague/springfield/photos/2013-14_ArmorSeasonSchedule.pdf
Didn't know he went off for 30+ in 5 games including a 41 effort.

Is it just me, or does the D-league win the prize for the worst team names in professional sports?
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 08:14:39 AM »
Is it just me, or does the D-league win the prize for the worst team names in professional sports?

It's not just you.  The Reno Big Horns - lol.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 08:38:37 AM »

The famous Armory in Springfield has supplied weapons to the USA since the American Revolution.

OK, you got me on Big Horns.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 08:45:43 AM »

Then I'll explain it.  I never heard Vander or anyone else say that he was leaving school early to go play in Europe or the D-league.  The sole reason he gave was to declare for the NBA draft and it didn't work out.  Sure, maybe Vander ends up fine in the long run but when you sacrifice a great opportunity specifically for another opportunity that does not pan out, that's going to be seen as a mistake.  Whatever happens in the future, I think for this season he would have been better off being at MU.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 08:55:29 AM »
Then I'll explain it.  I never heard Vander or anyone else say that he was leaving school early to go play in Europe or the D-league.  The sole reason he gave was to declare for the NBA draft and it didn't work out.  Sure, maybe Vander ends up fine in the long run but when you sacrifice a great opportunity specifically for another opportunity that does not pan out, that's going to be seen as a mistake.  Whatever happens in the future, I think for this season he would have been better off being at MU.

When Van was in high-school he was very vocal about leaving college early to play ball. That never changed.

Nobody should have been surprised.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 09:12:17 AM »
Then I'll explain it.  I never heard Vander or anyone else say that he was leaving school early to go play in Europe or the D-league.  The sole reason he gave was to declare for the NBA draft and it didn't work out.  Sure, maybe Vander ends up fine in the long run but when you sacrifice a great opportunity specifically for another opportunity that does not pan out, that's going to be seen as a mistake.  Whatever happens in the future, I think for this season he would have been better off being at MU.

He's playing basketball professionally and no longer has classes and studying to worry about. He'd obviously rather be in the NBA (as would I  ;)) but if he's happy with his life, who are we to say that the decision "didn't pan out."

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 09:40:00 AM »
I mean, selfishly I wish he would have stayed but if I had the chance to leave school after this year to get paid for doing something I love I would do it in an instance. Im tired of school and im sure he is too. Youve been pretty much doing the same thing over and over for 15 years now.

MU31

• Walk-On
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 10:06:18 AM »
I have no idea what it's worth, or how it's calculated, but according to the Dleague website DJO is currently listed as #4 on the "prospect watch", and Vander is #9.  Tyshawn Taylor is #3.

westcoastwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 12:13:37 PM »
Speaking of the Springfield Armor...

Watched DJO score 29 points in a romping of the Santa Cruz Warriors.  Plus he shut down Seth Curry on the offensive end.

Reno Big Horns (a ram is their mascot) has Trent Lockett on the team.

patso

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2014, 12:25:10 PM »
DJO will get another shot

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2014, 12:55:09 PM »
Kurt Rambis of the Lakers is very high on DJO. I'm sure he will get on an NBA roster

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2014, 01:06:15 PM »
The famous Armory in Springfield has supplied weapons to the USA since the American Revolution.

OK, you got me on Big Horns.

If you have to explain it, it is not a good name.  The exception to this rule is high school teams (Watersmeet Nimrods, anyone?) in which honoring a small town's history is cool.

Behold the list of suck:

Austin Toros
Bakersfield Jam (Is Bugs Bunny playing PG?)
Canton Charge
Delaware 87ers
Erie BayHawks
Fort Wayne Mad Ants (Did the owners lose a bet or something?)
Idaho Stampede
Iowa Energy
Los Angeles D-Fenders (A pun?  Really?)
Maine Red Claws
Reno Bighorns
Rio Grande Valley Vipers
Sioux Falls Skyforce
Springfield Armor
Texas Legends (How can you be a legend if you haven't even made The Dance?)

The only outstanding name is that of Santa Cruz. Anyone know what that one is?

Have some patience, FFS.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2014, 01:19:08 PM »

The University of Santa Cruz nickname is the Banana Slugs (one of my favorites).  Does Santa Cruz have an D-League team?
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2014, 01:21:08 PM »

Warriors...albeit with no Native American imagery.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2014, 01:55:42 PM »
If you have to explain it, it is not a good name.  The exception to this rule is high school teams (Watersmeet Nimrods, anyone?) in which honoring a small town's history is cool.

Behold the list of suck:

Austin Toros
Bakersfield Jam (Is Bugs Bunny playing PG?)
Canton Charge
Delaware 87ers
Erie BayHawks
Fort Wayne Mad Ants (Did the owners lose a bet or something?)
Idaho Stampede
Iowa Energy
Los Angeles D-Fenders (A pun?  Really?)
Maine Red Claws
Reno Bighorns
Rio Grande Valley Vipers
Sioux Falls Skyforce
Springfield Armor
Texas Legends (How can you be a legend if you haven't even made The Dance?)

When I think Iowa, I think Energy.

MUrugger

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2014, 02:49:15 PM »
OK esard, I get it.  You feel much the same way that Vander probably felt.  More than 15 years of doing the same thing over and over.  Tired of it.

But a career is likely to last 40 years beyond your graduation date; making a buck, providing for yourself and others, building something, like a name, a reputation.  You are doing the same thing over and over, so much so that people come to rely on it, will pay for it, a lot if you are good at it.

The NBA career averages less than 5 years.  VB has already cut into that life expectancy.  What does he do then?  Without a degree--offered for free to him at 22.  What do those statistics look like?  Not so good.  They strongly suggest that D-Leaguers who have earned their degree will significantly out-earn those who don't.  

The world is full of people who have made bad career decisions.  Many of them have become famously successful.  It's not what happens to you when you make a bad decision that matters, it's what you do about it.

Dreams do matter and life is about following them; but I agree with the notion stated earlier whether or not Erie = a bad decision when the stated objective was The League.  Indeed many High Schoolers are open to wisdom and counsel, and have reaped the benefits of their openness and that wisdom. Imagine!

I wish both you and Vander a long, prosperous and rewarding career that brings you great joy.  But nobody will drive that bus but you.  And if you steer into a ditch, you've got to be resourceful enough to get out of it.  A degree from MU can come in very handy, and will, to someone in that situation.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2014, 02:54:08 PM »
The NBA career averages less than 5 years.  VB has already cut into that life expectancy.  What does he do then?  Without a degree--offered for free to him at 22.  What do those statistics look like?  Not so good.  They strongly suggest that D-Leaguers who have earned their degree will significantly out-earn those who don't.  

Do you have these actual numbers? I'm not questioning it at all, I'd just like to see them.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2014, 02:56:56 PM »

I wish both you and Vander a long, prosperous and rewarding career that brings you great joy.  But nobody will drive that bus but you.  And if you steer into a ditch, you've got to be resourceful enough to get out of it.  A degree from MU can come in very handy, and will, to someone in that situation.

Did you use this analogy because Esard is a LIMO driver?
Have some patience, FFS.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2014, 02:59:18 PM »
Delaware 87ers.

Not that 8 is greater than 7, and 7 is greater than 6 (87>76) but it refers to the year Delaware became a state: 1887.

Yay.

Ft. Wayne Mad Ants...An ant is the mascot but it was named after the town's namesake: General "MAD" ANThony Wayne.

Yay.

Look at some of the defunct teams:

Team   City   Active year(s)   Former NBA affiliates   Notes
Albuquerque / New Mexico Thunderbirds    Albuquerque, New Mexico   2005–2011   Cleveland Cavaliers, Dallas Mavericks, Indiana Pacers, Miami Heat, New Orleans Hornets, Orlando Magic, Philadelphia 76ers, Phoenix Suns, Sacramento Kings, Seattle SuperSonics, Utah Jazz   Became the Canton Charge

Anaheim Arsenal   Anaheim, California   2006–2009   Atlanta Hawks, Los Angeles Clippers, Orlando Magic, Portland Trail Blazers   Became the Springfield Armor

Arkansas RimRockers   Little Rock, Arkansas   2004–2007   Atlanta Hawks, Cleveland Cavaliers, Memphis Grizzlies, Miami Heat, Toronto Raptors   Suspended by owners

Asheville Altitude   Asheville, North Carolina   2001–2005   None   Became the Tulsa 66ers

(North) Charleston Lowgators   Charleston, South Carolina   2001–2004   None   Became the Florida Flame

Colorado 14ers   Broomfield, Colorado   2006–2009   Denver Nuggets, New Jersey Nets, Toronto Raptors   Became the Texas Legends

Columbus Riverdragons   Columbus, Georgia   2001–2005   None   Became the Austin Toros

Dakota Wizards   Bismarck, North Dakota   2006–2012   Chicago Bulls, Golden State Warriors, Memphis Grizzlies, Washington Wizards   Became the Santa Cruz Warriors

Fayetteville Patriots   Fayetteville, North Carolina   2001–2006   Charlotte Bobcats, Detroit Pistons, New York Knicks   Folded by league

Florida Flame   Fort Myers, Florida   2001–2007   Boston Celtics, Miami Heat, Orlando Magic, Minnesota Timberwolves   Folded by owners

Fort Worth Flyers   Fort Worth, Texas   2005–2007   Charlotte Bobcats, Dallas Mavericks, Golden State Warriors, Los Angeles Lakers, Philadelphia 76ers, Portland Trail Blazers   Suspended by owners

Greenville Groove   Greenville, South Carolina   2001–2003   None   Folded by league

Huntsville Flight   Huntsville, Alabama   2001–2005   None   Became the Albuquerque Thunderbirds

Mobile Revelers   Mobile, Alabama   2001–2003   None   Folded by league

Roanoke Dazzle   Roanoke, Virginia   2001–2006   New Jersey Nets, Philadelphia 76ers, Washington Wizards   Folded by league

Utah Flash   Orem, Utah   2007–2011   Atlanta Hawks, Boston Celtics, Utah Jazz   Became the Delaware 87ers
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 03:02:49 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

MUrugger

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2014, 03:07:15 PM »
Here is the resource I used to quote the career expectancy of NBA players.  You can see that it is less for 6'2"-6'3" guards.  http://weaksideawareness.wordpress.com/2011/11/22/average-nba-career-length-for-players-details/

Regarding the earnings potential of degreed D-Leaguers vs. non-degreed, I simply lumped D-Leaguers into categories of all degreed vs. non-degreed wage earners.  And study after study on that subject says that the sheepskin equates to higher real earnings, and potential earnings, over the course of a career.

And if esard is a LIMO driver, I hope he's got 4 wheel drive.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 03:09:49 PM by MUrugger »

westcoastwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2014, 04:11:29 PM »
The recent name changes in the D-League actually has to do with the new business model of the NBA teams.  Recently a lot of the NBA teams are exclusively purchasing D-league franchises to use as a training ground for their parent company.  Coaching and management philosophies along with marketing ideas are passed down or up through the franchise.  Having the team closer to the parent franchise makes this operation a lot smoother and more beneficial to the team.

I am a season ticket holder for the Santa Cruz Warrior....which is only an hour away from Golden State's practice facility.

There was a lot of benefit to buy the D-league team in North Dakota and bring it closer...

Numerous times in the year...NBA "end of bench" players are brought down to play a game to get some meaningful minutes.
D-league coaches continually attend NBA team practices so concepts/offense defensive philosophies are the same.
When the Parent team is on long road trips....NBA entertainment will be brought down to the game (dancers, 4th quarter entertainment acts)
Allows general managers to see late 1st round and 2nd round players

I would guess...in 5 years...every NBA team will have their own D-League team.....and their will be no teaming sharing like Bakersfield Jam...or Iowa Energy.

feedback