[May 08, 2024, 07:39:19 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[May 08, 2024, 08:59:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Gabe York commits to Zona  (Read 8949 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Gabe York commits to Zona
« on: July 10, 2011, 05:55:09 PM »
Per twitter feedS
SS Marquette

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
Re: Gabe York commits to Zona
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 06:03:39 PM »
I'm really disappointed.  On the other strand, there's no question anyone on the boards should say they'd like one recruit over another, but i do worry some about how much critical posts often come with a potential signee or recent signee.

From the people i do know who interview recruits (for other schools), i am told the recruits read Rivals and Scout all the time.  If true, i would certainly guess a good number at least check out the great Marquette pages in a search at least, and it certainly can't help to have so many questioning whether or not someone as good as York "fits in" when compared against a hypothetical recruit who may or may not have any interest.  My guideline would be if someone has us on his short list and is close to a decision, I'd be very hesitate to be critical, as opposed to talking about 50 potential people on a wish list which is more fun.

One in hand is always better than 2 in the Bush.  We seemed to have a chance at York, and some of the guys on our wish list for next year might consider 5 or 10 schools equally, meaning we might have a 10% or 20% chance at each one.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 06:10:09 PM »
I think about that two but it really comes down to the kid and his confidence in himself. If he is so swayed by public opinion, may God help him if he's struggling at the chosen school and they spew hate on their messageboards. Weak are the ones who base their opinion on comments by faceless posters, much less trolls posing as part of the fanbase.

Miller has pieces falling in Zona and just got an extension (2 years?). But he may leave while Gabe's there. Or may not.

Personally, playing close to home so family can see you and in a non-cold environment were probably the biggest factors as the incoming recruits to UofA.
SS Marquette

bamamarquettefan

• All American
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 06:26:20 PM »
If he is so swayed by public opinion, may God help him if he's struggling at the chosen school and they spew hate on their messageboards.

You make a valid point.  I guess having only experienced a "signing" through a daughter signing a soccer LOI, it seems the "signing" is the day kids look forward to as their once in a lifetime, and maybe for that one day they expect to have everyone in their new alumni base to get excited about there decision.  I know that's unrealistic, but I guess if I were a recruit who saw all the questions about Mayo for example, it might make me hesitate a little that some fans might rain on my "big day."
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 06:29:54 PM »
I can type with complete confidence that whatever ds remarks anyone posts here, has absolutely no bearing on a recruit and his choice of schools and programs............none.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 07:02:45 PM »
bama...I think some of the comments regarding recruiting here are ridiculous.  Frankly, if Buzz wants someone, and that person seems of fine character, then I want them here.  Buzz knows a hell of a lot more than I do about who will fit into his plans at MU.

That being said, if a potential recruit is turned off by what some morons on message boards say...enough to sway his choice of school...then I am not sure I want him here in the first place.  And the criticism regarding York was by VERY few...and it is VERY mild.  I doubt it had any impact.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 07:22:33 PM »
I'm with ya Wayne.

This is all assuming that the opinions shared here were of any influence.
Looking at what may be considered anti-Gabe, there wasn't much.

Hence, his decision must have been influenced by other more impt factors: location, weather, playing in Pac12, Coach Miller and assistants, fellow recruits, state school, facilities, fan base, etc. Pick one, two, three of those...but not messageboard chatter.

God knows, we need a shooter at the G spot because we currently don't have one when DJO leaves.
SS Marquette

GoMarquette32

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 07:40:05 PM »
Much rather have dunn and a big. Not mad at all.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 07:44:58 PM »
SoCal kid going to Arizona, no big surprise.  Tough to beat, but again, MU in the mix with a potential five star recruit.  

Go32 is right, hello Kris Dunn and a big.  

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1085516.html

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 07:51:47 PM »
God knows, we need a shooter at the G spot because we currently don't have one when DJO leaves.

Todd Mayo can't shoot the ball?
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 07:59:25 PM »
Jamail Jones can shoot too. 

Boone

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 08:16:26 PM »
As can Ferguson, supposedly.

Let's get a big or 2!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 08:35:18 PM »
I'm with those thinking big and a point. 

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 08:38:11 PM »
You're right about Mayo. Ferguson will be joining a year later.
Jamail's more of a SF.

Other than DJO and Mayo...and maybe an improved Cadougan, who else will be filling up the bucket from the G spot? Maybe that's why the transferred Walk-on was important because he is a shooter.
SS Marquette

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 08:38:28 PM »
bama...I think some of the comments regarding recruiting here are ridiculous.  Frankly, if Buzz wants someone, and that person seems of fine character, then I want them here.  Buzz knows a hell of a lot more than I do about who will fit into his plans at MU.

That being said, if a potential recruit is turned off by what some morons on message boards say...enough to sway his choice of school...then I am not sure I want him here in the first place.  And the criticism regarding York was by VERY few...and it is VERY mild.  I doubt it had any impact.

+1

If an idiot on a message board (yes, talking about myself) is what made him choose Arizona over Marquette, then so be it, but that really doesn't speak well of his confidence. On the other hand, Arizona has fewer guards on the roster when he will be arriving, it's closer to home, and has great weather year-round. My guess is it's simply a case of being a better fit for him.

Hoping for Kris Dunn and a big :) (or two bigs ;D )
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2011, 10:01:31 PM »
He looks good but don't feel it's a big loss by any means.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2011, 10:05:30 PM »
A bigger lose is if they can not find a starter to take the
place of Jae.  Buzz can offer a big a starting role and truthfully
that is what a high school recruit is looking for.  I still see a
JC kid fitting that role.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2011, 10:27:56 PM »
I can type with complete confidence that whatever ds remarks anyone posts here, has absolutely no bearing on a recruit and his choice of schools and programs............none.

+1

Arizona was Elite 8 last year.  Solid conference, great program, great coach, incredible looking women, warm weather.  Gabe made mention last time about Marquette being SUPER COLD or something to that extent.  If that was already on his mind, then that didn't help.  It's not often we're going to win recruits from Arizona, California, etc.  Kudos to Buzz for getting one from California.  Until a bunch of warm weather kids end up at MU, the climate\weather will be held against us.  Gabe is from a few miles away from where I live.  Arizona is comfort close, Milwaukee isn't. Let's not forget that Washington and Notre Dame were also in the mix and he chose the school closest to him.

That being said, I have to think climate was not even in the top 5 reasons he didn't choose MU but it certainly doesn't help.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 10:50:13 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2011, 10:52:21 PM »
While you would hope a message board would not make a difference, I would prefer that the board supports who Buzz is recruiting instead of critiisizing almost every recruit. Not only does this board complain about 2 star recruits, they are not happy when it is a four star recruit. Why make it tougher for Buzz. Outside of that, I think the recent bad publicity cost us Walker and certinaly did not help with York.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2011, 11:42:41 PM »
"Until a bunch of warm weather kids end up at MU, the climate\weather will be held against us."

Was this a joke? Have you paid attention at all the last 3 years? Look at the current roster.

Jamailman: Georgia/Florida
DJO: North Carolina
Crowder: Georgia/Texas
Otule: Texas
Gardner: Virginia
Anderson: California
Mayo: West Virginia/Tennessee

7/11 from warm weather states, and I didn't count Cadougan (Texas) because he grew up in Canada. Not to mention Butler, Fulce and Erik Williams all from Texas, and the two verbal commits are from Texas and Virginia.

Your post couldn't be further from the truth.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2011, 11:42:42 PM »
While you would hope a message board would not make a difference, I would prefer that the board supports who Buzz is recruiting instead of critiisizing almost every recruit. Not only does this board complain about 2 star recruits, they are not happy when it is a four star recruit. Why make it tougher for Buzz. Outside of that, I think the recent bad publicity cost us Walker and certinaly did not help with York.

So where do we go to actually discuss potential players, then? It is ridiculous to say that we can't talk pros and cons of different players, or that we should never be critical of any current or potential player. So what, if a player underperforms, we shouldn't express our disappointment because they might read it? Or if we are after two recruits, we should never say which we like better because the other guy might get offended? Give me a freaking break.

Welcome to the Internet. Just like the real world, people have opinions there. Players should be used to it, recruits should get used to it, and anyone actually posting and using a message board sure as hell better be able to accept it. I'm sorry, but this tiptoe mentality is ridiculous. Do you really think that no other message board ever finds negatives to their potential recruits?

If anyone is so afraid of the implications of the Internet that this is a serious concern, whether player, recruit, poster, or lurker, maybe they should just disconnect, because the Internet might be too risque for them.

Let's not forget, people on Marquette boards have said that Jimmy Butler, Davante Gardner, and Derrick Wilson weren't good enough, and they all came here. Todd Mayo seemed to be questioned every five minutes on here during his recruitment, he still signed with Marquette. Sorry, but if I have an opinion, I'm going to express it, and I hope to god most of the rest of the posters feel the same way, because otherwise this site is going to become as bland and useless as chewing paper.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2011, 11:57:28 PM »

I guess this is where I'm going.  It's funny, it seems some think recruits are scared off by the recent off the court issues and I believe that has absolutely no impact.  On the flip side some think nothing said on these pages could have any impact, and I believe it could.  Don't get me wrong - I don't believe negative/questioning comments on a potential recruit are a big factor by any means - of course Buzz, the Big East, the tradition, the Sweet 16, being 10th/11th in attendence, style of play, players going onto the NBA, and the players we already have are at least 97% of the decision and maybe they are 100%.

I just feel that if a player really comes down to a point where MU and some other school are dead even and he really can't decide, he could be looking for some excuse to go one way or the other and if one alumni base is crowing over him and another is questioning him it might make a difference.  I just don't believe the off the court stuff makes any difference unless it looks like players might get kicked off the team or the school might end up on probation, neither of which are issues here Thank God!

But that is just my theory on my posts if we are on a short list - certainly not trying to quell anyone else from commenting based on how they feel.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2011, 12:59:32 AM »
"Until a bunch of warm weather kids end up at MU, the climate\weather will be held against us."

Was this a joke? Have you paid attention at all the last 3 years? Look at the current roster.

Jamailman: Georgia/Florida
DJO: North Carolina
Crowder: Georgia/Texas
Otule: Texas
Gardner: Virginia
Anderson: California
Mayo: West Virginia/Tennessee

7/11 from warm weather states, and I didn't count Cadougan (Texas) because he grew up in Canada. Not to mention Butler, Fulce and Erik Williams all from Texas, and the two verbal commits are from Texas and Virginia.

Your post couldn't be further from the truth.

I guess your interpretation of warm is a lot different than those of us here in Southern California, especially here in Orange County where this kid is from. It snows in Virginia, it snows in Tennessee, it snows in Texas / ice storms, etc.  Here in the O.C., people have sweaters on when it hits 60...I'm not joking.  Tonight at our Little League practice they broke out blankets because it was 67 degrees and a little gusty in the bleachers...again, I'm not joking.... I had to go grab several blankets for the mom's in the stands.  So no, it's not meant to be a joke as I was trying to equate it to a So. Cal kid going to the upper midwest.  You are correct, some of those other kids certainly are going from "warmer" climates to colder in Milwaukee...but that's far different than going from So. Cal to Milwaukee...having done it myself, it is a shock to the system I assure you.  

Your point is well taken, however I'd point out that this kid SPECIFICALLY mentioned the weather in Milwaukee and didn't for any other school he was considering.  Take it for you will, that's an indicator for me.  Distance and weather.  He chose Arizona...better weather and a lot closer.

“By far, Arizona and Marquette are the best visits I’ve been on,” York said. “They are neck and neck with how equal they were. The only difference is that Marquette is farther and it’s not as hot there, but it gets freezing in the winter."

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2011, 06:37:07 AM »
I guess your interpretation of warm is a lot different than those of us here in Southern California, especially here in Orange County where this kid is from. It snows in Virginia, it snows in Tennessee, it snows in Texas / ice storms, etc.

I agree with Virginia, West Virginia, Tennessee, but the rest are all warm weather states. Jones, DJO, Crowder, Otule, and Anderson would all have to be considered from a warm weather climate. I realize parts of Texas gets snow, but so do parts of Arizona. And when Texas or Georgia get snow, they are so ill-equipped to handle it that an inch or two throws cities into a tizzy.

Like you said, he did mention weather, but I agree that while I think it was a factor, the consideration that we already have Mayo, Jamail, Blue, Ferguson, Derrick Wilson, and Taylor around for at least his first two seasons is much more of a detractor. He mentioned that Arizona only has three guards and that they told him if he comes in they won't be recruiting any more guards for 2012. Much easier to get playing time in a four-man rotation than a six-man rotation.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2011, 06:48:26 AM »
Answer:   Cadougan, Wilson, Blue, Mayo, TJ Taylor, Ferguson, Jake Taylor
Question:  Who are guards already committed to MU for 2012-2013?
That's correct!    Thanks, Alex.   
Az has immediate playing time available with less competition, and is closer to home.   I would have happily taken York at MU.    The kid can shoot.     But since he isn't coming, give me a 6'8 combo forward and a 6'10 big, project if necessary, please.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.