[Today at 11:54:18 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[Today at 09:59:47 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU in the A10? Irritating...  (Read 8946 times)

Steamer

• Walk-On
MU in the A10? Irritating...
« on: March 01, 2010, 09:56:35 PM »
I was talking with I guy who knows mid-major college basketball very well.  In fact he keeps the clock for a team here in the midwest.  I brought up Marquette and he says, "They're in the A10, right?"  I corrected him and he says well they'd probably be better off in the A10.  I then told him that we were in 5th place and had a winning record every year so far in the Big East. 

Help me out.  I read that only Pitt and MU have had 10 or more conference wins each year since we joined.  I have to think we may have the best overall BE record of the old C-USA teams, and probably one of the best records of all BE teams since we joined???

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
Re: MU in the A10? Irritating...
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 10:00:27 PM »
What really cooks my noodle is when I tell people in Wisconsin that I graduated from Marquette and they ask: "Marquette, Michigan?" It's unbelievable.

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 10:02:47 PM »
The stat is true but I wouldn't bother talking basketball to someone who doesn't know what conference we're in.  Even my wife could name at least half the teams in the Big East.

And FYI keeping clock doesn't give you credibility on anything.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 10:08:30 PM »
Probably just heard that we beat Xavier, the best team in the A10.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 10:11:02 PM »
I think that says way more about the speaker than MU.

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 10:11:54 PM »
Help me out.  I read that only Pitt and MU have had 10 or more conference wins each year since we joined.  I have to think we may have the best overall BE record of the old C-USA teams, and probably one of the best records of all BE teams since we joined???
Louisville and Pitt are tied for the most wins since the expansion of the Big East at 58, from what I've read.  By my count we're not far behind at 53.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 10:17:40 PM »
What really cooks my noodle is when I tell people in Wisconsin that I graduated from Marquette and they ask: "Marquette, Michigan?" It's unbelievable.
+1 Birkie...the same happens to me, but at least I live in Texas so that doesn't make it quite as bad..but it is annoying.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 10:20:53 PM »
+1 Birkie...the same happens to me, but at least I live in Texas so that doesn't make it quite as bad..but it is annoying.

Girls ask me if Marquette is in Michigan.  Guys ask me if I ever met D-Wade.  Love that.

Silky

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 10:23:47 PM »

CaliWolverine on another board thought the same thing.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 10:24:01 PM »
We're in fly over country people, I told someone from New York this past weekend I lived in St. Paul and he had no idea.  I said, you know, the capital of Minnesota; pretty funny.  

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 10:28:38 PM »
We're in fly over country people, I told someone from New York this past weekend I lived in St. Paul and he had no idea.  I said, you know, the capital of Minnesota; pretty funny.  
Wow.  Just wow.  Maybe Miss Teen USA South Carolina was onto something.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 10:33:43 PM »
jokes on you idiots. We are in the A10, not sure what you have been watching.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 10:37:22 PM »
Girls ask me if Marquette is in Michigan.  Guys ask me if I ever met D-Wade.  Love that.
In a similar vein, I've asked girls I've dated (primarily Texan girls) to show me where Wisconsin is on the map..during the weather segment of the news...and it is shocking that the "success rate" is about 40%..but then again I overachieve every now and then and land some pretty girls, and as a result, they aren't always blessed with the most intelligence.  A sad phenomonen.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

JetCityWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 11:10:29 PM »
I'll one up you guys. On the West Coast, I'm lucky if I get a response, "Marquette? Is that in Michigan?" Because after I inform them that it is in fact in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, I usually get the response, "Oh, the East Coast is all the same to me."

wall2978

• Walk-On
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 11:12:24 PM »
When I had an internship down in Alabama I called my instructor and left a message that his student from Marquette University had called.  The receptionist left him a message "your student from Market University had just called".

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2010, 11:16:25 PM »
I'm amazed that many people know about Marquette Michigan, actually.

Warrior3211

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 11:25:48 PM »
At the Tennessee vs. MU game in December 2008 I had two guys sitting behind me arguing over who would ask me where Marquette was. . . we were a nationally ranked team at that point only 4 spots behind UT in the polls.  If someone can't figure out that we are at very least somewhere in the state of Wisconsin I find that pathetic.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 11:30:09 PM »
Let's make some noise in March for a little more name recognition. 

I have had very casual fans who randomly fill out brackets tell me that they always advance MU because they like our name.  (Has not worked for them lately...)

Marquette, Xavier, and Gonzaga are funny name schools with awesome basketball programs.  It is worth every dime we spend (and same with Xavier and the Zags) to have a strong team to promote awareness of our school for all of those casual fans out there. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 11:30:38 PM »
If the guys knows mid major basketball so well, shouldn't he at least know the A-10.

And to the other points, its amazing how ignorant people are to the basics of their own country.  Hopefully, those people don't care enough to vote.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 11:34:32 PM »
related link, pretty fun stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNUDDaEOvuY

Animaniacs, gotta love it.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2010, 11:40:14 PM »
I can go everyone one better.  I tell people I went to law school at Washington University, and everyone thinks I mean the Northwest, rather than the one in St. Louis, and I'm in Chicago.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 12:22:18 AM »
I was shooting hoops in SJU's Alumni Hall with a fellow Johnnie buddy (during MU's spring break I was in NYC) and I met Felipe Lopez.

My buddy told him I went to Marquette.

Felipe said, "The Super Marquette?"

I crap you not.
SS Marquette

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2010, 08:34:28 AM »
I was talking with I guy who knows mid-major college basketball very well.  In fact he keeps the clock for a team here in the midwest.  I brought up Marquette and he says, "They're in the A10, right?"

Apparently keeping the clock for UW-Stevens Point qualifies one as "knowing mid-major college basketball very well."

I wouldn't worry too much about people knowing/not knowing where Marquette is.  Here's a list of the AP Top 25 teams who's locale is not part of their name:

Duke
Purdue
Villanova (kind of)
Butler
Vanderbilt
BYU
Gonzaga
Georgetown (arguably)
Temple
Baylor
Xavier

You give this list to your average person (read: not a college sports junkie) asking them what state each is in, and I guarantee you that at least 75% miss at least one.  Ask them what city, and 99 out of 100 will miss at least four.

Don't believe me?  Give this list to your wife/significant other and see how well they do.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

LON

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2010, 08:43:28 AM »

Have you seen the Tirdy Pointer?

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2010, 09:01:17 AM »

I think its because its often mentioned as the defacto upper Michigan temperature during weather forecasts.   :)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2010, 09:03:50 AM »
I'll one up you guys. On the West Coast, I'm lucky if I get a response, "Marquette? Is that in Michigan?" Because after I inform them that it is in fact in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, I usually get the response, "Oh, the East Coast is all the same to me."

People in CA seem to think everything east of the Rocky Mountains is right next to the Atlantic ocean.   ;)

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2010, 09:28:46 AM »
The summer before freshman year, when the first question from everyone's mouth was "where are you going next year" I would say Marquette. They would say, "I've heard of that, where is it again?" I would respond, "Milwaukee." On more than one occasion, I got the follow up response, "Oh cool, what city?"

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2010, 09:31:18 AM »
I can go everyone one better.  I tell people I went to law school at Washington University, and everyone thinks I mean the Northwest, rather than the one in St. Louis, and I'm in Chicago.

That's kind of annoying, because I can't tell you the number of times that I tell people I go to law school at "Saint Louis University" and the first words out of my mouth after that are usually "No, not Wash U, SLU."
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2010, 09:37:40 AM »
I can't speak for the East Coast, but I agree that West Coasters don't know much about anything east of the Rocky Mountains. I was touring a college campus in Oregon when I had this exchange with the tour guide:

Her: So where are you from?

Me: St. Louis.

Her: That's in Louisana, right?

Me: (Blank stare) The Louisiana Purchase

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2010, 09:40:02 AM »
In a similar vein, I've asked girls I've dated (primarily Texan girls) to show me where Wisconsin is on the map..during the weather segment of the news...and it is shocking that the "success rate" is about 40%..but then again I overachieve every now and then and land some pretty girls, and as a result, they aren't always blessed with the most intelligence.  A sad phenomonen.

How could you not land pretty girls when you offer hot date ideas such as watching the weather segment of the news?!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

LA

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2010, 09:48:59 AM »
Apparently keeping the clock for UW-Stevens Point qualifies one as "knowing mid-major college basketball very well."

I wouldn't worry too much about people knowing/not knowing where Marquette is.  Here's a list of the AP Top 25 teams who's locale is not part of their name:

Duke
Purdue
Villanova (kind of)
Butler
Vanderbilt
BYU
Gonzaga
Georgetown (arguably)
Temple
Baylor
Xavier

You give this list to your average person (read: not a college sports junkie) asking them what state each is in, and I guarantee you that at least 75% miss at least one.  Ask them what city, and 99 out of 100 will miss at least four.

Don't believe me?  Give this list to your wife/significant other and see how well they do.

+1 Great list. It is not just the coasts though, I am from Seattle and when I first came to MU I had multiple people (well women) respond "oh Seattle Oregon right?" Also completely mispronouncing the state of Oregon.

MountainCreek19

• Walk-On
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2010, 10:06:51 AM »

also university of northern michigan is there.... i always get that. "i go to marquette."  "oh my son goes to UNM too."

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2010, 10:11:23 AM »
There was a group of boys at the SHU game who kept telling the Marquette fans seated nearby to "go back to Michigan". Also they looked to be about 10 years old, were in full face paint and had their shirts pulled up over their heads....so you know, take it for what it's worth.

Robyrd5

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2010, 10:27:26 AM »
also university of northern michigan is there.... i always get that. "i go to marquette."  "oh my son goes to UNM too."

I had a similiar conversation on a plane to Milwaukee returning from Christmas break my freshman year. Once I finally figured out that the man I was talking to thought I went to school in Marquette, Michigan, it was too late to point out the mistake. So I had to pretend I went to school in Michigan for the next 2 hours to avoid embarrassing him. So awkward.

slingkong

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2010, 11:16:08 AM »
That's kind of annoying, because I can't tell you the number of times that I tell people I go to law school at "Saint Louis University" and the first words out of my mouth after that are usually "No, not Wash U, SLU."

If I were going to law school at SLU, I wouldn't correct them.  SLU's rapidly sinking in the rankings - almost down to John Marshall (where I went and really wish I hadn't).

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2010, 12:19:03 PM »
After I finished school (Aug '08) and before I got my job I interviewed a bunch of times in Chicago (also for Chicago companies on the phone). I repeatedly would get asked where Marquette University is. I kid you not. One guy told me he had heard about "Beer fest" (read: Summerfest) from Milwaukee. This was from life-long Chicago residents.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2010, 12:31:15 PM »

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2010, 01:03:59 PM »
It looks COLD! :-\

mu_eyeballs

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2010, 01:10:08 PM »
I live in Columbus O-H-I-O...so often when I wear my MU and Blue/Gold gear, I have buckeye fans giving me crap for wearing Michigan gear...despite the fact the Michigan is UM ::)

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2010, 01:44:00 PM »
I live in Columbus O-H-I-O...so often when I wear my MU and Blue/Gold gear, I have buckeye fans giving me crap for wearing Michigan gear...despite the fact the Michigan is UM ::)

On a related note, a close friend of mine is a graduate of UM. I once mentioned, in jest, that our colors (Marquette's and UMichigan's) were essentially the same. She did not take it well. "You are NOT maize."

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2010, 01:58:24 PM »
The summer before freshman year, when the first question from everyone's mouth was "where are you going next year" I would say Marquette. They would say, "I've heard of that, where is it again?" I would respond, "Milwaukee." On more than one occasion, I got the follow up response, "Oh cool, what city?"

My freshman year of college in Ohio, I had a girl sincerely and truthfully ask me if Milwaukee was in Canada.  She was then quite offended as I laughed in her face.

My sister got jeered at a Miami (OH) hockey game my freshman year of college cause she was wearing a blue and gold Marquette shirt.  We were playing Michigan and people just naturally assumed.  That state is programmed to reaction to yellow and blue the way a bull "reacts" to red.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2010, 02:04:39 PM »
This happens 90% of the time.  Then I say Al Maguire. 
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2010, 07:38:42 PM »

A comment like that says more about that person than it does about Marquette University.

I probably couldn't tell you what city/state all of the Ivy League schools are in, and that doesn't make them any less of exceptional institutions.
We Are Marquette

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2010, 07:56:27 PM »
If I were going to law school at SLU, I wouldn't correct them.  SLU's rapidly sinking in the rankings - almost down to John Marshall (where I went and really wish I hadn't).

Don't need to tell me. :-[
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2010, 08:21:02 PM »
I had a similiar conversation on a plane to Milwaukee returning from Christmas break my freshman year. Once I finally figured out that the man I was talking to thought I went to school in Marquette, Michigan, it was too late to point out the mistake. So I had to pretend I went to school in Michigan for the next 2 hours to avoid embarrassing him. So awkward.

Something similar happened to me except it was the woman that cut my hair.  I didn't want to embarrass her so I played along.  Luckily she remembered it and everytime I was home and got my hair cut she would ask me about all the skiing I was able to do when I went back to school.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2010, 04:30:30 PM »
I was shooting hoops in SJU's Alumni Hall with a fellow Johnnie buddy (during MU's spring break I was in NYC) and I met Felipe Lopez.

My buddy told him I went to Marquette.

Felipe said, "The Super Marquette?"

I crap you not.

I just know that you replied: "no, no, the super MAR CAT!"
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2010, 04:51:05 PM »
The Super Marquette???

feedback