[Today at 12:43:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MU82
[Today at 12:22:29 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: National Anthem last night  (Read 8950 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
National Anthem last night
« on: January 27, 2010, 09:23:46 AM »
Just had to comment .. right before tip last night, my wife and I were chatting about the disappointing lack of vocalists singing the National Anthem prior to the games this year.    Not sure why MU has decided to not have singers this year.

Then, out trots a father and his 5-6 year old daughter to sing the anthem .. they were truly remarkable. 

The little girl's high pitched voice, accompanied by her father harmonizing .. it was just OUTSTANDING.

Note to MU: Bring these guys back.  Or some students.  Whoever.  The anthem is far better sung!

Clam Crowder

• All American
Re: National Anthem last night
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 10:11:59 AM »
National anthem is much better sung, but the father hit those high notes a little too well im my opinion

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 10:21:52 AM »
i too applaud the performance.  i looked to see if she had cue cards or anything, but didn't see any.  very impressive for a child her age.

along the lines of the anthem... why have we completely killed half-time entertainment.  i understand some of them we need to pay for and times are tough, yada, yada, yada... but the little kids basketball games were always fun to watch and i'm sure those don't cost a thing.  the drumline last night was at least something to watch and i hope this is the start of it.

stop punishing us that don't smoke and are smart enough to get our beer at the under 4 timeout so we can actually sit in our seats during half-time.
"You know, most people would kill... to be treated like a god, just for a few moments." - Coach Norman Dale

ultimate

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 10:40:06 AM »
The girl was awesome...anyone that can perform in front of that many people at her age deserves to be applauded.  I thought the guy was flat on a bunch of notes, but at times harmonized well (very tough to do with when working with a young kid).

Agreed that it is much better sung - I'm sure there's a bunch of talented students that could be singing - get them out there.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 10:49:09 AM »
It was awesome when the little girl went for the high note at the end.  Loudest applause of the night!

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 10:51:31 AM »
i too applaud the performance.  i looked to see if she had cue cards or anything, but didn't see any.  very impressive for a child her age.

Pretty good for a girl her age. From what I could tell it didn't look like there were any cue cards. Anyone notice the girl's name? McGuire (except I think it was spelled "Meguire") How appropriate

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 11:37:56 AM »
It was awesome when the little girl went for the high note at the end.  Loudest applause of the night!

THAT WAS AMAZING!! Truly the best performance all year! I wouldn't argue with bringing them back at all.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 12:07:12 PM »
Where are the Jesse White tumblers?!?!!?

As long as it is not those awful blown up dancing animals from a couple weeks back, those were so horrifically unfunny.  I would rather watch UW and Northwestern battle to a 46-44 finish.  :)

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 12:33:56 PM »
FRISBEE DOGS!!!

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 12:37:52 PM »
Don't diss the dancing animals.  We like them.
You want bad halftime entertainment, the contortionist guy at the MU-DePaul game last week was unwatchable.  He was putting his body in all sorts of weird positions, and we just couldn't watch.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 01:36:15 PM »
THAT WAS AMAZING!! Truly the best performance all year! I wouldn't argue with bringing them back at all.
+1.  Especially if the on-court results are the same.... ;)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 03:34:37 PM »
Would love to see cheering through the entire national anthem, like the blackhawks.

MUrugger

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 04:21:35 PM »
Another vote for NO RUBBER BOY.  I was wondering if that freak show at the DePaul game did that for a living.  The announcer touted some of his previous appearances as he was being brought out in the box.  It was like a bad sports injury that they decide not to replay.

W

• Walk-On
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 10:26:45 PM »
It was Mike Hennes and his daughter, Meghan.  Mike won the ESPN 540 "Oh Say Can You Sing" contest.  I thought they were amazing.

W

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 11:16:13 PM »
Would love to see cheering through the entire national anthem, like the blackhawks.

Either this or everyone singing. There's nothing like hearing a whole stadium belt out the national anthem. When I watch the world cup and hear that, I get goosebumps.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 11:23:34 PM »
Either this or everyone singing. There's nothing like hearing a whole stadium belt out the national anthem. When I watch the world cup and hear that, I get goosebumps.

Granted it's a version of O Canada, but this still gives me the chills...Simmons threw this up on his twitter a few months back, I guess this was after a Ducks home game where the American fans were booing during O Canada, and this is how the Edmonton crowd responded.  Pretty effin' sweet if you ask me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meLpuF9UMvk

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 11:53:00 PM »
Granted it's a version of O Canada, but this still gives me the chills...Simmons threw this up on his twitter a few months back, I guess this was after a Ducks home game where the American fans were booing during O Canada, and this is how the Edmonton crowd responded.  Pretty effin' sweet if you ask me.

Damn shame the athletes don't sing it though.
SS Marquette

WxWarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 09:25:59 AM »
The father - daughter duo won a singing contest on local sports radio.  Their prize was to perform at the game.

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 09:55:01 AM »

We are not Chicago.....cheering through the entire national anthem seems disrespectful....singing along is great though.

Rollout-the-Barrel

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 10:00:03 AM »
Not sure if it's disrespectful, but it definitely seems like a hockey thing to do opposed to basketball.
"We have the blues on the run!"

bs4173

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 03:38:31 PM »

That was incredible. Would love to see that at a Marquette game.

MU1984

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2010, 03:55:54 PM »
This does not seem disrespectful to me in the least:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvpxVE_kQXg

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2010, 04:00:12 PM »
We are not Chicago.....cheering through the entire national anthem seems disrespectful....singing along is great though.

Talking with your buddy would be disrespectful. I would say cheering is ok. I'm more of the type that likes to sing along though.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2010, 04:28:48 PM »

It has been going on for over 30 years....nothing disrespectful at all...you must be a Blues, Red Wings or North Star fan to say that or you do not know the complete history on the subject of the great Blackhawk fans.

Granted it's a version of O Canada, but this still gives me the chills...Simmons threw this up on his twitter a few months back, I guess this was after a Ducks home game where the American fans were booing during O Canada, and this is how the Edmonton crowd responded.  Pretty effin' sweet if you ask me.

You have to give the Boston fans credit for their reaction after the Montreal fans booed our national anthem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TxpxFqAV4I&NR=1
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 04:32:04 PM by SaintPaulWarrior »

smellofhotbeeftips

• Walk-On
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2010, 04:35:04 PM »
There should be respectful silence during the playing of the national anthem. Years ago there was some goof who would scream out vulgarities and Al's name during the SSB. His outburst was shameful and made me cringe.

Bring us the Dancing Cheetahs!