Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dawson's Defense and Playing Time  (Read 11051 times)

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
Re: Dawson's Defense and Playing Time
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2014, 03:34:25 PM »

Oh...

Because every 100 recruit who doesn't live up to expectations is because his coach crushed his morale.  Furthermore, he has stuck with this morale crushing coach for three years. 

Wacky.

And I have yet to be proven wrong about Derrick Wilson.  He is at best an average point guard, but he is the best option available for Marquette.

Does Anderson not seem timid and lost on the court to you? He certainly doesn't seem to have a lot of self confidence out there to me. I'm not saying Buzz directly crushed his morale, but after being here for almost 3 years he has regressed into a complete non factor who has zero confidence in his game. You have been a leader of the pro Derrick crowd all season and he has proven to be highly ineffective. Your talent evaluation speaks for itself and you without a doubt have been proven wrong.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2014, 03:42:12 PM »
Does Anderson not seem timid and lost on the court to you? He certainly doesn't seem to have a lot of self confidence out there to me. I'm not saying Buzz directly crushed his morale, but after being here for almost 3 years he has regressed into a complete non factor who has zero confidence in his game.

So in a thread about how Buzz crushes kid's morales, you say that "I personally feel that Juan Anderson's morale is crushed."

Yet you now claim that Buzz didn't directly crush it?  Good lord.  Illogical...and wacky.

He's probably disappointed in his college career.  He's not the first top 100 guy not to pan out.  Won't be the last.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2014, 04:13:33 PM »

So in a thread about how Buzz crushes kid's morales, you say that "I personally feel that Juan Anderson's morale is crushed."

Yet you now claim that Buzz didn't directly crush it?  Good lord.  Illogical...and wacky.

He's probably disappointed in his college career.  He's not the first top 100 guy not to pan out.  Won't be the last.

Umm I know what I said genius...I do feel that his morale is crushed. So by Buzz not giving him playing time, that would be indirectly in my opinion. But you are the know everything, so I am probably wrong in your eyes. WACKY!!!!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2014, 06:44:55 PM »
Umm I know what I said genius...I do feel that his morale is crushed. So by Buzz not giving him playing time, that would be indirectly in my opinion. But you are the know everything, so I am probably wrong in your eyes. WACKY!!!!

No.  Just make a logical argument.  It's not hard.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2014, 06:46:43 PM »

No.  Just make a logical argument.  It's not hard.
For some people...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #105 on: January 29, 2014, 06:50:17 PM »
Christ we don't even know that his "morale is crushed," much less that Buzz is the source directly or indirectly. 

Way too many assumptions about how players feel, what their expectations are, etc.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #106 on: January 29, 2014, 08:07:07 PM »

Thank you.  This is exactly what I have been arguing.  We have not lost a freshman who the collective Scoop thinks should have gotten more minutes than they did.  It may start next year.  It may not.

What people don't take into account is how much Buzz communicates with the players about their time and their role.  We assume that Dawson has had his "morale crushed" because he played so well against Georgetown, but didn't play much against Nova.  But we have no idea.  We don't know what Buzz told Dawson after the Georgetown game....we have no idea what he has said to him since the Nova game.

Buzz seems to be brutally honest with his players.  In fact that seems to be why Jameel left...Buzz told him what his role was going to be and he didn't like it.

We aren't in the locker room.  We have no idea.

dont blame jameel for leaving.... who wants to sit on the bench for a team thats gonna finish .500 or below... due to upper classmen loyalty..

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2014, 08:13:25 PM »
dont blame jameel for leaving.... who wants to sit on the bench for a team thats gonna finish .500 or below... due to upper classmen loyalty..

Well if a guy has trouble sitting behind guys who are better than they are, they shouldn't be here.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2014, 08:15:07 PM »
At the Halloween scrimmage, Anderson looked awesome - like he had a higher motor / gear than the rest of players on the floor.  I was really excited for what I thought then was a breakout year for Anderson.

Instead, he looks like a like a shell of himself now...   something happened...

Does Anderson not seem timid and lost on the court to you? He certainly doesn't seem to have a lot of self confidence out there to me. I'm not saying Buzz directly crushed his morale, but after being here for almost 3 years he has regressed into a complete non factor who has zero confidence in his game. You have been a leader of the pro Derrick crowd all season and he has proven to be highly ineffective. Your talent evaluation speaks for itself and you without a doubt have been proven wrong.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2014, 08:19:36 PM »
At the Halloween scrimmage, Anderson looked awesome - like he had a higher motor / gear than the rest of players on the floor.  I was really excited for what I thought then was a breakout year for Anderson.

He probably read what fans were writing about him on scoop
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2014, 09:06:56 PM »

Juan doesnt look good on offense or defense.  At all

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #111 on: January 29, 2014, 09:10:07 PM »
Juan is really no different than he was in previous years.  Just playing a little bit more.  I thought he was going to take another step, but he hasn't. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #112 on: January 29, 2014, 11:47:25 PM »

This is awesome. Kid can predict wins/losses before a season starts? Shouldn't be playing basketball, should be playing the lottery.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #113 on: January 30, 2014, 06:10:04 AM »

Could the "something happened" be turning his ankle coming down from a dunk against Ball St. or IUPUI (can't remember which)? I don't know, but he hasn't looked the same to me since.

Also, he was on twitter all day yesterday and at the AL calling season ticket holders trying to drum up support for the Providence game. I doubt his "morale is crushed."
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 06:13:59 AM by Jajuannaman »

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #114 on: January 30, 2014, 09:24:40 AM »
He probably read what fans were writing about him on scoop

Any Player with an MUScoop account besides maybe Dylan Flood would be doing a huuuuge poisoning to themselves. 

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #115 on: January 30, 2014, 09:25:22 AM »
Just call Buzz and ask for a copy of the game plan for Providence.
How can everyone be so certain that MU players get PT based on sticking to the gameplan yet those that say that don't know what the gameplan is nor has Buzz ever explicitly confirmed this assertion.

Yes, I'm sure PT is based in part on that, but a lot of you are making it sound like it's the predominate reason for playing someone or relegating them to the bench. It's an overly simplistic argument that really doesn't account for the many variables that (I hope) Buzz considers in his substitutions.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #116 on: January 30, 2014, 09:34:22 AM »

Well if a guy has trouble sitting behind guys who are better than they are, they shouldn't be here.
What about when it's a debate about who's better that's divided MU nation. You can't tell me that Dawson doesn't read these boards or that he's not thinking or hearing a lot of the same things we're discussing. The facts are, is that it is a legitimate debate about who is better for this team's success, and Buzz hasn't even given Dawson the chance to compete for PT. That's what's going to piss off recruits and under classmen.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #117 on: January 30, 2014, 11:49:34 AM »
How can everyone be so certain that MU players get PT based on sticking to the gameplan yet those that say that don't know what the gameplan is nor has Buzz ever explicitly confirmed this assertion.

Yes, I'm sure PT is based in part on that, but a lot of you are making it sound like it's the predominate reason for playing someone or relegating them to the bench. It's an overly simplistic argument that really doesn't account for the many variables that (I hope) Buzz considers in his substitutions.

When I make comments about the gameplan and playing time, it's because I see/hear Buzz saying that Derrick and especially Jake play exactly to the gameplan/scouting report. If those two are getting the most minutes, I'm making an assumption that those two variables are tied together.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #118 on: January 30, 2014, 01:45:24 PM »
When I make comments about the gameplan and playing time, it's because I see/hear Buzz saying that Derrick and especially Jake play exactly to the gameplan/scouting report. If those two are getting the most minutes, I'm making an assumption that those two variables are tied together.
How can you play EXACTLY to the gameplan yet be so bad. Buzz must have terrible gameplans.

Was it in the gameplan to get torched by Archidiacono or dribble around the perimeter and hold the ball until the shotclock gets to under 10?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #119 on: January 30, 2014, 01:50:57 PM »
How can you play EXACTLY to the gameplan yet be so bad. Buzz must have terrible gameplans.

Was it in the gameplan to get torched by Archidiacono or dribble around the perimeter and hold the ball until the shotclock gets to under 10?

You can do what Buzz asks you to do. That's all. If you make a mistake within the framework of what he asks, I'm pretty sure he's more forgiving than if you work outside of that construct.

If Derrick followed the gameplan on Archie, but got beat, Buzz clearly didn't mind. If Derrick followed the gameplan on offense, but held the ball till under 10, Buzz clearly didn't mind. (Horrible hyperbole on your part though)

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #120 on: January 30, 2014, 02:34:18 PM »
You can do what Buzz asks you to do. That's all. If you make a mistake within the framework of what he asks, I'm pretty sure he's more forgiving than if you work outside of that construct.

If Derrick followed the gameplan on Archie, but got beat, Buzz clearly didn't mind. If Derrick followed the gameplan on offense, but held the ball till under 10, Buzz clearly didn't mind. (Horrible hyperbole on your part though)
Yes, obviously, it's hyperbole, but the point is: don't you think Buzz puts a little too much emphasis on the gameplan to the team's detriment? I'm sure Dawson and Co. play within the gameplan apart from the occasional lapse (we're not talking about guys making a streetball mixtape despite Buzz's pleas). I'd rather let those guys work it out than yank them on a short leash and put less talented guys who stick to the "gameplan."
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 02:39:08 PM by windyplayer »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #121 on: January 30, 2014, 03:12:17 PM »
Juan is really no different than he was in previous years.  Just playing a little bit more.  I thought he was going to take another step, but he hasn't. 

Juan can still be a big contributor to this program. Hopefully he spends all summer  shooting 3s in the gym and all of next season shooting 3s in games with confidence. He's got decent stroke already.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #122 on: January 30, 2014, 03:22:34 PM »

You do realize that Jameel would have been a junior this year, right?  Pretty sure that's the same class as Derrick....

brandx

« Reply #123 on: January 30, 2014, 04:12:05 PM »

This was the turning point for me with our guard play this season.

In overtime with the game on the line, Buzz didn't have the confidence in our "elite" defender to put him on the other team's PG. Why - because he was having by far his best game of the season going against our elite defender. Just as the PGs from ASU, G'town,Xavier, SDSU did.

Ners may get off target and he is relentless in his posts, but a landslide majority of people posting here agree as to who should be playing the most minutes at PG.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #124 on: January 30, 2014, 04:19:00 PM »
This was the turning point for me with our guard play this season.

In overtime with the game on the line, Buzz didn't have the confidence in our "elite" defender to put him on the other team's PG. Why - because he was having by far his best game of the season going against our elite defender. Just as the PGs from ASU, G'town,Xavier, SDSU did.

Ners may get off target and he is relentless in his posts, but a landslide majority of people posting here agree as to who should be playing the most minutes at PG.

1. Or, Buzz saw Derrick get beat on the last play of regulation and realized how tired he was. So he put fresher legs (Mayo) on archie.
2. I've long said that Derrick/Dawson should get 20/20 depending on matchups, "hot"ness, etc.