'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Todd Had Some Interesting Quotes in the JS  (Read 11030 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Todd Had Some Interesting Quotes in the JS
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2014, 12:21:28 PM »
I gave you every statistical measure between Todd and Vander from statsheet (cherry picked none) - and there is very little to suggest we are "missing" Vander from a production standpoint any way - and at least there is a relevant sample size in that Mayo is at least getting 20 minutes a game.  Whereas in the Dawson/Derrick Wilson, there is a huge disparity in minutes to completely draw statistical relevance from other than Derrick has gotten a TON of minutes to show us what we can expect....but.....here are Junior and Derrick's stats.....notice much more disparity in these than you see between Todd and Vander...

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=derrick-wilson&p1=junior-cadougan

Henry Sugar says that Burton's numbers indicate he is the most productive freshman at MU since Buzz took over.    He is playing almost 20 mpg.  What is the problem?   Todd's playing time is dictated by Todd's attitude and how Todd practices.  Both of their minutes are trending upward.   The 'problems' with this team, IMO, in order of severity,  are as follows.   1.  No Vander.   2.   Lack of senior leadership.  2A.   Lack of consistent production from those expected to be the stars/leaders.   3.  Lack of development from Juan and STjr.   4.   Injuries to STjr and Duane.   5.  Rotation issues.
6.   Recently, too much Gardner, not enough Otule.  7.   Free throws.   Getting to the line and making them.   8.   Lack of production from the PG position.   

See, ners, I listed PG.   I just think it is way down the list of problems. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2014, 12:48:26 PM »
Henry Sugar says that Burton's numbers indicate he is the most productive freshman at MU since Buzz took over.    He is playing almost 20 mpg.  What is the problem?   Todd's playing time is dictated by Todd's attitude and how Todd practices.  Both of their minutes are trending upward.   The 'problems' with this team, IMO, in order of severity,  are as follows.   1.  No Vander.   2.   Lack of senior leadership.  2A.   Lack of consistent production from those expected to be the stars/leaders.   3.  Lack of development from Juan and STjr.   4.   Injuries to STjr and Duane.   5.  Rotation issues.
6.   Recently, too much Gardner, not enough Otule.  7.   Free throws.   Getting to the line and making them.   8.   Lack of production from the PG position.   

Wow - if you feel the most important position on a basketball team - PG - is the last of any team's problems, when said PG struggles mightily - don't know what to say.

To your points:
1) No Vander?  Cracked Sidewalks recent post shows it, statsheet side by side show it - Mayo is playing at Vander's level.  It's on Buzz for not playing him more and giving the most minutes to the 2 players who are our worst Net Negatives.

2) Leadership?  Leadership can't stop the opposition from packing the paint and making life hell for Gardner and Jamil - along with Jamil generally having to start games with a highly challenged offensive lineup.

3) Lack of development from Juan and STJR?  Not critical because they basically play the same position as Jamil - who should be a 30+ minute per game player and you have Burton who is highly more effective than Juan and STJR.

4) Injuries to Duane and STJR - Word out of practice early was Duane Wilson was having his share of struggles - to think Buzz would roll him out for 25-30 minutes a game is wishful thinking.  STJR - reference above.

5) Rotation issues - I agree - to long of rotation, too limited stints of long run for players, and the wrong guys getting the most minutes, and two of your best players - Burton and Mayo being limited in theirs.

6) Too much Gardner?? Seriously?  The most efficent and effective offensive player we have on an offensively challenged team that draws double teams?  I'd hypothesize there hasn't been enough Gardner, and Buzz seems to finally be playing him more.

7) Free Throws - Why is this team so challenged to get to the FT line, when it basically returns everyone except Vander, Junior and Lockett?  Lockett wasn't a high FT rate player.  Mayo gets there at the same rate as Vander and shoots a better percentage.

8) No further comment.

And, Burton is averaging 14.2 minutes per game this season, not 20.  Juan is getting 15.9 minutes on average.  Mayo 21.2.  Jake 26.4.  Give 7 more minutes to both Mayo and Burton from Jake and Juan and we'll start trending in a better direction.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2014, 01:07:28 PM »
OK, I am going to side a bit with Ners here.  I do think PG is one of the more critical problems this team has.  However my solution is to reduce Derrick's minutes to the 25-28 range and see what we can get from Dawson in the 12-15 range.  Dawson doesn't look overwhelmed, and has made positive contributions.  That can only help Derrick's game as Derrick's helped Junior's in years past.

That being said, I think the biggest problem that MU has is it's huge gigantic holes in its sophomore and junior classes.  We only have four total players in those two classes.  Mayo is good with flashes of being very good.  Derrick is Derrick.  Juan hasn't really taken a step beyond the "hustle guy."  STJ is hurt.

And the problem isn't transfers.  Only one player from those two classes have transferred.  (Jamal Ferguson).  It's just that no one has really taken that next step...at least not yet.

And if someone doesn't do that, next year is going to be very interesting.  As it stands now, we will have 9 or 10 freshmen and sophomores.  And three or four juniors and seniors. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2014, 10:21:02 PM »

Lack of PG production, forcing us to play 4-on-5. And horrendous outside shooting, especially from 3-point range.

Those are problems 1 and 1A on this team, in whichever order one wants to put them.

If we have a PG who can break down defenders and create for himself and others, and if we shoot even 35% from 3-point range, we probably have 4 or 5 more wins right now.

There are other problems, too, but it's nearly impossible to beat a good team when you start every game losing the PG battle 20-4 and the 3-point war 33-9.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback