'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dwyane Wade, Converse, and College Basketball  (Read 11074 times)

MilTown

• Team Captain
Re: Dwyane Wade, Converse, and College Basketball
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2007, 05:54:56 PM »
This is all about money. Crean would probably switch to British Knights or La Gear if the deal was right. I don't blame him one bit. I think the thought that our shoe and uniform contract has an impact our recruiting is a giagantic stretch. Every major conference school has a sweet deal with nike, rbk, addida's etc. I don't think that would even factor into a decesion for a recruit. This is all about money for all parties involved.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 05:57:38 PM by MilTown »

herboturbo

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2007, 03:22:55 AM »
I doubt we'd be going back to L.A. Gear again after the debacle from years ago, even if they did still exist
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter.

Gilsonky

• Walk-On
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2007, 06:20:12 AM »
Wow thanks for the info, I guess I should have looked around some more before I started all of this.  By the way, what was the deal with LA Gear?

herboturbo

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2007, 06:38:00 PM »
When we were an L.A. Gear team in the 90's one of our players shoes blew up while he was running down the court on national tv.  I think there were other problems involved as well.  Maybe someone else remembers more of the story than I can. 

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2007, 06:40:54 PM »
"Aware that fashionable men's athletic shoes would not generate profits, the company decided to branch into the men's technical shoe market with the introduction of the Catapult basketball shoe in 1991. The $100 Catapult, which featured a fiberglass and graphite heel supporting an air cushion, was marketed without the L.A. Gear brand name to 'distance Catapult from L.A. Gear's young, low-price image,' creative director Michael Albright told Advertising Age. As part of its new strategy, the company chose a more typical endorser: Karl Malone, a Utah Jazz basketball star. Unfortunately, problems with product quality interfered with initial sales. After the company outfitted a Marquette University basketball team in Catapult shoes, one player tripped on his shoe sole as it peeled off during a televised game. The company reported that it was working to improve the shoes' quality and the university team continued wearing the shoes."

www.answers.com/topic/l-a-gear-inc

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2007, 07:28:26 AM »
"Aware that fashionable men's athletic shoes would not generate profits, the company decided to branch into the men's technical shoe market with the introduction of the Catapult basketball shoe in 1991. The $100 Catapult, which featured a fiberglass and graphite heel supporting an air cushion, was marketed without the L.A. Gear brand name to 'distance Catapult from L.A. Gear's young, low-price image,' creative director Michael Albright told Advertising Age. As part of its new strategy, the company chose a more typical endorser: Karl Malone, a Utah Jazz basketball star. Unfortunately, problems with product quality interfered with initial sales. After the company outfitted a Marquette University basketball team in Catapult shoes, one player tripped on his shoe sole as it peeled off during a televised game. The company reported that it was working to improve the shoes' quality and the university team continued wearing the shoes."

www.answers.com/topic/l-a-gear-inc

I remember it well.  Logterman, wasn't it?  He tripped on the shoe, and then because his foot was sweaty, he kept slipping when he got up.  It was classic.  However, the above quote says that the university team continued wearing the shoes.  Is that correct?  I thought they quickly changed brands after that.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

herboturbo

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2007, 01:24:44 PM »
I thought they changed as quickly as possible as well.  But let me tell you, I owned a pair of those beauties back in the day, and they were they worst basketball shoe I've ever worn.  I dont even think I got through a couple games before I took them back.