[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[May 05, 2024, 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Star Wars Episode IX  (Read 19130 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: Star Wars Episode IX
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2019, 11:51:27 AM »
Rian Johnson should have been given Episode IX as well.  Plenty of fun, plenty of dumb, your typical Star Wars film.  Expectations for JJ to nail the landing were low and he tried, but, eh
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2019, 01:00:11 PM »
I’m happy.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2019, 02:37:31 PM »
How much you liked or disliked IX to me really came down to how much you liked or disliked VIII. I think they actually could have created a IX and a X out of the ground JJ was trying to cover because he was trying to overcome the death of Carrie and navigate out of the VIII box set by Rian Johnson. My only real complaint was that some of the new characters had more screen time/room to breathe. Other than that I thought JJ nailed it
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2019, 03:23:10 PM »
My main objection had nothing to do with the movie. I sat down at 10:50 a.m. for an 11 a.m. showtime ... and the movie didn't start until 11:28. I thought about taking a walk or something, but I kept thinking, "THIS must be the last preview." But it never was!

As for the flick, I enjoyed it. I am not as much of a Star Wars head as some, but I have seen them all (except Solo), have seen the original trilogy multiple times, discuss them some with my son (who is more of a fanatic than I am), and like to see what my fellow Scoopers have to say after the fact.

I love Rey. I think she is one of the best (if not the best) heroes the entire series has produced when I factor in the skill of the actor. Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver ... face it ... they act circles around Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher.

My other main reaction when I was watching was that nobody really dies in Star Wars. I chuckled softly to myself when Harrison Ford showed up, and I whispered, "Of course."

I liked the new Keri Russell character ... didn't realize it was her until the credits.

There was a lot in the movie. I agree with mu03eng that it maybe could have been two films. But I never felt it was too long. I got a text about 90 mins in and checked my screen super-quick just to make sure it wasn't important, and I was surprised to see how quickly the movie moved. I certainly was never bored, wishing it was over.

I guess the critics, in general, didn't love it ... but I don't care.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2019, 07:48:37 PM »
After 9 episodes, Storm Troopers still cannot hit a target with their blasters...really need to get some training.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2019, 11:04:23 AM »
I enjoyed it. I think it was almost trying to clean up TLJ and tell a third story at the same time, so that made it rushed.

The common phrase I’ve heard from friends is “that was a wild ride.” To me it felt the most connected to the OT and Prequels of the new trilogy.

As I read up on people’s opinions, there are some cringeworthy things that I remember. In the moment of watching though, all I thought was “this is fun.”

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2019, 11:58:15 AM »
I enjoyed it. I think it was almost trying to clean up TLJ and tell a third story at the same time, so that made it rushed.

The common phrase I’ve heard from friends is “that was a wild ride.” To me it felt the most connected to the OT and Prequels of the new trilogy.

As I read up on people’s opinions, there are some cringeworthy things that I remember. In the moment of watching though, all I thought was “this is fun.”

“this is fun”

That’s how I mostly view these types of movies.  I’m not looking for some over riding message or commentary.  There’s room in the movie world for all

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2019, 01:43:25 PM »
“this is fun”

That’s how I mostly view these types of movies.  I’m not looking for some over riding message or commentary.  There’s room in the movie world for all

Totally agree and that's why I had such an issue with TLJ, it wasn't fun and it was trying to tell some larger societal narrative that I just don't care for in Star Wars.

The common appeal to most who liked it seemed to be that it "subverted expectations" which is the whole issue for me, I don't need to be surprised by Star Wars, I'm there to watch, ya know, Star Wars.

Ultimately what I think we see is what happens when the studio doesn't have a vision and/or courage of their convictions. Lucasfilm ping ponged their way through the sequel trilogy.....TFA was too much of a rehash of ANH so they go subversive with TLJ, which the majority of the fanbase reacts negatively to so they bounce back to more of a fan service approach and they get killed there by critics.

Thank god for the Mandalorian otherwise I'd be very concerned that Star Wars as a property was going to die again
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2019, 01:56:20 PM »
My main objection had nothing to do with the movie. I sat down at 10:50 a.m. for an 11 a.m. showtime ... and the movie didn't start until 11:28. I thought about taking a walk or something, but I kept thinking, "THIS must be the last preview." But it never was!

As for the flick, I enjoyed it. I am not as much of a Star Wars head as some, but I have seen them all (except Solo), have seen the original trilogy multiple times, discuss them some with my son (who is more of a fanatic than I am), and like to see what my fellow Scoopers have to say after the fact.

I love Rey. I think she is one of the best (if not the best) heroes the entire series has produced when I factor in the skill of the actor. Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver ... face it ... they act circles around Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher.

My other main reaction when I was watching was that nobody really dies in Star Wars. I chuckled softly to myself when Harrison Ford showed up, and I whispered, "Of course."

I liked the new Keri Russell character ... didn't realize it was her until the credits.

There was a lot in the movie. I agree with mu03eng that it maybe could have been two films. But I never felt it was too long. I got a text about 90 mins in and checked my screen super-quick just to make sure it wasn't important, and I was surprised to see how quickly the movie moved. I certainly was never bored, wishing it was over.

I guess the critics, in general, didn't love it ... but I don't care.

Which was why my son-in-law and I couldn't understand why Chewy was so distraught at Leia's "death".

🏀

• All American
« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2019, 03:36:15 PM »
Much much inner deliberation and rewatching the catalog in order:

Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
Rogue One
—————————-
Return of the Jedi
Rise of Skywalker
—————————-
Revenge of the Sith
A Force Awakens
—————————-
Phantom Menace
Solo
The Last Jedi
Attack of the Clones

Edited for tiers.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 04:42:15 PM by PTM »

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2019, 03:51:12 PM »

Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
Rogue One
Return of the Jedi
Rise of Skywalker
Revenge of the Sith
A Force Awakens
Phantom Menace
Solo
The Last Jedi
Attack of the Clones

Opinions are subjective obviously but I can’t fathom how anyone could rank Phantom Menace anywhere other than last. I can’t even bring myself to rewatch it anymore. It’s horrendous.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2019, 04:05:17 PM »
Opinions are subjective obviously but I can’t fathom how anyone could rank Phantom Menace anywhere other than last. I can’t even bring myself to rewatch it anymore. It’s horrendous.

I believe the last four in that list are pretty bad. Menace seemed to age better. AOTC has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2019, 04:48:26 PM »
I believe the last four in that list are pretty bad. Menace seemed to age better. AOTC has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

I’m definitely not a Star Wars super fan but PM and AOTC are easily the two worst of the universe for me. No desire to watch either of them ever again.

Watched the Last Jedi for the 3rd time last night and I just don’t agree with all the criticism. Maybe it’s because I’m not a super fan but I think it’s pretty good.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2019, 05:03:57 PM »
Totally agree and that's why I had such an issue with TLJ, it wasn't fun and it was trying to tell some larger societal narrative that I just don't care for in Star Wars.

The common appeal to most who liked it seemed to be that it "subverted expectations" which is the whole issue for me, I don't need to be surprised by Star Wars, I'm there to watch, ya know, Star Wars.

Ultimately what I think we see is what happens when the studio doesn't have a vision and/or courage of their convictions. Lucasfilm ping ponged their way through the sequel trilogy.....TFA was too much of a rehash of ANH so they go subversive with TLJ, which the majority of the fanbase reacts negatively to so they bounce back to more of a fan service approach and they get killed there by critics.

Thank god for the Mandalorian otherwise I'd be very concerned that Star Wars as a property was going to die again

I liked the Last Jedi.  It took me 3 viewings but then it clicked.  I thought the issue they had was Carrie Fisher passing away because this was supposed to be her film after Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill got the first two. 

The Last Jedi echoed Empire.  Empire was such a drastic turn from A New Hope, if it was released today, I bet the reaction is similar.  The ending is similar in tone and defeat but still hopeful

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2019, 10:15:08 PM »
My thoughts:

1.  I liked it.  About a 30 minutes in, I thought "Yes, this is a Star Wars movie."  From there I sat back and enjoyed it.

2.  I thought the movie had good pacing and proper length.   Everything had a purpose and I was never bored (or annoyed).

3.  Originally, I didn't want this movie to go in the direction it went.  But in the end it tied this trilogy together and validated the new characters.  I left the theater feeling like the sequel trilogy was finally a story and not just a cash grab.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #90 on: December 21, 2019, 10:32:03 PM »
Which was why my son-in-law and I couldn't understand why Chewy was so distraught at Leia's "death".

Many religious people believe in heaven, yet they are still sad when their loved ones die.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #91 on: December 21, 2019, 10:34:43 PM »
I liked the Last Jedi.  It took me 3 viewings but then it clicked.  I thought the issue they had was Carrie Fisher passing away because this was supposed to be her film after Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill got the first two. 

The Last Jedi echoed Empire.  Empire was such a drastic turn from A New Hope, if it was released today, I bet the reaction is similar.  The ending is similar in tone and defeat but still hopeful

TLJ does not echo Empire at all in my opinion and even if it does in tone, the tone isn't the problem at all. The non-Luke plot of TLJ is entirely dependent on Poe being a moron, Finn being blind to anything but the need to protect Rey(who they cleverly made it clear in TFA she wasn't a damsel in distress), and Holdo needing to put Poe in his place......all while the Resistance hangs in the balance. Wut? And don't even get me started on the Holdo Maneuver.

Meanwhile, with the Rey plot, they turn the ultimate hero in the series(Luke) into a whiney, self absorbed dude who someone turns Vader from the dark side and stands up to the Emperor, but hes ready to murder his own nephew because he seems to be harboring some emo thoughts. I don't need Luke to be some warrior knight, but I sure as hell don't need him hiding away when the universe is falling apart around him.

One other note, I think they made a huge mistake setting TLJ immediately following TFA, especially for the Rey character. I love Rey but my only issue with her is she never really earned her force abilities...i mean she went from having no idea she had force powers to 7 days later she can lift and entire landslide and hold it steady with no issue.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2019, 10:37:32 PM »

Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
Rogue One
—————————-
Return of the Jedi
Rise of Skywalker
—————————-
Revenge of the Sith
A Force Awakens
—————————-
Phantom Menace
Solo
The Last Jedi
Attack of the Clones

Edited for tiers.

I totally agree with your list with one exception....I would at a minimum move Solo up to the third tier, maybe even the 2nd. I really wonder how good that movie turns out if Ron Howard does the whole thing. I thought Solo was very solid and very enjoyable while being very Star Wars

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #93 on: December 21, 2019, 11:23:46 PM »

My god Flying Spaghetti Monster, have you not been to a movie since the Nixon administration?  Nothing starts on time anymore, not even the trailers. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #94 on: December 21, 2019, 11:25:13 PM »
Haven’t seen the movie yet, but I did read through the plot on Wikipedia to see if my predictions about Rey were correct. 

Now I can’t find where I wrote down my predictions. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #95 on: December 21, 2019, 11:28:54 PM »
TLJ does not echo Empire at all in my opinion and even if it does in tone, the tone isn't the problem at all. The non-Luke plot of TLJ is entirely dependent on Poe being a moron, Finn being blind to anything but the need to protect Rey(who they cleverly made it clear in TFA she wasn't a damsel in distress), and Holdo needing to put Poe in his place......all while the Resistance hangs in the balance. Wut? And don't even get me started on the Holdo Maneuver.

Meanwhile, with the Rey plot, they turn the ultimate hero in the series(Luke) into a whiney, self absorbed dude who someone turns Vader from the dark side and stands up to the Emperor, but hes ready to murder his own nephew because he seems to be harboring some emo thoughts. I don't need Luke to be some warrior knight, but I sure as hell don't need him hiding away when the universe is falling apart around him.

One other note, I think they made a huge mistake setting TLJ immediately following TFA, especially for the Rey character. I love Rey but my only issue with her is she never really earned her force abilities...i mean she went from having no idea she had force powers to 7 days later she can lift and entire landslide and hold it steady with no issue.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #96 on: December 21, 2019, 11:32:56 PM »
I totally agree with your list with one exception....I would at a minimum move Solo up to the third tier, maybe even the 2nd. I really wonder how good that movie turns out if Ron Howard does the whole thing. I thought Solo was very solid and very enjoyable while being very Star Wars

I guess there’s something we need to disagree about.

Ehrenreich stinks. He can’t act. I was ready to concede Han to a lesser actor because no one was going to match Harrison, but it was brutal. Glover is out there running laps around that cast.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #97 on: December 21, 2019, 11:50:50 PM »
Haven’t seen the movie yet, but I did read through the plot on Wikipedia to see if my predictions about Rey were correct. 

Now I can’t find where I wrote down my predictions. 

Quote from: Benny B on April 18, 2016, 02:05:03 PM
I just saw the movie for the first time last week, and I'm not going through 7 pages of discussion, but I at least want to be on record as saying that Rey is essentially going to end up being the reincarnation of either Anakin (or maybe Schmi or Anakin's father).

Paraphrasing Maz here: "No one in your past is coming back for you.  But there's still one who may."  Implication: Your ancestry is gone, but not your descendants.

Not to mention... remember how everyone was blown away by Vader's (Anakin's) "No. I am your father"... think about the mind explosions next year if/when Luke says to Rey, "No. You are my father.  Search your feelings, you know it to be true."

My apologies if someone beat me to it, in which case, at least there's more than one genius here
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 11:52:29 PM by PTM »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #98 on: December 22, 2019, 01:14:40 AM »
Nm
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 08:02:54 AM by jesmu84 »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #99 on: December 22, 2019, 07:12:21 AM »
Pretty obvious why Mando chapter 7 was released early before RoS, eh?

Quick thoughts: introduction of palpatine felt rush (announce he was alive in the crawl??); The kiss was unnatural carnal knowledgeing awful

Otherwise, I mostly agree with this writing: https://www.barstoolsports.com/newyork/my-review-of-both-star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-and-wrap-up-of-the-sequel-trilogy

We still holding off spoilers? I’ve got some issues too.