[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: George Webb incident up in Milwaukee yesterday? Backlash  (Read 17111 times)

WarriorDad

• All American
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
Re: George Webb incident up in Milwaukee yesterday? Backlash
« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2018, 12:24:38 AM »
By this logic, how do you explain St. Louis' or Detroits' murder rate being so much higher than Chicago's?

BTW you cherry-picked the year you pulled those murder rates from. Chicago's has consistently been lower than Milwaukee's, except for 2016 when it was unusually high. 2017 and 2018 (so far) are down significantly from 2016 levels.

The bottom line is that strict gun laws don't really mean much if neighboring states are lax. Effective gun control would need to be done at a national level.

In my opinion there are so many factors, which is why only claiming it is an easy drive to the border doesn't always hold up and other times will. 

I didn't cherry pick, the source I had was also the Trace from April of 2018. 

— Plato

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2018, 07:34:19 AM »
Great point, but does that mean our guys are more criminal in nature than Wisconsin's or Indiana's?  If guns are so easy to acquire in border states requiring a short drive from Chicago, shouldn't the murder rates in cities in those states at least be equal to ours, if not higher?  They aren't, they are actually lower. 

Chicago 23.8
Milwaukee 19.8
Indianapolis 17.7

These murder rates aren't all from guns, maybe the explains part of it?

40% of guns confiscated in Chicago are from Indiana Wisconsin and Mississippi.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/glanton/ct-met-gun-control-chicago-dahleen-glanton-20171003-story.html

The matter has to do with gang culture. Chicago has a rate of 20% arrested adult males claiming gang membership. That's twice the next highest city which is LA. No other city has a gang membership rate to even a third of ours.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2018, 09:35:00 AM »
https://onmilwaukee.com/dining/articles/twonewwebbs.html

Congratulations you found the only one although it is at a truckstop in Kenosha and is NOT open 24 hours. If you put it side-by-side with any other Webb location, that one looks unlike all the others

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2018, 11:15:21 AM »
Congratulations you found the only one although it is at a truckstop in Kenosha and is NOT open 24 hours. If you put it side-by-side with any other Webb location, that one looks unlike all the others

And it's not open any more.  It's a Dairy Queen now.
Have some patience, FFS.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2018, 11:37:05 AM »
It's curious that in a discussion of gun violence, Chicos WarriorDad is focusing on murder rates when, by his own admission, that's fairly useless when an unknown number of those murders weren't the result of gun violence.
On the other hand, we have actual data on gun violence which he's choosing to ignore.
What gives?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2018, 12:39:23 PM »
It's curious that in a discussion of gun violence, Chicos WarriorDad is focusing on murder rates when, by his own admission, that's fairly useless when an unknown number of those murders weren't the result of gun violence.
On the other hand, we have actual data on gun violence which he's choosing to ignore.
What gives?
IC, IC
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2018, 01:11:04 PM »
nm
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 01:13:23 PM by Coleman »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2018, 09:27:56 PM »
What gives?

What's a chicos?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2018, 08:23:39 PM »
In before the lock!

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2018, 08:54:43 AM »
What's a chicos?

Imagine Sultan but with a right leaning bent
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

MU82

• All American
« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2018, 09:58:20 AM »
The new Sacha Baron Cohen show on Showtime had a hilarious final segment - he convinced a bunch of gun nuts, including one supposedly influential lobbyist, that he was an Israeli mover/shaker who wanted to set up a guns-for-toddlers program in America to protect our schools and preschools.

Teachers having guns isn't enough. Get 'em in the hands of 3-year-olds!

You gotta watch it to see all the folks who thought it was real and who bought in.

Yes, it was hilarious, but of course in a freakin' sad way.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2018, 12:45:54 PM »
The new Sacha Baron Cohen show on Showtime had a hilarious final segment - he convinced a bunch of gun nuts, including one supposedly influential lobbyist, that he was an Israeli mover/shaker who wanted to set up a guns-for-toddlers program in America to protect our schools and preschools.

You gotta watch it to see all the folks who thought it was real and who bought in.

Looking forward to watching this.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2018, 12:48:23 PM »
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 02:20:48 PM by Waldo Jeffers »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2018, 03:51:49 PM »

Didn't he call them "Kinder Gunners" or something liek that?

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #90 on: July 19, 2018, 04:16:27 PM »
Didn't he call them "Kinder Gunners" or something liek that?
I think it was "kinderguardians"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2018, 06:55:59 PM »
Kinderguardians.

Watch the episode if you haven't already. An amazing list of folks who thought the idea was real and wanted in on it.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2018, 09:44:34 PM »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #93 on: July 19, 2018, 11:07:14 PM »
Imagine Sultan but with a right leaning bent

Sounds terrible in both ways.   ;)
— Plato

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2018, 04:41:05 PM »
Do you remember the name of the Irish bar next door? Both buildings have been vacant for years, still a shamrock above the door where the bar was.

It was O'Donoghue's Irish Pub on 35th and State.  I played softball for that bar for several years while at MU in the early '80s.  Bartender was a little dude named Jimmy, and we passed around pitchers of "Combat Juice" after games.  Then we'd eat breakfast at the Webb's on the corner before heading home.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #95 on: July 23, 2018, 10:28:32 AM »
It was O'Donoghue's Irish Pub on 35th and State.  I played softball for that bar for several years while at MU in the early '80s.  Bartender was a little dude named Jimmy, and we passed around pitchers of "Combat Juice" after games.  Then we'd eat breakfast at the Webb's on the corner before heading home.

It kinda blows my mind how much MU students hung out that far west back in the day. I know there was a dorm way out there too (West Hall?)...it just seems crazy now though. We never really went past 22nd and Wells. I had a few friends who lived on State but it was like 18th and State. On the south side I think we never really went past 22nd and Michigan.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #96 on: July 23, 2018, 10:54:10 AM »
22ND and Michigan.  Also known as 'home' senior year.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #97 on: July 23, 2018, 11:13:15 AM »
I was at MU from 86-90, and I rarely went west of about 19th Street.  All of my friends lived just a couple blocks north of campus so there was really no reason. 

The people who lived at West Hall lived in a different world.  They took a bus to campus and hung out at different bars.  Eventually you really couldn't even understand the language they spoke. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #98 on: July 23, 2018, 11:42:48 AM »
I was at MU from 86-90, and I rarely went west of about 19th Street.  All of my friends lived just a couple blocks north of campus so there was really no reason. 

The people who lived at West Hall lived in a different world.  They took a bus to campus and hung out at different bars.  Eventually you really couldn't even understand the language they spoke.

I lived at West Hall. Walked to campus unless I overslept or lousy weather. Hung out at the same bars as everyone else. Pretty sure I was speaking the same English as everyone else.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #99 on: July 23, 2018, 11:55:52 AM »
I lived at West Hall. Walked to campus unless I overslept or lousy weather. Hung out at the same bars as everyone else. Pretty sure I was speaking the same English as everyone else.

I stand by my hyperbolic statements!!!!  You were pretty much a foreigner.