Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz On Houston Radio Station On April 1 Talking About Dickey to UH and BBall  (Read 5117 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
http://multimedia.play.it/m/audio/30076967/buzz-williams-4-1-10.htm

Buzz loves Dickey and had glowing things to say.

Added later ...

I should have mentioned that this was a bit different interview for Buzz.  He was playing the part of the elder statesmen commenting on the state of the world.

He did very good.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 07:23:29 AM by AnotherMU84 »

westcoastwarrior

• Starter
That is a great listen....I love listening to Buzz's interviews...he allows great insight into how he does things.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Thanks for sharing....I sent this interview off to Mack Rhoades.

The comments about recruiting in Milwaukee was interesting....essentially saying that he has to travel so much where a coach at a place like Houston has all this talent right in his backyard.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 11:16:57 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

4everwarriors

• All American
Proof positive he's gone as soon as Texas, A&M, Texas Tech, or Baylor opens up. There just isn't enough talent in Chicago or the Midwest. Buzz isn't the country bumpkin who just fell off the turnip truck.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Proof positive he's gone as soon as Texas, A&M, Texas Tech, or Baylor opens up. There just isn't enough talent in Chicago or the Midwest. Buzz isn't the country bumpkin who just fell off the turnip truck.

So why doesn't Bill Self or Roy Williams leave for the same reason?

HoopsMalone

• All American
Chicago and Madison are right in Milwaukee's backyard too.  Buzz has done well pulling players from there.  There is also more talent in Milwaukee than college towns.

MarquetteDano

• All American

I must admit listening to that radio interview really hits home (no pun intended) where Buzz feels comfortable.  He just knows Texas so well.  I will really worry if a major Texas job opens up.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
He was also talking to a Houston Radio station, not Homer on ESPN Milwaukee.  He's not going to talk about the positives of Wisconsin and Milwaukee Houston listeners.

Shack

• Starter
Good interview.

Buzz should use that John Lopez example and apply it to JP Tokoto

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
So why doesn't Bill Self or Roy Williams leave for the same reason?

Because those schools pick recruits, there are very few that can do that.  They have a true, national reach.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for

Buzz is certainly much more shrewd and intelligent than your average country bumpkin, but I think he's right there with the country bumpkins when it comes to sincerity.  I think what makes Buzz unique is the combination of sincerity, obsessive planning, and work ethic.   
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
Because those schools pick recruits, there are very few that can do that.  They have a true, national reach.

When Buzz started talking about the 130 man day recruiting limit, it really hit home to me what a tremendous advantage a Kansas, North Carolina, Duke, and Kentucky have.  If you know that the prestige of your program means that your likely to get your first or second choice for each of your scholarships, you're so much better off in being able to spend more time with each recruit to evaluate them.  Whereas if you have to be recruiting at least five guys for each scholarship to be sure you have a decent shot of getting someone you like for the spot, you can only get a couple of looks at each of them on days that they are actually playing.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

babytownfrolics

• Scholarship Player

was this supposed to be in teal?  It's one thing to speculate, but I don't think an offhand comment in a radio show is "proof positive" of anything.

4everwarriors

• All American
Never use teal. Those who read this forum regularly already know my humor, sarcasm, and idosyncrasies.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

HouWarrior

• All American
Turgeon just extended at A&M, Drew made the elite 8 and they'll fight to keep him. Tech is interesting. Pat knight has done ok--not great. I saw an indiana fan post expressing they'd like a Knight at the helm. Obviously just someone blowing stuff out there.
Unless Barnes has heart attack I cant see any Tx  based or Houston recruit based job opening on Buzz.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Dawson Rental

• All American
Never use teal. Those who read this forum regularly already know my humor, sarcasm, and idosyncrasies.

Like skipping the "I" at the start of a sentence.

Lennys Tap

• All American

Yes, the big six (NC, UK, KU, UCLA, Duke and IU) pick recruits. Refresh my memory - who has TC "picked" in the class of 2010?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Yes, the big six (NC, UK, KU, UCLA, Duke and IU) pick recruits. Refresh my memory - who has TC "picked" in the class of 2010?

If one is going to interpret his comments in the interview to mean it is hard to constantly travel back to Texas, why does taking a Texas based job help?  Unless Buzz wants a low major job where he only recruits locally, I cannot see how relocating means less travel.  It's a big state.  No matter where he coaches he's going to recruit nationally.  Further a few more years at MU and if he relocated to Texas, he will be coming back here to recruit kids down to Texas.

I understand that Buzz is from Texas and why he would go back, but arguing that he would go back to lessen his travel schedule does not wash. 

The Lens

• All American
If Buzz leaves for a better job it's because he's done a really good job for MU.  I can live with that.

Butler & XU have proven that a program's commitment to winning can supercede the coach.

To me the bigger issue is who is the next President and what is his take on Men's Basketball.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

bma725

• All American
If one is going to interpret his comments in the interview to mean it is hard to constantly travel back to Texas, why does taking a Texas based job help?  Unless Buzz wants a low major job where he only recruits locally, I cannot see how relocating means less travel. 

You must not truly understand the level of talent available just in the state of Texas. 

They produce the 2nd most D1 players out of any state, and the 2nd highest number of Top 100 recruits(behind California in both).  You could take a high major job there, recruit only players from the state of Texas, and still have a program capable of winning a national championship.  That's how good the talent is down there.   

VegasWarrior77

• All American
You must not truly understand the level of talent available just in the state of Texas. 

They produce the 2nd most D1 players out of any state, and the 2nd highest number of Top 100 recruits(behind California in both).  You could take a high major job there, recruit only players from the state of Texas, and still have a program capable of winning a national championship.  That's how good the talent is down there.

+1
Whoever takes over for Rick Barnes @ Texas will win a national championship!  Has anyone done less with more talent than him?  I get to see Findlay Prep here in Vegas (Henderson) and Barnes got Avery Bradley (Frosh) from Findlay and he's getting Tristan Thompson next year who is a stud forward.  Thompson's teammate Cory Joseph is considering Texas but I think he may end up with Tubby @ Minny (or Oregon).
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

Refresh my memory where I mentioned IU or even the "big six"

Thanks, but I thought we were talking about Bill Self (Kansas) and Roy Williams (UNC)

Tugg Speedman

• All American

It's also a big state.  You act like all this talent is located in one city and he can leave after dinner with his family to see a recruit play on a Tuesday night.

Dallas - Austin = 195 miles
Dallas - Houston = 200 miles
Austin - Houston = 165 miles
Dallas - San Antonio = 270 miles
Austin - San Antonio = 80 miles

That's still a lot travel, by car instead of plane.  All I'm saying is if Buzz is sick of being away from his family and sick of airports, I don't see how relocating to Texas makes that aspect of his life better.  It's the nature of the job he chose and relocating cannot fix that.

Now, if your arguing that he has deep ties to Texas talent, so deep that he can never replicate that at MU, that's a different argument.  However if he does have those deep ties, remember that the State of Texas sent seven teams to the tourney (HOU, UTEP, UNT, TEX, TA&M, BAY, SHSU).  So yes they have more talent but they have way more high major schools in the state.  By comparison, IL, WI and MN collectively sent three teams to the Tourney (Minn, WI and MU).

It's all relative.

TJ

• All American
How was that helpful?  What purpose did it serve?  Are you proud of yourself for sticking it to CBB?

Golden Avalanche

• All American
It's also a big state.  You act like all this talent is located in one city and he can leave after dinner with his family to see a recruit play on a Tuesday night.

Dallas - Austin = 195 miles
Dallas - Houston = 200 miles
Austin - Houston = 165 miles
Dallas - San Antonio = 270 miles
Austin - San Antonio = 80 miles

That's still a lot travel, by car instead of plane.  All I'm saying is if Buzz is sick of being away from his family and sick of airports, I don't see how relocating to Texas makes that aspect of his life better.  It's the nature of the job he chose and relocating cannot fix that.

Now, if your arguing that he has deep ties to Texas talent, so deep that he can never replicate that at MU, that's a different argument.  However if he does have those deep ties, remember that the State of Texas sent seven teams to the tourney (HOU, UTEP, UNT, TEX, TA&M, BAY, SHSU).  So yes they have more talent but they have way more high major schools in the state.  By comparison, IL, WI and MN collectively sent three teams to the Tourney (Minn, WI and MU).

It's all relative.

I'm sure a high major program in Texas wouldn't have a plane ready and waiting for its coach.  :o

Tugg Speedman

• All American
I'm sure a high major program in Texas wouldn't have a plane ready and waiting for its coach.  :o

Does Buzz have access to a plane?  Crean used Strong's plane.

HouWarrior

• All American
Hou area had 41 Div 1 BB recruits last year; about 80% of TX stars are from Hou or DFW. Like many places, the key is relationships w/HS coaches (MU has had 2 from Cy springs HS K  Bradley and E Williams) to keep the pipelines open.
If you are solid in Hou and DFW in HS and AAU circles you can be a very successful recruiter (and spend only 40  min in the air jetting betw the 2--lol)
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Hou area had 41 Div 1 BB recruits last year; about 80% of TX stars are from Hou or DFW. Like many places, the key is relationships w/HS coaches (MU has had 2 from Cy springs HS K  Bradley and E Williams) to keep the pipelines open.
If you are solid in Hou and DFW in HS and AAU circles you can be a very successful recruiter (and spend only 40  min in the air jetting betw the 2--lol)

So when is Dickey taking UH to the final four?  2 years or three years from now?  And, of course all 12 players on his roster will be from TX and his wife will be sick of him having dinner at home every night.

HouWarrior

• All American
So when is Dickey taking UH to the final four?  2 years or three years from now?  And, of course all 12 players on his roster will be from TX and his wife will be sick of him having dinner at home every night.
Being there is no gauranty-- Dickey hasnt been recruiting for years-- UH fans do not see any Hou recr advantage w/him. The areas arent a secret and teams everywhere recruit in TX. UT may have "local " advantage over other big programs in getting tx based kids, but UT goes natl too
Tx has been fertile for many programs and
Buzz will have continued success for MU w/ Hou area--he worked camps and relation develop going all the way back to Navarro college days---its what made him key for Billy G at A&M

feedback