collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Cubs Fans, Worried Yet?  (Read 26691 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Re: Cubs Fans, Worried Yet?
« Reply #125 on: October 13, 2017, 02:57:36 PM »
3 (NLDS) + 4 (NLCS) + 4 (World Series) = 11

3 (ALDS) + 4 (ALCS) + 4 (World Series) = 28, if my Yankees go all the way; though I'm not holding my breath as they are the "cinderella team", if you can believe that, this go around.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #126 on: October 19, 2017, 05:32:28 PM »
3 more in a row then 4 out of 7.  We've got this.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #127 on: October 19, 2017, 06:40:34 PM »
Fat broad gonna belt it out, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #128 on: October 19, 2017, 07:09:13 PM »
Fat broad gonna belt it out, ai na?

Amen.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #129 on: October 19, 2017, 08:06:27 PM »
She is doing her breathing exercises and practicing her scales.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #130 on: October 20, 2017, 08:05:24 AM »
Our long, regional nightmare is over.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #131 on: October 20, 2017, 08:43:34 AM »
Not worried one damn bit.

Happ 22
Russell 23
Almora 23
Baez 24
Schwarber 24
Bryant 25
Contreras 25
Rizzo 27

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #132 on: October 20, 2017, 09:05:24 AM »
Not worried one damn bit.

Happ 22
Russell 23
Almora 23
Baez 24
Schwarber 24
Bryant 25
Contreras 25
Rizzo 27

The Cubs are loaded with very good (and young/controllable) position players. They'll be a force for the foreseeable future. They'll need pitching, but have boatloads of $ and/or assets to spend to acquire it.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #133 on: October 20, 2017, 10:00:34 AM »
The problem for the Cubs this offseason is who would they spend money on for pitching? The best starter on the market is someone they will most likely let walk (Arrieta), the other options aren't great (Cobb, Lynn, maybe Tanaka, maybe Cuteo). The best reliever is someone they will most likely let walk (Davis), and the rest of the relief market this winter is bad.

They'll probably have to trade some combo of Happ/Baez/Almora to pick up pitching.

My other concern for the Cubs is Lester's going to be 34 going into next year. I don't think he'll be bad, but he does have a lot of innings on his arm.

I'll be interested to see how they approach this offseason. Obviously next year's free agent class is loaded and easier to address needs next year. They'll have some arb eligible guys coming up in the next couple of years. Curious if they conserve on spending this offseason, roll the dice on their core, pick up a pitcher, and focus more on 2019 than 2018 for the future of their team.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #134 on: October 20, 2017, 10:25:18 AM »
I doubt he'd go for it but I would try talking Shohei Otani into coming to the Cubs.  He can play with similarly aged players for the next 4-5 years.

Unfortunately hes perfect for the AL.  He can DH on days he's not pitching.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #135 on: October 20, 2017, 10:28:13 AM »
The problem for the Cubs this offseason is who would they spend money on for pitching? The best starter on the market is someone they will most likely let walk (Arrieta), the other options aren't great (Cobb, Lynn, maybe Tanaka, maybe Cuteo). The best reliever is someone they will most likely let walk (Davis), and the rest of the relief market this winter is bad.

Darvish is out there as well.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #136 on: October 20, 2017, 11:18:13 AM »

They'll probably have to trade some combo of Happ/Baez/Almora to pick up pitching.

My other concern for the Cubs is Lester's going to be 34 going into next year. I don't think he'll be bad, but he does have a lot of innings on his arm.

I'll be interested to see how they approach this offseason. Obviously next year's free agent class is loaded and easier to address needs next year. They'll have some arb eligible guys coming up in the next couple of years. Curious if they conserve on spending this offseason, roll the dice on their core, pick up a pitcher, and focus more on 2019 than 2018 for the future of their team.

The Cubs have their 1-2-3 starters in Hendricks, Lester and Quintana so I don't think they'd be looking at a high-priced, long-term guy. Arrieta is gone unless there's no huge payday out there for him and the Cubs can bring him back on a reasonable 2-3-year deal. I'd put my money on Cobb joining the Cubs. I also tend to think that the ineptitude of the Cubs' bullpen this postseason may have made bringing back Davis a top priority. Davis was believed to be a stop-gap for this season with Edwards taking over next season, but Edwards' control issues and inconsistency likely cost him that opportunity. There's also Justin Wilson out there who was excellent for 3.5 years before being awful for a couple months with the Cubs (though his FIP was good). He was another potential closer who crashed and burned down the stretch.

Another guy who I wouldn't be surprised to see dealt for pitching is Addison Russell. Baez can handle SS and Happ can be an everyday 2B who occasionally plays in the OF, a la Zobrist. Happ also probably has the most potential to be a solid lead-off hitter.

There are obviously some upgrades needed but they should still be one of the favorites in the NL.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #137 on: October 20, 2017, 11:48:55 AM »
The Cubs have their 1-2-3 starters in Hendricks, Lester and Quintana so I don't think they'd be looking at a high-priced, long-term guy. Arrieta is gone unless there's no huge payday out there for him and the Cubs can bring him back on a reasonable 2-3-year deal. I'd put my money on Cobb joining the Cubs. I also tend to think that the ineptitude of the Cubs' bullpen this postseason may have made bringing back Davis a top priority. Davis was believed to be a stop-gap for this season with Edwards taking over next season, but Edwards' control issues and inconsistency likely cost him that opportunity. There's also Justin Wilson out there who was excellent for 3.5 years before being awful for a couple months with the Cubs (though his FIP was good). He was another potential closer who crashed and burned down the stretch.

Another guy who I wouldn't be surprised to see dealt for pitching is Addison Russell. Baez can handle SS and Happ can be an everyday 2B who occasionally plays in the OF, a la Zobrist. Happ also probably has the most potential to be a solid lead-off hitter.

There are obviously some upgrades needed but they should still be one of the favorites in the NL.

I don't think Davis is back.  There are legit concerns in terms of his health and he had the highest walk rate of his career this season, which is a problem in this bullpen.  I think he gets the QO and walks.  One reliever I'd like to see them look into is Addison Reed.  Won't be as expensive, is younger, and throws strikes. 

I'd also be stunned if Russel goes anywhere.  Moving him or Baez really weakens you up the middle and I think there is still untapped potential in that bat.  He's only going to be 24 next season.

If anyone on the current team is moved I think the likeliest possibilities are Happ, Schwarber, and Almora, in no particular order. 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #138 on: October 20, 2017, 01:07:02 PM »
Darvish is out there as well.

I didn't include him because I can't see the Cubs going after him. If you go after Darvish, you might as well just re-sign Arrieta.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #139 on: October 20, 2017, 01:26:27 PM »
There's also Justin Wilson out there who was excellent for 3.5 years before being awful for a couple months with the Cubs (though his FIP was good). He was another potential closer who crashed and burned down the stretch.

Not sure if you're implying Wilson as a FA, but I believe they still have him next year. Last year of arbitration.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #140 on: October 20, 2017, 03:46:17 PM »
I'm not close to the Cubbies' situation so I have no idea about Schwarber's contribution to team chemistry, but if I could get a very good pitcher for him I'd move him to an AL team in a heartbeat.

He hits a HR every 9-10 games, has a career .630 OPS with RISP, strikes out a ton or hits grounders into the shift, and plays LF as if he had consumed mass quantities of beer 5 minutes before every game.

But yes, the cleverly nicknamed "Schwarbs" did have a couple of huge hits in the 2016 postseason.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #141 on: October 20, 2017, 05:25:52 PM »
He hits a HR every 9-10 games,

He hits a HR every 4.3 games.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #142 on: October 20, 2017, 05:27:58 PM »
Bosio just needs to get Justin Wilson on his steroid cycling regime.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #143 on: October 20, 2017, 06:10:06 PM »

Oh, don't go dazzling me with facts, Mr. Show-off!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #144 on: October 20, 2017, 11:17:01 PM »

But MU82s assessment of his fielding is spot on. It's like watching a newborn giraffe out there.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #145 on: October 21, 2017, 07:22:03 AM »
But MU82s assessment of his fielding is spot on. It's like watching a newborn giraffe out there.
He plays the outfield like a catcher in a slow pitch softball league.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #146 on: October 21, 2017, 08:26:53 AM »

He plays the outfield like a catcher in a slow pitch softball league.

He is an average fielder.  He has a decent arm. 

Yes he dropped one badly against the dodgers but you’re wrong to use that as the incident to define his worth to humanity.

That’s what hack fans on message boards do.  Glad no one around here is like that :)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #147 on: October 21, 2017, 09:29:25 AM »
He is an average fielder.  He has a decent arm. 

Yes he dropped one badly against the dodgers but you’re wrong to use that as the incident to define his worth to humanity.

That’s what hack fans on message boards do.  Glad no one around here is like that :)

Can you point out where someone tried to define Schwarbs' humanity?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #148 on: October 21, 2017, 11:57:31 AM »
Can you point out where someone tried to define Schwarbs' humanity?

You mean other than calling up a newborn giraffe?

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #149 on: October 21, 2017, 12:15:45 PM »
You mean other than calling up a newborn giraffe?

Do the cubs have that in their farm system? Could be an improvement - they grow fast!

*edit - I checked, and they traded their giraffe to the White Sox in the Quintana trade.