collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: David Ortiz and Manny on doping list  (Read 9350 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: David Ortiz and Manny on doping list
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2009, 05:34:14 PM »
- Everyone is saying how the Bo Sox championship is tainted now.  I'm guessing every World Series in the past X year has been tainted as well with juicers so it's a dumb point.  Especially LaRussa's 2006 Cardinals!

TAKE THEIRS TOO!
SS Marquette

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2009, 08:40:31 PM »
intentional infliction of emotional distress
breach of contract

Who breached the contract?  What was intentionally done?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2009, 10:43:09 AM »
I felt the same way about Manny, who's consistency was legendary.  Of course, as one other poster here noted......maybe he was just cheating the entire time.   Nobody is above suspicion anymore, particularly power hitters.

I agree...and some of my buddies that are still at the Angels believe there are at least 2 or 3 guys on the Halos world championship team that were using...I mentioned Fulmer and Glaus (Vlad wasn't on that team, still in Montreal). 

Yeah, it's unfortunate to say the least.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2009, 10:44:51 AM »
The entire era is a joke?  Methinks that is a bit of hyperbole.  I think John Q. Public is being quasi-brainwashed by the media and columnists with all of this faux outrage.  (And baseball writers are bottom feeders IMHO in the media world.  The most egotistical of the lot.  I swear every baseball column references the old days of the game, when players played not for the $, but just because they love the game.)    

Am I looking back from 1988-2005, and all those games I went to and watched, and telling myself, "man, all of those memories, are just gone."  Of course not.  

And for the older fans (I am 29), who watched Mays, Mantle, Aaron, DiMaggio...I would think they would like to hear all this stuff come out because now their era is now being held in even higher esteem.  And don't tell me these types of things (PEDs) didn't go on back in the 50s, 60s, and 70s either.  Peope will always bend/break rules and hide in the gray to gain an advantage.  Hell Mickey Mantle was too drunk once a week during some seasons to play and completly effed his team, but he is hero, but Ortiz drinks a few shakes in the DR every winter, and he is a villian?  OK, totally fair.

This is sports, it's a game.  And the object is to win, at nearly any cost. Do we want players to take PEDs?  Of course not, but to write off the last 20 years of baseball, I just think that is silly.

Reinko....honestly, what type of "PEDs" existed back then?  I'd like to know.  Those guys often had to work real jobs in the off season.  They had very little workout regiments, drank beer, smoked, etc.  Lifting weights and working out for baseball players was considered taboo.

I'd love to know what type of PED was available back then.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2009, 07:33:04 PM »
I encourage watching the movie "Bigger Stronger Faster".  It is a documentary by a guy who has 2 brothers, all in which juiced (his two brothers were a football player/bodybuilder, the other was a jobber for the WWF, I recognized him from my younger years)... however all three looked up to people like Stallone, Schwarzenegger, Hogan, and others who as kids you didn't think about steroids, and now looking back, you realize they all juiced.  Fantastic movie to show positives and negatives on steroids.

They make some pretty good points on why it should be legal to use steroids, and my favorite point is: Tiger Woods a few years ago received Lasek eye surgery, which enhanced his vision to better than 20/20.  In a sport like golf where your sight is one of the most important things, he surgically enhanced his vision to better than normal, much like in the same way steroids does for your body.

However, I hate David Ortiz, always have, always will... a man who can't play the field is not a baseball player in my book, glad he never won a MVP award, and baseball should suspend him for as long as Ortiz has said players busted for the juice should be suspended.

I wish I could take steroids, become unreal at baseball, win a few world series rings, make millions of dollars in both playing and endorsements, have people love me, play in all-star after all-star game, and then when I am found to be taking steroids, nothing happens... just stupid.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2009, 08:01:01 PM »
However, I hate David Ortiz, always have, always will... a man who can't play the field is not a baseball player in my book, glad he never won a MVP award, and baseball should suspend him for as long as Ortiz has said players busted for the juice should be suspended.

I wish I could take steroids, become unreal at baseball, win a few world series rings, make millions of dollars in both playing and endorsements, have people love me, play in all-star after all-star game, and then when I am found to be taking steroids, nothing happens... just stupid.
What do you want them to do?  He took what was supposed to be an anonymous test for something that was LEGAL at the time and was found to have taken a LEGAL substance at the time.  Can you blame the guy?  A majority of baseball players were doing it, so to stay competitive you almost had to.  This wasn't a test that was taken yesterday.  It would be like all of a sudden making Aspirin illegal and on the same level as marijuana.  What are they going to do, arrest everyone who's ever used Aspirin, even though those people took it while it was still legal?

Why should they treat him differently than everyone else that was on that list?  Because he's a designated hitter?  Makes sense.  I'm thinking you're a little bit jealous...

And personally, I think your argument is...just stupid.  Especially considering the 1st 2 paragraphs you spend explaining why steroids should be legal, and then you go on to say Ortiz should be suspended for steroid use.  Which is it?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 08:05:17 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2009, 08:35:16 PM »
I encourage watching the movie "Bigger Stronger Faster".  It is a documentary by a guy who has 2 brothers, all in which juiced (his two brothers were a football player/bodybuilder, the other was a jobber for the WWF, I recognized him from my younger years)... however all three looked up to people like Stallone, Schwarzenegger, Hogan, and others who as kids you didn't think about steroids, and now looking back, you realize they all juiced.  Fantastic movie to show positives and negatives on steroids.

They make some pretty good points on why it should be legal to use steroids, and my favorite point is: Tiger Woods a few years ago received Lasek eye surgery, which enhanced his vision to better than 20/20.  In a sport like golf where your sight is one of the most important things, he surgically enhanced his vision to better than normal, much like in the same way steroids does for your body.

I'll have to check out the movie....I guess I don't understand the analogy of Tiger Woods and the eye surgery so I'd like to see that in context. 

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2009, 10:57:17 PM »
What do you want them to do?  He took what was supposed to be an anonymous test for something that was LEGAL at the time and was found to have taken a LEGAL substance at the time.  Can you blame the guy?  A majority of baseball players were doing it, so to stay competitive you almost had to.  This wasn't a test that was taken yesterday.  It would be like all of a sudden making Aspirin illegal and on the same level as marijuana.  What are they going to do, arrest everyone who's ever used Aspirin, even though those people took it while it was still legal?

Why should they treat him differently than everyone else that was on that list?  Because he's a designated hitter?  Makes sense.  I'm thinking you're a little bit jealous...

And personally, I think your argument is...just stupid.  Especially considering the 1st 2 paragraphs you spend explaining why steroids should be legal, and then you go on to say Ortiz should be suspended for steroid use.  Which is it?

You are terrible at reading into someone's post.

My first two paragraphs was about the documentary "Bigger Stronger Faster", and used their opinions, not mine.  

I don't think steroids should be legal, and you didn't HAVE to take it to stay competitive, as not everyone took steroids during this time period.  Just because Ortiz is a terrible athlete, and was mediocre at best in Minnesota, and realized he wasn't going to be famous, he took something that would help him, did it, made millions, won 2 world series, made all-star game after all-star game.  All I was saying is I wish I could do that, I mean, the downside is not as large as the positives in what he did, smart business move.

Also, I was just using what David Ortiz said should be the punishment, which he said AT LEAST a year.  Why would a man who knew he took the supplement be so vocal about being against those taking it when it became illegal?  So he could possibly fool us fans to think "oh, Big Papi, hes clean", when all signs pointed to him being tainted, which he was.

The part I'm pissed about is not so much him taking the steroid, but him lying to the fans, those that pay $$$ to watch him swing a bat 4-6 times a game, make his millions.  Those people don't deserve to be lied to.

Since I know you'll ask, "But Mayor, how did he lie?".  In his manner towards those who have been taking steroids, how they should be banned for at least a year.  Putting an act like he didn't take anything.  Come clean, your on the list now, fess up and be crapty these last few years of your career and go away, you weren't a HOF before we knew, now we know, sorry, nice knowing ya.

Stop listening to those on Baseball Tonight sticking up for these guys.  They have to, Fernando Vina, a known steroid user, is a analyst for them on the show, he can't bash steroid users now that he is out of the game.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 11:00:40 PM by Mayor McCheese »
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2009, 09:17:37 AM »
I applaud the MLB for making a sincere attempt to rid their game of performance enhancers...

Steroids are rampant in college football and the NFL and neither the NCAA or the NFL seems to be making a sincere attempt to stop it...heck I can't remember the last time a college football player got caught.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2009, 02:27:20 PM »
I applaud the MLB for making a sincere attempt to rid their game of performance enhancers...

Steroids are rampant in college football and the NFL and neither the NCAA or the NFL seems to be making a sincere attempt to stop it...heck I can't remember the last time a college football player got caught.

Completely agree.  Shawne Merriman was caught a couple years ago in the NFL.  He got a 4 game suspension, and no one said anything about it, wasn't nearly the deal that MLB is receiving, the only one who spoke up was Jason Taylor, another football player, who asked why Merriman could go to the Pro Bowl, although caught as a cheater.

College Football is a whole another story, as I am sure there are many players taking roids throughout the game.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2009, 02:39:27 PM »
Baseball's issue with steroids it seems to me is how it impacts with the historical statistical records.  That is why I wouldn't vote for Bonds, Ramirez, et al for the Hall of Fame, but I wouldn't vacate any titles they won.

Football just doesn't have the same obsession.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2009, 03:20:16 PM »
I think John Q. Public is...

Name dropping really weakens your argument.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2009, 03:26:10 PM »
Reinko....honestly, what type of "PEDs" existed back then?  I'd like to know.  Those guys often had to work real jobs in the off season.  They had very little workout regiments, drank beer, smoked, etc.  Lifting weights and working out for baseball players was considered taboo.

I'd love to know what type of PED was available back then.

Greenies, pep pills.

Depends on what you consider to be performance enhancing.  I bowl better when I drink, so is alcohol a PED?  ;)

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2006/04/02/PBP_AMPHET_0402.html
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 03:28:21 PM by MU_B2002 »
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2009, 04:35:33 PM »
I guess I would label them in a much different category than a steroid obtained from a horse.  I mean, you can get the same stimulus of a greenie by drinking a crapload of coffee, the greenie just cuts to the chase.

Maybe I'm being hypocritical on the subject, but I do see your point. 

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2009, 07:51:14 PM »
Came upon this article, pretty good read.    Testimony from a late draft pick who used in the NFL, published in 2004.  PED's are going to be a
"problem" on some level for the remainder of man's time within competitive sport, imo:

Who’s Using?

Despite what you may believe, not every athlete in the NFL takes performance enhancing drugs. But a lot do. By the interviewees’ estimate, 75% are taking some type of performance enhancing drug on a regular basis (anabolics, stimulants, pain killers, corticosteroids). By no means is the NFL drug free.

As far as anabolics, the most commonly used drugs are Testosterone and recombinant human growth hormone (rHGH). He said that there are more players using rHGH than any other drug. During the writing of the book I spoke with several physicians who treat NFL players and they confirmed this statement. One doctor relayed a story to me of the highest dosage of rHGH he ever saw. It concerned an NFL quarterback who was taking 26 international units (I.U.’s) of rHGH per day. This is an astronomical number!

For your reference, most professional bodybuilders will use between 6 to 12 I.U.’s per day. This guy was taking double what most IFBB professional bodybuilders take. The doctor told me that the quarterback was suffering from severe water retention and gynecomastia and initially came to him for symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome. The athletes in the NFL are some of the most gifted physical forms placed upon this Earth, but they aren’t necessarily the smartest.

One of the major reasons NFL athletes take drugs is not to be bigger, faster, and stronger, but to maintain their physical health and to quickly repair musculoskeletal injuries when they occur during the season. Drugs are not used anymore to gain the winning edge, but simply to stay in the game. This is a fact of modern life in the NFL which has yet to be discussed openly.

Initially, steroids in the NFL were the domain of lineman. These users were also for the most part, white. But this dynamic has changed. It was in the mid 80’s that black lineman in the NFL begun to increasingly use anabolics. Before this period of time, black players had little interest in performance enhancing drugs. It was believed blacks did not need them; it was the white guys who used/needed them to stay competitive. This is no longer the case as described by the interviewee. Whites and blacks in the league are equal opportunity users.

In the last eight to ten years, steroid use and the use of peptide hormones has become commonplace to those athletes in the high skill positions: running backs, receivers, safeties and cornerbacks. Looking at all positions on the football field we can see that gradually over the past twenty years player’s weights have increased well beyond what improved training and nutrition alone can accomplish.

Don’t Hate the Player, Hate the Game

A change in the monetary rewards of the game and a generational shift in mores appear to be responsible for most NFL players believing steroid use is okay. In the press, we often read quotes from players saying they’re against drug. According to our lineman this is pure posturing. Even NFL guys who are not using drugs aren’t against drug use. Most guys understand the NFL is a business and these players just want their paycheck and really don’t care who is using what.

I believe the answer to the accepted use of steroids in the NFL lies in how sports, especially football, have changed over the last 35 years. With the merging of television and football, money has become the driving force behind the game. This is noted clearly in the biography of Vincent Lombardi, When Pride Still Mattered, by David Maraniss.

In the last part of the book, Maraniss describes the shift in the mentality of both management and players as then commissioner Pete Rozelle brought football from a game played for peanuts to a game played for huge amounts of money. The point is made quite clearly by Mariness that salaries of modern day players would make even St. Vincent of Green Bay ask, "My God, what have we done?"

In Lombardi’s time, there was money in the game, but players made nowhere near the money paid today. Take for example the Packer’s 1963 first round draft choice, Dave Robinson. He signed a modest 2-year contract for $45,000, a $15,000 signing bonus, and the use of a car from one of Lombardi’s pals in the auto business. Compare that with the salary in 2003 of the Chicago Bear’s Brian Urlacher. USA Today reported Brian’s salary to be $15,055,600, not including endorsements.

Before football and television consummated their marriage, most players had jobs outside football to supplement their income. As described by Mariness, these men played for love of the game and not a whole lot else. Make no mistake, America will always have a love affair with football, but to say money hasn’t changed the mindset of the players and the game itself is denying reality. Money changes men, and these modern day gladiators are no different from other mortals.

What draws NFL players to steroids? The answer is the almighty dollar. For many NFL players, football is the means to provide a better life for their families. The rewards of success buys mom a new house, gives dad the sports car he always wanted, puts little sister through college, and helps older brother start his own business. Football is enabling many NFL players to finance their family’s American dream. The whole idea of steroids as dishonest business practice doesn’t even enter the mindset of the average steroid-using NFL player. Here lies the great divide between society’s sport moralists and the players. On the line are: money, social status, security, and glory. For these reasons, telling players that steroid use is cheating falls upon deaf ears. Players just don’t see it that way.

feedback