[Today at 04:00:30 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: If Nate Oats calls, what do you say?  (Read 15484 times)

muguru

• All American
Re: If Nate Oats calls, what do you say?
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2019, 11:46:11 AM »
As so many pointed out here years ago...the 5 year mark should be the bench mark for Wojo's tenure...we are at the 5 year mark and now people are saying "next year, next year, next year". Move the goal posts much?? Big deal he is trending upward..Regular season wins mean squat. In CBB it's all about the tourney. Is MU a mid major now where winning 20+ games and a second place finish in a down conference should be applauded?? The small time thinking by the MU fan base is infuriating to me. Apparently it's the way the admin feel now too.

How soon everyone forgets where Buzz had the program...Now THAT was trending upward..Round of 64, round of 32, Sweet 16, Sweet 16, Elite 8...THAT is what trending upward is folks.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2019, 11:50:48 AM »
As so many pointed out here years ago...the 5 year mark should be the bench mark for Wojo's tenure...we are at the 5 year mark and now people are saying "next year, next year, next year". Move the goal posts much?? Big deal he is trending upward..Regular season wins mean squat. In CBB it's all about the tourney. Is MU a mid major now where winning 20+ games and a second place finish in a down conference should be applauded?? The small time thinking by the MU fan base is infuriating to me. Apparently it's the way the admin feel now too.

How soon everyone forgets where Buzz had the program...Now THAT was trending upward..Round of 64, round of 32, Sweet 16, Sweet 16, Elite 8...THAT is what trending upward is folks.

Regular season wins mean more than squat.  Why bother selling season tickets and having a season if they mean nothing? 

I'm not sure you understand the term trending if you aren't including Coach Williams last year.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2019, 11:51:05 AM »
Mike Deane's fifth-season team won 14 games against a soft schedule (including 1-3 vs ranked opponents), never appeared in the rankings and obviously failed to qualify for even the NIT.
Wojo's fifth-season team won 24 games against a strong schedule (including 4-2 vs ranked opponents), was ranked as high as 10th, and earned a 5 seed in the tournament.

Does this answer your question?

Mike Deane had also only signed in recruit, the 18th raked player in Indiana. Not the country, not the Midwest, not nationally at his position, in the entire state of Indiana.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2019, 11:51:13 AM »

Something seems to be missing here ...

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2019, 11:51:28 AM »
I won’t be satisfied until we get 75 Nate Oats haikus from scoop “insiders”.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2019, 11:59:57 AM »
I won’t be satisfied until we get 75 Nate Oats haikus from scoop “insiders”.

im personally just here for the sausage measuring contest between millennials and older generations.

goodness that was as good of a scoop meltdown as ive seen. one guy makes a general comment about older generations always talking about how soft millennials are but then go 5 pages deep about point differentials by a team mu most to and the irony there. and then one of those tough guy non-millennials who had it so much better when a college coach could throw a chair across the court or choke a teenager out with no discipline coming his way goes into a meltdown about agism, pondering whether a guy swallows or spits, how much he can bench and swim, and how he makes theo look like a twig. kind of proved the point. talk about soft.

so...i want in! wheres the registration table for this competition? team snowflake millennial baby!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2019, 12:03:30 PM »
This feels revisionist to me.  Members here have spoken about trajectory, and Coach Steve is swinging upward, Mike Dean was swinging downward on recruiting and results.  Trending is the difference.

There were many MU donors pissed that Deane was let go at the time.  Cords wasn’t as beloved at the start of his tour of duty as he was at the end. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 12:09:57 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2019, 12:21:10 PM »

Missing every post season tournament at the end of Buzz’s tenure is trending upward?  What was trending upward was news not about our team on the court, but off the court....that was trending upward
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2019, 12:24:33 PM »

No one is saying next year next year. They are saying we had a good season, nut up and enjoy it.

Regular season wins don't mean squat. Regular season wins are what get you high seeds. High seed are what get you to the Final Four. Continue to get high seeds and you increase your chances of playing on the biggest stage.

Buzz had us trending up....until he didn't. When he fell, he fell hard. If Buzz had been able to maintain his happy, we may have been well on our way to where we need to be. But that didn't happen and we had to start over.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

DiaperDandy

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2019, 12:30:32 PM »
The only Hurley recruit left on UB is Perkins.  And although Oates didn’t recruit him, he sure as hell should get credit for developing him and his talents.  Even Hurley made a comment after the game about how much Perk had improved.

Oates has taken over a program that Hurley started building and has taken it to another level.  Last year he had the highest ranked recruiting class in UB history and next years’ class is supposed to be even better.  Considering UB has been a doormat in the NCAA since joining division 1 you have to give the guy a lot of credit.

I like the way Nate’s players play for him and I like the way he gets the most out of them.  Like buzz, he is a motivator.  He will
most likely never end up here at Marquette, however, I do think he would be a good fit if the job opened up.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2019, 12:30:40 PM »
No one is saying next year next year. They are saying we had a good season, nut up and enjoy it.

Regular season wins don't mean squat. Regular season wins are what get you high seeds. High seed are what get you to the Final Four. Continue to get high seeds and you increase your chances of playing on the biggest stage.

Buzz had us trending up....until he didn't. When he fell, he fell hard. If Buzz had been able to maintain his happy, we may have been well on our way to where we need to be. But that didn't happen and we had to start over.

Given the way the admin was treating him at the time, I can't blame him for "checking" out. I wasn't at all happy about that final year but given they had been to two sweet 16's and an elite 8 the three prior years, he was given some slack by me under the circumstances.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2019, 12:33:26 PM »
Given the way the admin was treating him at the time, I can't blame him for "checking" out. I wasn't at all happy about that final year but given they had been to two sweet 16's and an elite 8 the three prior years, he was given some slack by me under the circumstances.

No excuse.  You are paid millions, you act accordingly and do your job.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2019, 12:37:03 PM »

The guy who doesn't want to be lectured continues to lecture others.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2019, 12:39:29 PM »
Missing every post season tournament at the end of Buzz’s tenure is trending upward?  What was trending upward was news not about our team on the court, but off the court....that was trending upward

It gets really tiring that you keep referencing this Chicos...so damn tiring..The way the admin treated Buzz that last year I don't blame him for "checking" out. I didn't like it..but given that he had been to two Sweet 16's and an Elite 8 the three years prior, I can cut him a little bit of slack given the circumstances he was working under.

As far as the "off the court" stuff you keep referencing...let me put this in all caps so you get it through your f'n thick head...I DON'T GIVE TWO SH*TS about "off the court" stuff UNLESS it somehow affects the product ON THE FLOOR. Besides, what you keep referencing were ALLEGATIONS, no more, no less. In this country we are innocent until proven guilty.

I have ZERO ties to MU other than the Basketball program, so what i care about is the basketball team and the results they produce, that's it. Period. I became a season ticket holder 15 years ago because of my love for the BASKETBALL program, not the University or anything associated with their academic programs etc. The men's basketball program..that's it. I'm not an alum, have no family that attending MU, no friends that attended MU. Couldn't care less about the "image" of the University. That's just being honest. I care about Wins on the basketball court. That's it. Fell in love with the program as a kid, and it's been my passion ever since. So yes, the results ON THE FLOOR matter to me more than anything else.

Have I made this perfectly clear to you now??

muguru

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2019, 12:41:25 PM »
No excuse.  You are paid millions, you act accordingly and do your job.

Wojo is getting paid Millions...his job is to win tournament games. That's every Coaches job in a high major program. Right or wrong, that's the reality. Is he doing his job??

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2019, 12:51:52 PM »
It gets really tiring that you keep referencing this Chicos...so damn tiring..The way the admin treated Buzz that last year I don't blame him for "checking" out. I didn't like it..but given that he had been to two Sweet 16's and an Elite 8 the three years prior, I can cut him a little bit of slack given the circumstances he was working under.

As far as the "off the court" stuff you keep referencing...let me put this in all caps so you get it through your f'n thick head...I DON'T GIVE TWO SH*TS about "off the court" stuff UNLESS it somehow affects the product ON THE FLOOR. Besides, what you keep referencing were ALLEGATIONS, no more, no less. In this country we are innocent until proven guilty.

I have ZERO ties to MU other than the Basketball program, so what i care about is the basketball team and the results they produce, that's it. Period. I became a season ticket holder 15 years ago because of my love for the BASKETBALL program, not the University or anything associated with their academic programs etc. The men's basketball program..that's it. I'm not an alum, have no family that attending MU, no friends that attended MU. Couldn't care less about the "image" of the University. That's just being honest. I care about Wins on the basketball court. That's it. Fell in love with the program as a kid, and it's been my passion ever since. So yes, the results ON THE FLOOR matter to me more than anything else.

Have I made this perfectly clear to you now??

Ehh, what’s a little rape....”I can cut him some slack”

Pathetic

For the administration, they care.  For many alumni, which I believe you are not, we care.  Find another program that allows that crap to happen where people don’t give two craps about....you will feel much better about yourself and your self worth, and what you value from humanity.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 12:53:36 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2019, 12:56:38 PM »
Wojo is getting paid Millions...his job is to win tournament games. That's every Coaches job in a high major program. Right or wrong, that's the reality. Is he doing his job??

His job is not solely to win tournament games, that is PART of his job.  Not at all surprising to anyone are these points that you didn’t mention.  His job is to be ethical, not put the university in a bad light with actions by his program, graduate players...you know, stuff you don’t give two craps about.

He is also to field a good basketball team, which he has done and why they were rewarded with a NCAA at larger berth.  Yes, win tournament games is PART of his job.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2019, 12:58:07 PM »
Ehh, what’s a little rape....”I can cut him some slack”

Pathetic

For the administration, they care.  For many alumni, which I believe you are not, we care.  Find another program that allows that crap to happen where people don’t give two craps about....you will feel much better about yourself and your self worth, and what you value from humanity.

ALLEGED...ALLEGATIONS...NO CHARGES filed. Can you get that thru your g*d damn thick head?? You weren't there, stop stating it as FACTUAL. You know what?? I'm going to call Directv and accuse you of embezzling millions thru the years. And because I said it, it would HAVE to be true, right?? I mean, why would i lie about something so serious?? Because that NEVER happens in this world. People never just say stuff to get $$, publicity, have agenda's?? No never...#me too

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2019, 01:00:22 PM »
Mike Deane had also only signed in recruit, the 18th raked player in Indiana. Not the country, not the Midwest, not nationally at his position, in the entire state of Indiana.

Krunti Hester, though I don’t recall him being from Indiana.  Yes, recruiting was a major reason, attendance was down, etc.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2019, 01:01:48 PM »
There were many MU donors pissed that Deane was let go at the time.  Cords wasn’t as beloved at the start of his tour of duty as he was at the end.

This is absolutely true, a bunch of our fans hated Cords when I worked there...but that is our intelligent fanbase for you.  They know everything.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2019, 01:02:53 PM »
His job is not solely to win tournament games, that is PART of his job.  Not at all surprising to anyone are these points that you didn’t mention.  His job is to be ethical, not put the university in a bad light with actions by his program, graduate players...you know, stuff you don’t give two craps about.

He is also to field a good basketball team, which he has done and why they were rewarded with a NCAA at larger berth.  Yes, win tournament games is PART of his job.

Because in the history of this world ,not a single entity has ever recovered from a bit of bad publicity from time to time, right?? Coaches that have had a history of running a clean program, no bad publicity etc have lost their job because at the end of the day..they haven't won at a level that was required/wanted by the administration of said school. If this administration is under the desk for Wojo the way they seem to be, because winning at the highest level is secondary to them, then they are a damn joke.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2019, 01:03:43 PM »
The only Hurley recruit left on UB is Perkins.  And although Oates didn’t recruit him, he sure as hell should get credit for developing him and his talents.  Even Hurley made a comment after the game about how much Perk had improved.

Oates has taken over a program that Hurley started building and has taken it to another level.  Last year he had the highest ranked recruiting class in UB history and next years’ class is supposed to be even better.  Considering UB has been a doormat in the NCAA since joining division 1 you have to give the guy a lot of credit.

I like the way Nate’s players play for him and I like the way he gets the most out of them.  Like buzz, he is a motivator.  He will
most likely never end up here at Marquette, however, I do think he would be a good fit if the job opened up.

Not entirely true as I pointed out yesterday.  Another of their key guys was recruited by Buffalo before Hurley left, but signed a month after Hurley left.....because his scholarship at USF fell through so Buffalo was the only option left.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2019, 01:13:02 PM »
Many years later we are still talking about the much maligned Krunti Hester. More posts should be made about Lloyd Moore
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2019, 02:33:39 PM »
ALLEGED...ALLEGATIONS...NO CHARGES filed. Can you get that thru your g*d damn thick head?? You weren't there, stop stating it as FACTUAL. You know what?? I'm going to call Directv and accuse you of embezzling millions thru the years. And because I said it, it would HAVE to be true, right?? I mean, why would i lie about something so serious?? Because that NEVER happens in this world. People never just say stuff to get $$, publicity, have agenda's?? No never...#me too

Is that a threat?

You are entitled to your beliefs and what happened.  We were in the news for all the wrong reasons, whether it be player punching student, players cited at parties on the heels of all this when they should have been as squeaky clean as possible at that point just out of common sense, to multiple sexual assault issues, to NCAA violations and lying about them to the administration (the cover up is always the problem) and on and on and on....that’s just the stuff that made the news.

But sure, we get it...you don’t care...just win baby...that’s all that matters to you. That’s fine for some schools and surely for professional sports. Thing is, you don’t run a university and you are not responsible for the stewardship of it.  The people in charge made their decision, which is clearly at odds with yours. Many alumni support that vision, it was awful the press the university got.  Awful. This is why I suggest you probably should move on, because the people in charge aren’t going to allow that stuff to happen again. I say this purely from a perspective of you will continue to be disappointed if you expect that kind of behavior to return and be allowed.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2019, 02:34:33 PM »
Because in the history of this world ,not a single entity has ever recovered from a bit of bad publicity from time to time, right?? Coaches that have had a history of running a clean program, no bad publicity etc have lost their job because at the end of the day..they haven't won at a level that was required/wanted by the administration of said school. If this administration is under the desk for Wojo the way they seem to be, because winning at the highest level is secondary to them, then they are a damn joke.

Yes, and usually you recover by not repeating history.  Thank you...could not have said it better.

feedback