[Today at 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[Today at 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[Today at 10:37:13 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU coaching candidates  (Read 90523 times)

Scoop Snoop

• All American
Re: MU coaching candidates
« Reply #650 on: March 25, 2021, 10:42:00 AM »
I’d be happy with all 4 mentioned. I think Shaka is my favorite and would have us back to the level we need quicker.

I think Moser might be the best long-term fit, but we’d need some patience with him. He seems to be very deliberate in building his culture, and won’t take shortcuts. In the videos I’ve watched, he talks most about culture and Majerus.

I also think Moser’s style of play is so different from Wojo, it will take time to get his players in. I do think Garcia would be fantastic in the Krutwig role.

Agree that Shaka would probably have us "back at the level we need quicker" but I fear that he would use Marquette as a place to reload and then move on. I think Gates, if successful, would bolt in 3 years. I doubt that Shaka, if successful, would last any longer.

Agree that getting us back to where we need to be would be a longer wait with Moser but Marquette has been embarrassed by Buzz's departure and then, after  the Duke Golden Boy failed, we would look like chumps if Gates/Shaka left after 3 years. I simply cannot either one staying much longer than that.

I like Moser for many other reasons but the likelihood of his being a long term coach is high on my list.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #651 on: March 25, 2021, 10:42:57 AM »
Love listening to Moser. He exudes confidence and enthusiasm. Will be successful at any basketball stop. For MU, he's just what the doctor ordered. Would love to be at his introductory presser,  hey?

Hey.

DefinitelyNotPorterMoser

• Walk-On
« Reply #652 on: March 25, 2021, 10:43:46 AM »
No, he’s saying an unannounced opening will drop shortly

I completely misinterpreted the tweet ... but my original point still stands. Either report it or don't.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #653 on: March 25, 2021, 10:45:05 AM »
I completely misinterpreted the tweet ... but my original point still stands. Either report it or don't.

Because reporting something that isn't finalized worked out so well for us last time  ::)
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #654 on: March 25, 2021, 10:58:11 AM »
Agree that Shaka would probably have us "back at the level we need quicker" but I fear that he would use Marquette as a place to reload and then move on. I think Gates, if successful, would bolt in 3 years. I doubt that Shaka, if successful, would last any longer.

Agree that getting us back to where we need to be would be a longer wait with Moser but Marquette has been embarrassed by Buzz's departure and then, after  the Duke Golden Boy failed, we would look like chumps if Gates/Shaka left after 3 years. I simply cannot either one staying much longer than that.

I like Moser for many other reasons but the likelihood of his being a long term coach is high on my list.

Getting a long term coach is always going to be hard. Few universities ever get this. I think Gates would be the most likely flight risk for FSU.

The "stepping stone" argument for Shaka is largely based on conjecture. He didn't spurn us for a bigger job--he saw a completely unstable athletic department and no university president and said "no thanks." I have turned down a few jobs where the money looked good but the department I was going into had a complete exodus--meaning a lot of uncertainty and instability which doesn't "promote happy" when you have to pick up a lot of pieces.

I think the experience with fans and boosters at Texas combined with our strong basketball resources makes us look super attractive to Shaka for a long run. I prefer Shaka 2020 over Shaka 2014 given that he likely isn't looking for the "next step" now whereas he might have then.

Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #655 on: March 25, 2021, 11:00:32 AM »
Getting a long term coach is always going to be hard. Few universities ever get this. I think Gates would be the most likely flight risk for FSU.

The "stepping stone" argument for Shaka is largely based on conjecture. He didn't spurn us for a bigger job--he saw a completely unstable athletic department and no university president and said "no thanks." I have turned down a few jobs where the money looked good but the department I was going into had a complete exodus--meaning a lot of uncertainty and instability which doesn't "promote happy" when you have to pick up a lot of pieces.

I think the experience with fans and boosters at Texas combined with our strong basketball resources makes us look super attractive to Shaka for a long run. I prefer Shaka 2020 over Shaka 2014 given that he likely isn't looking for the "next step" now whereas he might have then.

100% agree

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #656 on: March 25, 2021, 11:02:33 AM »

Maybe I’m naive, but think Shaka would stick around. Crean learned the grass isn’t always greener and I think part of him wishes he never left. I think Shaka saw Texas and a basketball only school in a basketball conference may keep him here.

He’s only 43. I’m sure it’s very unlikely he retires here. But I also don’t think it’s a certainty he’s putting his name out every year.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #657 on: March 25, 2021, 11:26:53 AM »
Maybe I’m naive, but think Shaka would stick around. Crean learned the grass isn’t always greener and I think part of him wishes he never left. I think Shaka saw Texas and a basketball only school in a basketball conference may keep him here.

He’s only 43. I’m sure it’s very unlikely he retires here. But I also don’t think it’s a certainty he’s putting his name out every year.

I agree with this take
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #658 on: March 25, 2021, 11:38:26 AM »
I think MU was scrambling in this search a bit.

I think the rumors of them talking to Shaka Smart several weeks ago are true. But I think they were part of gauging interest for an opening next year. Likely had similar discussions with Moser/his agent.

I think they were planning on giving Wojo one more year. One last chance to show he had what it takes to win at MU. The plan being that it would reduce the buyout more, and would also reduce/eliminate the buyout for Shaka who was widely rumored to be moving into his last year at TX before their Big12 tournament run.

Essentially, they were lining up their candidates for a hire 1-year out with Shaka at or near the top of that list.

Then, external pressure made them move now. Wojo fired. At that time, Shaka was now rumored to be in line for a possible contract extension. That almost assuredly shuffled candidate rankings/possibilities. Moser would still have been at or near the top of the list, but was still playing in the tournament. So everything on hold, and a bit of a scramble to see who makes sense now on an earlier time table.

Then, Shaka loses to ACU. New scramble, as, like Wojo, the fire Shaka train accelerated greatly at TX. A candidate they thought was off the table, may indeed be very available. But, did some of the luster wear off. Likely, a completely new shuffling of candidates.

All of the uncertainty, likely leaves Moser at the top as his stock was only rising, but likely some internal/external pressure for Shaka, who may have been well liked for the original presumed opening next year. Will be interesting to see how this shakes out. Probably an odder behind the scenes search than normal, but with good candidates to choose from.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #659 on: March 25, 2021, 11:42:38 AM »

Agree with all this. We’re in such a better spot with this opening than we were last time and we have much better candidates to choose from two of which I could see being at MU for a long long time.
No Finish Line

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #660 on: March 25, 2021, 12:16:11 PM »
Love listening to Moser. He exudes confidence and enthusiasm. Will be successful at any basketball stop. For MU, he's just what the doctor ordered. Would love to be at his introductory presser,  hey?

5pm tonight at the Al? 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #661 on: March 25, 2021, 01:26:53 PM »

With regards to Crean, when I think of him, I think about his 5 different stops at large public universities, often Power 5, that have football. Even while at MUBB, these were also places of interest for him.

Absence can make the heart grow fonder sometimes (and sometimes not) depending on one's situation.

I'm sure Crean has good memories, and he appreciates that he receives some support and is well regarded by some at MUBB. (Not all of course). I'm not sure he has regret leaving MUBB as much as he has not yet had a long term happy success place after, yet.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #662 on: March 25, 2021, 08:00:25 PM »
Folks talk about "flight risk," and "stepping stone" and loyalty ... but it's a two-way street. How "loyal" was MU to Wojo and Deane and Dukiet?

Some - maybe most (maybe all) - would say, "Too damn loyal," but they still had years on their contracts. And Deane and Wojo even had relative recent (year before) success.

Might Moser or Shaka stick around for awhile? Possibly. But not if they aren't deemed successful enough.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #663 on: March 25, 2021, 08:21:48 PM »
This is why I’m pro-Shaka. If you go below the surface level of his Texas results, it doesn’t look nearly as bad. Offense is a bit all over the place but defense is solid.

https://twitter.com/lowedownstats/status/1375247711419662336?s=21

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #664 on: March 25, 2021, 08:33:17 PM »
This is why I’m pro-Shaka. If you go below the surface level of his Texas results, it doesn’t look nearly as bad. Offense is a bit all over the place but defense is solid.

100%
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #665 on: March 25, 2021, 08:57:04 PM »
Somewhere here Gainey was mentioned. Is he getting a serious look?

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #666 on: March 25, 2021, 09:02:51 PM »
I'm 100% all in on Shaka or Moser, but if the powers that be and bill payers say we can only afford to spend 1.5 or less a season, we'd be looking at a different tier with Gates, possibly Gainey, or some other assistant out there. I mean right now it's just assumed we are going to pay one of those guys, but that's a crap load of money someone (else) has to pay for what is a slightly more calculated roll of the dice.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #667 on: March 25, 2021, 09:05:44 PM »
Somewhere here Gainey was mentioned. Is he getting a serious look?

The only mention of gainey I could find was. "Gainey and Broeker still follow Dennis Gates on twitter"

so i guess he could stay on staff.

I wouldn't be surprised if he took and assistant job in the ACC/ or a low level HC job in one of the Carolinas

genious expert

• Team Captain
« Reply #668 on: March 25, 2021, 09:33:07 PM »
On the Yahoo Sports College Podcast w/ Dan Wetzel, Pat Forde and Pete Thamel they talked about Moser today. Thamel said he should go to Marquette and the other 2 thought it was outrageous and totally dismissed the idea.

Here’s a direct quote “Other than the fact that you’re going to a conference with multiple bids what’s better at Marquette than what’s at Loyola?”

Don’t listen unless you want to be pissed off. Starts at about the 25min mark.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/yahoo-sports-college-podcast/id1423417914#episodeGuid=90b2be66-dcb7-4aac-8593-c7ec883af854

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #669 on: March 25, 2021, 09:46:32 PM »
Ive always thought Wetzel was a bit of a dunce and Forde is biased from that Indiana/Kentucky region. I’m not to stressed by either of their opinions

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #670 on: March 25, 2021, 10:18:18 PM »

I find it odd that "going beneath the surface" means just looking at overall offensive & defensive ranking for these guys. Peel it back further to the 4 factors. The only thing Shaka has been consistently pretty good at during his UT trnure is eFG% defense. They don't generate turnovers, and they don't rebound misses. On offense, they generally struggle to score efficiently from the field, don't crash the boards particularly well, and frequently turn the ball over a ton. Does that sound like a program with an identity besides "we recruited a bunch of tall highly ranked guys that makes it modestly difficult to shoot against?" We just fired a guy that had no discernable identity to his teams besides for a few guys that could shoot lights out a few years and did nothing else discernably well.

We can do better.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #671 on: March 25, 2021, 11:21:35 PM »
I find it odd that "going beneath the surface" means just looking at overall offensive & defensive ranking for these guys. Peel it back further to the 4 factors. The only thing Shaka has been consistently pretty good at during his UT trnure is eFG% defense. They don't generate turnovers, and they don't rebound misses. On offense, they generally struggle to score efficiently from the field, don't crash the boards particularly well, and frequently turn the ball over a ton. Does that sound like a program with an identity besides "we recruited a bunch of tall highly ranked guys that makes it modestly difficult to shoot against?" We just fired a guy that had no discernable identity to his teams besides for a few guys that could shoot lights out a few years and did nothing else discernably well.

We can do better.

Don’t understand the analytics guys’ hate for all things FG%Defense.
Um, KO led the nation in opponents’ eFG% with only one (albeit exceedingly) “tall” guy.

And that Miller/Mac/Key/Eford/Loggermann team was the definition of defensive “identity” !!!!!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 11:24:18 PM by NorthernDancerColt »
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #672 on: March 26, 2021, 05:22:52 AM »
The only thing Shaka has been consistently pretty good at during his UT trnure is eFG% defense.

Rob has something coming you should take a look at. Will likely publish in the next day or two on Cracked Sidewalks.

That said, Shaka's time with Havoc shows he knows how to generate turnovers. He made conscious decisions to change his defense at Texas and despite that remained top-40 every year. And even with defensive success, brought in Luke Yaklich when he was available, widely regarded as the best defensive assistant in the country, so Smart is willing to challenge his own thought processes.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

axaguy

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #673 on: March 26, 2021, 06:55:28 AM »
Let's be honest with ourselves, first. Moser is the hot topic today but he's been at Loyola 10 years and through 2018 there was sub .500 overall and in conference for seven years.
Would we be willing to wait that long for "success" here? Would our leash be as long?
Looking back there was no guarantee in 2017 he'd have the success he's had the last three years. Could we, would we wait with that uncertainty?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #674 on: March 26, 2021, 07:01:17 AM »
Let's be honest with ourselves, first. Moser is the hot topic today but he's been at Loyola 10 years and through 2018 there was sub .500 overall and in conference for seven years.
Would we be willing to wait that long for "success" here? Would our leash be as long?
Looking back there was no guarantee in 2017 he'd have the success he's had the last three years. Could we, would we wait with that uncertainty?

Of course not. That’s why P6 schools like to hire mid-major coaches. There’s a learning curve to being a head coach. Some figure it out more quickly than others. It seems that in this round of hiring, MU intends to hire someone who appears to have figured it out in someone else’s dime.

Maybe it’ll work...maybe not.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

feedback