Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Does this season count?  (Read 8688 times)

1SE

• All American
Does this season count?
« on: December 16, 2020, 08:00:21 AM »
On the bigger picture, like all of us, I'm just enjoying getting to watch every game we get. But as the season unfolds, I wonder how it will all go into the record books. Will everything have an asterisk?

We've all discussed quite a bit how, given the situation, this will be a "free" year for coaches who underperform. But given a couple unexpected wins, how about in the opposite direction? If we achieve great things this year, does it "count" (i.e. does Wojo get a big extension)? What if we make a Final Four in a tournament that's missing a large number of high-profile teams? Do we still hang a banner?

Strange times.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Shooter McGavin

• All American
Re: Does this season count?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 08:02:48 AM »
Yes it counts.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 08:08:44 AM »
It will effect some things.    For example, if MU only plays, for example, 22 games and goes 15-7.    Nojoers will point out it his fewest number of wins since his first year and use it as a reason to fire him.     It will affect players who play 4 years but won't play as many games so won't be as high on all-time lists.   

What will really frost the nojoers is if the team does well-ish, in the midst of all the chaos, the powers that be will have less reason to get rid of Wojo and more reason to extend him. 

So the only way this season hurts Wojo is if there is a complete and utter collapse or a scandal.   

In a perfect world, it would remind us that it is just a game and these are just young men representing our school and that we should appreciate the opportunity to watch sports for fun.     
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 08:15:48 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 08:14:02 AM »
Of course it counts.  Just enjoy what we have and don't worry too much about it.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 08:39:22 AM »
The players are still playing and celebrating wins; the coaches are still teaching players and strategizing for games; and the fans are still hopeful, practical or critical, to match their personal natures.

Personally, the wins over UW@Madison and Creighton were as fun to watch as any regular season top-10 wins I can remember, so it counts to me.

And it definitely counts to my cat...who still eyes me suspiciously after the scream I let out for Justin's tip-in.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2020, 08:39:34 AM »
If we do well, it counts.  If not, Covid year!

Lakers championship doesn't count.  Dodgers championship doesn't count.  If the Packers win the Super Bowl it damn well counts.  If not, the Chiefs championship won't count.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 08:52:02 AM »
Yes. Every sport being played counts. It's a weird season but it's weird for everybody not just a few teams
Maigh Eo for Sam

1SE

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 08:53:46 AM »
Is there a plan already for what happens if a tourney team tests positive? Will it be it a forfeit?
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2020, 08:54:50 AM »
No asterisks on the way I celebrated Lewis' tip-in or the Carton three from the corner the other night.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2020, 08:56:36 AM »
Well if the Dodgers are World Series Champions I guess this season will count.

...and if my Giants win the Super Bowl it will definitely count.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2020, 08:58:58 AM »
Everyone paying under the same rules. Definitely counts.

Heck, last year us and a load of other teams had a NCAA tourney appearance taken from us in "not counting".

So as far as I'm concerned we could Oregon Football(backed into title game due to Covid) our way into the tourney this year and it would count as a bid in my eyes.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2020, 09:25:54 AM »
Is there a plan already for what happens if a tourney team tests positive? Will it be it a forfeit?

Last I heard, the NCAA was hoping to formally announce plans for a single-site (Indy) tournament by the end of the year. I suspect the plans will include the details of the bubble(s), including testing criteria and outcomes.

That said, I think it would have to be a forfeit. With so little time between games, I just don't see how they could 'wait' while a team is quarantining.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2020, 09:28:51 AM »
This may already have been discussed elsewhere, but what is the NCAA saying about eligibility for the basketball season. Football players can play an extra year if they want as this season is not counting against their eligibility. Is it the same for basketball?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2020, 09:30:20 AM »
This may already have been discussed elsewhere, but what is the NCAA saying about eligibility for the basketball season. Football players can play an extra year if they want as this season is not counting against their eligibility. Is it the same for basketball?

Yes. This was announced in October.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/di-council-extends-eligibility-winter-sport-student-athletes

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2020, 09:31:20 AM »

Last I heard, the NCAA was hoping to formally announce plans for a single-site (Indy) tournament by the end of the year. I suspect the plans will include the details of the bubble(s), including testing criteria and outcomes.

That said, I think it would have to be a forfeit. With so little time between games, I just don't see how they could 'wait' while a team is quarantining.

I don't know why this would be hard to set up. In my area there are adult sports leagues that do their own 15-minute testing, every week before game day, and that require any spectators do a 15-minute test before entering the gym.

If an adult rec league can set something like that up, I'm pretty sure the NCAA can.

For those curious, the normal $200 individual entry fee for the league, was increased to $400 to cover testing costs, and spectators have to pay their own fee for test...not sure the cost.

leever

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2020, 09:43:03 AM »
Everyone paying under the same rules. Definitely counts.

I realize that's just a typo, but struck me as hilarious that everyone is PAYING under the same rules.  I always thought some teams had different rules for paying.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2020, 09:43:39 AM »
Of course it doesn't count. It's all a simulation. You are in the Matrix.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2020, 09:47:32 AM »
Nope, doesn't count.

So the hyper-haters of Wojo shouldn't bother paying any attention to the contract extension he'll receive.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2020, 09:58:58 AM »
Nope, doesn't count.

So the hyper-haters of Wojo shouldn't bother paying any attention to the contract extension he'll receive.

Oh God.  I'm not sure I am prepared for that to happen.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2020, 10:05:41 AM »
I realize that's just a typo, but struck me as hilarious that everyone is PAYING under the same rules.  I always thought some teams had different rules for paying.

Same.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2020, 10:14:49 AM »
Yes. Next Question
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2020, 10:17:30 AM »

Fauci says herd immunity by end of March start of April.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2020, 10:18:24 AM »
We've all discussed quite a bit how, given the situation, this will be a "free" year for coaches who underperform.

The reason this may be "free" year for some underperforming coaches is not because the season is getting an asterisk. No one reasonable is going to say a bad performance this season can't be held against a coach (unless maybe they are repeatedly rocked by COVID issues and never get to practice). The reason is because some schools may not be able to justify paying millions to fire an employee in the midst of a financial crisis caused by a global pandemic.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2020, 10:23:09 AM »

Oh God.  I'm not sure I am prepared for that to happen.

I was trying to be hilarious, naturally. But you know the way things work in big-time college sports: Most coaches, at least most who are valued by their schools at all, are not "left hanging" with too little time left on their contracts because of the recruiting disadvantages such situations present.

So Lovell & Co might very well decide they need to make a decision on Wojo's contract in 2021. And if we have a decent season at all, it's not crazy to think he'll get extended.

So y'all better prepare for it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2020, 10:25:13 AM »
The reason this may be "free" year for some underperforming coaches is not because the season is getting an asterisk. No one reasonable is going to say a bad performance this season can't be held against a coach (unless maybe they are repeatedly rocked by COVID issues and never get to practice). The reason is because some schools may not be able to justify paying millions to fire an employee in the midst of a financial crisis caused by a global pandemic.

And it certainly hasn't stopped college football coaches from being fired.

feedback