[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Gill to Maryland  (Read 12099 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Gill to Maryland
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2016, 07:34:15 AM »
If Marquette's success next year hinges on Young then I'm not sure how successful we will be to begin with. Young is a long term solution in my opinion. Not a short term one. Would love to have him though.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2016, 07:40:50 AM »
The advantage to landing young this year comes a year from now after Luke graduates.   Having Heldt and Young each with another year under their belt helps the 17-18 team.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2016, 07:43:44 AM »
The advantage to landing young this year comes a year from now after Luke graduates.   Having Heldt and Young each with another year under their belt helps the 17-18 team.   

Exactly.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2016, 08:18:56 AM »
I really hope MU gets Khalif.   He will be a valuable addition to the program.    However, it is not reasonable to expect a late spring signing of an under-the-radar big to be a program changer.   More often than not, a big signed in May is a project, a program player.    If he comes, I do not expect him to put MU on his back this season.    Those kind of expectations were unfair to Henry, (though he was very, very good), and they are completely unreasonable to this young man.
Assuming MU lands KY, I will view this class as a building block for future greatness, not an immediate impact class.     Lots of talent, but the kind that takes a couple of years.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2016, 08:20:07 AM »
It takes 15/8 to get you excited? Better not hold your breath, there were only 12 high-major players in the country last year that put up those kind of numbers:

Ben Simmons, LSU (192/11.8)

Simmons averaged 192 a game and LSU still missed the tournament? Now I'm really confused.  :)

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2016, 08:36:54 AM »
I don't think anyone is "creaming" themselves over Young. I think some people recognize that our need for a big in the 17-18 season is much bigger than our need for a big in the 16-17 season. I don't expect Young to contribute much more than Matt Heldt did last season. But I am excited that if we were to get Young, we wouldn't have to bank on a grad transfer or a freshman to provide meaningful minutes in the post alongside Matt Heldt, our only other big currently on the roster for 17-18.

I want to get into the tournament next season. But I'd rather get into the tournament next season and the season after that. You do that by recruiting a steady stream of guys who might sit on the bench their first and second years but are starters by the third. I know I am in the minority but I think our roster, as it currently stands, can make the NCAA tournament next season. Gill would have cemented my confidence and Young doesn't, but I think this squad will make the tournament and then Young will help them make the tournament again next season.

Finally, I'll admit to being optimistic about Young. He looks like he has some good tools and high upside. He had a couple of blue bloods sniffing around him. They didn't offer but they were at least intrigued. More importantly, from what I've heard, Wojo is really high on the kid. That's enough for me to want him in blue and gold.

My thoughts exactly. An incredibly thoughtful, reasonable and well-stated response. No doubt leading many Scoopers to wonder, "What's this forum coming to? Where's the indignant outrage driven by wildly unrealistic expectations?"
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2016, 08:49:51 AM »
You could get the entire Golden State Warriors roster playing at Marquette and he'd wonder why we can't get MJ in his prime to MU.

Even better would be landing a player who doesn't exist — a mythical big who will break Henry's freshman rebounding record, post up like Robert Jackson, drift to the outside like Novak, drive the lane like Wade, block shots like McIlvane, steal passes like Jerel and distribute the ball like Tony Miller.

Why can't Wojo land that player?
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2016, 09:02:24 AM »
Love everyone creaming themselves over Young. Is it his extremely high ranking that's getting everyone so excited?? Besides he will do NOTHING for MU's tourney chances next year. It's not like he's this dominant back to the basket big guy. Wojo gets one of those, then the excitement is warranted. Excuse me if i can't join in the excitement over a 6'9" player that will likely be an average at best contributor his 4 years in school. He goes to Providence, I won't lose any sleep. Would have much rather had Gill. It's about making the tourney THIS coming year.

What a ridiculous post.

Do you think Bucky backers were "creaming themselves" over the Kaminsky signing, or the signings of any of their several project bigs who turned out to be quite good?

Conversely, Bucky backers probably were creaming themselves over the Butch signing, and he was pretty bad before finally blossoming.

Were Scoopers creaming themselves over the Gardner signing? He turned out OK, no?

guru, you have absolutely no idea if Young will be good, bad or mediocre. You wanted Gill, you're pissed we didn't get him, and you're taking it out on Young, Wojo and your fellow Scoopers.

Grow the eff up. It's basketball, not life. And you don't know more about basketball than anybody else here.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2016, 11:13:47 AM »
What a ridiculous post.

Do you think Bucky backers were "creaming themselves" over the Kaminsky signing, or the signings of any of their several project bigs who turned out to be quite good?

Conversely, Bucky backers probably were creaming themselves over the Butch signing, and he was pretty bad before finally blossoming.

Were Scoopers creaming themselves over the Gardner signing? He turned out OK, no?

guru, you have absolutely no idea if Young will be good, bad or mediocre. You wanted Gill, you're pissed we didn't get him, and you're taking it out on Young, Wojo and your fellow Scoopers.

Grow the eff up. It's basketball, not life. And you don't know more about basketball than anybody else here.

I did.  Actually, I took it a bit too far, wondering whether he would be another Damon Key.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2016, 11:18:21 AM »
So MU should take a big every year just because he's a big?? nevermind if he doesn't contribute much in his 4 years at MU?? Give me a 15-8 big all day and then we can get excited.

I think that Young compares favorably with some bigs that have turned out quite well at places like Xavier.  Bigs are different then wings, they often haven't been big that long when they're recruited.  They still have lots of development potential to fulfill.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2016, 11:36:47 AM »
Exactly.

I think the margins matter more than you let on here.  Going from first four out to first four in is probably decided by one L that could be a W.  Going from a 4 seed in the NIT to last four in is probably turning to L to W.  I more than think having a big, if unpolished, 4 playing some meaningful minutes in an appropriate matchup situation turns a L or two into Ws.

Plus, you are right "4 guard" teams can win - but only when hey have an absolute dominator like Ocheafau (sp) in the middle.  I love love and think he is a great player, but that's not his game.  There are teams in our schedule where we need to put some meat in the paint and right now we just don't have that.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2016, 12:26:17 PM »
I think the margins matter more than you let on here.  Going from first four out to first four in is probably decided by one L that could be a W.  Going from a 4 seed in the NIT to last four in is probably turning to L to W.  I more than think having a big, if unpolished, 4 playing some meaningful minutes in an appropriate matchup situation turns a L or two into Ws.

Plus, you are right "4 guard" teams can win - but only when hey have an absolute dominator like Ocheafau (sp) in the middle.  I love love and think he is a great player, but that's not his game.  There are teams in our schedule where we need to put some meat in the paint and right now we just don't have that.
Not with the schedule with played last year. I do think we would of got an NIT bid, if we had finished 9-9 in Big East. In that case the DePaul loss cost us an NIT bid. However, adding a Belmont win to that would of got us no where near to an NCAA bid.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2016, 02:19:12 PM »
Not with the schedule with played last year. I do think we would of got an NIT bid, if we had finished 9-9 in Big East. In that case the DePaul loss cost us an NIT bid. However, adding a Belmont win to that would of got us no where near to an NCAA bid.
I think we needed to beat DePaul, Belmont, Creighton and Georgetown to make NCAA given the rest of the schedule. Or get to the final of the Big East tournament which would have meant another quality win.  I agree with You on the NIT. 
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2016, 03:16:28 PM »
I think we needed to beat DePaul, Belmont, Creighton and Georgetown to make NCAA given the rest of the schedule. Or get to the final of the Big East tournament which would have meant another quality win.  I agree with You on the NIT.

I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2016, 03:18:19 PM »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2016, 04:40:13 PM »

Is that a dead horse or a dead llama?
            ---Al McGuire

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2016, 05:18:13 PM »
Is that a dead horse or a dead llama?

Either way, it's dead.  And you're still beating it.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2016, 05:20:04 PM »
Actually first derivative. I was re beating what the previous guy beat.
            ---Al McGuire

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2016, 08:45:01 PM »

Mr. Multiple?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2016, 09:30:03 PM »
Fabulous.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2016, 09:43:34 PM »

I thought that ended with I do...

Death on call

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2016, 09:54:45 PM »
Here is another 2016  big that Providence is pursuing. Maybe we should be talking to him as well.

https://pcbb1917.com/2016/05/02/2016-center-khalea-turner-visting-providence-ed-cooley-recruiting/
            ---Al McGuire

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2016, 10:35:37 PM »
Here is another 2016  big that Providence is pursuing. Maybe we should be talking to him as well.

https://pcbb1917.com/2016/05/02/2016-center-khalea-turner-visting-providence-ed-cooley-recruiting/

why? kostas is here.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2016, 07:48:10 AM »

why? kostas is here.

I am for talking to any players  6-8 or taller that can walk and chew gum at the same time.
            ---Al McGuire

1SE

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2016, 09:31:23 AM »

I said two more wins for a team that is a NIT 4 seed gets them into the dance.  As we missed the NIT probably would have been 3 or 4 more - but I don't want to beat the llama on that here.

More importantly is next year's squad.  I think we the squad we have now we should be NIT 4 seed or last four in.  I'm saying KY, even in a limited role, might make the difference in turning a L or W next years into a win.  He's not going to be a game changer, but might do enough in a game or two to make a difference.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

feedback