[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: So who's gonna draft Henry????  (Read 15090 times)

Boards

• Walk-On
Re: So who's gonna draft Henry????
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2016, 03:32:18 PM »
Yeah....but you have to live in Minnesota.'

I can say it! I lived there for 6 years!

You mean you GET to live in Minnesota. Grew up here and still live in St. Paul soon to move to Minneapolis. Loved my time at Marquette and Milwaukee will always have a special place in my heart but come on. Twin Cities > Milwaukee.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2016, 03:38:26 PM »
You mean you GET to live in Minnesota. Grew up here and still live in St. Paul soon to move to Minneapolis. Loved my time at Marquette and Milwaukee will always have a special place in my heart but come on. Twin Cities > Milwaukee.

I'm torn on that one. I lived in S. St. Paul and Burnsville 1987-1990. As a metro area I give an edge to the TC but I cannot leave out the weather factor. Other than more sunshine in the TC December-March the brutal cold in MN winters offsets the metro factor IMO. Summers are pretty much equal.

I might be mis-remembering but in early '88 wasn't like 45 straight days below freezing and 30 something of those below zero? I did like being able to drive to Afton Alps after working all day and getting some runs in during the week.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2016, 03:41:20 PM »

For real.

I'm torn on that one. I lived in S. St. Paul and Burnsville 1987-1990. As a metro area I give an edge to the TC but I cannot leave out the weather factor. Other than more sunshine in the TC December-March the brutal cold in MN winters offsets the metro factor IMO. Summers are pretty much equal.

I might be mis-remembering but in early '88 wasn't like 45 straight days below freezing and 30 something of those below zero? I did like being able to drive to Afton Alps after working all day and getting some runs in during the week.

The only four years I haven't lived in MN was at Marquette.  I actually think Milwaukee is just as cold as Minneapolis - you don't get those nasty winds in Mpls.  Plus the city is much cleaner, less crime, better and more jobs, less riff raff, more to do.  Its really just an all around better city, IMO. I love Milwaukee and it was a great place to go to college, but it doesn't hold a torch to MN.  Plus, you don't have to deal with unnatural carnal knowledgein' Sconnies everyday. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2016, 03:59:53 PM »

Ah the 651 disease. You're born with it and you die with it. I have been privileged enough to live in six different states and I can say without a shred of hesitation that Minnesota is the worst of them IMHO. And I lived in Michigan!

But please, before this causes a flame war, know this. I am some random guy on the internet. I am not trying to state this as a fact, it is just merely my opinion. I'm not going to get into argument about which city is better and trying to find subjective things that prove one city over the other. I lived there, it wasn't my cup of tea. Probably has something to do with the fact that I spent my high school years there and who doesn't hate high school?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2016, 04:11:15 PM »
Probably has something to do with the fact that I spent my high school years there and who doesn't hate high school?

Alot of people?

onepost

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2016, 04:15:13 PM »
Loved high school

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2016, 04:23:02 PM »
Minnesota people love to say it's a different kind of cold...yet they build more skywalks than any town this side of Edmonton.

I love when former Marquette students talk about Milwaukee...they think John Hawk's is the fancy restaurant and Wolski's is a grown up bar.

Does Minnesota have any spots that are not chains in the 'burbs.  Maybe St Paul does but the MPLS side seems like the only night life is a chain in Edina.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2016, 04:34:29 PM »
And what time do the bars close on weekends in Minneapolis?  Midnight?  C'mon, man!
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

brandx

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2016, 04:35:09 PM »
I mostly heard about his close personal friends when I listened to him on the radio; in person, he didn't talk like that (most of the time).

I miss his radio show. He'd be on with Tom Kelly -- I called it The Worst Hour On Radio -- and some guy would call in pledging his loyalty to the Twins. The caller would ask an innocuous question, Kelly would get pissed off, and Sid would call the caller stupid. It was hilarious. And I still do a pretty good imitation of Sid trying to get Rickey Foggie on the telephone for his show. "Rickey? Rickey, you there? Rickey?"

When I got to Minny, in 1985, I was a young kid determined to be the opposite of a homer. And Sid was the biggest homer of all time, so we got off to a bad start. But after a few years, I grew up enough to stop taking him seriously. I had my sarcasm on full-blast and loved making fun of him ... and he often was too dense to know he was being made fun of.

Make no mistake, at one time Sid was as connected as any newspaper sports person in the country. There was a several year stretch during which he simultaneously was the sports editor/columnist of the Tribune AND de-facto GM of the Minneapolis Lakers -- seriously. For decades, no Minnesota sports team did anything major without first getting Sid's opinion and/or blessing.

By the time I got there, things already had been changing for him. Mike Lynn knew how to play Sid but he sure as hell wasn't going through Sid, and the Twins had just hired Andy MacPhail -- who also certainly wasn't treating Sid like anything special.

Sid LOVED Holtz -- helped bring him to the school -- and he was sure the Notre Dame rumors weren't true. As I said in an earlier post, even the morning Holtz left, Sid was saying he thought Holtz would stay. That's when I knew Sid The Kingmaker was officially over. Sid kissed Holtz's ass for two years, never wrote or said a bad word about him. And yet Holtz lied to Sid for weeks about Notre Dame and, IIRC, the St. Paul paper actually ended up breaking the story while Sid was still saying Holtz was staying. Embarrassing for the paper; soul-crushing for Sid.

As the years went on, the athletes, coaches and GMs needed Sid less and less. You think Denny Green or Bob Gainey or Christian Laettner gave a rat's rump what Sid had to say?

But again, Sid puts in the hours. He's a dinosaur, yes, but an amazing one.

Excellent post.

Too often we have one-dimensional images of others when they are just as layered as we think we are.

we just remember them as they were at the end.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2016, 04:48:39 PM »
And what time do the bars close on weekends in Minneapolis?  Midnight?  C'mon, man!

I could live in either MN or Milwaukee.  Both are great options.  Similar in many ways.  It's like most any town, its what you make of it. 

I've replicated the RC recipe, so spose it means I can live anywhere!  I fish in Canada with some guys from Milwaukee.  The only reason they invite me is because of my RC recipe. 

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2016, 10:13:33 PM »
I could live in either MN or Milwaukee.  Both are great options.  Similar in many ways.  It's like most any town, its what you make of it. 

I've replicated the RC recipe, so spose it means I can live anywhere!  I fish in Canada with some guys from Milwaukee.  The only reason they invite me is because of my RC recipe.
Chili give yourself more credit you're a stand up guy. But yes, I bet the RC recipe helps  :D
Goal is National Championship

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2016, 11:08:04 PM »

I don't remember the exact year but I lived in Minny then and yes, we had 30+ days below zero. And then it finally got ALL THE WAY UP TO 20, and folks were running around in short sleeves!

After I moved to Chicago, I joked that it was because I wanted to go somewhere warm. It was a joke, but Chicago is MUCH warmer than Minny.

I liked the 9 1/2 years we spent in Minny. Both my kids were born there, my career took a huge leap there and some of my best friends still live there. But when people ask me if Minny really is as cold as people claim, I say, "Yes, but colder."

Of course, that was before Gore invented global warming (and after he invented the Internet), so maybe today's Minny is like Georgia was 20 years ago.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2016, 07:22:41 AM »
For real.

The only four years I haven't lived in MN was at Marquette.  I actually think Milwaukee is just as cold as Minneapolis - you don't get those nasty winds in Mpls.  Plus the city is much cleaner, less crime, better and more jobs, less riff raff, more to do.  Its really just an all around better city, IMO. I love Milwaukee and it was a great place to go to college, but it doesn't hold a torch to MN.  Plus, you don't have to deal with unnatural carnal knowledgein' Sconnies everyday. 

Milwaukee is a bit warmer in the winter because it stays cloudy so much and the lake helps it stay warmer, of course MKE is still too cold but it ain't MN cold!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2016, 07:33:24 AM »
Milwaukee is a bit warmer in the winter because it stays cloudy so much and the lake helps it stay warmer, of course MKE is still too cold but it ain't MN cold!

I agree with this. My brother lives in the Twin Cities.  He makes it sound definitely colder than Milwaukee.  Milwaukee is not Green Bay weather-wise either.  Milwaukee winter weather is much more like Connecticut.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2016, 09:27:52 AM »
The only thing Minnesota is missing is a pro football team
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2016, 09:29:40 AM »

Meh.  I've lived in both for extended periods.  Lived in Milwaukee for four years through 2012, Mpls the rest of my life. I actually think they're pretty similar, but then again, I am not terribly bothered by the cold.  The winds off the lake make what may be 5 or 10 degrees "warmer" feel colder, IMO.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2016, 09:30:05 AM »
Does Walter's MU tuition get worked into his rookie contract?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2016, 11:01:05 AM »
Ah the 651 disease. You're born with it and you die with it. I have been privileged enough to live in six different states and I can say without a shred of hesitation that Minnesota is the worst of them IMHO. And I lived in Michigan!

But please, before this causes a flame war, know this. I am some random guy on the internet. I am not trying to state this as a fact, it is just merely my opinion. I'm not going to get into argument about which city is better and trying to find subjective things that prove one city over the other. I lived there, it wasn't my cup of tea. Probably has something to do with the fact that I spent my high school years there and who doesn't hate high school?

You're certainly right that it's just opinion.  IMHO, a lot of it has to do with how you life was going more generally when you lived there (Did you enjoy your school/job?; Could you afford to live reasonably well and in a nice neighborhood?).

Like you, I have lived in six states (WI, IL, TN, PA, VA and MN).  Of the six, TN was my favorite, with MN a close second.  Maybe that's because I was in my 20s when I lived in Nashville, I loved law school, and my wife had a pretty decent job.  And maybe I like MN now because I live in a beautiful neighborhood and have a great job. Or maybe it's because TN and MN are pretty nice places. 

My least favorite was IL, by a wide margin.  Maybe that's because I hated my job, my wife hated hers, and we lived in a crappy neighborhood.  Or maybe it's because Chicago just isn't my kind of town (to live in).

Bottom line:  Only Henry knows what he thinks of the prospect of living in MN.  And it could range anywhere from a dream come true to a living he!!.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 11:03:17 AM by GooooMarquette »

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2016, 11:35:13 AM »
Does Walter's MU tuition get worked into his rookie contract?

And the best part is, it does not count against the cap.  Glenn Taylor has this.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2016, 12:11:03 PM »
https://www.currentresults.com/Weather-Extremes/US/coldest-cities-winter.php

Out of the 51 largest cities in United States, Minneapolis, Minnesota has the coldest winter weather, based on average daily temperatures. It's the only American city that normally remains well below freezing throughout the day during December, January and February.

The extreme winter weather at Minneapolis covers the entire metropolitan area, taking in the adjoining city of St. Paul, where the temperature is no warmer.

Milwaukee is 2nd on the list but has a 6 degree higher mean temp (19 vs. 25), Chicago is next at 26F

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2016, 12:13:57 PM »
https://www.currentresults.com/Weather-Extremes/US/coldest-cities-winter.php

Out of the 51 largest cities in United States, Minneapolis, Minnesota has the coldest winter weather, based on average daily temperatures. It's the only American city that normally remains well below freezing throughout the day during December, January and February.

The extreme winter weather at Minneapolis covers the entire metropolitan area, taking in the adjoining city of St. Paul, where the temperature is no warmer.

Milwaukee is 2nd on the list but has a 6 degree higher mean temp (19 vs. 25), Chicago is next at 26F

Just guessing...but I suspect Rice Lake falls closer to MPLS than MKE.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2016, 12:24:58 PM »
you thought this thread was still about HE?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 02:16:35 PM by Waldo Jeffers »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2016, 04:40:17 PM »
I have a very good friend that grew up in Austin, MN, did his college years at UM and then spent the first few years of his career in St. Cloud.  Moved to Chicago to get some warmth.  Then to Sarasota in retirement.  And while he still has a modest soft spot for his Vikings, he's now a full fledged Bucs fan.  No Wisconsin Packer fan would ever make such a transition, as least as it pertains to our beloved football team.  Therein lies one's true answer.   ;D

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2016, 11:11:36 PM »
Lived in Minny my whole life, save four years of college in Virginia.  My husband is a lifer as well, and we both agree that winters here now are not in any way as harsh as they were when we were kids (we're talking the 1960's here).  I can remember long stretches of time where the temp never got above 0, where the temp was actually -32 degrees (not just windchill), and where we occasionally DID walk 2 miles to school in 3-4 feet of snow.  Winter has mellowed considerably in the Twin Cities over the past 50+ years.  That's not to say it isn't still long, dreary and altogether too cold.  But it's a great place to raise kids with good old fashioned Midwestern values, and communities are very tight-knit and supportive.  Don't see myself calling anywhere else my "home base," although I wouldn't say no to spending Jan -March in Hawaii every year.

Henry would love it here. But the wolves are getting a new coach and GM, so who knows what direction they will go in June.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2016, 11:15:28 PM »
Don't see myself calling anywhere else my "home base," although I wouldn't say no to spending Jan -March in Hawaii every year.

Soon enough, you'll be able to have it both ways. A little more melting of the polar ice caps and Minny of tomorrow will be as warm as Hawaii of today!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson