Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Thanks to MU Scoop Moderators  (Read 16824 times)

real chili 83

• All American
Re: Thanks to MU Scoop Moderators
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2014, 04:43:36 PM »
Keefe, you got some pub in BCB today.

IlikecreansoIcantposthere

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2014, 04:48:05 PM »
In a somewhat ironic and funny stat....the MU Scoop thread on BrewCity Ball has more replies to it than any other recent topic on that board other than the DePaul game thread.

Funny, there is a guy over there ripping our Mod - Hilltopper - who made a few nice posts on that site - for "washing his hands of responsibility" over moderating this site more heavy handedly. 

Find it laughable that a poster there would take shots at the Mods here - who provide a GREAT forum for MU fans, charge nothing for it, and use their free time to keep the site up and running, moderate at certain points etc...and the poster doesn't have to nor doesn't post here - so why get worked up over MUScoop??

I'd say the moderation style here has been perfect - 1st amendment applies - its a free country, speech shouldn't be censored...so long as it isn't racially charged, hateful, discriminatory.  And, the posting activity and membership count here suggest that their decision on how to moderate this board has been the right one.

So, thanks Mods for providing a great platform, and allowing for free speech to prevail - from one of your more controversial posters.   ;D

Anyone who posts that the first amendment applies in an internet message board has no understanding of the first amendment.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2014, 05:00:11 PM »
Keefe, you got some pub in BCB today.

Religious intolerance? Hardly.

It is making light of the other guy's religious and cultural intolerance. If Brew 77 or whatever he goes by spent one second in the Sandbox he would know that "Pork Eating Crusader" is part of the hateful polemic used by the Taliban for Coalition Forces. I'm not surprised a simpleton wouldn't grasp the irony.

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2014, 05:15:25 PM »
Religious intolerance? Hardly.

It is making light of the other guy's religious and cultural intolerance. If Brew 77 or whatever he goes by spent one second in the Sandbox he would know that "Pork Eating Crusader" is part of the hateful polemic used by the Taliban for Coalition Forces. I'm not surprised a simpleton wouldn't grasp the irony.

As I have mentioned before, I've liked what Brew used to contribute. It's too bad he didn't reach out to you directly with his concern.   Usually a direct dialogue is the best resolution to differences in opinion.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2014, 05:30:43 PM »
As I have mentioned before, I've liked what Brew used to contribute. It's too bad he didn't reach out to you directly with his concern.   Usually a direct dialogue is the best resolution to differences in opinion.

Pork Eating Crusader is what the Taliban call us. They use this in their propaganda daily. It is intended to be a derisive slur against Western culture and values to engender animosity and violence against our troops, UN staff, and NGO aid workers.

Brew thinks it's insensitive? Tell him to take it up with the Taliban because they invented the term.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2014, 06:44:44 PM »
Obviously, Brew City 77 hangs with this crowd:

http://forums.islamicawakening.com/f18/pork-eating-crusader-40436/

I am sorry these people are offended by the patch. But read their comments for perspective.

Brew City 77 is a f#cking idiot.

Death on call

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2014, 09:47:59 PM »
Obviously, Brew City 77 hangs with this crowd:

http://forums.islamicawakening.com/f18/pork-eating-crusader-40436/

I am sorry these people are offended by the patch. But read their comments for perspective.

Brew City 77 is a f#cking idiot.

So because he finds something offensive, that you do not, he is a f*cking idiot?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2014, 09:58:32 PM »
So because he finds something offensive, that you do not, he is a f*cking idiot?

What is offensive is that the Taliban kill Moslem women and children who do not subscribe to their perverse brand of Islam. What is offensive are the Taliban who kill apolitical foreign aid workers who are only trying to help the people of Afghanistan. What is offensive are the Taliban who blow up UN facilities because they consider UN-sponsored education, health, economic, and agriculture programs to be impure.

Pork Eating Crusader is a term used by the Taliban for Coalition Forces and other western entities in the "Caliphate." It was not invented by Americans or Brits or Swiss or anyone from outside of the Taliban.

Look at the websites bitching about the patches - they are the same ones advocating random, violent death to western people and culture. Fact is, Brew City is using it as a red herring. He's a blow hard.

Death on call

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2014, 11:56:52 PM »
What is offensive is that the Taliban kill Moslem women and children who do not subscribe to their perverse brand of Islam. What is offensive are the Taliban who kill apolitical foreign aid workers who are only trying to help the people of Afghanistan. What is offensive are the Taliban who blow up UN facilities because they consider UN-sponsored education, health, economic, and agriculture programs to be impure.

Pork Eating Crusader is a term used by the Taliban for Coalition Forces and other western entities in the "Caliphate." It was not invented by Americans or Brits or Swiss or anyone from outside of the Taliban.

Look at the websites bitching about the patches - they are the same ones advocating random, violent death to western people and culture. Fact is, Brew City is using it as a red herring. He's a blow hard.

Don't explode on me. I just asked a question. I happen to agree with your position. But I can respect another man's opinion.
TAMU

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2014, 12:10:10 AM »
Don't explode on me. I just asked a question. I happen to agree with your position. But I can respect another man's opinion.

Not exploding, Aggie. Sorry if it came off that way. The only one's who are actually upset about those patches are the people who hate us. They don't like how we have coopted their anti-western slur and turned it into a joke.

We find humor where they only see hate. The fact that people who want to destroy us don't like it makes it all the better. 

Death on call

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2014, 12:18:12 AM »
Not exploding, Aggie. Sorry if it came off that way. The only one's who are actually upset about those patches are the people who hate us. They don't like how we have coopted their anti-western slur and turned it into a joke.

We find humor where they only see hate. The fact that people who want to destroy us don't like it makes it all the better. 

Meh, no worries. Tone is nearly impossible to convey on these things. It was my mistake...or the mods mistake for not finding a good way to express tone in posts. Yep, easier to blame it on them  ;D
TAMU

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2014, 12:40:43 AM »
Meh, no worries. Tone is nearly impossible to convey on these things. It was my mistake...or the mods mistake for not finding a good way to express tone in posts. Yep, easier to blame it on them  ;D

Well, as a Pork Eating Crusader, I find it difficult to be subtle. And if the Moderators ate more pork then they would run a better site.

Death on call

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2014, 04:52:02 AM »
Well, as a Pork Eating Crusader, I find it difficult to be subtle. And if the Moderators ate more pork then they would run a better site.

Jaybee is a big fan of the other white meat.   Don't know about pork though .

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2014, 07:13:21 AM »

I personally think the patch is hilarious.  It's the blank red eyes that make it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2014, 08:56:04 AM »

Someone can find the patch offensive no matter the backstory and no matter what the Taliban do in the name of their brand of Islam.

This is very similar to the use of the "n-word" by African Americans as a way to "own" the insult.  Many African Americans think it is fine...others are offended.  So I can see why Muslim-Americans would be offended by such a patch as representative of their armed forces.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2014, 12:53:59 PM »
so MU won't be changing from Golden Eagles to Pork Eating Crusaders?

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2014, 01:08:41 PM »

I liked it when I thought it was your idea keefe.  Like it better now that I know the backstory.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2014, 02:02:09 PM »
WTF, this place is moderated?  When did that start?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2014, 02:03:27 PM »
And we can say unnatural carnal knowledge and hairy wet cats.

aina  When did this become kosher again?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 02:05:17 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2014, 02:14:56 PM »

Someone can find the patch offensive no matter the backstory and no matter what the Taliban do in the name of their brand of Islam.

This is very similar to the use of the "n-word" by African Americans as a way to "own" the insult.  Many African Americans think it is fine...others are offended.  So I can see why Muslim-Americans would be offended by such a patch as representative of their armed forces.

If people are offended by the patch I wonder how they feel about how the Taliban go about their business everyday?

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/Video/Taliban-Beheading.wmv

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/Video/Taliban-Burn-Alive.wmv

http://www.jihadwatch.org/

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2014, 02:21:36 PM »

If people are offended by the patch I wonder how they feel about how the Taliban go about their business everyday?

Your patch is not offensive, knowing the background.

Understandably, if someone did not know the true meaning and history of the patch, one could mis-interpret the meaning of the patch.

Morale of the story....don't criticize something or make assumptions until you have all the facts.

Anyone ever try making Real Chili with ground pork?  Bet it is damn good!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2014, 02:29:13 PM »
Your patch is not offensive, knowing the background.

Understandably, if someone did not know the true meaning and history of the patch, one could mis-interpret the meaning of the patch.

Morale of the story....don't criticize something or make assumptions until you have all the facts.

Anyone ever try making Real Chili with ground pork?  Bet it is damn good!

As a Pork Eating Crusader I will confirm that proper chili must include ground pork. I like Real Chili but having roots in Santa Fe will admit to preferring mine green.

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2014, 02:33:57 PM »

Again, I am not sure why you are connecting the two.  It is perfectly reasonable for people to be offended by  "how the Taliban go about their business," as well as the patch.

And to be clear, I am not offended.  But I can see why others might be.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2014, 02:41:49 PM »

Again, I am not sure why you are connecting the two.  It is perfectly reasonable for people to be offended by  "how the Taliban go about their business," as well as the patch.

And to be clear, I am not offended.  But I can see why others might be.

Ok, I'll bite. What, exactly, is offensive about the patch?

Death on call

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2014, 02:49:50 PM »
So let me see if I am getting this.  The Taliban call us (Westerners) "pork-eating crusaders" in an attempt to disparage us.  We, in turn, take this nickname and adopt it with pride, brandishing it on the sleeves of our military.

Who is offended?  Non-pork-eating members of the US military?

feedback