Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The new Big East is garbage  (Read 9158 times)

bilsu

• All American
Re: The new Big East is garbage
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2014, 06:20:26 PM »
-georgetown and marquette stink
-the games in nyc are often non-HD and hard to locate
-television ratings are poor
-the announcers and in-studio personalities are third-rate

marquette has a nice recruiting class coming in. however, make no mistake, this slide in competition and exposure will negatively affect recruiting going forward.
There is no evidence that it is negatively effecting our recruiting.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2014, 06:30:35 PM »
Yeah, I really wish we were in the American Athletic Conference.
If MU did, would be on ESPNU and ESPN News with the same ratings FS1 is getting.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2014, 07:19:50 PM »
The NBE isn't garbage.   But compared to the OBE, it's very second rate.  Having a sub-mediocre seasons is really salt in the wound.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2014, 07:21:39 PM »
There is no evidence that it is negatively effecting our recruiting.

Actually, recruiting is down slightly using RSCI rankings:

2013:
#30 JuJuan Johnson
#54 Deonte Burton
#59 Duane Wilson
#3 JUCO Jameel McKay
unr John Dawson

Keep in mind that all these players verballed before the league split was annouced.

2014:
#64 Ahmed Hill
#71 (2013) Luke Fischer
#82 Sandy Cohen
#97 Malek Harris
unr Marial Shayok
unr Satchel Pierce

Now, this data may not be conclusive. And I'm not going to argue there aren't other possible reasons for a decline, or that one year isn't enough data. But it does represent evidence that recruiting has taken a slight dip, making any statement that "There is no evidence" of negative impact incorrect, at least as of this point.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2014, 07:27:40 PM »

2013:
#30 JuJuan Johnson
#54 Deonte Burton
#59 Duane Wilson
#3 JUCO Jameel McKay
unr John Dawson

Keep in mind that all these players verballed before the league split was annouced.

2014:
#64 Ahmed Hill
#71 (2013) Luke Fischer
#82 Sandy Cohen
#97 Malek Harris
unr Marial Shayok
unr Satchel Pierce

Now, this data may not be conclusive. And I'm not going to argue there aren't other possible reasons for a decline, or that one year isn't enough data. But it does represent evidence that recruiting has taken a slight dip, making any statement that "There is no evidence" of negative impact incorrect, at least as of this point.

Our numbers are slightly down but the rest of the Big East is up.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2014, 11:07:29 PM »

marquette has a nice recruiting class coming in. however, make no mistake, this slide in competition and exposure will negatively affect recruiting going forward.

The new ACC is garbage

- UNC is not ranked and Duke is barely ranked at 23
- the games in Chicago are often not televised
- the television ratings are poor compared to last year
- the announcers are third rate as FS1 hired away the good ones

make no mistake, this slide in competition and exposure will negatively affect recruiting going forward.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2014, 11:11:43 PM »

The new AAC is garbage

- no teams ranked in the top 15
- no games to be found on TV in Chicago
- television ratings are poor
- the announcers and in studio personalities are third-rate

make no mistake, this slide in competition and exposure will negatively affect recruiting going forward.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2014, 11:59:10 PM »
Thank you Heisenberg. But I would make one addition to your post about the AAC

Our football schools are getting paid less than basketball only schools in the Big East
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2014, 12:07:31 AM »
I live out of state and have seen every game. One was on standard def because FS2 has no HD on my package. If my local cable company didn't offer FS1 I would switch to Direct TV immediately.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2014, 07:01:10 AM »

2013:
#30 JuJuan Johnson
#54 Deonte Burton
#59 Duane Wilson
#3 JUCO Jameel McKay
unr John Dawson

2014:
#64 Ahmed Hill
#71 (2013) Luke Fischer
#82 Sandy Cohen
#97 Malek Harris
unr Marial Shayok
unr Satchel Pierce

Hysterical - absolutely hysterical!! - that you think this is "evidence" that our recruiting has taken a dip since the NBE was formed. The fact that we were able to reel in the 2014 class immediately following the 2013 class you reference is moreso evidence of the EXACT OPPOSITE of the premise you claim! Thanks for being you, Equalizer. High comedy!

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2014, 07:25:35 AM »
Hysterical - absolutely hysterical!! - that you think this is "evidence" that our recruiting has taken a dip since the NBE was formed. The fact that we were able to reel in the 2014 class immediately following the 2013 class you reference is moreso evidence of the EXACT OPPOSITE of the premise you claim! Thanks for being you, Equalizer. High comedy

What's hysterical is that you obviously don't understand numbers.

While this may come as a surprise to you, when it comes to player rankings, 30, 54, and 59 are all BETTER than 64, 71, 82, and 97. 

As I said, its not conclusive nor was it the only possible evidence.  But it does refute the claim that there is NO evidence that recruiting hast been impcated.  This simple fact is apparently beyond your mental capacity.

This years class--while nice--is not as strong as last year.  Thats not arguable in fact.  It proves EXACTLY what I said it proves.  There is evidence that our recruiting is down. The best player in the 2014 class would be the 5th best behind four of our 2013 recruits. 

Time will tell whether our recruiting stays down or recovers to where it was in 2013.   But this year, we're down.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2014, 07:26:45 AM »
I still watch every minute of our games, but admit I watch about none of the other Big East games, unlike in years past.  I think that is a result of our poor play more than anything else.  

I don't know what this means, but I always DVR our games and over the past few years rewatched the BE and big non-con games one more time, usually a day later with a more critical eye on what we were doing (fast forwarding through timeouts and FTs you can re-watch in about an hour), and I have not done that once this year.  I just delete them.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Dreadman24

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2014, 07:37:45 AM »
Marquette is garbage this year.  Georgetown is mediocre. The fact that Creighton can come into this conference and dominate speaks volumes about this conference. Its not good.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2014, 07:45:17 AM »
The NBE isn't garbage.   But compared to the OBE, it's very second rate.  Having a sub-mediocre seasons is really salt in the wound.
Where would the ACC be if it wasn't for Syracuse & Pitt, in terms of ranked team. Pitt, might not even be ranked later today.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2014, 07:49:05 AM »
Marquette is garbage this year.  Georgetown is mediocre. The fact that Creighton can come into this conference and dominate speaks volumes about this conference. Its not good.
The book is open on Creighton coming in and dominate the league. They lost at PC and are at Villanova (6pm FS1) tonight. Still have to play at MU, G'town, Xavier, etc.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2014, 08:09:25 AM »
The use of the word "garbage" in the OP invalidates everything the poster says.

It's a good basketball league. It's not great, it's better than mediocre.

One thing it isn't is "garbage."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2014, 08:16:06 AM »
Then why not say something like, Creighton has been extremely good, the Xavier/Creighton game was an excellent game and Providence was able to come out and dominate Creighton at Providence.

There are great games and great teams in the Big East, although a down year for MU, the BE is solid.

See how that post contains the same information in general but does not take unnecessary shots at the team.
Thank you for the lecture forgotten one.If you could  understand that reading is fundamental, my comment defended the league and you would have understood that. The rest of the comment about our lam games is factual. We have played terrible in conference thus far. There is a lecture right back to you.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2014, 08:46:13 AM »

While this may come as a surprise to you, when it comes to player rankings, 30, 54, and 59 are all BETTER than 64, 71, 82, and 97. 

As I said, its not conclusive nor was it the only possible evidence.  But it does refute the claim that there is NO evidence that recruiting hast been impcated.  This simple fact is apparently beyond your mental capacity.

This years class--while nice--is not as strong as last year.  Thats not arguable in fact.  It proves EXACTLY what I said it proves.  There is evidence that our recruiting is down. The best player in the 2014 class would be the 5th best behind four of our 2013 recruits. 

Time will tell whether our recruiting stays down or recovers to where it was in 2013.   But this year, we're down.

The fact that you completely ignore the context of the previous year's class when discussing the 2014 recruiting class is the laughable part. Like pulling a class with the NUMBERS you site immediately following the 2013 class with the NUMBERS you site isn't evidence of the exact opposite.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2014, 08:49:38 AM »

What does Luke Fischer's willingness to come to the new Big East prove?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2014, 09:28:35 AM »

2013:
#30 JuJuan Johnson
#54 Deonte Burton
#59 Duane Wilson
#3 JUCO Jameel McKay
unr John Dawson

2014:
#64 Ahmed Hill
#71 (2013) Luke Fischer
#82 Sandy Cohen
#97 Malek Harris
unr Marial Shayok
unr Satchel Pierce

So, essentially your data point for determining whether the NBE is hurting recruiting is how next year's class stacks up against the best (at least by ranking) MU recruiting class in decades?
That seems completely fair and reasonable. And totally not the work of someone with an obvious agenda.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2014, 09:32:03 AM »
So, essentially your data point for determining whether the NBE is hurting recruiting is how next year's class stacks up against the best (at least by ranking) MU recruiting class in decades?
That seems completely fair and reasonable. And totally not the work of someone with an obvious agenda.

+1

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2014, 10:06:24 AM »
All but 3 games this season are carried on a network that airs nationally (CBSS, FS1, FS2, ESPN's).  Those 3 were aired locally in WI on Fox Sports Wisconsin.  With an upgrade to your cable package you can buy all of the RSN's (all the FSN's the CSN's etc).

I have seen every single MU game in HD this year.  I'll admit I have the top tier sports package, but I'm a big sports fan.

I also find a BE game on FS1, FS2 or CBSS nearly every night.  All in HD.

I don't get the fuss on distribution.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2014, 10:15:05 AM »
All but 3 games this season are carried on a network that airs nationally (CBSS, FS1, FS2, ESPN's).  Those 3 were aired locally in WI on Fox Sports Wisconsin.  With an upgrade to your cable package you can buy all of the RSN's (all the FSN's the CSN's etc).

I have seen every single MU game in HD this year.  I'll admit I have the top tier sports package, but I'm a big sports fan.

I also find a BE game on FS1, FS2 or CBSS nearly every night.  All in HD.

I don't get the fuss on distribution.

Exactly. Cheap asses just bit*hin to b*tch. Again, pay up or shut up.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2014, 10:27:14 AM »
What does Luke Fischer's willingness to come to the new Big East prove?

That he's a typical Marquette big?

/Sorry, I couldn't resist.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 11:03:38 AM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2014, 10:57:20 AM »

1.  I didn't say conclusively NBE was hurting recruiting.  I said there was some evidence of it.  Somehow, twice now, you missed the point where I said it wasn't conclusive or that there may not be other reasons.

2.  As you well know, the "class" rank is derived as much (if not more) from the number of recruits in a class versus the individul quality of each recruit.  I suspect that you shifted this argument from quality to quantity because that better fits your agenda.  No matter what you claim about "class rank", the fact remains that none of our 2014 recruits comes close to matcing the individual #3 JUCO McKay or #30 HS Johnson, and they all fall behind both Burton and Wilson as well.  

3.  Your comments about the "best class in decades" aside, in most years we manage to land either a top 50 HS recruit recruit (Blue, Cadougan, Jamil Wilson, JaJuan Johonson) a JUCO AA (Crowder, McKay, DJO, Buycks, Taylory, Butler) or in some years multiple. We have no such players this year, for only the 2nd time since Buzz has been here.  

Coulple that with the observation that Buzz has never been in a stronger recruiting position (coming off an Elite Eight, solid long term contract, won the battle with the AD, no more uncertainty over conference afffiliation, etc).

Once again, i'm not saying this is conclusive yet and that time will tell (so stop try to twist that into my argument).  What I am saying is that there is some evidence that we're down this year, and if this trend continues it COULD be a reflection that the NBE is hurting recruiting.  

feedback