Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marial Shayok  (Read 16776 times)

brandx

Re: Marial Shayok
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2014, 05:26:34 PM »
Is it possible that JJJ would more than compensate for any defensive shortcomings by his athleticism and offensive capabilities?  If so, it would be a net gain for MU.

I think they will - but I don't think we can say yet that he won't be a good defensive player. I think he was a typical freshman in that regard. these guys are stars in HS, so they play a lot of zone to keep them out of foul trouble and on the floor.

I think he has the athleticism to be a good defensive player.

brandx

« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2014, 05:32:40 PM »
It's called accounting for known factors and making an educated guess. I never said he will because I don't have "scoop." You do realize that's pretty much the essence of this message board, right? We're all operating on imperfect information, but that doesn't mean we can't make assertions or statements based on what we do know. And then, you get to judge those based on the argument laid out and what you know. It's called an argument. Look it up.

Didn't mean to pick on you. Tranfer talk is one of my pet peeves cuz none of us are privy to the any player's thinking on this. Will someone transfer? Probably - based on past history. But none of us really have any insight on who it would be.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2014, 06:09:42 PM »
Is it possible that JJJ would more than compensate for any defensive shortcomings by his athleticism and offensive capabilities?  If so, it would be a net gain for MU.

Sure, it's possible. But Buzz has set the precedent that, at least right now, that's not how he operates the team.

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2014, 07:05:32 PM »
It just amazes me on this board how every recruit needs to be "The Star" from day one or he is completely useless to the team. Forget growth and development, especially if it takes a few years to see. Juan is a nice role player on this team. Does some nice things when he is in. Then there is the off the court work which earns him a start once in a while. Good for the team imho.
No doubt......go review Cam Bairstow from New Mexico for a nice college growth curve, saw him at LV game and the Lobo fans by us couldn't stop talking about his progression

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/51163/cameron-bairstow
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2014, 08:34:43 PM »
What you seem to continue to fail to understand is that it is really hard to "show something" in 3 minutes of action...which are the typical stints given to JJJ and Dawson...  It's like you guys who unequivocally support the starting backcourt expect the freshman to come into the game and immediately score, make assists, steals, etc., within 3 minutes - and if they don't then they aren't doing anything to deserve more playing time...yet your guys have many, many, LONG stints of "showing nothing," and you try to justify how/why they are earning their time...when there is so little data to suggest they should continue to be max minute players.  That's the frustration point for me/others who have an opposing viewpoint - so quick to jump and judge the freshman on such limited time/sample size...yet so willing to support the vets who have a huge sample size of not doing a whole lot...
What you continue to fail to understand is that they are playing extended minutes in practice. Buzz can see what they can or cannot do there.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 09:36:47 PM by bilsu »

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2014, 10:33:59 PM »
Ners I'm sorry but Dawson had his BIG opportunity when Derrick picked up 2 quick fouls in the SH game a couple weeks ago.  He goes in at something like the 12 minute mark in the first half knowing that the rest of the half is his if he rises to the occasion.  And what does he do.  Looks completely over matched.  Picks up 3 fouls by a bunch of reaching and to top it off dribbles the ball out of bounds on a simple between the legs dribble.  He effectively forces Buzz to take him out.  And this is against SH. 
That is when a talent that is ready but not getting the playing time he deserves seizes the opportunity.  But he didn't because he is not ready.
It takes a unique talent to come in and play significant minutes at PG as a freshman.  Dominic James was a unique talent so was Diener.  Dawson is not a unique talent.  And playing him more is not going to make him a unique talent.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2014, 10:45:42 PM »
Ners I'm sorry but Dawson had his BIG opportunity when Derrick picked up 2 quick fouls in the SH game a couple weeks ago.  He goes in at something like the 12 minute mark in the first half knowing that the rest of the half is his if he rises to the occasion.  And what does he do.  Looks completely over matched.  Picks up 3 fouls by a bunch of reaching and to top it off dribbles the ball out of bounds on a simple between the legs dribble.  He effectively forces Buzz to take him out.  And this is against SH. 
That is when a talent that is ready but not getting the playing time he deserves seizes the opportunity.  But he didn't because he is not ready.
It takes a unique talent to come in and play significant minutes at PG as a freshman.  Dominic James was a unique talent so was Diener.  Dawson is not a unique talent.  And playing him more is not going to make him a unique talent.

What I'd ask you to consider in counter to your point:  Can you point to another game where Dawson looked that bad?  Did he look remotely close to that bad against Xavier, Georgetown on the road?  What about against DePaul on the road?  He laid an egg against Seton Hall at home...I don't deny it was an awful stretch of playing time for Dawson, but...it was an outlier...time will prove it out...the kid has a lot of talent...and is going to be a player..

How many games of watching Derrick not being defended within 6' by teams that have scouted us well do you have to watch, before realizing...it doesn't take a whole lot to be an upgrade?  When you consider, we actually grew our lead by 1 point in that 13 minute stretch of playing time Dawson got against Seton Hall...and as terrible as he was...and that our elite defender (Derrick was the bench the whole time), does that not make you think twice about "Wow...as horrific as Dawson was, the team was still able to build on the lead it had when he entered the game."  I wonder why?  Maybe because the floor was spaced so much better, and our offense could operate more effectively.  Maybe we were able to slash better from the wing.  More easily able to get Davante the ball in the post for either a bucket or FTs...

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2014, 11:24:26 PM »
You and I must have been watching different games.  Just to make sure we're on the same page the SH game I was referring to was a road game, we had a lead early in the first half (when Jamil was going off).  Then during the second part of the first half (after Derrick had to sit with 2 fouls) SH built their lead to 6 to end the half.  That was when Dawson was playing.
As for your other question what has he looked like otherwise he hasn't played much recently.  He played a couple of spot minutes against X and didn't look good in that game either. (yes I know you're going to say he only got in for a couple minutes).
I've seen enough Point Guards at MU to know he's not the savior.  Could he be better than Derrick is right now when he is a junior.  I hope so.  That would make him an adequate back-up.  He still doesn't drive and dish which is what this team needs to make use of our advantage in the front court.  He shoots 30% from 3 which while better than derrick but doesn't make him a 3 point marksman. 
Right now MU has a 3 guard line up that is working better than any of the other screwed up line ups we've had this year and I'd be inclined to ride that one out and hope either we get some new talent at PG or someone makes a huge improvement over the summer. 

brandx

« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2014, 11:51:04 PM »
And another thread goes down the DW tube. I'm positive by now that if someone started a thread about the weather - it would become just another p*ssing contest over Derrick.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2014, 02:54:56 AM »
And another thread goes down the DW tube. I'm positive by now that if someone started a thread about the weather - it would become just another p*ssing contest over Derrick.

Yep
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.