[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU and Warriors, A Unique "Brand" In The History Of Sports?  (Read 6824 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
MU and Warriors, A Unique "Brand" In The History Of Sports?
« on: February 04, 2012, 07:02:21 PM »
At the end of the game CBS play-by-play announcer Kevin Harlan repeated the final score and said " ... and the Marquette Warriors 59.  Sorry, the Marquette Golden Eagles, 59."

This got me thinking ...

It's been 19 years since MU changed its name to Golden Eagles.  Yet the Warrior "brand" is so identified with MU that to this day, people still mistakenly call us Warriors.  As we all know, Harlen's mistaken is hardly unique.

Is their any other "brand" in sports that is so strong that it lives on (or could live on) 19 years after it was replaced?  All I could think of is people calling the Raiders, "The Oakland Raiders" more than a decade after they left for LA.  The Raider brand is so tied up with Oakland it was hard to separate the two, just like MU and Warriors.

No one mistakenly called Stanford the "Indians" 19 years after they became the first school to be politically correct and changed to Cardinal in 1970.  Ditto the Washington Wizards.  Does anyone make the mistake of calling them the Bullets?  19 years after the Colts left Baltimore did anyone mistakenly call them the "Baltimore Colts?"  When North Dakota changes from Fighting Sioux, will they still be mistakenly called the "Fighting Sioux" 19 years later?  My bet is no.

What I'm trying to say is how remarkable it is that 19 years later we are still mistakenly called "Warriors."  It might be unique in all of sports.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 07:25:26 PM by AnotherMU84 »

GGGG

• All American
Re: MU and Warriors, A Unique "Brand" In The History Of Sports?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 07:06:46 PM »
Yes...and I think MU has tacitly allowed this because I don't think they use "Golden Eagles" or the bird logo in any way associated with Marquette men's basketball.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 07:22:04 PM »
All I could think of is people calling the Raiders, "The Oakland Raiders" decades after they left for LA.  The Raider brand is so tied up with Oakland it was hard to separate the two, just like MU and Warriors.

Just to nit-pick, you do know there were only in LA for 12 years, and have since moved back to Oakland, right?  Not quite decades of the wrong city...

Oakland Raiders (1960–1981)
    Los Angeles Raiders (1982–1994)
    Oakland Raiders (1995–present)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 07:24:32 PM »
Just to nit-pick, you do know there were only in LA for 12 years, and have since moved back to Oakland, right?  Not quite decades of the wrong city...

Oakland Raiders (1960–1981)
    Los Angeles Raiders (1982–1994)
    Oakland Raiders (1995–present)

Yes and in those 12 years announcers repeatedly called them "the Oakland Raiders."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 07:30:35 PM »
But I think that was simply a mistake.  Announcers are intentionally calling MU the Warriors.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 07:36:51 PM »
Harlan's dad was a MU alum.  He grew up in Green Bay during the '60's/70's.  I would guess a fan of MU and Al during those years.  He knew them as "Warriors".  Likely a slip of the tongue that was etched in memory. 

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 07:40:17 PM »
And a few times during the game I heard, "Lets go Warriors". Until all of the class of 1994 and before dies, you will likely hear that at games. Its instinctive. Kinda like shouting "Freebird" at a concert.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 07:42:23 PM by Knight Commission »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 08:04:20 PM »
At the end of the game CBS play-by-play announcer Kevin Harlan repeated the final score and said " ... and the Marquette Warriors 59.  Sorry, the Marquette Golden Eagles, 59."

This got me thinking ...

It's been 19 years since MU changed its name to Golden Eagles.  Yet the Warrior "brand" is so identified with MU that to this day, people still mistakenly call us Warriors.  As we all know, Harlen's mistaken is hardly unique.

Is their any other "brand" in sports that is so strong that it lives on (or could live on) 19 years after it was replaced?  All I could think of is people calling the Raiders, "The Oakland Raiders" more than a decade after they left for LA.  The Raider brand is so tied up with Oakland it was hard to separate the two, just like MU and Warriors.

No one mistakenly called Stanford the "Indians" 19 years after they became the first school to be politically correct and changed to Cardinal in 1970.  Ditto the Washington Wizards.  Does anyone make the mistake of calling them the Bullets?  19 years after the Colts left Baltimore did anyone mistakenly call them the "Baltimore Colts?"  When North Dakota changes from Fighting Sioux, will they still be mistakenly called the "Fighting Sioux" 19 years later?  My bet is no.

What I'm trying to say is how remarkable it is that 19 years later we are still mistakenly called "Warriors."  It might be unique in all of sports.

Thoughts?

I think UND will keep the Sioux much like we keep Warriors alive.

NCAARules

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 08:43:07 PM »
Harlan's dad was a MU alum.  He grew up in Green Bay during the '60's/70's.  I would guess a fan of MU and Al during those years.  He knew them as "Warriors".  Likely a slip of the tongue that was etched in memory. 

Bob Harlan wasn't just an alumnus. He was also Marquette's Sports Information Director for a while.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 08:46:55 PM »
It hasn't been 19 years.  It's been slightly less than 18. 
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 08:48:03 PM »
All the more reason to rightfully restore the Warriors nickname.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 08:53:16 PM »
In 1996 Bob Dole said that Hideo Nomo had thrown a no-hitter for the Brooklyn Dodgers the night before. That was ~40 years after the Dodgers moved to LA. Does that count?  ;)

MUrugger

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 09:16:38 PM »
I was thinking of launching a post, "How much did Harlan make tonight?" but it fits here.

Assuming the keen investigative capabilities of this board will lead to the truth, or at least some plausible facsimile thereof, I'm wondering if the sly Mr. Harlan banked a little something on the side today.

We know that silent and not-so-silent Trustees pledged millions to the school if we would return to the proud Warrior name.  Not to really kick-start that polarizing discussion, I think we all understand that there is and will always be some serious money behind that sentiment. 

So let's say a guy who knows a guy says to Harlan,  "I got a guy who thinks it's worth $20,000 (or whutevuh) today if you manage to flub/reference the name 'Warriors' at least 3x during today's broadcast."  I think Kevin just earned himself a nice payday.  No foul.  CSI couldn't prove it.

And no charge for free thoughts on creating alternative revenue streams to the industrious broadcasting entrepreneur. ;) 

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 09:34:59 PM »
Maybe a new car ...   ;)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 09:45:42 PM »
The Warrior name will never officially come back.  The Warrior name will never unofficially leave.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 09:47:19 PM »
In 1996 Bob Dole said that Hideo Nomo had thrown a no-hitter for the Brooklyn Dodgers the night before. That was ~40 years after the Dodgers moved to LA. Does that count?  ;)

Nothing Bob Dole does counts.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 09:48:54 PM »
The Warrior name will never officially come back.  The Warrior name will never unofficially leave.

+1  So let's become the Georgia Tech of the Midwest, then!

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2012, 09:24:21 AM »
I was thinking of launching a post, "How much did Harlan make tonight?" but it fits here.

Interesting theory, it keeps the name "alive" and no criminal wrongdoing.  Maybe we should start a non-profit just to keep this going :)

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2012, 10:31:16 AM »
Marquette Warriors is as strong a brand as UCLA Bruins, Indiana Hoosiers or North Carolina Tar Heels, to name a few.

It remains a tragic mistake on the part of our university and should've been corrected years ago.

romey

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2012, 10:40:11 AM »
I know this may be off topic, but how about the Tampa Bay baseball team?  They are no longer the "Devil" Rays, but just the Rays.  What?  really? Perhaps we should stop calling the animal they are named after a devil ray.  Political correctness gone mad.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2012, 11:07:53 AM »
I don't recall the "Devil" part of the Rays being dropped for religious reasons.  I simply think they wanted a fresh start and shortened the name by which the fans usually referred to them..."Rays."

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2012, 11:27:41 AM »
I don't recall the "Devil" part of the Rays being dropped for religious reasons.  I simply think they wanted a fresh start and shortened the name by which the fans usually referred to them..."Rays."

Correct, they changed to the name with new ownership as part of a fresh start.  That was only a few years ago.  Let's see if in 2023 people still refer to them as Devil Rays.

Real Chilly Podcast

• Starter
  • whassup marquette whassuuup?
    • Real Chilly Podcast
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2012, 11:37:33 AM »
it's embarrassing to even mention the Warriors and the Devil Rays in the same sentence

to compare an expansion team to a team with decades of history is apples to oranges.

I think UND is the better comparison... of course they will be perpetually known as the Fighting Sioux
Listen to the Real Chilly Podcast on SoundCloud, iTunes, or Youtube.

Follow our twitter: @RealChillyPod

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2012, 11:49:34 AM »
Couldn't someone start an unofficial clothing line featuring warrior apparel.  A sort of guerrilla marketing campaign.  If you got the students an fans to buy in and only wear the unofficial clothing line I would think that eventually the university and (nike) makes sure that we switch back to the warriors officially.

THEultimateWARRIOR

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2012, 12:01:38 PM »
As a North Dakota fan I believe they will always be referred to as the Fighting Sioux. Just like the Warriors will always be Warriors!