[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: John Dawson  (Read 91935 times)

Eldon

• All American
Re: John Dawson
« Reply #250 on: November 30, 2014, 04:05:05 PM »
So you've had 4 minutes of comfort this year?
Should have used past tense. I meant last year

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #251 on: November 30, 2014, 04:16:01 PM »
So you've had 4 minutes of comfort this year?

Lol and that 4 minutes was in 30 second increments.....

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #252 on: November 30, 2014, 04:37:11 PM »
Yumbo!!!!

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #253 on: November 30, 2014, 05:02:28 PM »
When De Wil is on the court, and especially when he has the ball in his hands, I feel a sense of unease (in me). When Dawson is on the court/running point, I feel a sense of relative comfort; my uneasiness goes away.

Still?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #254 on: November 30, 2014, 05:32:25 PM »
When De Wil is on the court, and especially when he has the ball in his hands, I feel a sense of unease (in me). When Dawson is on the court/running point, I feel a sense of relative comfort; my uneasiness goes away.

Well, Derrick played a very good game today, offensively and defensively. It was wonderful to see and it makes us such a better team. Doesn't hurt when Duane steps in a drills 3's!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #255 on: November 30, 2014, 05:46:41 PM »
I'd imagine the families of all players have been encouraged to both avoid these boards all together, or if unable to avoid them - to not post here.  Wouldn't know if Mr. Dawson was asked by anyone in Athletic Department to stop posting on the forums - but I can see why/where it would be discouraged. 

Probably a good idea because of people like you that trash the players on just about a non stop basis. 

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #256 on: November 30, 2014, 05:53:15 PM »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #257 on: November 30, 2014, 06:06:22 PM »
Burger King was running a 70's version of a commercial for an old sandwich called the Yumbo.  Ham and cheese. The commercial was Mod Squad-esque.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #258 on: November 30, 2014, 06:42:33 PM »
Probably a good idea because of people like you that trash the players on just about a non stop basis. 
Yes NERS is a cancer.
Goal is National Championship

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #259 on: November 30, 2014, 06:54:32 PM »
Yes NERS is a cancer.

Do you really think a kid like Derrick is so thin skinned that what gets written here hurts his feelings?  I know we have a number of thin skinned posters here, but newsflash:  Not everyone is hypersensitive and thin skinned - that's why comments like yours and some of the others made toward me recently don't bother me.  

Doesn't help a kid develop any toughness/character if people constantly BS the kid...telling him he's better than he is, etc.  This whole culture of everyone gets a ribbon, nobody fails, positive reinforcement society we seem to be devolving into doesn't do kids any good.  Derrick needed to be a lot better than he was last year.  Calling it as it is isn't trashing someone.  It's performance based.  Derrick and any other winner will take criticism constructively, use it for motivation, and improve.  Derrick appears to be on the right track.  He's certainly not ideal, but if he can play the way he did today - he deserves to be on the floor for 25-30 minutes.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #260 on: November 30, 2014, 07:02:00 PM »
everyone gets a ribbon

Trust me, I hate that mentality too, but you've gone waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond it.  I'm glad you agree he played well today, and you both should probably be glad that someone gave you a chance even if you've f'ed up a bit.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #261 on: November 30, 2014, 07:10:46 PM »
Ya, no crap Ners.  Just drop the Dawson - Derrick crap.  IT REALLY GETS OLD.

Thanks for the auto-correct Rocky.  ;)

« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 07:12:35 PM by real chili 83 »

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #262 on: November 30, 2014, 07:15:57 PM »
Do you really think a kid like Derrick is so thin skinned that what gets written here hurts his feelings?  I know we have a number of thin skinned posters here, but newsflash:  Not everyone is hypersensitive and thin skinned - that's why comments like yours and some of the others made toward me recently don't bother me.  

Doesn't help a kid develop any toughness/character if people constantly BS the kid...telling him he's better than he is, etc.  This whole culture of everyone gets a ribbon, nobody fails, positive reinforcement society we seem to be devolving into doesn't do kids any good.  Derrick needed to be a lot better than he was last year.  Calling it as it is isn't trashing someone.  It's performance based.  Derrick and any other winner will take criticism constructively, use it for motivation, and improve.  Derrick appears to be on the right track.  He's certainly not ideal, but if he can play the way he did today - he deserves to be on the floor for 25-30 minutes.
You do not understand it has nothing to do with that. Is your constant hate.
Goal is National Championship

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #263 on: November 30, 2014, 07:39:52 PM »
Burger King was running a 70's version of a commercial for an old sandwich called the Yumbo.  Ham and cheese. The commercial was Mod Squad-esque.

I must zoned at commerical time-  key boarding!

reinko

• All American
« Reply #264 on: November 30, 2014, 07:43:50 PM »
Didn't a certain poster,  repeatedly rip a certain ex coach for for saying "constructive"  things about players to the media?   And now said poster,  is claiming that players need to have thicker skins about what is said about them on the Internet?

That's curious.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #265 on: November 30, 2014, 07:53:56 PM »
Didn't a certain poster,  repeatedly rip a certain ex coach for for saying "constructive"  things about players to the media?   And now said poster,  is claiming that players need to have thicker skins about what is said about them on the Internet?

That's curious.

Another feeble attempt on your part to make a point.  About as weak as your typical cartoon posts that you somehow think are actually representative of a good sense of humor..when in reality 90% of the time they are duds.  Please, go through my post history (as many of you haters do) and try to find an example to prove your above point.  Good luck.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #266 on: November 30, 2014, 07:56:21 PM »
I must zoned at commerical time-  key boarding!

Might be the MPLS DMA only for this ad.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #267 on: November 30, 2014, 07:59:55 PM »
Trust me, I hate that mentality too, but you've gone waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond it.  I'm glad you agree he played well today, and you both should probably be glad that someone gave you a chance even if you've f'ed up a bit.

Thanks Rocky.   ;D

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #268 on: December 01, 2014, 12:20:54 AM »
Really? He has No offensive game other than layups. He can't shoot a jump shot, can't shoot a free throw, and is unable to drive and dish.

You just encourage Ners when you make statements like that.

I'm calling BS on this. Derrick's offense has been much improved to start this season. People act like he has no offensive game. It is simply not true. He is making strong drives and finishing them (a much welcomed improvement this season), he is taking and even occasionally making three pointers, and he has shown good vision and passing to start the season. His FT shooting definitely still needs work, hack a Derrick could cost a game down the line. Is he great? No. Is he good? No. But he's more than passable on offense and well above average on defense.

Now, if the defenses start sagging off him again and he can't make them pay with a three pointer, I will reevaluate this statement. But as of right now, defenses have been guarding him.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #269 on: December 01, 2014, 12:34:46 AM »
I'm calling BS on this. Derrick's offense has been much improved to start this season. People act like he has no offensive game. It is simply not true. He is making strong drives and finishing them (a much welcomed improvement this season), he is taking and even occasionally making three pointers, and he has shown good vision and passing to start the season. His FT shooting definitely still needs work, hack a Derrick could cost a game down the line. Is he great? No. Is he good? No. But he's more than passable on offense and well above average on defense.

Now, if the defenses start sagging off him again and he can't make them pay with a three pointer, I will reevaluate this statement. But as of right now, defenses have been guarding him.

Derrick is playing very serviceable right now.... The addition of Carlino and Duane facilitates that alot. Last year Jake couldnt get a shot off unless he was left open, which didnt happen often. Thus causing D.Wilson to try to be a scorer which he is not. Todd was a me, me, me and me as his first second and third option. Todds hero ball helped us and hurt us at times. Now we have guards that will pass and can score, this takes alot of the load off Derrick. He deserves to be out there. . . Now 35+ mpg is a different story. . . But hes probably wojos favorite player and anyone playing behind him probably isn't gonna play much this year.... #2

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #270 on: December 01, 2014, 09:36:10 AM »
I'm not sure why JD isn't getting any looks.

We can come up with a lot of advanced speculation, but it seems likely that the coaching staff doesn't see a role for him on the current team.

Hopefully JD improves and/or the coaches find some ways to use him. Tough to go 8 or 9 deep the entire season. Eventually the 10th guy is going to have to play some minutes.

Will be interesting to see Wojo's rotation come conference season.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #271 on: December 01, 2014, 01:26:27 PM »

We can come up with a lot of advanced speculation, but it seems likely that the coaching staff doesn't see a role for him on the current team.

Hopefully JD improves and/or the coaches find some ways to use him. Tough to go 8 or 9 deep the entire season. Eventually the 10th guy is going to have to play some minutes.

+1

MU82

• All American
« Reply #272 on: December 01, 2014, 01:29:25 PM »

If Wojo is like most coaches, he actually will shorten the rotation when the games matter more.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #273 on: December 01, 2014, 01:45:45 PM »
Thus causing D.Wilson to try to be a scorer which he is not.

This I disagree with.  Derrick did not try to be a scorer last year except as a last resort.  The reason Jake couldn't get open looks last year (besides not being fleet of foot) is because his man never had to double elsewhere because Derrick's man could always do it without fear of Derrick making him pay for it.

This season, the other guard is quick enough to beat a man guarding him AND is willing to pass to moving targets.  Combine that with Derrick being guarded like a regular PG and non-stationary post people and suddenly the offense has movement and openings.

I agree with Ners that the combination of Derrick and Jake was toxic because each player's weakness magnified the other's player weakness.  I hated watching them play together.

Oh, and besides his teammates, Derrick's off season work has resulted in a better player (or maybe its just confidence, I certainly don't know).
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #274 on: December 01, 2014, 02:06:46 PM »
If Wojo is like most coaches, he actually will shorten the rotation when the games matter more.

In theory, yes... but MU is already working with a short rotation. Not sure how much shorter it can get.

MU might be able to go all season without Dawson ever playing again, but injuries and foul trouble happen, especially in conf. play.

My hope is that John is working his ass off and earns some minutes.