[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NCAA Tourney Watch - RPI Historical Reference  (Read 11967 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: NCAA Tourney Watch - RPI Historical Reference
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2017, 08:55:31 PM »
Why would they give a #1 seed to a team that fired their head coach and top assistant at least four different times this year?

Big necks and easy huddles?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2017, 09:10:14 PM »
Syracuse got in with a 79 RPI, because the committee saw something in them and they were right. It does not mean that the committee would see the same thing in MU if they finished with an RPI in the 70's. We really do not know why the committee picked Syracuse.

The committee knew 'cuse was going tot he final Four???

If they are really this good, maybe the committee should fill out Buffett's billion dollar bracket challenge.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2017, 09:11:03 PM »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2017, 10:57:32 PM »
In general I don't trust the committee. So my belief is we need to win out which gets us to 20 plus a BET win that gets us to 21 for Margin of safety. Pure optics. Also winning out ensures a better more competitive resume.   I would feel better with 22 wins but this is an unusual year with the mid majors not being strong.

If your argument is, "I don't trust the committee, there always seems to be a team with a good resume left out in the cold and I don't want to be that team." I agree with you. But that is different from "They need to win three games and a game in the BET in order to get in."

Your win counting is also misguided and has really high numbers. You think 22 wins is necessary to feel safe in a usual year?

Since getting into the Big East, here is the number of regular season wins and seeds Marquette has gotten:
05-06: 20 wins, 7 seed
06-07: 24 wins, 8 seed
07-08: 24 wins, 6 seed
08-09: 24 wins, 6 seed
09-10: 22 wins, 6 seed
10-11: 20 wins, 11 seed
11-12: 25 wins, 3 seed
12-13: 23 wins, 3 seed
13-14: 17 wins, n/a
14-15: 13 wins, n/a
15-16: 20 wins, n/a

You'll notice two things:
1. # of wins don't matta. We got 20 wins in three different seasons. Once it was a 7 seed, once an 11 seed, and once we missed the NIT. We got a lower seed in 06-07 despite having 4 more wins than 05-06.

2. Anytime we've got 22 or more wins in a season, we have been an upper seed...aka nowhere near the bubble. You don't need 22 wins to feel safe. Last season there were teams that got in with less than 20 wins.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2017, 11:06:03 PM »
If your argument is, "I don't trust the committee, there always seems to be a team with a good resume left out in the cold and I don't want to be that team." I agree with you. But that is different from "They need to win three games and a game in the BET in order to get in."

Your win counting is also misguided and has really high numbers. You think 22 wins is necessary to feel safe in a usual year?

Since getting into the Big East, here is the number of regular season wins and seeds Marquette has gotten:
05-06: 20 wins, 7 seed
06-07: 24 wins, 8 seed
07-08: 24 wins, 6 seed
08-09: 24 wins, 6 seed
09-10: 22 wins, 6 seed
10-11: 20 wins, 11 seed
11-12: 25 wins, 3 seed
12-13: 23 wins, 3 seed
13-14: 17 wins, n/a
14-15: 13 wins, n/a
15-16: 20 wins, n/a

You'll notice two things:
1. # of wins don't matta. We got 20 wins in three different seasons. Once it was a 7 seed, once an 11 seed, and once we missed the NIT. We got a lower seed in 06-07 despite having 4 more wins than 05-06.

2. Anytime we've got 22 or more wins in a season, we have been an upper seed...aka nowhere near the bubble. You don't need 22 wins to feel safe. Last season there were teams that got in with less than 20 wins.

Wojo is not well respected by the committee. They look at him as sort of a Duke  D..K. They are going to pass out favors to guys who are well respected such as Ed Cooley. So we need to be as bullet proof as possible.  If this was Buzz , who is a proven good guy, I would be more comfortable at a lower number.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 11:54:03 PM by Marquette Fan In NY »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2017, 11:49:00 PM »

Wojo is not well respected by the committee. They look at him as sort of a Duke  D..K. They are going to pass out favors to guys who are well respected such as Ed Cooley. So we need to be as bullet proof as possible.  If this was Buzz , who is a proven good guy I would be more comfortable at a lower number.

Lol.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2017, 04:15:48 AM »

Wojo is not well respected by the committee. They look at him as sort of a Duke  D..K. They are going to pass out favors to guys who are well respected such as Ed Cooley. So we need to be as bullet proof as possible.  If this was Buzz , who is a proven good guy, I would be more comfortable at a lower number.

Based upon your comments here and in the rape thread, you clearly were never captain of the debate team.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2017, 07:51:01 AM »
Syracuse got in with a 79 RPI, because the committee saw something in them and they were right. It does not mean that the committee would see the same thing in MU if they finished with an RPI in the 70's. We really do not know why the committee picked Syracuse.

False
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2017, 07:59:03 AM »

Didn't it have to do with missing Boeheim and the committee ignored those games? It was due to an NCAA suspension so a lot of people were ticked about it.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2017, 08:17:08 AM »

LOL.  Tell us about the committees' families.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2017, 09:39:59 AM »
Syracuse got in with a 79 RPI, because the committee saw something in them and they were right.

Disagree. They were wrong. Syracuse had no business being in the tournament last just. None whatsoever.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2017, 09:43:13 AM »

Does the committee like Ritchie McKay?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2017, 05:07:56 PM »

Congrats you made Scoop Takes
Goal is National Championship

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2017, 05:15:16 PM »
Congrats you made Scoop Takes

Anyone else see that Todd Townsend is following it as well?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2017, 05:20:44 PM »
Anyone else see that Todd Townsend is following it as well?
We need to hire Todd Townsend.
            ---Al McGuire

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2017, 05:47:58 PM »
Because it is a mathematically invalid point.

How so?  You fail to prove any point whatsoever.  Not to mention, the Tourney committee isn't 100% mathematical when diagnosing a team.  Hence, why you fail to grasp college basketball - the ever important eye test. 

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2017, 05:57:21 PM »
How so?  You fail to prove any point whatsoever.  Not to mention, the Tourney committee isn't 100% mathematical when diagnosing a team.  Hence, why you fail to grasp college basketball - the ever important eye test.

This made me laugh. Well done.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2017, 06:48:18 PM »

Your original point was that our RPI was too high and that we would need to win out in order to have an RPI worthy of a tournament berth. I showed you that you were incorrect. Please show me where I was wrong.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2017, 06:54:06 PM »
We need to hire Todd Townsend.

In what capacity?    And do you mean Marquette or MUScoop?    Are you an administrator in the athletic department?      And if 'we' acted on every suggestion that you have for MU.........   oy. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2017, 08:09:20 PM »
In what capacity?    And do you mean Marquette or MUScoop?    Are you an administrator in the athletic department?      And if 'we' acted on every suggestion that you have for MU.........   oy.
As a coach. Our number one prospect is coming up in a few short years.....Zaire
            ---Al McGuire

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2017, 04:09:48 PM »
LOL
Goal is National Championship

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2017, 04:34:00 PM »
Disagree. They were wrong. Syracuse had no business being in the tournament last just. None whatsoever.
Well everyone was surprised that they were picked and would of argued that the committee was wrong. However, Syracuse's play in the tournament made them right.
Of course they were wrong on every higher seed that lost in the first round.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2017, 04:41:04 PM »
Well everyone was surprised that they were picked and would of argued that the committee was wrong. However, Syracuse's play in the tournament made them right.
Of course they were wrong on every higher seed that lost in the first round.

No. Syracuse's play did not make them right. You don't earn the right after the tournament starts. Syracuse had no business in that tournament. It was a poor decision and even winning the title wouldn't have justified their inclusion because what happens after Selection Sunday is irrelevant. Just like VCU didn't deserve a bid the year they made the Final Four.

Every year there are bad calls, and every year some of those bad calls win a game or two (or four). That doesn't change the bad decision.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2017, 08:32:56 AM »
Just stop with the performance already
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 11:24:03 AM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2017, 08:35:17 AM »
Well I'm here because daddy loved mommy very much, and daddy put his ...

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

feedback