[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: D Wilson. Praise and what?  (Read 11894 times)

82fanatic

• Starter
D Wilson. Praise and what?
« on: January 18, 2014, 07:10:09 PM »
The first 27 minute Derrick played with confidence, drove and scored.  Was a constant threat the defense had to deal with.   Mu looked decent!

Then with 14 minutes to go, the old Derrick returns, play conservative, don't drive.  Hold the ball until no time left.  Mu looks inept! 

Several times in the last 14 minutes I see lanes Derrick could drive as he did the first 14 minutes.   But Derrick refuses and passes out.   

It's like Jake I think.  With Jake....  If you don't launch, your on the bench.   With Derrick. You don't drive and shoot or dish, you sit. 

May hurt for a while(no alternative) but he would get the message and start acting!!! 

Crazy? 

GGGG

• All American
Re: D Wilson. Praise and what?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 07:15:45 PM »
Jesus...Derrick is MU's most consistent player today and we have a handful of threads crucifying him.  Seriously, what the f*ck do you want from him?

He's making Vander's whipping boy status look mild in comparison.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 07:16:40 PM »
Part of it has to do with being tired as he plays to many minutes. However, before you criticise him he was our leading scorer in the second half and the second half including overtime. This loss does not rest with Derrick. When we needed to score Jamil Wilson settled for the easy shot instead of working for a better shot. Gardner only had 4 points in second half, Jamil Wilson had four points while Derrick had 7. Our bench had no points until overtime.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 07:22:19 PM »
Well stated bilsu.

And it's not like it is his fault that he is playing so many minutes.  Someone...anyone...needs to step up and get Derrick off the floor.  And hey, if he's so bad that should be fairly easy to do right?

But that isn't happening.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 07:25:21 PM »
Jesus...Derrick is MU's most consistent player today and we have a handful of threads crucifying him.  Seriously, what the f*ck do you want from him?

i want him on the bench for the entire game.  obviously buzz feels difference, but he didn't do crap to help the team today.  more turnovers than assists, and it's impossible to look at a stat line and draw anything from it because the other 4 players on the court with d. wilson are playing 4 on 5 on the offensive end.  he also got scored on twice late in the game, again.  junior would have had 40 a night if teams would have played him the way they play d. wilson, and junior was nothing special.  we have a pg that other teams shoot over, that can't make a free-throw, and that can't hit an open three.  i counted 6 for 11 shooting within the paint, 0-2 outside the paint.  he's shooting under 50% without anyone guarding him.  i wish every player on MU had his demeanor, work ethic, attitude, etc. but he's simply not getting it done.  MU will go as he goes if buzz continues to play him.  

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 07:31:19 PM »
Part of it has to do with being tired as he plays to many minutes. However, before you criticise him he was our leading scorer in the second half and the second half including overtime. This loss does not rest with Derrick. When we needed to score Jamil Wilson settled for the easy shot instead of working for a better shot. Gardner only had 4 points in second half, Jamil Wilson had four points while Derrick had 7. Our bench had no points until overtime.

jamil and davante were doubled by d. wilson's defender all night long.  as far as working for a better shot...hard to do when there's an extra defender sitting in the lane all season.  why do you think d. wilson isn't picking up a bunch of assists throwing it into DG...they can't even play him on the same side as DG anymore. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 07:31:59 PM »
i want him on the bench for the entire game.  obviously buzz feels difference, but he didn't do crap to help the team today.  

Hey, the good news is that Chris Columbo has no longer said the dumbest thing on Scoop that I have read today.

Derrick Wilson was the most consistent, hardest working player on both ends the floor today.  If he repeats that performance, Marquette would be a good team.  But hey, let's keep blaming him instead of our "shooting" guards who can't shoot...our supposed NBA quality player who disappeared for another half...and our bench for scoring a grand total of four points.  (All in garbage time...)

This sh*t is unreal....

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 07:33:44 PM »
jamil and davante were doubled by d. wilson's defender all night long. 

No.  That is absolutely NOT what happened in the second half.  I swear, people are simply making stuff up at this point.  Davante's guy was fronting him the entire second half...he barely saw the ball because we didn't swing it quick enough.

connie

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 07:37:53 PM »

This sh*t is unreal....
In all fairness, having shooting guards that can't shoot, a point guard that can't shoot, and a supposed "most talented player" that fades into the ether can bring out the crazy.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 07:44:57 PM »
The first 27 minute Derrick played with confidence, drove and scored.  Was a constant threat the defense had to deal with.   Mu looked decent!

Then with 14 minutes to go, the old Derrick returns, play conservative, don't drive.  Hold the ball until no time left.  Mu looks inept! 

Several times in the last 14 minutes I see lanes Derrick could drive as he did the first 14 minutes.   But Derrick refuses and passes out.   

It's like Jake I think.  With Jake....  If you don't launch, your on the bench.   With Derrick. You don't drive and shoot or dish, you sit. 

May hurt for a while(no alternative) but he would get the message and start acting!!! 

Crazy? 

Butler also was more aggressive defensively that put us out of rhythm.  As others have stated D. Wilson was our best player in both halves today.  Those criticizing him are being ridiculous.  Frankly, right now most of the board is just nuts right now.  Butler is not a bad team.  They took Nova and Okla St. to overtime. 

We played like crap in the 2nd half, couldn't make a shot.  Worst case scenario we don't make the tournament this year and we get to watch an entire season of basketball anyway.  I think some fans have been spoiled by recent success.  Very few teams can maintain a high level of play every year. 

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 07:57:19 PM »
Derrick played far and away his most aggressive basketball game this season today, and what I feel was his best game of the year.  Of course 5 turnovers came with it - because he didn't play the same conservative brand of ball he's played all year.

Having said that, pretty confident the scouting report for MU is:  Don't let Gardner or Wilson beat us, we can live with Derrick Wilson shooting from the perimeter, and even from the paint - so long as Gardner and Wilson don't abuse us.

I still feel Derrick has major limitations as a PG, and wish Buzz would give Dawson legit stints of run, as even with Derrick playing well - this team lost to a very average Butler team.  The fact Derrick has zero offensive game from outside the paint, really makes life hell for Jamil, Davante, Jake and Todd.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 08:02:54 PM »
Guard play in general, struggled again.

Mayo had what, zero points in regulation and didn't score until the OT?  A few bad turnovers.  Jake was very cold from deep, 1-8. 

Derrick actually had 13 points and a few assists.  The team overall had 6 assists, and that is a recipe for a loss.

We basically went with a 6 man rotation today and it didn't work for the win.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 08:05:14 PM »

Crazy? 

Derrick had a good first half, but he still hinders the inside game big time. Did you see the game? They were packing it in big time to make life miserable for the Ox. He also had 4 or 5 TO's
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 08:06:29 PM »

Derrick is killing the inside game. Nobody gets within 8 feet of him on the perimeter. Surely you can see that?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

82fanatic

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 08:45:19 PM »

I guess I did not make my point well.   What I meant was I want Derrick playing like he did in the first 26 minutes.  I thought he played like he did in Madison the first time.  We need him to play like that. If he refuses, then he sits, if he embraces it with confidence,  we are suddenly a good team.    If he refuses, the season is a waste, train the younger guys for next year.   Derricks choice!     

Actually meaning to compliment him. He played like we need him to for 26 minutes!!!!!   

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2014, 08:52:56 PM »
Derrick is nowhere near being this team's biggest problem.

We have shooters who can't shoot, seniors who can't lead...and we're worrying about the one guy who plays great defense, protects the ball...and is actually starting to hit some baskets?  Jeez...he had the best shooting percentage on the team today...and that includes Davante and Chris.

MU86NC

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 08:53:07 PM »

who r u - his f**kin dad?  

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 09:06:53 PM »
Derrick is nowhere near being this team's biggest problem.

We have shooters who can't shoot, seniors who can't lead...and we're worrying about the one guy who plays great defense, protects the ball...and is actually starting to hit some baskets?  Jeez...he had the best shooting percentage on the team today...and that includes Davante and Chris.

Sorry Gooo - Derrick is a very big part of what ails this team - because he plays the most important position on the basketball court, point guard.  And he is very challenged offensively from the perimeter and the FT line.  He's a very good defender - that is his 1 high major skill.  But as far as offensive and playmaking ability, he's a low major PG.

I did like Derrick a lot better today, because he was a lot more aggressive and tried to force tempo, and put pressure on the defense.  Of course, he also had 5 turnovers as a result, but it was a step in the right direction.  Now, if Derrick consistently scores 10 ppg on 40+% shooting, and limits his turnovers to 2 per game...I'll be a lot happier - yet my biggest beef, I still don't think will be alleviated - Derrick doesn't make the guys around him better...which is what your PG HAS to be able to do..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2014, 09:50:57 PM »
who r u - his f**kin dad?  

No, he's the assistant coach!

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2014, 09:59:34 PM »

No.  That is absolutely NOT what happened in the second half.  I swear, people are simply making stuff up at this point.  Davante's guy was fronting him the entire second half...he barely saw the ball because we didn't swing it quick enough.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Derrick pass out at 31 Flavors last night!

I admire the determination, Sultan, but why even bother? The stupid are going to continue to post stupid things.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2014, 10:07:08 PM »
My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Derrick pass out at 31 Flavors last night!

I admire the determination, Sultan, but why even bother? The stupid are going to continue to post stupid things.

All anyone is posting is their opinion. Nothing more. You seem to be suggesting that Sultan has fact, unlike the others. Or intelligence, unlike the others. Please.  People are entitled to post their views. Just because you disagree doesn't make them "stupid."

People who try to dictate the conversation are small, silly, and pathetic in a very real way. Grow up. 

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2014, 10:08:01 PM »
All anyone is posting is their opinion. Nothing more. You seem to be suggesting that Sultan has fact, unlike the others. Or intelligence, unlike the others. Please.  People are entitled to post their views. Just because you disagree doesn't make them "stupid."

People who try to dictate the conversation are small, silly, and pathetic in a very real way. Grow up. 

Irony.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2014, 10:09:11 PM »

Irony.

Said the smallest of the small. Indeed. Irony. Grow up.

Death on call

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2014, 10:16:02 PM »
Sorry Gooo - Derrick is a very big part of what ails this team - because he plays the most important position on the basketball court, point guard.  And he is very challenged offensively from the perimeter and the FT line.  He's a very good defender - that is his 1 high major skill.  But as far as offensive and playmaking ability, he's a low major PG.

I did like Derrick a lot better today, because he was a lot more aggressive and tried to force tempo, and put pressure on the defense.  Of course, he also had 5 turnovers as a result, but it was a step in the right direction.  Now, if Derrick consistently scores 10 ppg on 40+% shooting, and limits his turnovers to 2 per game...I'll be a lot happier - yet my biggest beef, I still don't think will be alleviated - Derrick doesn't make the guys around him better...which is what your PG HAS to be able to do..

Guess we're going to have to agree to disagree.

I agree that Derrick has offensive limitations, but his offensive limitations don't prevent Todd, Jake or Jamil from making open jumpers.  They don't force Davante to shoot 20-foot set shots. And they don't force Davante and Jamil to lose their cool.

Derrick did his job today.  If we could say that about any one of Jake, Todd, Jamil or Chris, we'd be celebrating our first real road win.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2014, 10:18:29 PM »