[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Deonte Burton - BallIsLife video  (Read 11910 times)

Boards

• Walk-On
Deonte Burton - BallIsLife video
« on: September 10, 2013, 02:36:44 PM »
Ballislife.com just posted a mix of Deonte Burton and my god.

http://ballislife.com/deonte-burton-is-a-beast-marquette-frosh/

I've closely followed Marquette basketball since my freshman year in 2008 ('12 graduate) and I haven't seen a recruit as freaky athletic as Burton in that time span. Any thoughts?

Windyplayer

• All American
Re: Deonte Burton - BallIsLife video
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 02:42:36 PM »

I've closely followed Marquette basketball since my freshman year in 2008 ('12 graduate) and I haven't seen a recruit as freaky athletic as Burton in that time span. Any thoughts?
Given his athleticism and penchant for the nasty throw-down--Buzz would tolerate a 360 dunk on the break, right (assuming the ball ends up in the hoop)? I hope so.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 02:43:25 PM »
I think he is being overlooked by a lot of people who think Duane or Jujuan will have immediate impact. But it very well might be Deonte.

Going to have to be able to defend though.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 02:54:06 PM »
I think he is being overlooked by a lot of people who think Duane or Jujuan will have immediate impact. But it very well might be Deonte.

People are predicting Duane because someone is going to have to play point and a non-scoring version of Cadougan isn't enough.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 03:32:44 PM »
That video was WACK! A whole bunch of dunks with no defenders. Yeah, he'll be nice to watch during midnight madness, but it tells is nothing about what we're getting for next season. If dunks is all he's got, playing time will be nonexistent for him.

Show a vid with post moves, jumpers, dribbling, defense. Something of skill. That was boring. You see one dunk, you've seen them all.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 03:39:28 PM »
I feel like a broken recorded when commenting on Deonte's highlight clips, but when was the last time you saw a high school/college baller cradle dunk the way he does?!?  

Even at the pro level, to the degree and frequency that Burton does it, is very rare.  Right?  Am I alone on this?

I don't know if it's because of the power required, or if it's viewed as more old school, or what, but I find it difficult to draw parallels to his dunking style.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 03:43:14 PM »
That video was WACK! A whole bunch of dunks with no defenders. Yeah, he'll be nice to watch during midnight madness, but it tells is nothing about what we're getting for next season. If dunks is all he's got, playing time will be nonexistent for him.

Show a vid with post moves, jumpers, dribbling, defense. Something of skill. That was boring. You see one dunk, you've seen them all.

I didn't get half-way through it.  If I want to be entertained with a montage of dunks, I'll watch the Blake & Drain commercial for the 100th time.  Otherwise, I prefer the videos that the coaching staff are watching.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 03:45:09 PM »
If these guys as good as the 3 amigos I'll be happy.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 03:45:50 PM »
I'd compare him to Josh Smith dunking because of the left-hand and the power.

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 03:46:52 PM »

Can't tell you how many times I've said this about JuJuan....then Deonte....then Duane....then JuJuan...then...

Hope they all surprise us.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 04:02:10 PM »
I've said this for a year and a half, but Deonte has always excited me a ton. Maybe it's his build, but people overlook how many things he can do well on the court. Versatile city.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 04:10:08 PM »
Versatile city.

did Dickie V hack Jay Bee's account?

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 05:05:03 PM »
I feel like a broken recorded when commenting on Deonte's highlight clips, but when was the last time you saw a high school/college baller cradle dunk the way he does?!?  

Even at the pro level, to the degree and frequency that Burton does it, is very rare.  Right?  Am I alone on this?

I don't know if it's because of the power required, or if it's viewed as more old school, or what, but I find it difficult to draw parallels to his dunking style.

Can be a crutch for guys with small hands... not sure if that is the case

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 07:55:29 PM »
I've said this for a year and a half, but Deonte has always excited me a ton. Maybe it's his build, but people overlook how many things he can do well on the court. Versatile city.

What's his shot like?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 08:21:25 PM »
That doesn't matter..........he can cradle dunk.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 08:32:06 PM »
If these guys as good as the 3 amigos I'll be happy.

The three guys that never got past the first weekend? I hope they're better
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2013, 08:37:43 PM »
What's his shot like?

Underrated. I've seen him go unconscious several times where he's feeling it from deep and mid-range. If he's able to adapt to the speed of the game quickly he could be very good early on. May take a little time though. Needs to take smart shots... which means getting close to the bucket and drawing contact is important to do a lot of .. but I'm not afraid of him taking some triples.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2013, 08:43:31 PM »
The three guys that never got past the first weekend? I hope they're better
The three amigos did more than hold their own.  Other than Lazar, the front court was the achilles heel and the fact we had no depth.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2013, 08:56:46 PM »
The three amigos did more than hold their own.  Other than Lazar, the front court was the achilles heel and the fact we had no depth.

Didn't seem to stop villanova during Scottie Reynolds' tenure as they were pretty weak up front as I recall.  If they can be that good and be utilized correctly ill be happy. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 09:31:07 PM »
Didn't seem to stop villanova during Scottie Reynolds' tenure as they were pretty weak up front as I recall.  If they can be that good and be utilized correctly ill be happy. 
Does anyone know Villanova versus Marquettes record during the Scottie Reynolds' tenure?  I think that would also be proof that the three amigos were exceptional in any definition of the word.  Don't forget we also had Crean, DJ being severely injured one year, Jerel also being severely injured another year.  The seven foot twins from Stanford.  In any regards, the three amigos started a consecutive streak in the NCAA tourney that is still going.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2013, 10:20:13 PM »
Does anyone know Villanova versus Marquettes record during the Scottie Reynolds' tenure?  I think that would also be proof that the three amigos were exceptional in any definition of the word.  Don't forget we also had Crean, DJ being severely injured one year, Jerel also being severely injured another year.  The seven foot twins from Stanford.  In any regards, the three amigos started a consecutive streak in the NCAA tourney that is still going.

I've got 'em down as 4-4. Won the first three (FR year at MU, SO year at Nova, JR year at MU). Then lost four (JR year at Nova and in conf tourney, SR year at MU, at Nova), then won at conf tourney.

Each team 2-1 at home, 1-1 neutral.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2013, 08:32:19 AM »

Abode4life

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2013, 09:09:02 AM »

DJames was pretty freaky athletic.  He had a ton of alleys in his four years, especially given that he was 5'11. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2013, 09:19:00 AM »
I think that would also be proof that the three amigos were exceptional in any definition of the word.  Don't forget we also had Crean, DJ being severely injured one year, Jerel also being severely injured another year.  The seven foot twins from Stanford.

I see what you did there... and I like it.

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2013, 06:01:34 AM »
I think it is more impressive because Deonte throws it down with such authority and he is so left handed dominant and that is rarely seen not so much the athleticism part.

It is always impressive when he lefty can do some of the things he does....if he was right handed he might be somewhat overlooked if not normal.

Les see if some defenses will push him or force him to go right which they should do, and see what adjustments he makes?

Much of his appeal is that he is a lefty....otherwise I have seen dunks like this before, and so have you. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 06:03:11 AM by MUHoopsFan2 »

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2013, 12:47:48 PM »
Burton's very impressive.  He was listed as 6'5" in high school.  Is he 6'5 or 6'4"?  It seems that MU like to understate the height of its players.  Watching the video he looks like an easy 6'5".

susie90

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2013, 05:30:21 PM »
I LOVE what I see, again the athleticism is off the charts.  Can't teach that!  He'll only get stronger, Buzz will teach him the rest  ;D

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2013, 08:40:27 PM »
In the pro am JJJ shot around 11% from three with a funny looking shot. Burton shot in 30's from thee with several more attempts.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2013, 12:14:13 AM »
It is always impressive when he lefty can do some of the things he does....if he was right handed he might be somewhat overlooked if not normal.

Wait.. what? Being a lefty is a handicap now? If you're a lefty and you're good, then you're better than a righty at the same level? What?