[Today at 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[Today at 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[Today at 10:37:13 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New Big East Schools May Rejoin Their Old Conferences  (Read 11901 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: New Big East Schools May Rejoin Their Old Conferences
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2012, 10:23:46 AM »
If UConn leaves, the only Big East football program located in the northeast will be Temple.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2012, 10:29:09 AM »
The amount of revenue that b-ball schools bring in is like a gnat to an elephant compared to football. 

Last I checked the Tourney is valued over a billion dollars.  That does not include the conference tourneys, the TV deals and gates from basketball.  Yes football is much larger but it's still enough money that it will matter.  Not now, however, as the football arms race is in full force.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2012, 10:30:37 AM »
Yet another incorrect view of the world.  Again, basketball makes money and MU can field a top flight team.  Be patient.  Once the conferences are done killing each other over football they will turn their attention to basketball and we will be an attractive property.  It might be a few more years.

This board should drop this subject and stick with what it does best ... incorrectly ANLAYzing Vander's game.

If you meant to point out that "anal" is a part of analyzing, you should have spelled analyzing correctly and you shouldn't have capitalized the "Y".  Perhaps you post in too much of a hurry.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 10:32:42 AM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2012, 10:31:56 AM »
Besides, when you can't isolate basketball on its own.  The profit men's hoops makes pays for all the other sports at MU.  The television contracts are tied to football with basketball being a very small portion of it.  Yes, there is value, but enough for football conference to take on basketball only schools?  We'll see.  I definitely don't see it with the Big Ten.  Maybe some of the others, but I have strong doubts about it.  The upside isn't there for these conferences to do this and create the problems with their football members. 

Sure you can isolate the basketball revenues.  Until now it has never been an issue.  When it becomes an issue, it will be properly isolated and the value of a non-football school can be determined.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2012, 10:36:36 AM »
Last I checked the Tourney is valued over a billion dollars.  That does not include the conference tourneys, the TV deals and gates from basketball.  Yes football is much larger but it's still enough money that it will matter.  Not now, however, as the football arms race is in full force.

Right, plus money is money.  We will have no say, but we will be the icing on the cake of a conference.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2012, 10:38:34 AM »

But the tournament money doesn't go directly to the schools.  Most of it is retained by the NCAA.  Chicos was speaking specifically about the money made on regular season television contracts.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2012, 11:17:19 AM »

But the tournament money doesn't go directly to the schools.  Most of it is retained by the NCAA.  Chicos was speaking specifically about the money made on regular season television contracts.

When the urgency of football realignment cools a bit, they will look to take this away from the NCAA like they did football. 

Then basketball schools will be divvied up in this mix.

We'll be fine ... good thing we don't have a crappy D1-aa football program as an anchor around our neck.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2012, 11:35:46 AM »
I am just happy this happened after signing date. Now that we have our class signed, I am not going to worry about this.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2012, 11:41:07 AM »
When the urgency of football realignment cools a bit, they will look to take this away from the NCAA like they did football.  

Then basketball schools will be divvied up in this mix.

We'll be fine ... good thing we don't have a crappy D1-aa football program as an anchor around our neck.

I understand the theory that the top 4 conferences will go to 16 and split completely from the NCAA and the rest of D1 football is gaining momentum. But it's just not as easy and realistic as everyone thinks. 64 teams (which is LESS than the 6 BCS conferences + Notre Dame had before realignment) leaves out too many schools and states that won't take too kindly to being told they can't compete (even in their dream scenario) for a championship. Add in to the fact that these conferences are also major players in divvying up grant and research money to the academics of these schools - and you will soon find a lot of states that aren't going to be too happy...and they'll have a pretty good argument on the monopoly/antitrust issues.

Now, I certainly think d1 football is going to get consolidated. But it's gotta include a model more like 4x20 - which gets 80 schools and more states. Somehow the leftover programs (like Boise, Houston) will find their way in - but at what role? Will a combined/consolidated Mountain West and Conf USA stick around as the 5th conference (with considerably less powers)?

For basketball, this will get even more complex and controversial. I can see them dwindling the number of D1 bball teams down to 150 or something (and they should, 365 is stupid), but the BCS schools won't just be able to pick up their ball and go home that easy.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2012, 11:46:59 AM »
I know this guy throws a lot of crap against the wall, but his general movement has been accurate.

So this is interesting
MHver3 ‏@MHver3
Georgetown and Nova in talks with Atlantic 10

MHver3 ‏@MHver3
Uconn has informed Big East they are preparing to move to the ACC

MHver3 ‏@MHver3
Clemson and FSU are making a final push for the SEC. The B12 awaits...

MHver3 ‏@MHver3
15 schools have contacted the B12 offices since Yesterday morning. Schools spanning coast to coast

MHver3 ‏@MHver3
Espn has told Swofford that the conference should brace itself and have 4-6 replacement schools at the ready. Suggested adds UH, SMU,USF,UC

MHver3 ‏@MHver3
My sources are saying UNC UVA have emerged as the Big 10s next 2 targets. GT will have to wait. Delaney wants contiguous state lines

MHver3 ‏@MHver3
UNC has apparently rethought their options. Duke officials are aware of the situation and are livid. Duke contacted B12 this morning

“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2012, 12:08:30 PM »
One more thing ... the music is never going to stop.  Conference realignment will be a constant for many many years.  It will only stop when college football losing its popularity, if/when that ever happens.

I see it stopping once the folks in DC decide to investigate the NCAA, ESPN, BCS, and everything else going on with college sports. 
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2012, 12:14:01 PM »
I am just happy this happened after signing date. Now that we have our class signed, I am not going to worry about this.

Those LOIs are not iron-clad contracts. If Buzz moves on, each of the players would be granted their release.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2012, 12:20:30 PM »
I see it stopping once the folks in DC decide to investigate the NCAA, ESPN, BCS, and everything else going on with college sports. 

....and what exactly do you think they will find that's illegal?

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2012, 12:21:34 PM »
UNC to the Big 10?  :o  Unreal. If that happens, I will truly have seen it all. Can't imagine UNC not being in a conference with Duke, NC State, etc.

We're looking at four mega conferences: Pac-12...Big XII...SEC...and Big 10. The rest will scramble for the scraps and be irrelevant. Hoops-only schools must hope that eventually these mega conferences...in their endless quest for more dollars....turn their attention to the basketball schools. These hoops schools would be the little brothers in the conference. They wouldn't get full shares of revenue—but at least they'd get a (small) seat at the table.

If not, it's on to the A-10...which could soon see itself flooded with applicants.

Either way, MU alums and fans will need to readjust their expectations. MU will now be closer to UW-Milwaukee than UW-Madison.

Bottom line: this sucks.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 12:24:16 PM by Groin_pull »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2012, 12:22:23 PM »

Close on the money, I know because we helped pay into that system.  Mike Aresco, our commissioner in the Big East, engineered that deal at CBS.  $10.8 billion over 14 years.

Here's the problem, that television deal funds almost everything for the NCAA. 96% of their revenues on a yearly basis are funded back into the schools while the other 4% goes to admin costs for the NCAA. All the championships for Divisions I through III, men and women, administration, etc.  The football money, most of it, doesn't go to the NCAA.  At the end of the day, the television contract for the NCAA basketball tournament is important to the extent that successful teams get a cut of the pie in the form of revenue units, but that number in the grand scheme of things is actually quite small to the bottom line of a football program.

As an example, each of those units is worth about $240K and the farther you advance, the more units you earn.  That money is actually sent to the conferences and divided up based on the conference revenue sharing plan. 

I'm merely pointing out that the dollars involved on a per school basis from men's basketball aren't what most people think because of how the money is spent.  Only about $185 million even goes into the Basketball Fund, the rest of the dollars are spent on the academic enhancement funds, grant in aid scholarships, running the championships, student assistance fund, etc.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2012, 12:22:45 PM »
Those LOIs are not iron-clad contracts. If Buzz moves on, each of the players would be granted their release.
I realize that, but I do not think Buzz is leaving. Also, while MU has been good about releasing players, they do not have to release them. I doubt that MU will release a player that wants to leave, because the Big East is not the Big East anymore.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2012, 12:28:03 PM »
I know this guy throws a lot of crap against the wall, but his general movement has been accurate.

So this is interesting
MHver3 ‏@MHver3
Georgetown and Nova in talks with Atlantic 10

That is what worries me the most. Everyone here seems to think we will be okay by assuming the Big East basketball schools will hang together and maybe poach the better A-10 schools. What I fear is the A-10 taking Georgetown and Villanova and no one else.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 09:10:16 AM by bilsu »

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2012, 12:42:25 PM »
I see this as the only good scenario for us.  Gotta hope the ACC gets depleted quickly, and everyone from the Big East doesn't jump ship too soon so there's more of us than them.

Pac 12 stays put
Big Ten takes Maryland, Rutgers, UVa and UNC
SEC takes Florida State and Clemson
Big 12 takes Louisville, Georgia Tech, Miami, NC State, Va.Tech, and USF
Boise State and SDSU go back to the MWC

ACC and Big East left-overs merge so there's 12 for football and 20 for basketball…
ACC - Wake Forest, Duke, BC
In limbo – Syracuse, Pitt, ND
Big East – UConn, Cincy, Memphis, Temple, SMU, Houston, UCF
Basketball schools – Marquette, DePaul, Georgetown, Villanova, St. Johns, Providence, Seton Hall

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2012, 12:44:29 PM »
I realize that, but I do not think Buzz is leaving. Also, while MU has been good about releasing players, they do not have to release them. I doubt that MU will release a player that wants to leave, because the Big East is not the Big East anymore.

True. But do you think Buzz is going to hang around and coach in a mid-conference league?

I don't.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2012, 12:44:54 PM »
I can't see anyone bailing to the A-10. That would be a massive financial hit.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2012, 12:47:34 PM »
....and what exactly do you think they will find that's illegal?

I don't know anything illegal is going on.  
However it's a HUGE pool of revenue for all parties involved.  It just seems like something the government WOULD create a committee to investigate the balance of power between all parties involved.  
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

WarriorDoc

• Starter
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2012, 12:50:59 PM »
That is what worries me the most. Everyone here seems to think we will be okay by assuming the Big East basketball schools will hang to gether and maybe poach the better A-10 schools. What I fear is the A-10 taking Georgetown and Villanova and no one else.

I don't know how conference contracts work, but I just could not see schools like Georgetown and Nova taking that big of a financial hit and saying "yep now we're safe" by nuzzling in with the likes of Duquesne and Fordham if they can't get into the ACC.  Wouldn't it be more likely that St. John's, Maruqette, Seton Hall, Providence, etc--all try to pick up the best of the best from the A-10 and try to form a new conference?

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2012, 12:51:34 PM »
I see this as the only good scenario for us.  Gotta hope the ACC gets depleted quickly, and everyone from the Big East doesn't jump ship too soon so there's more of us than them.

Pac 12 stays put
Big Ten takes Maryland, Rutgers, UVa and UNC
SEC takes Florida State and Clemson
Big 12 takes Louisville, Georgia Tech, Miami, NC State, Va.Tech, and USF
Boise State and SDSU go back to the MWC

ACC and Big East left-overs merge so there's 12 for football and 20 for basketball…
ACC - Wake Forest, Duke, BC
In limbo – Syracuse, Pitt, ND
Big East – UConn, Cincy, Memphis, Temple, SMU, Houston, UCF
Basketball schools – Marquette, DePaul, Georgetown, Villanova, St. Johns, Providence, Seton Hall

But will the Pac-12 stay put? Sounds crazy, but I say they'll take another run at Texas and Oklahoma. Of the four mega conferences, the Big XII would appear to be the weakest. If the Pac-12 wants to make a huge splash, why not? Perhaps their hard line approach towards Texas (and its Longhorn Network) won't be so hard in the near future.

Maybe it's crazy...but what isn't in college sports?

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2012, 01:05:39 PM »
But will the Pac-12 stay put? Sounds crazy, but I say they'll take another run at Texas and Oklahoma. Of the four mega conferences, the Big XII would appear to be the weakest. If the Pac-12 wants to make a huge splash, why not? Perhaps their hard line approach towards Texas (and its Longhorn Network) won't be so hard in the near future.

Maybe it's crazy...but what isn't in college sports?
Maybe this?  We just have to hope that both the Big 12 and ACC don't survive, and the Big East can somehow merge with whatever is left on the conference that gets depleted the most.

Pac 12 adds Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State
Big Ten takes Maryland, Rutgers and stays at 14
SEC stays at 14
ACC takes Syracuse, Pitt, ND, UConn, Louisville, USF

Big 12 and Big East left-overs merge…
Big 12 – Baylor, Kansas, K-State, Iowa State, WVU, TCU
Big East – Cincy, Memphis, Temple, SMU, Houston, UCF
Basketball schools – Marquette, DePaul, G-Town, Nova, St. Johns, Providence, SHU

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2012, 01:22:44 PM »
Maybe this?  We just have to hope that both the Big 12 and ACC don't survive, and the Big East can somehow merge with whatever is left on the conference that gets depleted the most.

Pac 12 adds Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State
Big Ten takes Maryland, Rutgers and stays at 14
SEC stays at 14
ACC takes Syracuse, Pitt, ND, UConn, Louisville, USF

Big 12 and Big East left-overs merge…
Big 12 – Baylor, Kansas, K-State, Iowa State, WVU, TCU
Big East – Cincy, Memphis, Temple, SMU, Houston, UCF
Basketball schools – Marquette, DePaul, G-Town, Nova, St. Johns, Providence, SHU

That's a lot of wishing and hoping, but that's all MU can do. I think you're right about the Pac-12 adding those four schools. And I'm starting to hear more and more about UNC and UVA going to the Big 10....with Clemson and FSU going to the SEC or Big XII. If so, it may be the Big East and ACC that end up merging.

Or maybe we'll have one conference with 40 football schools. Gosh, imagine the TV revenue for that.  ::)