[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jake Thomas has RANGE  (Read 11918 times)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: Jake Thomas has RANGE
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2011, 11:59:28 AM »
Frozena's chances of being a 10 min/game 1/1000

Thomas' chances of being a 10 min/game  1/100

10x better chance, but its just not going to happen.

Everyone please save this post and rub it in my face a couple of years from now.

Rather, I'd lay $20 to anyone that Jake Thomas is never a 10mpg player for Marquette.

That's fair.

I can't disagree because I haven't even see the kid play (other than one game) and I haven't seen any of the current MU frosh. play yet.

I just know that looking at his pedigree and the projected roster, I think he has a shot at getting some role player minutes*.

*One thing to note, Buzz's roster is pretty deep this year, so it will be interesting to see how he utilizes and establishes "roles". He hasn't really established roles in the past, but simply gone with the best match-up or hot-hand.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2011, 05:27:19 PM »
I think the best possibility for Thomas is (obviously) as a sniper from the guard position. The reason I think he can get minutes is because when he comes in and you look at the make-up of our roster, there's definitely room for someone to get time in that type of role. Let's look at the guys he'll probably be competing with for minutes from 2012-14 that we know of:

Jamil Wilson: Should get a lot of minutes, good 3-point shooter, but not necessarily his strength. Will probably play more 3 than 2, where I'd expect to see Thomas.

Vander Blue: Direct competition, should be playing, but not half the shooter Thomas is. I could easily see Blue developing into a 25-30 mpg guy, but when we need a 3, you'd think Thomas would sooner see the floor.

Jamail Jones: Streaky shooter, will he develop into a big minute guy? If he develops consistency, you'd think athleticism and size would give him the edge over Thomas. Question mark right now.

Juan Anderson: Has improved his 3-point shooting, but will probably primarily play the 3 and isn't near the sniper Thomas is.

Todd Mayo: He sounds like a pure scorer, but a better driver than shooter; however, still reportedly a good shooter. I would guess Mayo is the most evident roadblock to Thomas getting minutes.

All of that may mean nothing, but no one that we have at the wing positions have proven themselves to be deadeye shooters like Thomas. I think that's a big reason why people can see him getting minutes. Acker and Cooby are gone. Lazar is gone. DJO will be gone, as will Crowder. Granted, there are a lot of candidates to develop into that our primary shooters from range, but to date, Thomas is the most proven long-range shooter we have in those two years. I'm sure a lot will change between now and then, but for limited minutes (and I still think 10 mpg is probably an absolute best-case scenario) there's definitely a niche he could fill on this team of slashers and drivers.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2011, 10:58:38 PM »
I'm hoping that Thomas doesn't get any minutes only because I hope that the rest of our options at the 2 are playing out of their minds.  Nothing against Thomas, but we have a number of players that have so much more potential.  If he's grabbing clutch minutes then it means that there's going to be quite a bit of disappointment from the fanbase about production from our other student-athletes, imo.

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2011, 12:45:02 PM »
If he can hit free throws (especially down the stretch), I'm all about him being on the team. However, I would also like him to be our last option in those scenarios.
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2011, 01:36:12 PM »
Jake Thomas will get as many minutes as he earns - that could be 0.. it could be 20.  If he beats another guy out who is more highly regarded based on high school ranking - he'll have earned it.  There are many cases where a lower rated recruit outperforms a Top 100 kid.  It is no cause for concern, nor should the fanbase become critical of the Top 100 kid.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2011, 02:07:11 PM »
Let Jake Thomas be Jake Thomas, if he comes in beats out Vander or Mayo, so be it.  He will beat them out in practice, the other players
will know, remember Bill Neary, was he better than or higher ranked than Bernard Toone, not even close.  Chemistry makes a big difference on
a team as well.  If he is the best shooter on the team and Syracuse wants to play zone, let him be the zone breaker.  He has impressive range.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2011, 03:18:13 PM »
If he can hit free throws (especially down the stretch), I'm all about him being on the team. However, I would also like him to be our last option in those scenarios.
That is a good point. You obviosuly need to have ball handlers in. However, based on past performance Cadougan, Blue and Otule do not make a high percentage of free throws so I would not expect them to be all on the floor at the same time at the end of a close game.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2011, 05:10:53 PM »
Jake Thomas will get as many minutes as he earns - that could be 0.. it could be 20.  If he beats another guy out who is more highly regarded based on high school ranking - he'll have earned it.  There are many cases where a lower rated recruit outperforms a Top 100 kid.  It is no cause for concern, nor should the fanbase become critical of the Top 100 kid.

Thanks for the pep talk coach! ;D

feedback