Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[May 31, 2024, 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[May 31, 2024, 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hayward  (Read 4825 times)

spartan3186

• All American
Hayward
« on: February 24, 2007, 06:11:21 PM »
does anyone know why he wasnt starting today? Coming off a 18 pt performance and coming off the bench in favor of Cubillian? just a question

tower912

• All American
Re: Hayward
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 06:14:03 PM »
He started.  He just wasn't effective.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 09:57:36 PM »
Does anyone think he might transfer?
SS Marquette

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 10:42:17 PM »

yep, along with Cube, Fitz, blackledge and Mcneal.   ::)

CWSKeith

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 11:24:11 PM »

You guys can't be serious with some of these questions, can you?  He's a freshman starting on a top 25 team in the country.  He didn't play a lot today because he picked up three first half fouls so Crean had to 'protect' him. 

Yikes...

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 11:29:12 PM »
Simple questions get ridiculous answers...well, from Ziggy, that is.

I didn't see anyone get animated over David's transfer rumors.
SS Marquette

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 07:59:09 AM »
He did start and 3 first half fouls may have had something to do with his limited time.  Maybe not?   ::)

bartmiller#1

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 01:56:26 PM »
No.  I don't think Hayward will transfer.

And I think it's a stupid question.  Why would he? 

He's a starter on a BE team in his freshman year of college.

He's going to the NCAA tournament.  He plays with 3 very good guards who minimize any pressure he would feel as a highly-touted player.  He will play with at least some combination of these players for the next two years. 

Again, why would he transfer? 

I guess it's a fair question in the way that it would be fair to ask whether Wesley Matthews might transfer, or Ooze, or Burke, or anyone, but it's still a stupid question.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 10:22:28 AM »

He's going to the NCAA tournament.  He plays with 3 very good guards who minimize any pressure he would feel as a highly-touted player.  He will play with at least some combination of these players for the next two years. 

Again, why would he transfer? 

I guess it's a fair question in the way that it would be fair to ask whether Wesley Matthews might transfer, or Ooze, or Burke, or anyone, but it's still a stupid question.

I agree with your thoughts about his basketball life... I think it looks pretty good.

I also hate all of the transfer talk because I think it's just people making stuff up to talk about.

BUT, I will also say that often times and probably most of the time players don't transfer just because of what is happening in their "basketball life".

They spend more hours off of the court than on it... so everything from professors, food, weather, girlfriends, highschool friends, distance from home, family, etc. etc. affect a kids decision on where he attends school.

To speculate if Lazar (or any player) is transfering just based upon his on court behavior or playing time is short-sighted. Too many variables to consider to make an educated guess.

My guess is that he stays, but only because that is what he signed up for. I have no reason to suspect that he will not honor that.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 10:27:23 AM by 2002mualum »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 10:41:05 AM »
'77, what is your basis for thinking that Hayward would transfer? 

For that matter when did someone say that Cube was going to transfer?  Why are you people getting my blood pressure up so early in the morning?  Why am I asking so many questions?  Where am I?   ;D
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 11:53:21 AM »
Isn't it natural to speculate given the fact that we've been losing nearly two players a year for the past several years?

Niv
Bradley
Mason
Blankson
Amo
Mortensen
Bell
Matthews
Christian

Regardless of what these players achieved after they left or why they left, they all still made the decision to leave. I think speculating on who might leave is legitimate.

It's also legitimate to speculate on who our assistant coaches might be next year.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 12:00:01 PM »

ODB was a 2 year starter, albeit in CUSA, for a NCAA team & Mason was a 1.5 year starter for a program coming off a Final Four. 

I think it's doubtful LH leaves, but certainly not out of the question. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 12:01:21 PM »
Regardless of what these players achieved after they left or why they left, they all still made the decision to leave.  

Mortenson, Bell and Matthews did not choose to leave. Espesially Mortenson - he was told by the NCAA he had to go, NOT Marquette, Tom Crean or Tom Crean acting as Marquette.
But I like to throw handfuls...

bartmiller#1

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 01:55:25 PM »
ODB didn't leave after his first year.

ODB had people in his ear telling him he was going to the league if he got more touches.

ODB didn't like his role on the team, and he made that known.

None of those things are known to be true for Hayward at this point. 

While I wouldn't be shocked if someone left the team-- particularly given the track record over the last several years-- I think it's unfounded to focus that attention on a particular player who hasn't given any outward indication of a desire to transfer. 

What in the world points to Hayward leaving? 

This is why threads like this are damaging-- not because we shouldn't talk about the issue-- I think that's fine, but because now people are talking about Hayward, specifically, as a possible transfer.  And there's nothing in the world to support that. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 02:14:56 PM »
This is why threads like this are damaging-- not because we shouldn't talk about the issue-- I think that's fine, but because now people are talking about Hayward, specifically, as a possible transfer.  And there's nothing in the world to support that. 

Wait a second.  I have to defend the thread a bit :)  The thread started with the only topic asking why Hayward didn't start - and that quickly corrected because he did start.

Next, there was a simple question "Does anyone think he might transfer?" - to which basically everybody has said "no" with the condition that you can't always rule out transfers though.  Not a single person has actually said that Hayward would transfer, or is likely to.  But the some responding have acted as if that was said.

Basically, if you answer "no" and let the thread die, then it's all over. 

Message boards are a funny thing.  Like the thread that started with "crean must go" - sure the top message was loony, but it was refreshing to see how many people *also* though the message was loony.  Heck, even a few people who I thought hated crean and were overly negative chimed in to say that it was crazy.

Sometimes I think I should add more "crazy" positive top level threads - because some people seem to focus on the title of the thread, rather than the content.

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now  ;D

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2007, 02:23:25 PM »

Wait a second.  I have to defend the thread a bit :)  The thread started with the only topic asking why Hayward didn't start - and that quickly corrected because he did start.

Next, there was a simple question "Does anyone think he might transfer?" - to which basically everybody has said "no" with the condition that you can't always rule out transfers though.  Not a single person has actually said that Hayward would transfer, or is likely to.  But the some responding have acted as if that was said.

Basically, if you answer "no" and let the thread die, then it's all over. 

Message boards are a funny thing.  Like the thread that started with "crean must go" - sure the top message was loony, but it was refreshing to see how many people *also* though the message was loony.  Heck, even a few people who I thought hated crean and were overly negative chimed in to say that it was crazy.

Sometimes I think I should add more "crazy" positive top level threads - because some people seem to focus on the title of the thread, rather than the content.

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now  ;D

It's all over, the message board is acting funny, and you hate Crean now???
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2007, 02:28:39 PM »

No no, you misread.  Crean is acting funny and I hate the message board  :P

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2007, 02:36:17 PM »

No no, you misread.  Crean is acting funny and I hate the message board  :P

But it's still all over.. thank god.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.