collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Buehrle pitches a perfect game  (Read 5192 times)

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Buehrle pitches a perfect game
« on: July 23, 2009, 03:13:33 PM »
Hat Tip to Tim. 

A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Buehrle pitches a perfect game
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 03:18:14 PM »
Hat Tip to Tim.
Yeah did you see the 1st out in the 9th?  Unbelievable play.  Especially considering that was his first play in the game.  Maybe the best catch I've ever seen when you consider the situation.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 03:20:47 PM »
my fantasy team gained 2.5 pts on his arm alone........thanks, Mr Buehrle

only the 18th perfecto ever --incredible
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 03:40:40 PM by NYWarrior »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 03:31:09 PM »
my fantasy team gained 2.5 pts on his arm alone........thanks, Mr Buehrle

only the 16th perfecto ever --incredible
Haha yeah same, my WHIP for the week is now at 0.68 and my ERA is at 1.17.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 03:49:58 PM »
Truly amazing to watch. Dewayne Wise is officially my 2nd favorite person of the day!  ;)

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 04:52:45 PM »
Not bad company for a no-hitter and a perfect game in a career.  All are or will be in the Hall of Fame with the exception of Buehrle who is an unknown as of today.

Mark Buehrle     April 18, 2007  No-Hitter        Both games were 2 hours and 3 minutes.
                      July 23, 2009 Perfect Game    Same home plate umpire for both and ump also wears #56.

Randy Johnson   June 2, 1990 No-Hitter
                       May 18, 2004 Perfect Game

Sandy Koufax     June 30, 1962 No-Hitter
                       May 11, 1963 No-Hitter
                       June 4, 1964 No-Hitter
                       September 9, 1965 Perfect Game

Jim Bunning        June 20, 1958 No-Hitter
                       June 21, 1964 Perfect Game

Joss Aldie           October 2, 1908 Perfect Game
                        April 2, 1910 No-Hitter

Cy Young           September 18, 1897 No-Hitter
                        May 5, 1904 Perfect Game
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 12:26:10 PM by SaintPaulWarrior »

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 04:57:02 PM »
Even before today, Buehrle was making a case for HOF consideration. He's only 30, has like 130 Ws, a World Series title, started an All Star game and (before today) a no-hitter. Add this perfecto to his resume and give him 7 or 8 more years and he's going to have a very strong case.

MU_Iceman

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 05:08:32 PM »
WHITE SOX!!!  WHITE SOX!!!  GO GO WHITE SOX!!!

Okay seriously, the song is terrible...but Buerhle is a stud...

Bring on the Tigers...

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 05:11:50 PM »
Admittedly, I'm biased, but I can totally see Mark quietly becoming a hall of famer. He is in the midst of a great career.

Not that I necessarily think he will beat out Grienke, Wakefield, or others for the Cy Young this year now, but if the Sox can keep rolling, he may be a candidate when all is said and done. He's 11-3 right now.

The only thing that may significantly hurt his HOF chances is if the rumors are true that he'll retire after this contract. I don't think that's long enough of a career to make a case. Then again, I don't think that'll happen, so we'll see.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 05:23:15 PM »
In downtown Chicago, Sox fans were screaming and blowing air horns.

On my train was a 6 year old boy and today was his first ever baseball game. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 06:56:18 PM »
Even before today, Buehrle was making a case for HOF consideration. He's only 30, has like 130 Ws, a World Series title, started an All Star game and (before today) a no-hitter. Add this perfecto to his resume and give him 7 or 8 more years and he's going to have a very strong case.

HOF career? While I think MB is underrated nationally as a pitcher,a hell of a genuine guy, and the owner of the sweetest truck I've ever seen, he does not have the numbers to be a Hall of Famer.

Career 3.8 ERA is borderline. WHIP is nothing notable. Ks are well-below average, he's a contact pitcher. His closest pitchers in comparsion are all well-below HOF consideration, and BR's HOF monitor doesn't give him much of a shot.

MB has even stated himself that he won't pitch long enough to reach milestone numbers, probably sinking his chances further.

Does a perfect game get a player into the Hall? A jersey and ball, yes. Only 5 have made it to the hall, with Randy Johnson going to be the 6th.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 07:07:30 PM by marqptm »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 07:00:00 PM »
Not bad company for a no-hitter and a perfect game in a career.  All are or will be in the Hall of Fame with the exception of Buehrle who is an unknown as of today.

Unknown!!!  Are you kidding, my group signed him up as our spokesperson for MLB Extra Innings on DIRECTV 3 years ago.  We were way ahead of the curve!!    ;) 

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 07:41:57 PM »

At 132-90 Buerhle is not even on the watch list for Cooperstown yet.  Consider another current LHP --- Andy Pettite has 89 more wins (and 3 more titles) than Buehrle and he's borderline.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 07:45:19 PM by NYWarrior »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 08:20:34 PM »
At 132-90 Buerhle is not even on the watch list for Cooperstown yet.  Consider another current LHP --- Andy Pettite has 89 more wins (and 3 more titles) than Buehrle and he's borderline.

Considering Andy juiced, I think he has absolutely no shot to get in, but we'll see.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 08:25:56 PM »
Considering Andy juiced, I think he has absolutely no shot to get in, but we'll see.

fine by me......but with 132 wins, Buehrle can't see Cooperstown on the horizon.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 08:33:51 PM »
fine by me......but with 132 wins, Buehrle can't see Cooperstown on the horizon.

I completely agree.  What will be interesting is how the writers judge pitchers over the next 20 years because 300 wins is going to be a thing of the past.  What will be the new marker...250?

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 08:52:57 PM »

I completely agree.  What will be interesting is how the writers judge pitchers over the next 20 years because 300 wins is going to be a thing of the past.  What will be the new marker...250?

It'll be some measure of wins to be sure plus a combination of the emergent stats of the last two decades.......as an example, ERA+ is generally the best measure of a pitcher's effectiveness.  Writers like Posnanski already openly discuss the importance of these measures which can get to the heart of a pitcher's effectiveness both within an era and vs historically great players.  The import of #s like this will simply increase as we evaluate pitchers going forward.

BTW -- if u have not read Posnanski's book "The Soul of Baseball" put it on your must-do list.

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 08:55:59 PM »
Pettite is at least 7 years older than Buehrle, maybe more (Mark is 30). If Buehrle does in fact play beyond his contract, there's the potential for him to rack up a lot more on his resume.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2009, 07:20:40 AM »
Buehrle does have the potential to be a Hall of Famer seeing as he has exceeded 130 wins by age 30. The problem is though he has said he wants to spend more time with his family and won't stick around to have his career tail off.   Of course he may reconsider depending on where his career is at that point.   

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2009, 08:15:38 AM »

Don't be so quick with that.
Tom Glavine and Mark Buerhle make for a pretty good comparison because not only are they similar pitchers (finesse lefties who eat a ton of innings), but they entered the league at the same age (21).

Through 10 seasons, and at the age of 30, Glavine was sitting at 139-92, with an ERA of 3.46.

In his 10th season, and at the age of 30, Buerhle is sitting at 133-90, with an ERA of 3.76. The fact that Buerhle has pitched his entire career in the AL - and in a hitter's park - easily makes up for the ERA discrepancy between the two. And given that it's still July, it's safe to Buerhle still has 5+ more wins coming this year (and probably a few additional losses as well).

Given the way he pitches, and his lack of injury problems ever, there's no reason to believe Buerhle cannot remain an effective starter for another decade. And if that happens, with his career average of 15 wins per season - the same as Glavine's, interestingly enough - he'd be sitting on about 285 wins by the time he hits 40.
The real question is whether Buerhle will stick around that long. He's said repeatedly that he would not, but you've got to wonder whether he'd stand by that if he's still healthy and Cooperstown is on the line.

And, for good measure, Buerhle probably is the only pitcher in MLB history to have a no hitter, a perfect game, a World Series win and a World Series save.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 08:20:14 AM by Pakuni »

feedback