[May 08, 2024, 07:39:19 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[May 08, 2024, 08:59:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Christmas/Other Holiday Traditions?  (Read 15351 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: Christmas/Other Holiday Traditions?
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2019, 09:04:22 AM »
I don’t get upset with folks using whatever they wish to say, but I expect the same treatment back...not someone saying I, or a company, or anyone else cannot say Merry Christmas without backlash.

I have literally never once heard anyone upset about hearing "Merry Christmas," besides Ebeneezer Scrooge in a Christmas Carol.

I have heard infinitely more people upset about hearing "Happy Holidays."

The problem is not with the people you think it is.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2019, 09:06:34 AM »
The first a Christmas celebration was held in 336AD, to celebrate the birth of Christ.  Christmas means the Mass of Christ.  It isn’t the actual day Christ was born, but the day chosen to celebrate the event.

Merry Christmas

So I assume you guys don't do any Christmas tree, mistletoe or Yule logs since those aren't Christmas traditions of the one from 336AD?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2019, 09:08:03 AM »
I have literally never once heard anyone upset about hearing "Merry Christmas," besides Ebeneezer Scrooge in a Christmas Carol.

+1
Maigh Eo for Sam

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2019, 09:11:25 AM »

I could share a few messages sent to me here from a certain poster upset about the use of Merry Christmas if you wish.  I took a few screen shots to preserve because I was so amazed by it.

Say what you want, celebrate what you celebrate, ‘Tis the Season. 

Washington Post last year had an article about not wishing someone a Merry Christmas that received quite a bit of feedback. 

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2019, 09:19:05 AM »
I could share a few messages sent to me here from a certain poster upset about the use of Merry Christmas if you wish.  I took a few screen shots to preserve because I was so amazed by it.

Washington Post last year had an article about not wishing someone a Merry Christmas that received quite a bit of feedback.

If that's not an admission that you took this thread off track to continue that passive aggressive back and forth I don't know what is.

Happy commercialized culturally appropriated version of Christmas to you
Maigh Eo for Sam

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2019, 09:22:38 AM »

Ok, so this whole tangent that completely took the thread off the rails is because you have some personal feud with another Scooper that you chose to inject into everyone else's enjoyment of Scoop. Got it.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2019, 09:28:49 AM »
If that's not an admission that you took this thread off track to continue that passive aggressive back and forth I don't know what is.

Happy commercialized culturally appropriated version of Christmas to you

Nope.  But it is a response to the statement made above that he has heard of no one...we are blessed to have someone right here in our midsts that has a problem with it...also plenty of other examples in the public sphere.

Say what you want...’Tis the season. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2019, 09:31:12 AM »
Ok, so this whole tangent that completely took the thread off the rails is because you have some personal feud with another Scooper that you chose to inject into everyone else's enjoyment of Scoop. Got it.

Nope.  I read an article yesterday about a poll around Christmas tradition of saying a merry Christmas, which is what this thread is about...traditions at the holidays.  I posted poll and article, and it apparently triggered a few people....why, I have no idea because as you said no one gets upset about this stuff.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2019, 09:35:50 AM »
Nope.  I read an article yesterday about a poll around Christmas tradition of saying a merry Christmas, which is what this thread is about...traditions at the holidays.  I posted poll and article, and it apparently triggered a few people....why, I have no idea because as you said no one gets upset about this stuff.

Yeah, see, there's the "Merry Christmas" as the offhand thing people say in late December.

And there's the "Merry Christmas" some say to spread the joy of the birth of Jesus.

Then there's "Merry Christmas" some say to grind their axe.

Cheeks, whether you are going for door #1 or #2 .. your online persona makes people think it's always door #3.

I think that's your answer.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2019, 09:36:14 AM »
What an pretty boy
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2019, 10:04:49 AM »
So I assume you guys don't do any Christmas tree, mistletoe or Yule logs since those aren't Christmas traditions of the one from 336AD?

Yule Log - The TV version.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2019, 11:26:42 AM »
I think it is because it is tied to a seasonal event and build up, partly as a result of the commercialization pst Thanksgiving.  People typically take many days off, etc...not tied to just one day.

I don’t get upset with folks using whatever they wish to say, but I expect the same treatment back...not someone saying I, or a company, or anyone else cannot say Merry Christmas without backlash. 

No one has told you that you can’t say Merry Christmas.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2019, 11:54:08 AM »
Happy commercialized culturally appropriated version of Christmas Holidays to you

FIFY

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2019, 11:55:04 AM »
FIFY

Hahaha a tip of the cap to you sir!
Maigh Eo for Sam

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #89 on: December 20, 2019, 11:59:47 AM »
We pick names as a tradition for the relatives.  Large family and cuts down on costs.  The name picking is done usually over the Summer.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #90 on: December 20, 2019, 12:26:59 PM »
Anybody go all out for lights and such every year?
Maigh Eo for Sam

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #91 on: December 20, 2019, 12:56:34 PM »

Depending on how cold it is, we pack a few thermos of warm contents and walk the neighborhoods.  If we hear of an extravagant lighting setup within reasonable driving distance that is also a consideration.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #92 on: December 20, 2019, 01:27:59 PM »

We have a pretty cozy/festive situation going for the inside but don't do a whole lot outside. I could do more but I don't want to climb up to the second story to hang lights on the gutters.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #93 on: December 20, 2019, 02:31:39 PM »
We have a pretty cozy/festive situation going for the inside but don't do a whole lot outside. I could do more but I don't want to climb up to the second story to hang lights on the gutters.

Same
Maigh Eo for Sam

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #94 on: December 20, 2019, 02:34:04 PM »
Good friend of my wife’s family had a Tom And Jerry recipe up in Superior sold commercially.  Dgies, you parents knew the family.

I kinda remember my parents talking about it years and years ago.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #95 on: December 20, 2019, 02:45:18 PM »
On of my favorite Christmas "traditions" was the last year my Mother-in-Law was alive.

She had been suffering from Pancreatic Cancer and would die about five weeks later. But she was in skilled care and my wife and I drove to Iowa to be with her that Christmas. She had dinner at noon in the facility and we missed it, largely because we were driving there from Chicago.

We spent a very nice afternoon with her speaking of the "old days" with her brothers and sister. As dusk settled in, her sister and one brother went home while another out-of-town brother and us had to find dinner. Needless to say, finding a gourmet Christmas dinner at 5:30 p.m., Christmas night in Dubuque, Iowa was not easy!

We ended up at a bar down on Central Avenue north of downtown Dubuque. The bar was dark, it was cold outside but, my gosh, the bar was open. We walked in and the bartender had an old-fashioned cast iron skillet in which he fried hamburgers. We ordered three and some beer. When we asked for french fries, all he could do was roll his eyes."We have chips lady," he said to my wife.

Dinner came, stories were told and we probably had one of the more interesting family dinners you could ever imagine. It was kinda depressing at first -- until you thought about why you were there.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #96 on: December 20, 2019, 03:54:45 PM »
Every year (except this one)  I make Christmas Breakfast
baked French toast layered with brown sugar sautéed apple slices along with Gran Marnier soaked dried cranberries. Served with real Maple syrup and thick sliced bacon sprinkled with a  mixture of cayenne, brown sugar and black pepper.
Damn, I am salivating thinking about this

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #97 on: December 20, 2019, 05:00:23 PM »
Every year (except this one)  I make Christmas Breakfast
baked French toast layered with brown sugar sautéed apple slices along with Gran Marnier soaked dried cranberries. Served with real Maple syrup and thick sliced bacon sprinkled with a  mixture of cayenne, brown sugar and black pepper.
Damn, I am salivating thinking about this

Screw my Irish breakfast I'm coming to your place for Christmas breakfast 😂
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #98 on: December 20, 2019, 05:10:14 PM »
Wonder what the good Lord thinks of those who say "Merry Christmas" to spite one's fellow man.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #99 on: December 20, 2019, 05:14:33 PM »
Wonder what the good Lord thinks of those who say "Merry Christmas" to spite one's fellow man.

Pretty sure that God shakes his head at most things done in his name today.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow