[Today at 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Hyperloop  (Read 24394 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: Hyperloop
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2014, 07:33:04 PM »
Listen... I'm not making a political statement here.  I'm simply sharing the observation that a) climatology and meteorology generally have not attracted the best and brightest of the scientific world, and b) anyone who advocates one side or the other is a lemming at best.  Frankly, both sides of the table have completely butchered their arguments on climate change as it pertains to what can be factually, and statistically, supported.  For example, there is some truth in your 99.9% "acceptance" statement, but elaborate on what "findings" are actually being "accepted" and it paints a very different picture than the one being implied.  On the flip side, there are people who will accept the statistical findings that the earth is warming, yet blindly attribute it to cyclical changes while completely rejecting any possibility of influence by humans (e.g. "we had an ice age once, so of course it's getting warmer... that doesn't mean my SUV has anything to do with it").  Neither side is correct when it comes to climate change... there are still questions that have to be answered before there can be anything close to a true consensus.  

All of this is just a long way of expressing that, in my opinion, had guys like Enrico Fermi decided to take up climatology instead, we probably would have had that consensus by now.

Fair enough. I think I misread your original statement.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2014, 07:10:15 AM »

All of this is just a long way of expressing that, in my opinion, had guys like Enrico Fermi decided to take up climatology instead, we probably would have had that consensus by now.

I just can't read the name Enrico without thinking about "Hey it's Enrico Palazzo!" from the Naked Gun.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2016, 01:14:56 PM »
Quick update...becoming a reality (demo, at least) less than 3 years after the original announcement and the OP asking if this could ever happen.

Musk is the Edison of our time.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/05/11/477645103/elon-musks-hyperloop-dream-is-about-to-have-its-1st-public-demo

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2016, 02:00:47 PM »

Looks good, I would add Vegas, maybe Salt lake city.

When I first heard about the Hyperloop, Los Angeles to Vegas was the first route I thought of.  It would be awesome.
Have some patience, FFS.

brandx

« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2016, 02:09:57 PM »

Don't be silly, Benny.

He would just be called an extremist.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2016, 02:14:54 PM »
Don't be silly, Benny.

He would just be called an extremist.

I was under the impression that most hippies already do consider Fermi an extremist.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2016, 03:30:30 PM »
When I first heard about the Hyperloop, Los Angeles to Vegas was the first route I thought of.  It would be awesome.

How about DC to Leavenworth.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2016, 03:38:39 PM »
Hyperloop or Hoopaloop?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2016, 03:44:39 PM »
Hyperloop or Hoopaloop?

Hoopaloop's main terminal is in Chico, CA.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2016, 03:45:54 PM »
Hoopaloop's main terminal is in Chico, CA.

With stops at Disneyland and Beer Summits
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2016, 07:14:04 PM »
Propelled by lots of hot air. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2016, 01:31:46 AM »

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2016, 06:44:47 PM »
We have more oil reserves in this country with shale than all of the Middle East combined.  Shame we choose to rely elsewhere for our needs.  I'm the son of a petroleum geologist \ geophysicist so  was educated on this stuff since a young pup.

As for the other stuff, you'll be happy to know that I have 17 solar panels being installed on my roof come next week.  I'm not against renewable at all, I'm against people thinking that these "clean" cars or "clean" sources of energy are clean.  Hardly, in fact often WORSE than what we have.  People aren't capable of seeing the big picture sometimes and understanding what it takes to produce that electricity, what goes into the batteries, where are the batteries disposed of, the mining for said components like lithium...all come at a cost both short term and long term.  That's really my point...we have a lot of jugheads out here on the coast puffing their chest on how green they are, but in reality they are pretty ignorant to not even understand that currently they are actually less green than everyone else.  The irony is totally lost on them.

As for the costs of the Volt and others, that's consumer costs.  They are still unprofitable and will be for some time as subsidies galore are fueling things now.  I see where GM just had to slash prices again just to move those cars.
Cliffs notes for those in a time crunch: "There's no shortage of oil, and I know this because of my dad, but I am using clean energy, but clean energy isn't clean, and other people are dumb."
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2016, 10:13:55 PM »
Cliffs notes for those in a time crunch: "There's no shortage of oil, and I know this because of my dad, but I am using clean energy, but clean energy isn't clean, and other people are dumb."

Almost.  No such thing as clean energy.  Many people are dumb.  We have massive oil reserves.   I'm using solar panels to save money.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2016, 09:28:19 AM »
Almost.  No such thing as clean energy.  Many people are dumb.  We have massive oil reserves.  I'm using solar panels to save money.

Heavily subsidized by the gov't, by the way. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2016, 09:50:17 AM »
Heavily subsidized by the gov't, by the way.

For some, but I didn't get a tax break benefit

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2016, 10:22:58 AM »
For some, but I didn't get a tax break benefit

You get a certificate payment (or rebate), don't you?  It may not be coming from the gov't's pocket, but it's coming from the gov't's hands (that are taking from someone else's pockets).

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2016, 10:33:36 AM »
You get a certificate payment (or rebate), don't you?  It may not be coming from the gov't's pocket, but it's coming from the gov't's hands (that are taking from someone else's pockets).

That's what I'm saying...I didn't get anything, but the company I lease from does...they get the tax subsidy.  Believe me, I'm not arguing with you at all about the subsidy going to someone....absolutely positively does.  Hell, one could argue that because of the subsidy they are getting they can price the lease at an affordable rate, but I'd have to see the numbers to validate that.

I'm a believe in solar, though it is inefficient as hell, and I say that from someone that lives in a part of the country where it is sunny the  majority of the time.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2016, 01:46:00 PM »

Saw this article:

http://marketmadhouse.com/why-cargo-containers-could-be-the-real-secret-to-hyperloops-success/

maybe the hyperloop system will work better for freight than passenger travel.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2016, 02:55:13 PM »
Saw this article:

http://marketmadhouse.com/why-cargo-containers-could-be-the-real-secret-to-hyperloops-success/

maybe the hyperloop system will work better for freight than passenger travel.

I think that's the initial roll out, if cargo gets vaporized no one really cares. There is a reason the aviation industry started with mail/freight
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2017, 01:06:56 PM »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2017, 01:24:54 PM »
I'd like that between LA and Vegas, yes.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2017, 11:49:29 PM »
As a former Amtrak executive, I have the following concerns:

1) Does the technology really work? Go back and look at the problems with Acela. It weighed too much. It cracked too often. Amtrakis trying to get rid of it now. What makes you think the railroad that brought you Acela and politically motivated long-distance rail travel can do this right?

2) what's the real cost? If an investor says $1.00 and the government is involved, expect it to cost $5.00. And expect the political compromises in the routing to require a hyperloop from Milwaukee to Chicago via Houston and San Diego.

3) I can hardy wait for the NIMBYs to get this one. A hyperlook? In my neighborhood? Forget it! If they can't get All Aboard Florida done on existing right of way, no way this will get done.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2017, 05:17:11 AM »
As a former Amtrak executive, I have the following concerns:

1) Does the technology really work? Go back and look at the problems with Acela. It weighed too much. It cracked too often. Amtrakis trying to get rid of it now. What makes you think the railroad that brought you Acela and politically motivated long-distance rail travel can do this right?

2) what's the real cost? If an investor says $1.00 and the government is involved, expect it to cost $5.00. And expect the political compromises in the routing to require a hyperloop from Milwaukee to Chicago via Houston and San Diego.

3) I can hardy wait for the NIMBYs to get this one. A hyperlook? In my neighborhood? Forget it! If they can't get All Aboard Florida done on existing right of way, no way this will get done.

You need to actually look into this before coming up with these types of questions.  You can mostly answer them with the internet... especially #3.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2017, 06:42:15 AM »
You need to actually look into this before coming up with these types of questions.  You can mostly answer them with the internet... especially #3.

Oh and if it is on the Internet, it must be accurate!

Has to be or the Internet cops will detain me and make me watch DePaul basketball "highlights" from the last three years!

feedback