[Today at 10:02:26 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: From the Halls of the Al  (Read 5387 times)

wampum77

• Walk-On
From the Halls of the Al
« on: September 28, 2008, 12:58:23 PM »
For fear of causing apoplexy in Tan Tommy's followers this information was not posted when first received about 2 weeks ago.

But the word is that Tan Tommy was considered by some in the Athletic Department to be quite divisive (I understood no love lost with his departure) and YES, leaving in a "huff" is a fair interpretation.

79Warrior

• All American
Re: From the Halls of the Al
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 01:05:53 PM »
For fear of causing apoplexy in Tan Tommy's followers this information was not posted when first received about 2 weeks ago.

But the word is that Tan Tommy was considered by some in the Athletic Department to be quite divisive (I understood no love lost with his departure) and YES, leaving in a "huff" is a fair interpretation.

Respectfully, who cares?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 01:19:11 PM »
Who?   Somebody was a huffer?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 04:58:31 PM »

Based on the perspective of the information you have from inside the Al, can you comment on the following three items:

1.  If people inside were so upset with Crean, why is the most frequent criticism about "the way" he left?  Is that truly the worst thing he ever did?  All I've heard for years are just vague rumors about being hard to work for. 

I could see why people would be afraid for their jobs to offer specifics with Crean still around--but now that he's gone we still have nothing.  Six months after the fact, we still have no details.  There was "no love lost" but the worst they can say is that he should have handled his departure better? 

2.  Why are people seem more upset about the departure than happiness that he's gone?  Shouldn't their joy outweigh a compelling need to continuously comment on the method of his departure? 

Frankly, they should be expressing happiness with the way that he left, since it precluded any chance for a counteroffer. 

3.  If Crean was so reviled by the MU staff, why would so many follow him to IU?  So far, there are four people from MU that followed him to IU--Barone, Seltzer, Buckley & Grossman.   That seems like a lot of love for a guy that was so hated.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 05:43:24 PM »

Thanks.

This is both topical and timely.

Great update.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 06:23:22 PM »
I've heard Crean was a dick.   Does it surprise me?  Yes.   Do I care? No.  Because I don't need my coach to be perfect or Mother Theresa.   It's over. 

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 06:31:22 PM »
I've heard Crean was a dick.   Does it surprise me?  Yes.   Do I care? No.  Because I don't need my coach to be perfect or Mother Theresa.   It's over. 

He's not our coach.

Buzz Williams seems like a stand-up nice guy so far.  From what I have understood through watching successful college basketball coaches are the ones who are liked by colleagues and ones around them, do the best.  Even polarizing coaches like Bobby Knight was respected by those around him, because he at least told you the truth and was a stand-up character.  Crean reminds me of a snake in the grass.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 08:51:51 PM »
He's not our coach.

Buzz Williams seems like a stand-up nice guy so far.  From what I have understood through watching successful college basketball coaches are the ones who are liked by colleagues and ones around them, do the best.  Even polarizing coaches like Bobby Knight was respected by those around him, because he at least told you the truth and was a stand-up character.  Crean reminds me of a snake in the grass.

my coach meaning my Marquette coach. 

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 10:18:42 AM »
Seriously...We're still talking about this? I don't give a rat's ass if he was liked, loved, unliked, or hated by the administration. I find it hard to believe that, almost 6 months later, this is still a topic. I don't care how he left, I don't care who he took with him, and I don't care if he's successful or not in Indiana.
I like the man we have in place and the job that he has done thus far. We're 40 days away from our guys taking the court against Colorado State-Pueblo...Yes, I'm aware that this is cupcake city, but I haven't been this excited about Marquette team since 2005 when the big 3 debuted. This upcoming season is going to be a special year. Let's not look in the rearview mirrors anymore, people.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 10:21:02 AM »
+1

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 11:14:23 AM »
We are going to miss Mbakwe more than Crean this year.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 01:15:56 PM »
We are going to miss Mbakwe more than Crean this year.

+1...But my theory is that he couldn't hack it at MU academically or physically in practice and if that's the case, I wish him all the best at Miami-Dade or Miami or wherever he ends up. We've got Burke, Hazel, and O'Tule to clog up the paint, defend, and rebound. We'll be alright without Mbakwe. It would have been nice to have him around this year, but WE WILL BE FINE WITHOUT HIM. Plus if we end up using his scholarship to "snare Snaer" I don't think a single fan would shed a tear.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 01:20:00 PM by mosarsour »