[Today at 05:15:30 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Guns on Campus  (Read 4901 times)

JSwarriors08

Guns on Campus
« on: September 23, 2008, 04:01:57 PM »
http://media.www.marquettetribune.org/media/storage/paper1130/news/2008/09/23/News/Gun-Pulled.On.Student.Sunday-3445164.shtml

I find this incredibly disappointing.  It seems like (from the article and the limited things I've heard around campus) that the suspects were students at one time and were kicked out/dropped out.  Sad to think that current and past MU students resort to violence about something seemingly trivial as voting preference.

Also, it is unsettling that there are guns in on-campus housing a couple blocks down from my apartment. 

Wareagle

• Team Captain
Re: Guns on Campus
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 04:57:20 PM »
http://media.www.marquettetribune.org/media/storage/paper1130/news/2008/09/23/News/Gun-Pulled.On.Student.Sunday-3445164.shtml

I find this incredibly disappointing.  It seems like (from the article and the limited things I've heard around campus) that the suspects were students at one time and were kicked out/dropped out.  Sad to think that current and past MU students resort to violence about something seemingly trivial as voting preference.

Also, it is unsettling that there are guns in on-campus housing a couple blocks down from my apartment. 
The reality is that there are people with guns walking or driving through campus all the time, but typically they don't rob or shot students because of the likelihood they will get caught and the severity of the punishment.  The last person to shot a MU student got 30 years in jail.  DPS deserves a lot of credit for making this area incredibly safe relative to the surrounding neighborhood.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 05:26:04 PM by Wareagle »

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 05:01:53 PM »
i just happened to be going through the alley minutes after this happened. DPS was trying to get into the house and all hell was breaking loose, but they handled it pretty well. Needless to say when I found out someone had a gun I got out of there, but in my four years its the first time I've been anywhere near something THIS dangerous.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 05:17:19 PM »

Some states and schools allow guns to be available on campus or even carried on the individual to class.  As far I can tell (Utah is one of them), there haven't been any incidents as a result.

JSwarriors08

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 05:50:39 PM »
Some states and schools allow guns to be available on campus or even carried on the individual to class.  As far I can tell (Utah is one of them), there haven't been any incidents as a result.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the concept and although still an opponent of such a policy, the record seems to support the implementation of it.  I suppose time will tell as it either does or does not spread to other universities.  In this case it's hard to tell whether this supports or opposes students packing heat.  I think if the victims had been carrying it may have simply escalated the "wrangle" as I believe the Trib called it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 08:02:59 AM »
to the OP.

you do realize that Marquette is located in Urban Milwaukee, don't you?

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 09:42:36 AM »
I'm surprised DPS can enter and search a non-Marquette residence.  I wonder if they have to get radio approval from MPD in such a situation.

I remember 5ish years ago there was a shooting at an apartment just a couple blocks off campus, some guys in their 20s that weren't Marquette students were refused entry to a party and got upset, if I remember correctly.  The writeup of that ran in the same issue of the Trib as an article talking about how MPD was going to be cracking down on jaywalking.  That generated some interesting editorial material.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 12:16:53 PM »
and a stop in jaywalking tickets.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 03:28:55 PM »
This topic is begging for a political response......but I won't

Rollout-the-Barrel

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 07:53:39 PM »
Unfortunately being an urban campus, as previous stated, gun issues are not something new on campus.
If you ever were on campus on the 4th of July or New Year's eve you heard gun shots when I was on campus.  A Chinese student was actually shot for his laptop about 100 feet from my house as well.  Part of being in a large city.
"We have the blues on the run!"

feedback