[Today at 04:00:30 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tom Crean said he interviewed for one job in 9 years  (Read 9482 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Tom Crean said he interviewed for one job in 9 years
« on: September 16, 2008, 12:18:18 PM »
Interesting article.  Let the hand ringing beging

http://news.yahoo.com/s/sn/20080915/sp_sn/qaindianacoachtomcrean

CREAN: I was never contacted. I did not have anybody contact them for me.

I've never felt that's how you get a job. I interviewed for one job in nine years at Marquette, and it was Kansas -- over the phone. Not Illinois, Georgia, any of those other jobs that were available.

If you have to pursue a job, you're not going to get that job. Plus, I always loved the job that I had. Even when this came about this time, it was never about not loving Marquette and those players and what they meant to me.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
Re: Tom Crean said he interviewed for one job in 9 years
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 02:19:50 PM »
That is an absolute lie.  I know for an absolute fact that he spoke thru a third party about the Illinois job.  And we all know he floated his name incessantly.  The guy is a full blown liar.   

bma725

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 02:31:08 PM »
That is an absolute lie.  I know for an absolute fact that he spoke thru a third party about the Illinois job.  And we all know he floated his name incessantly.  The guy is a full blown liar.   

TC is a guy that chooses his words very carefully, if he's saying he didn't interview then he sticking to a very strict limited definition of the word.  Speaking through a third party isn't interviewing.  Floating your name isn't interviewing.  We know that he was offered the Arkansas when it was open, but that doesn't mean he had an actual interview for the position. 

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 02:44:15 PM »
TC is a guy that chooses his words very carefully, if he's saying he didn't interview then he sticking to a very strict limited definition of the word.  Speaking through a third party isn't interviewing.  Floating your name isn't interviewing.  We know that he was offered the Arkansas when it was open, but that doesn't mean he had an actual interview for the position. 

Exactly right. The key word is "interviewed." Probably true that Kansas was the only job that Crean did an official interview for while he was here at MU.

BTW - In today's college basketball and football world, how many coaches really interview for a top-tier job. Most of the process is now done through third parties, search firms and/or back channels.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 02:45:45 PM »

BMA is right. Kansas was probably the only position he wanted to pursue...thus the only school he "interviewed with."
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 02:58:18 PM »

You should re read his words....he said "interview".  Words have meanings.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 05:02:29 PM »

Source? An "absolute fact" would require confirmation from Crean or the person he talked to at Illinois. Otherwise it is hearsay.
We Are Marquette

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 05:09:41 PM »
Source? An "absolute fact" would require confirmation from Crean or the person he talked to at Illinois. Otherwise it is hearsay.

Everything Mr. H says is a fact.  He's like the pope.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 05:12:38 PM »
Who cares? He's Indiana's coach. What will he say when he bolts for Michigan State in a few years?

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 06:10:46 PM »
What will he say when he bolts for Michigan State in a few years?

I assume something along the lines of, "It's Michigan State!  It's Michigan State!"

Doesn't Izzo want another of his old assistants to replace him though and not Crean?

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 06:12:30 PM »
I heard from Jim Tressel that he was in Columbus interviewing at Ohio State.  To add, I heard through Trey Schwab that Crean was not recruiting that hard when Ohio State came open, because he thought he might get the job.

Pardner

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 07:24:29 PM »
"I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky."

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 07:54:17 PM »
Well, now that TC has set the record straight with specific facts it leaves room for anyone interested to pursue the facts and see if they match up.

But the fact is he did remain for 9 years, and did us a lot of good.
9 years is a lifetime in college basketball these days.  Buzz  is 35 - is he likely to stay until retirement - assuming he does well all along.  Unlikely, but I hope he gives us some great years (maybe a couple of decades with a several NCAA wins, a boatload of final 4s, etc)!  Ha
Go Buzz - you're our man, you're our Coach!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 09:10:43 PM by Daniel »

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 08:01:32 PM »
I know for a fact that Crean was behind the Gold nickname, he used to kill and eat puppies behind the Old Gym, and Ron Howard told me that, before he left for IU, Crean took a dump on Fr. Wild's desk.

Wow, that was easy.

RedWebster

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 08:57:12 PM »
Crean actually was behind the Gold nickname. And I also know for a fact he pursued the Illinois job rather vigorously...too vigorously for Illinois as it turns out.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 09:22:31 PM »

I know for a fact that you're wrong.
Illinois contacted Crean thru and intermediary to gauge his interest and the kind of terms (financial and otherwise) he would be seeking, but the discussions never went beyond that. He certainly never interviewed with Illinois.

Too often people around here claim to know for a fact what in reality they've only heard about as a rumor. One in particular has gone by about four or five different screen names in recent months.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 09:45:01 PM »
"I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky."

I saw a great bumper sticker in Las Vegas.  It had a picture of Monica and the following quote: "I'm voting Republican because the Democrats left a bad taste in my mouth!"
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 10:06:10 PM »
Can this ass hole just stay out of the limelight for one frickin' minute? Is there a more egotistical SOB in all of college basketball? Have fun picking cucumbers out your ass in Bloomington, you m-f'er.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MarkMiller

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2008, 10:47:36 PM »
Stay classy, 4everwarriors. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2008, 10:52:18 PM »
Can this ass hole just stay out of the limelight for one frickin' minute? Is there a more egotistical SOB in all of college basketball? Have fun picking cucumbers out your ass in Bloomington, you m-f'er.

Yes ... nothing worse for a college athletics program - especially one in rebuilding mode - to have its head coach getting oodles of media attention. Who's this guy think he is, trying to drum up interest in his program and all that?

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2008, 11:12:51 PM »

::)  Yeah, a reporter asks him a question and writes a story.  Clearly he's being a dick.

nola03

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2008, 11:34:04 AM »
Can this ass hole just stay out of the limelight for one frickin' minute?

This is hardly the limelight. The limelight would be full blown coverage on ESPN for doing something totally unrelated to coaching basketball like, say, a Bruce Pearl painted in orange.

Is there a more egotistical SOB in all of college basketball?

Yes. Take your pick: Coach K, Roy Williams, Bo Ryan, Jim Calhoun, Jim Boeheim, Tim Floyd, etc.

Have fun picking cucumbers out your ass in Bloomington, you m-f'er.

This is where you, Mr. Haystack, and others lose complete credibility when it comes to anything your write. Your personal hatred of Tom Crean the man never allows you to see what Tom Crean the coach accomplished at Marquette. For that, you're irrelevant to any ongoing discussion.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 11:35:36 AM by nola03 »

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2008, 12:33:31 PM »
something about a pot and kettle, nola...and you support Arsenal as well which is even worse!

nola03

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2008, 12:58:52 PM »
something about a pot and kettle, nola...and you support Arsenal as well which is even worse!

Hey, to be in the pot I'd have to personally hate Tom Crean. I do not.  ;)

As for the rest, are you a Scum supporter? Chelski? United?

The Gunners will be shooting down some Dynamo today. Come on!!!!

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2008, 01:11:27 PM »
Well, now that TC has set the record straight with specific facts it leaves room for anyone interested to pursue the facts and see if they match up.

But the fact is he did remain for 9 years, and did us a lot of good.
9 years is a lifetime in college basketball these days.  Buzz  is 35 - is he likely to stay until retirement - assuming he does well all along.  Unlikely, but I hope he gives us some great years (maybe a couple of decades with a several NCAA wins, a boatload of final 4s, etc)!  Ha
Go Buzz - you're our man, you're our Coach!

Don't go bringing logic and overall common sense to this thread. It has no place here.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2008, 01:28:22 PM »
The argument can be made that Crean underachieved given the resources MU afforded him.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2008, 01:45:16 PM »
The argument can be made that Crean underachieved given the resources MU afforded him.

Wow, your hatred for Crean is blurring reality for you.

When Crean got here MU practiced in the Old Gym and played in CUSA.  MU made the Final Four under that setting which, in part, led to the building of the Al and the move to the Big East.  Increased success led to increase revenue which led to increased budgets.  If you think Crean underachieved, then you must think every coach except for Al underachieved as well.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2008, 02:32:52 PM »
Yep, every one except for KO. Given the scenerio, Kevin met expectations.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2008, 02:44:25 PM »

My expecatations are that a coach wouldn't embarass the university which Kevin did many times unfortunately.  Whether it was contractual mentions in the press, incidents at the Harp, screwing around on his wife, etc.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2008, 02:52:04 PM »

This is a totally fair statement.

However, the debate now should be focused on your expectations of a head coach.

I'm not going to get into that (it's just opinion vs opinion), but let's just be clear:

You believe Tom Crean did a poor job because he didn't meet your expectations as a coach.

That's fair, and it has NOTHING to do with Tom Crean, but rather what your expectations of a head coach are.

Fair enough.

Nothing to debate.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2008, 01:01:50 PM »

Could you expand on your post and tell me what KO did that TC did not?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2008, 01:55:48 PM »
Sure, Kevin took over a dismal program, aka Dukiet, and established himself as a defensive coach in a miserable conference with poor practice facilities and an administration that gave a rat's ass about basketball. He outrecruited UW for Keyes, Mac, and others. Tony's Sweet 16 team was special.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2008, 03:26:46 PM »
Sure, Kevin took over a dismal program, aka Dukiet, and established himself as a defensive coach in a miserable conference with poor practice facilities and an administration that gave a rat's ass about basketball. He outrecruited UW for Keyes, Mac, and others. Tony's Sweet 16 team was special.

Yes, KO did very good while he was here; but I don't think his accomplishments are better than what Crean did: taking MU to a Final Four and 3 (going to be 4) consecutive NCAA's while also creating increased revenue and interest, which led to MU's move to the Big East and the building of the AL.  TC did this, while coming off back to back NIT appearances with a coach who though that was as high as MU should aim.  What I (or you) think of him personally should not diminish what he did in his time here.

You think KO did more than TC, I think it is the oppositte.  I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2008, 12:18:43 AM »

You can't be serious....UW wasn't even a player back then.  Mac was not going to Madison.  UW sucked and were at the tail end of their 54 straight years without a NCAA bid.

He did a great job, but also posted 2 losing seasons with a much easier schedule.  So it's impossible to compare apples to apples, but one thing is for sure....the UW he went up against is nothing even remotely close to the one Crean had to deal with in recruiting battles.

feedback