[Today at 11:29:24 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 10:38:12 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 10:31:55 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by lawdog77
[Today at 07:08:02 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: the predicted social ills of legalized pot previously denied  (Read 6875 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
the predicted social ills of legalized pot previously denied
« on: November 17, 2017, 08:34:47 AM »
  not much good has come, predictably so, from the legalization of pot. i've been arguing this from day one.  all it did was ADD to our social problems-the ones we know of anyway.  who knows the exact cost to society, but all of the promises or arguments put forth by the pro-pot alse-what a surprise?

http://gazette.com/editorial-the-sad-anniversary-of-big-commercial-pot-in-colorado/article/1614900
don't...don't don't don't don't

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
Re: the predicted social ills of legalized pot previously denied
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 09:06:51 AM »
You must be a lot of fun at parties.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 10:51:26 AM »
You must be a lot of fun at parties.

Seriously?  What kind of response is that?  An article cites empirical evidence that for just one moment let's assume is factually correct.  And that's your answer?

Now I'm not one to support criminalization of pot but perhaps, just perhaps, the full legalization wasn't the best idea.  I don't know.  But I'll try to learn over time.  Thanks for the article rocket.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 10:52:35 AM »
It says 'editorial' in the link.  Ergo, an opinion. They are entitled to.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 10:55:20 AM »
It says 'editorial' in the link.  Ergo, an opinion. They are entitled to.

Good point tower.  I had not seen that.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 11:50:33 AM »
Seriously?  What kind of response is that?  An article cites empirical evidence that for just one moment let's assume is factually correct.  And that's your answer?

Now I'm not one to support criminalization of pot but perhaps, just perhaps, the full legalization wasn't the best idea.  I don't know.  But I'll try to learn over time.  Thanks for the article rocket.

thanks glow-i'm just saying, as states such as wisconsin are considering legalizing pot, wouldn't one(the voters) want to see how this is going in other states that have legalized it and have some data(5 years for colorado) to draw upon.  now if we are to make some good decisions re: legalization,  this is what we have to look forward to?  yeah, let's have some of this?  some of the information in this article is "based on research by the pro-legalization Denver Post." 

tower-yes it is an editorial, but to call it an opinion, i think would be a stretch-there are facts backed up by statistics.  unless someone can refute them, this is more than i knew yesterday, and certainly hasn't changed my mind about legalization.  frankly legalization scares the chit out of me

i was and believe i still am a blast at parties, just different frame of mind ;)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 12:02:23 PM »
thanks glow-i'm just saying, as states such as wisconsin are considering legalizing pot, wouldn't one(the voters) want to see how this is going in other states that have legalized it and have some data(5 years for colorado) to draw upon.  now if we are to make some good decisions re: legalization,  this is what we have to look forward to?  yeah, let's have some of this?  some of the information in this article is "based on research by the pro-legalization Denver Post." 

tower-yes it is an editorial, but to call it an opinion, i think would be a stretch-there are facts backed up by statistics.  unless someone can refute them, this is more than i knew yesterday, and certainly hasn't changed my mind about legalization.  frankly legalization scares the chit out of me

i was and believe i still am a blast at parties, just different frame of mind ;)

Are you pro-alcohol?  Alcohol is certainly responsible for a lot of society's ills.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 12:33:30 PM »

First off, the editorial misstates their quotes of research which makes me question who is driving this for the editorial board. Here is the easy example of why what they are trying to say needs to be questions.

The editorial says: "An investigation by Education News Colorado, Solutions and the I-News Network shows drug violations reported by Colorado's K-12 schools have increased 45 percent in the past four years, even as the combined number of all other violations has fallen," explains an expose on escalating pot use in schools by Rocky Mountain PBS in late 2016."

What they don't say is that the research they're quoting is not from 2012-2016 but rather took place from 2007-08 and 2010-11 school year. The research they are quoting originally ended in 2012 and was updated in 2016. Here is a link to the article: http://www.rmpbs.org/blogs/news/under-siege-marijuana-and-colorado-schools/

So most of this study took place BEFORE legal weed even became for sale in CO.

This editorial is a total hack job with a political (and most likely business) slant using a leading argument of half stated research to spin an agenda.

This was just the first fact check I did by doing a Google search for their quotes but I am sure there are other dubiously stated items in this piece.

But I like to throw handfuls...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 12:45:57 PM »
Not impressed with the research cited in this opinion piece at all.

I'm not saying there might not be problems; I'm just saying that given what we actually know right now, there is no proof yet. Not enough time has passed.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 01:11:49 PM »
Are you pro-alcohol?  Alcohol is certainly responsible for a lot of society's ills.

That was my thought.  You could swap alcohol for pot in any of those statistics.  I expected research and evidence towards it being a "gateway drug" or something else much more damning.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 01:15:04 PM »
I expected research and evidence towards it being a "gateway drug" or something else much more damning.

Nah, the pharmaceutical companies have that market cornered these days.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 01:32:56 PM »
  not much good has come, predictably so, from the legalization of pot. i've been arguing this from day one.  all it did was ADD to our social problems-the ones we know of anyway.  who knows the exact cost to society, but all of the promises or arguments put forth by the pro-pot alse-what a surprise?

http://gazette.com/editorial-the-sad-anniversary-of-big-commercial-pot-in-colorado/article/1614900

This seems good

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-colorado-marijuana-industry-20161031-story.html

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2017, 01:39:51 PM »
First off, the editorial misstates their quotes of research which makes me question who is driving this for the editorial board. Here is the easy example of why what they are trying to say needs to be questions.

The editorial says: "An investigation by Education News Colorado, Solutions and the I-News Network shows drug violations reported by Colorado's K-12 schools have increased 45 percent in the past four years, even as the combined number of all other violations has fallen," explains an expose on escalating pot use in schools by Rocky Mountain PBS in late 2016."

What they don't say is that the research they're quoting is not from 2012-2016 but rather took place from 2007-08 and 2010-11 school year. The research they are quoting originally ended in 2012 and was updated in 2016. Here is a link to the article: http://www.rmpbs.org/blogs/news/under-siege-marijuana-and-colorado-schools/

So most of this study took place BEFORE legal weed even became for sale in CO.

This editorial is a total hack job with a political (and most likely business) slant using a leading argument of half stated research to spin an agenda.

This was just the first fact check I did by doing a Google search for their quotes but I am sure there are other dubiously stated items in this piece.

Whoops!

I'll wait a couple days to see if opinion of this editorial changes for people

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2017, 03:45:54 PM »

i'm neither pro nor con.  it's been here since before my  time.  if i start a lobby to get rid of it, i know it is wasting my time.  alcohol is absolutely responsible for many of our ills.  my point is 1) please don't add to our ills 2) we must learn from our past mistakes

our societal ills from alcohol are far reaching.  seeing how pot has affected the states that have legalized it-yeah, let's have some more of that  if the negatives outweigh the positives, why would we even consider it?  do you think that if we(wisconsin) legalize pot that we can do better?  failure really shouldn't be an option here knowing what we know. 

i'm sure hards that you are a consumer.  so when you want to buy something or use someones services,   and if you are like me, i check out reviews and/or ask others(word of mouth) who have experiences with whatever it is that i'm looking at.  someone tells you such and such is a hack dentist, smells like pot, alcohol, B.O. untrustworthy, etc etc.  are you going to go to said dentist anyway?  same with products-you going to buy something that is known to breakdown or under perform? 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2017, 03:57:53 PM »
i'm neither pro nor con.  it's been here since before my  time.  if i start a lobby to get rid of it, i know it is wasting my time.  alcohol is absolutely responsible for many of our ills.  my point is 1) please don't add to our ills 2) we must learn from our past mistakes

our societal ills from alcohol are far reaching.  seeing how pot has affected the states that have legalized it-yeah, let's have some more of that  if the negatives outweigh the positives, why would we even consider it?  do you think that if we(wisconsin) legalize pot that we can do better?  failure really shouldn't be an option here knowing what we know. 

i'm sure hards that you are a consumer.  so when you want to buy something or use someones services,   and if you are like me, i check out reviews and/or ask others(word of mouth) who have experiences with whatever it is that i'm looking at.  someone tells you such and such is a hack dentist, smells like pot, alcohol, B.O. untrustworthy, etc etc.  are you going to go to said dentist anyway?  same with products-you going to buy something that is known to breakdown or under perform?

I do the same things when purchasing.

Maybe the negatives of marijuana outweigh the positives, but that may be your opinion... and not someone else's.  I figured that in the land of the free it should be someone's choice to have a joint after work if they want one.  Just like they can choose to have a cigarette or a drink after work.  I realize that opening the door for recreational use has its own set of problems (driving while impaired being #1), but we already have those problems with alcohol.  There will be people who drive and smoke, just like there are people who drink and drive.  Why is it okay to ban marijuana for someone who uses it responsibly and doesn't cause others harm?

Probably the best way to cut down on the societal problems is the way we cut down on our current problems... education; and what better way to fund education than with the taxes generated by the marijuana sales!

Don't people from you 'side of the aisle' want less government?  Then why the intrusion here?  I'm not sure how folks can reconcile that in their head.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2017, 04:02:36 PM »
Whoops!

I'll wait a couple days to see if opinion of this editorial changes for people

this from newsweek-teen addiction, homelessness, increased lawlessness, drugged driving, edible related emergency room visits, child related hospital visits, etc etc.  the increase in jobs, economy etc has probably been a wash with public safety and health related costs

The eyes of other states eager to legalize pot should be firmly fixed on the unfolding saga of towns such as Denver, Boulder and De Beque, Colo

"The eyes of other states eager to legalize pot should be firmly fixed on the unfolding saga of towns such as Denver, Boulder and De Beque, Colo"

i understand that for every article supporting my beliefs/concerns can be balanced with an article against my beliefs.  i'm just saying,  not much( i didn't say none) good can come of adding another mind altering substance to our societal ills.  why, knowing all the risks, add another one?  where is the "anti-smoking" crowd on this?  2nd hand,  tertiary smoke? 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 04:12:17 PM »
  "Don't people from you 'side of the aisle' want less government?  Then why the intrusion here?  I'm not sure how folks can reconcile that in their head."

yes, but i'm conservative, not libertarian.  i've never said "no" to all government.  there are certain functions that i believe only our government can provide-security and safety is in the top 5 if not #1. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2017, 04:19:13 PM »
this from newsweek-teen addiction, homelessness, increased lawlessness, drugged driving, edible related emergency room visits, child related hospital visits, etc etc.  the increase in jobs, economy etc has probably been a wash with public safety and health related costs

The eyes of other states eager to legalize pot should be firmly fixed on the unfolding saga of towns such as Denver, Boulder and De Beque, Colo

"The eyes of other states eager to legalize pot should be firmly fixed on the unfolding saga of towns such as Denver, Boulder and De Beque, Colo"

i understand that for every article supporting my beliefs/concerns can be balanced with an article against my beliefs.  i'm just saying,  not much( i didn't say none) good can come of adding another mind altering substance to our societal ills.  why, knowing all the risks, add another one?  where is the "anti-smoking" crowd on this?  2nd hand,  tertiary smoke?

I think when marijuana was legalized in Colorado they saw a pretty big population boom, and a lot of people who wanted to make marijuana a part of their life moved there.  Could explain some of the initial shock of the negative behavior increasing.

Why knowing all the risks do we allow alcohol?  Why not ban it like we did in the early 20th century?

As for smoking weed in public, you better not be doing it near me.  Just like smoking cigarettes. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2017, 04:19:39 PM »
  "Don't people from you 'side of the aisle' want less government?  Then why the intrusion here?  I'm not sure how folks can reconcile that in their head."

yes, but i'm conservative, not libertarian.  i've never said "no" to all government.  there are certain functions that i believe only our government can provide-security and safety is in the top 5 if not #1.

Understood.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2017, 04:21:29 PM »

You don't have to smoke it to use it.

I think you need more education on the topic.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2017, 04:59:22 PM »
You don't have to smoke it to use it.

I think you need more education on the topic.

umm, well,  i may not have tried the edibles.  i have heard they are quite tasty AND effective.  i have also heard however, that the potency of the the product in smoke form since my college years has increased dramatically ::)  i used to be more "educated" but i will admit that i am probably a little behind with my CE ;)

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2017, 06:13:16 PM »
  umm, well,  i may not have tried the edibles.  i have heard they are quite tasty AND effective.  i have also heard however, that the potency of the the product in smoke form since my college years has increased dramatically ::)  i used to be more "educated" but i will admit that i am probably a little behind with my CE ;)

Ha. I've never used the stuff actually. But I do know that today's stuff is typically more concentrated vs 40 years ago

CE is such a racket. Had to sit through a 3 day BS conference last week for 24 credits. And it was over $500 with no hands-on experience

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2017, 09:35:20 PM »
Ha. I've never used the stuff actually. But I do know that today's stuff is typically more concentrated vs 40 years ago

CE is such a racket. Had to sit through a 3 day BS conference last week for 24 credits. And it was over $500 with no hands-on experience

true story-ok, i have had the unfortunate, dumb luck of being around some of this chit back in the late 70's-mid 80's.  all 2nd hand smoke of course anyone here remember the wet towel under the door, fan in the window and the ever present smell of ozium walking the halls of mccormick?  neither do i

anywhoo, my oldest son comes home one weekend from college(MU grad 2009) about 10 years ago with this little baggie of a green leafy substance and we decide to do a little father-son bonding.  i think i had 2 hits and i couldn't friggin talk for a couple of hours.  that was the last time i was around that damn 2nd hand smokebut holy Jesus mary and joseph.  that was NOT your father's maryjane i'm telling you right now.

moral of the story-kinda tough to bond with your kid when ya can't talk AND now i know why cheech and chong talk the way they do

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2017, 09:55:17 PM »

Don't people from you 'side of the aisle' want less government?  Then why the intrusion here?  I'm not sure how folks can reconcile that in their head.

The white men of that side also get a kick out of taking reproductive rights away from women.

In other words, they like smaller government ... except when it suits them to like bigger government.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2017, 12:10:28 AM »
true story-ok, i have had the unfortunate, dumb luck of being around some of this chit back in the late 70's-mid 80's.  all 2nd hand smoke of course anyone here remember the wet towel under the door, fan in the window and the ever present smell of ozium walking the halls of mccormick?  neither do i

anywhoo, my oldest son comes home one weekend from college(MU grad 2009) about 10 years ago with this little baggie of a green leafy substance and we decide to do a little father-son bonding.  i think i had 2 hits and i couldn't friggin talk for a couple of hours.  that was the last time i was around that damn 2nd hand smokebut holy Jesus mary and joseph.  that was NOT your father's maryjane i'm telling you right now.

moral of the story-kinda tough to bond with your kid when ya can't talk AND now i know why cheech and chong talk the way they do

Awesome story!

Edit:  you should try to vape.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 12:12:49 AM by ZiggysFryBoy »

feedback