[Today at 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vote!  (Read 87284 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Vote!
« Reply #1225 on: November 06, 2020, 11:28:35 AM »
Good for Fox News' Eric Shawn, who went on air today to say the Trump campaign is lying about what's happening in Philly.
Hope he still has a job next week.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/that-is-a-lie-fox-news-anchor-dismantles-a-series-of-trump-conspiracy-theories-about-election-cheating/

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1226 on: November 06, 2020, 11:45:24 AM »
That’s my guy
Me, too. A Yang/Tulsi Gabbard ticket would have been my ideal ticket (Despite my insult of Kamala, I am not a misogynist, nor a Republican).

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1227 on: November 06, 2020, 12:04:42 PM »
I was just teasing Hards because he once told me to cut the Irish pride which I took to mean cut out my second citizenship. As opposed to your average 6th gen John [insert Irish surname] from any south side neighborhood around the country. I don't honestly care anymore but it was too good an opportunity to pass up. Again wasn't trying to hijack thread only trying to tease when it was available.

So anyways. Any concern about the military ballots in Georgia breaking so hard for Trump they'd swing the state back to Red?

There is less support for Trump among the rank and file military members than many realize.

But, with PA it won’t matter
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1228 on: November 06, 2020, 12:05:25 PM »
12 percent of Bernie primary voters voted for Trump in 2016 to “prove a point” and “start a revolution” too. That was the difference in WI, MI, and PA.

None of those have been as successful as abortion though. It’s been huge in keeping Catholics with the GOP as well.

Yep. Three states that were decided by a razor's edge needed every vote. Unless Dems are able to pack the court at some time in the future, the cost of progressives making their point is a SCOTUS that will give progressives zero victories for next generation or two.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1229 on: November 06, 2020, 12:06:30 PM »
Hillary ran a poor campaign and she is primarily to blame for her own loss. However, if you don't think progressives contributed quite a bit to the loss -- and probably would have been able to help her cross the finish line despite herself if they were motivated to keep a cancer like Trump out of the WH -- I don't know what to say.

Thousands upon thousands of progressives either stayed home or voted for Jill Effen Stein. They can congratulate themselves for their role on those 3 new SCOTUS justices.

This implies that they were ever voting for Hilary.  She and the DNC are responsible for getting those progressives to vote.  This is another huge problem with Democrats, they take voting blocks for granted.  Why should people who are fundamentally opposed to war vote for Hilary Clinton?  Her track record is littered with endless wars and dead bodies.  "Bernie bros" saw a few things they liked that Donald Trump offered that were better than what Hilary had, and so they broke for him.  I don't blame them.  Democrats assume they have votes, and don't work for them.  Again, message.

Just so it's on the record, I voted for HRC despite my reservations.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1230 on: November 06, 2020, 12:08:56 PM »
I saw a short story that Democrats can somewhat thank the vile disgusting coal slurper, Don Blankenship, for Georgia.  He ran on the Constitution Party ticket for president and received like 2,800 votes in Georgia.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1231 on: November 06, 2020, 12:09:44 PM »
I saw a short story that Democrats can somewhat thank the vile disgusting coal slurper, Don Blankenship, for Georgia.  He ran on the Constitution Party ticket for president and received like 2,800 votes in Georgia.

Again, this implies that those votes would have broken 100% for DJT. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1232 on: November 06, 2020, 12:11:42 PM »
Yep. Three states that were decided by a razor's edge needed every vote. Unless Dems are able to pack the court at some time in the future, the cost of progressives making their point is a SCOTUS that will give progressives zero victories for next generation or two.

Would court packing be received well by the public? I can't imagine it would be and might set us up for failure later on.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1233 on: November 06, 2020, 12:13:11 PM »
I was just teasing Hards because he once told me to cut the Irish pride which I took to mean cut out my second citizenship. As opposed to your average 6th gen John [insert Irish surname] from any south side neighborhood around the country. I don't honestly care anymore but it was too good an opportunity to pass up. Again wasn't trying to hijack thread only trying to tease when it was available.

So anyways. Any concern about the military ballots in Georgia breaking so hard for Trump they'd swing the state back to Red?

Military ballots are usually more blue than red.  I don't know if that hold true for Georgia though.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1234 on: November 06, 2020, 12:14:09 PM »
"Bernie bros" saw a few things they liked that Donald Trump offered that were better than what Hilary had, and so they broke for him.  I don't blame them.  Democrats assume they have votes, and don't work for them.  Again, message.

Jeopardizing democracy to own the not-lib-enoughs.

How'd that turn out for the Bernie Bros? Their candidate did substantially worse in 2020 and the country is a mess. They sure taught the Democratic Party, alright.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1235 on: November 06, 2020, 12:22:56 PM »
Jeopardizing democracy to own the not-lib-enoughs.

How'd that turn out for the Bernie Bros? Their candidate did substantially worse in 2020 and the country is a mess. They sure taught the Democratic Party, alright.

"Get in line even if you don't agree with our policies" is a bad way to govern, and a sure way to lose.  Unless, you're a Republican.

ORRRRRRRRRRR the DNC and HRC could have fed the Bernie bros some red meat and then ignored them after the election.  I'm just saying that I don't blame hard line ideologues for sticking to their guns.  It was entirely foreseeable, but as usual, the Democratic party ignored that bloc and they saw something they liked in DJT.

Sucks to suck
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 12:25:47 PM by Hards_Alumni »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1236 on: November 06, 2020, 12:26:07 PM »
Would court packing be received well by the public? I can't imagine it would be and might set us up for failure later on.

I thought I saw a polling story that people were not happy with the Merrick Garland stunt then forcing Amy Coney Barret through and that Court Reform would be welcome.   
But I could be misremembering and I would have to try and re-find.  Could be that people were for court reform but that meant term limits or other changes instead.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1237 on: November 06, 2020, 12:29:45 PM »

Who cares?  I assure you, that if the roles were reversed, Republicans would be packing that court.  The high road seems to just lead the Dems off a higher cliff.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #1238 on: November 06, 2020, 12:33:44 PM »

Military ballots are usually more blue than red.  I don't know if that hold true for Georgia though.

Military Times' poll was 41% to 37% pro-Biden among active-duty troops. Trumps disrespect of the military didn't really fly with them.

Veterans, on the other hand, were pro-Trump as an aggregate. The older ones, 55+ years old, polled for trump ~60/40. Young ones were pro biden at 50/40. Lots more older vets, though.

Female/Male confidence was telling. 60% of female vets had No Confidence in Trump as Commander in Chief. Misogyny really hurt the guy. Thankfully he probably doesn't know what that means so my comment won't hurt him any further.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2020/10/26/poll-trump-backed-by-majority-of-veterans-but-not-younger-ones/

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1239 on: November 06, 2020, 12:37:10 PM »
Who cares?  I assure you, that if the roles were reversed, Republicans would be packing that court.  The high road seems to just lead the Dems off a higher cliff.

Agreed.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1240 on: November 06, 2020, 12:37:24 PM »

Court REFORM. Words matter. And if you add justices, but do so in a way that insures future justices are to be picked to avoid partisan hacks, you can bring the public in.

For instance, expand the court to 12 first to balance it on partisan lines, then expand to 15 and say that going forward, all appointees passing the Senate must be universally agreed on by sitting SCOTUS members. That way presidents of both parties would have to make SCOTUS appointments that actually looked at fair decisions rather than partisan lines in their thought process.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

• All American
« Reply #1241 on: November 06, 2020, 12:40:53 PM »
Court REFORM. Words matter. And if you add justices, but do so in a way that insures future justices are to be picked to avoid partisan hacks, you can bring the public in.

For instance, expand the court to 12 first to balance it on partisan lines, then expand to 15 and say that going forward, all appointees passing the Senate must be universally agreed on by sitting SCOTUS members. That way presidents of both parties would have to make SCOTUS appointments that actually looked at fair decisions rather than partisan lines in their thought process.

Requiring the consent of all justices would require a Constitutional amendment.  And I'm not sure it's a good idea anyway. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1242 on: November 06, 2020, 12:43:18 PM »

Requiring the consent of all justices would require a Constitutional amendment.  And I'm not sure it's a good idea anyway.

Set term limits and/or a mandatory retirement age.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

• All American
« Reply #1243 on: November 06, 2020, 12:45:31 PM »
Set term limits and/or a mandatory retirement age.

Which would require the same amendment.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1244 on: November 06, 2020, 12:46:00 PM »
Out-of-state, Q-Anon terrorists with guns try to make trouble at Philly vote-counting site, but thankfully are intercepted by the police.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/11/06/philadelphia-attack-plot-vote-count-election/?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most&carta-url=https%3A%2F%2Fs2.washingtonpost.com%2Fcar-ln-tr%2F2c900c6%2F5fa586009d2fda0efb5ebb66%2F5f8d147cae7e8a56e5b732a4%2F20%2F69%2Fb3563592a6e9cbfdd26e210ad7669201

In general, though, I've been pleased at how few of these kinds of things there have been. So far, anyway.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1245 on: November 06, 2020, 12:54:14 PM »
Three Oh Six.
I understand that qualifies as a landslide.

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1246 on: November 06, 2020, 12:54:32 PM »
Military Times' poll was 41% to 37% pro-Biden among active-duty troops. Trumps disrespect of the military didn't really fly with them.

Veterans, on the other hand, were pro-Trump as an aggregate. The older ones, 55+ years old, polled for trump ~60/40. Young ones were pro biden at 50/40. Lots more older vets, though.

Female/Male confidence was telling. 60% of female vets had No Confidence in Trump as Commander in Chief. Misogyny really hurt the guy. Thankfully he probably doesn't know what that means so my comment won't hurt him any further.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2020/10/26/poll-trump-backed-by-majority-of-veterans-but-not-younger-ones/

The 41% to 37% BIden poll was done before The Atlantic article came out where Trump called military members "Losers and Suckers."

There are up to, meaning possible 8900 outstanding combined overseas military and non military ballots in Georgia. Non-military ballots are expected to favor Biden. Military are expected to be a mix. 17k of these were already counted and reported before today.

Today is last day they are allowed to arrive to be counted, and, they must have been post marked no later than Tuesday. The total added military/overseas ballots could be anywhere from zero to 8900 or in between. If they arrive later than today they will not count.

4800 Gwinnett County.....where Biden leads 58-40 thus far.....will increase Biden's lead today. The numbers for the small counties are just that, small and mixed.

Biden is expected to win Georgia and have 306 Electoral Votes.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 01:06:38 PM by shoothoops »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1247 on: November 06, 2020, 01:02:57 PM »
Progressives cost Dems 2016? We're going to do this again?

If a party/candidate wants someone's vote, they need to do something to make that individual want to vote for them.

Carrot, not stick.

"I'm not Trump/republican/whomever" is not a good incentive to vote. DNC/HRC/Biden all have had opportunity to reach out and involve the progressives with legislation aimed at them. But they don't. So why should a progressive vote for someone who doesn't represent them?

Dems (corporate neoliberal) will never vote/push progressive economic legislation as they listen to wall street money and silicon valley technocrats. Dems (congressional progressives/the squad) fall in line with the neolibs and are significantly outnumbered. GOP will never push for economic populist ideas because they won't leave trickle down economics.

New party, anyone?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1248 on: November 06, 2020, 01:34:54 PM »
Will Trump try to pardon himself? Flynn?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1249 on: November 06, 2020, 01:37:40 PM »
Progressives cost Dems 2016? We're going to do this again?

If a party/candidate wants someone's vote, they need to do something to make that individual want to vote for them.

Carrot, not stick.

I agree. If a candidate doesn't represent your values, or at least not enough of them to earn your support, do not vote for that person.
But to vote for the other candidate, one who opposes nearly everything in which you claim to believe, just because you want to have a ballot booth temper tantrum is stupid and destructive.

I ask again, Bernie Bros, how did it work out for you? You got four years of Trump tearing down what you hold dear and then your candidate did worse in the next election cycle.
Do they give pyrrhic victory trophies? Cause they've got one coming.