[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vote!  (Read 87294 times)

shoothoops

• All American
Re: Vote!
« Reply #875 on: November 04, 2020, 03:47:13 PM »
Charlie Baker & Larry Hogan are Northeast Republicans which kind of makes them Democrats anywhere else in the country.  You're right, if they somehow got through a primary they would have broad appeal.
Paul Ryan - barf, vomit - he thinks he so smart but he's not really.  A co-architect of the least popular tax bill ever.
John Kasich - I don't agree with a lot of his views but he's a sane Republican and I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the Biden Administration.

Larry Hogan voting for a dead person this election as a joke disqualifies him from being taken seriously. This and his terrible record with black and poor people, and gerrymandering.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #876 on: November 04, 2020, 03:48:11 PM »
Absolutely bungled election by the Democrats.  Biden will win, but it was far too close.  No senate, and there are currently some House losses.  Can we fire Pelosi out of a cannon already?

Pollsters better find a new method otherwise people should just ignore them.

The polling really was crazy?  How did so many respected pollsters get so far off? 
I'm thinking there are way more conservative people refusing to take polls, so they are not really indicative and because pollsters don't know what they don't know the numbers get way skewed.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #877 on: November 04, 2020, 03:49:48 PM »
Some Pennsylvania stats:

Current Biden margin (vs. Clinton '16):

Lackawanna: 8.4 (3.5)
Luzerne: -16.6 (-19.3)
Washington: -22.9 (-24.5)
Northampton: 0.4 (-3.8)

More PA counties:

Dauphin 8.2 (2.9)
Lancaster -17.2 (-19.1)
York -25.0 (-28.9)
Schuylkill -39.8 (42.9)
Pike -19.0 (-25.9%)

Still waiting on Philly Counties which will be big for Biden.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 03:52:06 PM by shoothoops »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #878 on: November 04, 2020, 03:50:09 PM »
Charlie Baker & Larry Hogan are Northeast Republicans which kind of makes them Democrats anywhere else in the country.  You're right, if they somehow got through a primary they would have broad appeal.

The last Republican to win the White House is from New York.
But yeah, I know what you mean. I think Hogan would have a shot, if there's some kind of GOP reckoning (not hopeful for that). He's more mid-Atlantic than Northeast, and doesn't come off as an elitist.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #879 on: November 04, 2020, 03:52:14 PM »

OK, so I'm not a conservative at all but a few thoughts:
1) True, but he's not going to win Nevada.  Nor Pennsylvania and Georgia is a coin flip at this point.  Trump will win Florida.
2) 2nd term?  Way too early to say now.  His mental acuity is fine.  People are confusing his life-long stuttering issue with mental acuity. 
3) True.  And Dems still have a longshot for a tie in the Senate which will still lead to needed dealmaking.
4) Trump is a religious cult.  He's unique.  Democrat defeat came in 2016 simply because Dems & Dem leaners didn't show up vote.  Period.  Mitt Romney got more votes for President in 2012 than Trump did in 2016.  Think about that.  I'm no Bernie fan and you're probably right on that one.
5) Very fair statement.  We'll all be better for it if they do.  Can the Republicans stop obsessing over abortion too.  There has to be some compromise somewhere along the lines of the Clintonian doctrine of "safe but rare."
6) Very fair statement.  We'll all be better for it if they do.  Don't like 80-85% of gun owners what the gun loophole closed and few other safety issues passed?
7) Trump won't go quietly, but it may be in his best interest to.  Nikki Haley served in the Trump Administration.  No one from this administration should ever be allowed to serve in public office again.

1) Correct
2) You're delusional.  He probably won't make it a full term.  Plus, mental drop off only GAINS speed with each year.
3) If you guys think there will be civility, I have a bridge to sell you.  I'd look to Wisconsin for a preview of politics for the next two years... maybe 4.
4) Trump is a terrible candidate that has sleepwalked the last four years.  This should have been a bloodbath in the wake of Covid19.  Yet, it was close.  Democrats are totally uninspiring outside of a few young candidates.
5) Trump made gains with minorities everywhere compared to '16.  Democrats will continue to treat minorities as a monolith.  Dems need to do a much better job of speaking about their ideas.  Again, their messaging is garbage.  Want an example?  Biden is going to lose FL.  Meanwhile, FL voters passed a ballot measure by over 20 points that raises the minimum wage to $15/hr.  That is a god damned Democratic policy... THAT EASILY PASSED AND DEMS STILL LOST FLORIDA. 
6) That'd be nice, but it won't happen.  It has been ingrained in almost every Republican that I know that if the Dems gain power, they'll take your guns.  Despite how preposterous it is.  Wedge issue that will continue to be used.
7) Maybe.  Depends.  His kids will run at some point.  There isn't a post DJT world with all of the new Republican's he has brought into office.  Nikki Haley is okay.

Look brother, we are screwed as a country for quite some time.  Our politicians say really dangerous crap with impunity.  None of these guys face any consequences for their actions.  And we elect them term after term. 

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #880 on: November 04, 2020, 03:59:28 PM »
These are quite the tweets.

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1324108200141082624?s=21

He’s living in an alternate reality.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #881 on: November 04, 2020, 04:03:53 PM »
6) That'd be nice, but it won't happen.  It has been ingrained in almost every Republican that I know that if the Dems gain power, they'll take your guns.  Despite how preposterous it is.  Wedge issue that will continue to be used.

Most Republicans I know - and I live in a county that voted Trump - aren't even gun owners (to be fair, I live in the burbs).
The few who are don't stomp around muttering "from my cold dead hands." I'm not saying those people aren't out there - clearly, they are - but you paint with far too broad of a brush.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #882 on: November 04, 2020, 04:04:07 PM »
1) Correct
2) You're delusional.  He probably won't make it a full term.  Plus, mental drop off only GAINS speed with each year.
3) If you guys think there will be civility, I have a bridge to sell you.  I'd look to Wisconsin for a preview of politics for the next two years... maybe 4.
4) Trump is a terrible candidate that has sleepwalked the last four years.  This should have been a bloodbath in the wake of Covid19.  Yet, it was close.  Democrats are totally uninspiring outside of a few young candidates.
5) Trump made gains with minorities everywhere compared to '16.  Democrats will continue to treat minorities as a monolith.  Dems need to do a much better job of speaking about their ideas.  Again, their messaging is garbage.  Want an example?  Biden is going to lose FL.  Meanwhile, FL voters passed a ballot measure by over 20 points that raises the minimum wage to $15/hr.  That is a god damned Democratic policy... THAT EASILY PASSED AND DEMS STILL LOST FLORIDA. 
7) Maybe.  Depends.  His kids will run at some point.  There isn't a post DJT world with all of the new Republican's he has brought into office.  Nikki Haley is okay.

Look brother, we are screwed as a country for quite some time.  Our politicians say really dangerous crap with impunity.  None of these guys face any consequences for their actions.  And we elect them term after term.

Biden's mental acuity is good now and has been up until now moving forward. It is not in question at this time. Anything saying otherwise is a manufactured agenda, whether it is from Bernie Sanders supporters or from Fox News etc...it's pretty difficult to even have a conversation if people can't accept this.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #883 on: November 04, 2020, 04:06:12 PM »
Arizona+Nevada and it's ovah.
Which would spare us the drama of all the lawsuits coming out of Pennsylvania.

But man is Pennsylvania going to be close. Still over 1M mail in ballots to be counted.

https://www.votespa.com/About-Elections/Pages/Counting-Dashboard.aspx

But also a lot of mail in ballots not returned. Will any still arrive? If so, how many?

Not to mention that over 6% of the Philly precincts still haven't reported.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 04:07:44 PM by forgetful »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #884 on: November 04, 2020, 04:06:58 PM »
Most Republicans I know - and I live in a county that voted Trump - aren't even gun owners (to be fair, I live in the burbs).
The few who are don't stomp around muttering "from my cold dead hands." I'm not saying those people aren't out there - clearly, they are - but you paint with far too broad of a brush.

The ones I know are from the Fox Valley, and the counties that surround Dane.  I'm not painting with a broad brush.  Guns don't have to motivate every Republican, but they won't be divorced from the main Republican platform anytime soon.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #885 on: November 04, 2020, 04:09:58 PM »
Biden's mental acuity is good now and has been up until now moving forward. It is not in question at this time. Anything saying otherwise is a manufactured agenda, whether it is from Bernie Sanders supporters or from Fox News etc...it's pretty difficult to even have a conversation if people can't accept this.

What do you base this on?  Emotion?  Even most casual observers would tell you that neither candidate is operating on the same level they were 4 years ago.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #886 on: November 04, 2020, 04:20:22 PM »
Trump is a lifetime grifter but my god, the Lincoln Project just pulled off the nicest grift I've ever seen
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #887 on: November 04, 2020, 04:21:56 PM »
Any discussion of cognitive decline that doesn't include Rudy Giuliani is woefully incomplete.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #888 on: November 04, 2020, 04:22:41 PM »
Any discussion of cognitive decline that doesn't include Rudy Giuliani is woefully incomplete.

But he is irrelevant.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #889 on: November 04, 2020, 04:31:26 PM »
I hereby claim, for banner hanging purposes, the 2020 NCAA Men's Basketball Championship on behalf of Marquette University.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #890 on: November 04, 2020, 04:36:57 PM »
What do you base this on?  Emotion?  Even most casual observers would tell you that neither candidate is operating on the same level they were 4 years ago.

I base it on what I see and hear. People can agree or disagree with his record, political positions, opinions, etc.. have at it, but I haven't seen anything that would make me question his mental acuity up until now. I am not a Neurologist, nor am I an expert, but I have spent considerable time with the Washington University Memory Clinic, where I learned some basic things. But again I am not an expert.

What you are saying here in your post is a far cry from having the mental acuity for his job. Mental acuity is the term. I haven't seen anything to show me that he doesn't have it to do the job. I am open to take a look at anything. I am open to the idea that it could be subject to change in the future. And again I am not an expert.

Trump in my opinion has shown ample evidence of multiple disorders (some of which I have studied at length).

I have seen many strategies and efforts to misconstrue and misrepresent Biden's mental acuity from opponents as a strategic tactic. It is often regurgitated talking points.

Do you have any evidence, or examples you can share? The assumption is an earned one that he doesn't unless shown otherwise.

If I thought and felt otherwise I would say so. I would need to see something to change that.

I am virtually emotionless on the subject. Not sure if you are projecting "emotion" or not. I do see this mentioned often with Biden as if it is somehow accepted without evidence. This for me is the old if you make something up and repeat it endlessly, more and more people may believe its truth.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 04:48:25 PM by shoothoops »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #891 on: November 04, 2020, 04:39:43 PM »
Apparently networks are now calling Michigan & Wisconsin for Biden.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #892 on: November 04, 2020, 04:44:37 PM »
I wasn't sure if I should post this video here or in the NM thread.

Get this guy some Arby's, stat.

https://twitter.com/BrodyLogan/status/1324099928667291648

MU82

• All American
« Reply #893 on: November 04, 2020, 04:47:59 PM »

"We hereby claim the state of Michigan."

I'm trying to remember Civics 101, but I'm pretty sure that's not how it works.

Every day, several times a day, for months before the election: "Waaaa! It's gonna be rigged! It will be the biggest fraud ever! I will take it to the Supreme Court! Waaaa!"

Now: "Waaaa! It's rigged! It's the biggest fraud ever! I will take it to the Supreme Court! Waaaa!"

Man, is Bill Maher right about Donnie being a "whiny little b!tch."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #894 on: November 04, 2020, 04:49:22 PM »
I wasn't sure if I should post this video here or in the NM thread.

Get this guy some Arby's, stat.

https://twitter.com/BrodyLogan/status/1324099928667291648

I love the official after the rant, turning to the mic and calmly saying: "Where were we?"
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #895 on: November 04, 2020, 04:50:29 PM »
Maricopa County, AZ will have an update at 8pm Central time, and, another one later in the evening. Nevada will also have an update tonight. Previously the Georgia Secretary of State said they could conclude Georgia ballot counting tonight but I am not sure where that stands now.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #896 on: November 04, 2020, 04:59:04 PM »

But Joe Biden’s mental acuity should be scaring the nation.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #897 on: November 04, 2020, 05:02:09 PM »
I base it on what I see and hear. People can agree or disagree with his record, political positions, opinions, etc.. have at it, but I haven't seen anything that would make me question his mental acuity up until now. I am not a Neurologist, nor am I an expert, but I have spent considerable time with the Washington University Memory Clinic, where I learned some basic things. But again I am not an expert.

What you are saying here in your post is a far cry from having the mental acuity for his job. Mental acuity is the term. I haven't seen anything to show me that he doesn't have it to do the job. I am open to take a look at anything. I am open to the idea that it could be subject to change in the future. And again I am not an expert.

Trump in my opinion has shown ample evidence of multiple disorders (some of which I have studied at length).

I have seen many strategies and efforts to misconstrue and misrepresent Biden's mental acuity from opponents as a strategic tactic. It is often regurgitated talking points.

Do you have any evidence, or examples you can share? The assumption is an earned one that he doesn't unless shown otherwise.

If I thought and felt otherwise I would say so. I would need to see something to change that.

I am virtually emotionless on the subject. Not sure if you are projecting "emotion" or not. I do see this mentioned often with Biden as if it is somehow accepted without evidence. This for me is the old if you make something up and repeat it endlessly, more and more people may believe its truth.

You can find it anywhere.  But no matter what I show you, you're going to attack the source material, attack the bias of the video, or say that things were clipped or fake.  So, I'll challenge you to do a little bit of looking on your own.  Biden of 2020 isn't the man he was even a few years ago.  Look, Jack, if Donald can get through it, I'm sure Biden will sleepwalk his way through a couple of years, but if he runs in 2024... I won't be voting for an 82 year old man.   That is stupid, and shouldn't even be on the table.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #898 on: November 04, 2020, 05:04:02 PM »
But Joe Biden’s mental acuity should be scaring the nation.

No, Trump is acting in bad faith.  This has nothing to do with anything but his world is crumbling around him, and he is about to be embarrassed by a guy that he nicknamed Sleepy Joe.  His ego is about to take the hit of a lifetime, and he is doing anything and everything he can to stop it.  If you thought the last 3.75 years were a wild ride, you ain't seen nothing yet.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #899 on: November 04, 2020, 05:14:48 PM »

Sadly enough, I think he actually believes he can just ‘claim’ victory and it will happen.