[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vote!  (Read 87289 times)

buckchuckler

• All American
Re: Vote!
« Reply #850 on: November 04, 2020, 02:26:05 PM »
That neither party is likely happy with the outcome yesterday, makes me happy.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #851 on: November 04, 2020, 02:28:11 PM »
From what I read in Pennsylvania, the absentee ballots being counted were about 75%+ for Biden and they expect the trend to hold.  If holds then Biden wins PA by well over 100,000+ votes.

Yep. Philly has 3 counties. Philadelphia County still needs to count 36% of their vote. Biden is winning it at 78%. (this may go even higher considering mailed in ballots overwhelmingly favor Biden. The other two counties need to count about 15% each. Again, these are favorable for Biden.) And then you add needing to count Allegheny County in Pittsburgh, etc ..and Pennsylvania looks very good for Biden.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #852 on: November 04, 2020, 02:46:11 PM »
Yep. Philly has 3 counties. Philadelphia County still needs to count 36% of their vote. Biden is winning it at 78%. (this may go even higher considering mailed in ballots overwhelmingly favor Biden. The other two counties need to count about 15% each. Again, these are favorable for Biden.) And then you add needing to count Allegheny County in Pittsburgh, etc ..and Pennsylvania looks very good for Biden.

the whole Trump brood is calling Pennsylvania for them. All a part of their "it was stolen from us" narrative.

Right now Trump is demanding an end to counting in GA (Trump leading) MI (trailing now) and PA (leading) and yet demanding additional counting in AZ (trailing) and NV (trailing).
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #853 on: November 04, 2020, 02:47:41 PM »
For the most part, I was with you until #7. Want nothing to do with Haley or anyone that worked in this administration.

Same. I'd vote for a Republican again, but I'll never vote for anyone who's served any role in the Trump Administration or anyone who's served as a Trump promoter or apologist.
Some possibilities (who probably would stand little chance in a primary):
Charlie Baker
Larry Hogan
Paul Ryan
John Kasich

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #854 on: November 04, 2020, 02:48:51 PM »
I'm going to put a rational conservative spin on the whole thing, if you folks promise not to shoot me!

1) Trump's only hope is to carry Nevada and maintain his leads in Pennsylvania, Georgia and Florida. Possible but not easy and certainly less than likely given where the votes probably are.

2) Mr. Biden, at best, is a one-termer. His mental acuity does not appear to be what it once was and I'm frightened that he won't make it through his entire term. If he does and he maintains the effort he did when he was Vice President, we have the potential for a new era of collaborative politics. Something we haven't seen since the Clinton era. If Ms. Harris becomes President, many of us conservatives will have severe indigestion.

3) The GOP's probable retention of the Senate means coalition government is a MUST. Coupled with a conservative Supreme Court likely to look askance on excessive Executive Actions, I'm hopeful that the result will be more of a brake on unilateral executive action and more of an effort to go back to Washington horsetrading. I see a divided legislature as a blessing (as it was during the Reagan and Clinton administrations).

4) The fact that a candidate as flawed and divisive as Donald Trump is drove the Democrats to defeat in 2016 and may get within an eyelash of doing it again in 2020 should tell the Democrats that they need to come back from the edge and move more toward the needs and expectations of every American. Had Bernie been nominated, the Orange One would have ended up back in the White House and we wouldn't be worried as I write this about Michigan, Pennsylvania, North Carolina and Georgia! Really, we would not be. Middle America is still out there and it aint going away. Not now, nor when the Millennials age.

5) One of the most frustrating elements of the Republican party is its inability to reach out to African-Americans, most Hispanics, gay and lesbian people and others. Look, conservatives have a good story, when they sell it right. And most of us agree with the notion of compassion for our fellow man and woman. But how many African Americans have been asked for their vote by the Republicans? Honestly? Donald Trump, when he wasn't aggravating people, started down this path four years ago. He turned back almost as fast as he headed down it. Conservatives -- and nonconservative Republicans -- have to sell the notion that our capitalistic ideas and commitment to rising the tide will help everyone, regardless of color, religion orientation or anything else. It's OK to embrace Conservative Christians but you do so by reminding them that God commanded us to love our neighbor as ourselves! Not to be self-centered or bigoted.

6) The GOP has to move past its excessive focus on guns. Defend the second amendment, OK. But this irrational fixation on guns does relatively little good.

7) A final thought -- If The Donald is truly vanquished, it opens the way for a new breed of GOPers. You're up Nikki Haley!

Respectfully,

You may want to see the Forest for the Trees. I believe right now, in front of your very eyes, many Americans have voted their opinion of Donald Trump's mental acuity. I didn't see anything in your post about Trump's mental acuity.

Some of the Democratic supporters believe Biden, Harris, Obama, H Clinton, etc ..have all been far too conservative in their record. But that isn't what you will hear in tunnel vision partisan spin talking points. But records speak for themselves.

No one knows who would have won this or that if this or that person would have been here or there. This is a head to head all can see and make conclusions from it.

It is also misrepresentative that the GOP is the party of capitalism. If your paragraph there was code for trickle down economics. We are all aware that doesn't work. Maybe try to focus more on systemic issues, of which there are many.

I may be alone here but I don't believe in political parties. Problem solving yes, political parties no.

Reach out to minorities LGBTQ? etc...lol....uh I believe not advocating their persecution would be a good place to start. Words matter. They mattered to tens of millions of people. Policies matter too.

Good luck with all of that.

PS maybe try get some of those Christians to understand what pro life really means.

PSS...I am all good with a different approach or take or opinion on anything. But a large part of GOP strategy has been lying. It has been intentionally mischaracterizing Democrat positions, prey upon some people's irrational fears etc...this is not a feasible long term strategy in my opinion. It can and has had short term success here and there. That's your party. It is what it is.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 03:23:12 PM by shoothoops »

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #855 on: November 04, 2020, 02:51:25 PM »
For the most part, I was with you until #7. Want nothing to do with Haley or anyone that worked in this administration.

Every new administration has left-overs from previous Republican or Democratic administrations. Expect the Biden Administration to be populated with Obama Alums, just as the Obama Administration was populated with Clinton alums and the Bush Administration was population with Reagan-Bush alums.

Maybe Haley isn't the answer. She will do well with suburban women, educated conservatives and even southerners. There may be someone out there we don't know about fully, yet. And don't tell me Ron DeSantis. He has a long way to go yet.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #856 on: November 04, 2020, 02:58:13 PM »
Michigan is going nuts right now
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #857 on: November 04, 2020, 03:04:49 PM »
Re: Arizona:
Biden's lead is about 93,500 votes.
There are an estimated 450,000 votes left to be counted. So Trump needs about 328,500 of the remaining votes, i.e. 73 percent, to make up that gap. The only counties in which he's come close to that big of a margin, Mohave and Graham counties, have 96 and 94 percent of their votes in, respectively. So he's not getting much help there
Of the six counties with the most uncounted ballots, four have Biden leading: Apache (+35), Maricopa (+6), Coconino (+28) and Pima (+22).
It's not impossible for Trump to stage a comeback and win Arizona, but it sure seems a longshot.

1. I don't think your math is right regarding needing 328,500 votes.

2. Arizona is now saying there are over 600,000 votes left uncounted, over 400,000 in Maricopa county. They keep finding more votes that were either hand delivered, or mail in arriving late  in the day on Election Day.

We'll know more at 8:00 CST. But I expect Arizona to flip to Trump.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #858 on: November 04, 2020, 03:05:15 PM »
I'm going to put a rational conservative spin on the whole thing, if you folks promise not to shoot me!

1) Trump's only hope is to carry Nevada and maintain his leads in Pennsylvania, Georgia and Florida. Possible but not easy and certainly less than likely given where the votes probably are.

2) Mr. Biden, at best, is a one-termer. His mental acuity does not appear to be what it once was and I'm frightened that he won't make it through his entire term. If he does and he maintains the effort he did when he was Vice President, we have the potential for a new era of collaborative politics. Something we haven't seen since the Clinton era. If Ms. Harris becomes President, many of us conservatives will have severe indigestion.

3) The GOP's probable retention of the Senate means coalition government is a MUST. Coupled with a conservative Supreme Court likely to look askance on excessive Executive Actions, I'm hopeful that the result will be more of a brake on unilateral executive action and more of an effort to go back to Washington horsetrading. I see a divided legislature as a blessing (as it was during the Reagan and Clinton administrations).

4) The fact that a candidate as flawed and divisive as Donald Trump is drove the Democrats to defeat in 2016 and may get within an eyelash of doing it again in 2020 should tell the Democrats that they need to come back from the edge and move more toward the needs and expectations of every American. Had Bernie been nominated, the Orange One would have ended up back in the White House and we wouldn't be worried as I write this about Michigan, Pennsylvania, North Carolina and Georgia! Really, we would not be. Middle America is still out there and it aint going away. Not now, nor when the Millennials age.

5) One of the most frustrating elements of the Republican party is its inability to reach out to African-Americans, most Hispanics, gay and lesbian people and others. Look, conservatives have a good story, when they sell it right. And most of us agree with the notion of compassion for our fellow man and woman. But how many African Americans have been asked for their vote by the Republicans? Honestly? Donald Trump, when he wasn't aggravating people, started down this path four years ago. He turned back almost as fast as he headed down it. Conservatives -- and nonconservative Republicans -- have to sell the notion that our capitalistic ideas and commitment to rising the tide will help everyone, regardless of color, religion orientation or anything else. It's OK to embrace Conservative Christians but you do so by reminding them that God commanded us to love our neighbor as ourselves! Not to be self-centered or bigoted.

6) The GOP has to move past its excessive focus on guns. Defend the second amendment, OK. But this irrational fixation on guns does relatively little good.

7) A final thought -- If The Donald is truly vanquished, it opens the way for a new breed of GOPers. You're up Nikki Haley!

These are all great thoughts dgles I applaud your intentions and dreams.

5 isn't going to happen any time soon while there's sitting R's in power who are avidly against Obergfell v or are unwilling to even sit at a table with African Americans because the police is too synonymous with the pro gun and pro military spending messages.

7 I'm all ears on a new breed. Nikki Haley is not the answer. Sasse might be though.
Maigh Eo for Sam

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #859 on: November 04, 2020, 03:11:41 PM »
Fox news exit poll questions were VERY interesting

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #860 on: November 04, 2020, 03:12:17 PM »

2. Arizona is now saying there are over 600,000 votes left uncounted, over 400,000 in Maricopa county. They keep finding more votes that were either hand delivered, or mail in arriving late  in the day on Election Day.

Again, the votes outstanding are largely in Maricopa County as well as Pima County, etc which favor Biden. Not sure why you think places performing well for Biden would flip. More votes means more Biden votes too.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #861 on: November 04, 2020, 03:17:31 PM »
Again, the votes outstanding are largely in Maricopa County as well as Pima County, etc which favor Biden. Not sure why you think places performing well for Biden would flip. More votes means more Biden votes too.

On top of that, the AP called it for Joey. They are very conservative in their calls and also very accurate. They had Florida called in 2000 correctly. It would take a lot to swing Zona based upon whats outstanding and the way trends go.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #862 on: November 04, 2020, 03:18:17 PM »
Michigan is going nuts right now

yep, the emails went out this morning imploring Trump supporters to storm the building. Give it time, armed militia members will be there too.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #863 on: November 04, 2020, 03:22:15 PM »

I'm working off the numbers the NY Times has.
The fact most of these votes are coming from Maricopa AND mailed in is NOT good news for Trump. He's been down there consistently and even if he replicates his numbers there from 2016 - an unlikely feat given results in most major city/suburban areas so far - it won't be enough.
Maybe you're right, but I stand by my belief that Trump flipping the script is a longshot.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/11/03/us/elections/results-arizona-president.html

reinko

• All American
« Reply #864 on: November 04, 2020, 03:30:00 PM »
The mitten goes to Joe.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #865 on: November 04, 2020, 03:30:03 PM »
yep, the emails went out this morning imploring Trump supporters to storm the building. Give it time, armed militia members will be there too.
And they have stormed the building and are demanding to be let in to stop the counting...with Biden 37,000 votes ahead. Genius.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #866 on: November 04, 2020, 03:32:35 PM »
And they have stormed the building and are demanding to be let in to stop the counting...with Biden 37,000 votes ahead. Genius.

Anyone have links to stories on this?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #867 on: November 04, 2020, 03:35:23 PM »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #868 on: November 04, 2020, 03:35:25 PM »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #869 on: November 04, 2020, 03:35:38 PM »

OK, so I'm not a conservative at all but a few thoughts:
1) True, but he's not going to win Nevada.  Nor Pennsylvania and Georgia is a coin flip at this point.  Trump will win Florida.
2) 2nd term?  Way too early to say now.  His mental acuity is fine.  People are confusing his life-long stuttering issue with mental acuity. 
3) True.  And Dems still have a longshot for a tie in the Senate which will still lead to needed dealmaking.
4) Trump is a religious cult.  He's unique.  Democrat defeat came in 2016 simply because Dems & Dem leaners didn't show up vote.  Period.  Mitt Romney got more votes for President in 2012 than Trump did in 2016.  Think about that.  I'm no Bernie fan and you're probably right on that one.
5) Very fair statement.  We'll all be better for it if they do.  Can the Republicans stop obsessing over abortion too.  There has to be some compromise somewhere along the lines of the Clintonian doctrine of "safe but rare."
6) Very fair statement.  We'll all be better for it if they do.  Don't like 80-85% of gun owners what the gun loophole closed and few other safety issues passed?
7) Trump won't go quietly, but it may be in his best interest to.  Nikki Haley served in the Trump Administration.  No one from this administration should ever be allowed to serve in public office again.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #870 on: November 04, 2020, 03:36:48 PM »
Absolutely bungled election by the Democrats.  Biden will win, but it was far too close.  No senate, and there are currently some House losses.  Can we fire Pelosi out of a cannon already?

Pollsters better find a new method otherwise people should just ignore them.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #871 on: November 04, 2020, 03:37:16 PM »
Seeing how divided we are, this could be the best outcome for the country.  Trump gone but divided govt and slim majorities. 

No one with any mandate. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #872 on: November 04, 2020, 03:41:23 PM »
Seeing how divided we are, this could be the best outcome for the country.  Trump gone but divided govt and slim majorities. 

No one with any mandate.

Yeah probably the best situation to rebuild in the short term.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #873 on: November 04, 2020, 03:44:42 PM »
Same. I'd vote for a Republican again, but I'll never vote for anyone who's served any role in the Trump Administration or anyone who's served as a Trump promoter or apologist.
Some possibilities (who probably would stand little chance in a primary):
Charlie Baker
Larry Hogan
Paul Ryan
John Kasich

Charlie Baker & Larry Hogan are Northeast Republicans which kind of makes them Democrats anywhere else in the country.  You're right, if they somehow got through a primary they would have broad appeal.
Paul Ryan - barf, vomit - he thinks he so smart but he's not really.  A co-architect of the least popular tax bill ever.
John Kasich - I don't agree with a lot of his views but he's a sane Republican and I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the Biden Administration.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #874 on: November 04, 2020, 03:45:57 PM »
The mitten goes to Joe.

Arizona+Nevada and it's ovah.
Which would spare us the drama of all the lawsuits coming out of Pennsylvania.

feedback