[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vote!  (Read 87296 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Vote!
« Reply #775 on: November 04, 2020, 06:24:12 AM »
The Hispanic/latino vote was kind of shocking

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #776 on: November 04, 2020, 06:39:47 AM »
Biden back to a heavy favorite on the betting sites.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #777 on: November 04, 2020, 06:51:44 AM »
It looks like Biden is going to carry Nevada and Wisconsin (though I think we can expect recounts in both). It also looks like Trump will likely carry North Carolina and Georgia (though a higher than average blue shift with the last 5% could change both or either).

Assuming the above paragraph is correct. It's down to Michigan and Pennsylvania. Biden wins either, that's all she wrote. Trump leads in both but I expect significant blue shift in both states as absentee votes are counted....and his lead in Michigan is down to .3%.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #778 on: November 04, 2020, 07:10:40 AM »
Sure looks like Biden at this point - WI, MI, PA. Even now the favorite on betting sites.

Barring a court decision from Trump, of course

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #779 on: November 04, 2020, 07:31:40 AM »

Yeah, apparently the ads in South Florida making Biden/Harris seem the second coming of Castro/Guevara were effective.
Credit the Trump campaign. They aren't dummies.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #780 on: November 04, 2020, 07:34:45 AM »
Yeah, apparently the ads in South Florida making Biden/Harris seem the second coming of Castro/Guevara were effective.
Credit the Trump campaign. They aren't dummies.

Doesn't quite explain other states like Ohio though

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #781 on: November 04, 2020, 07:43:47 AM »

I actually don't think it's that shocking.  As I mentioned earlier, the "family values" of many in that community line up pretty solid with Republicans.  And immigration was nowhere near part of the national conversation on this election.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #782 on: November 04, 2020, 07:49:12 AM »

I actually don't think it's that shocking.  As I mentioned earlier, the "family values" of many in that community line up pretty solid with Republicans.  And immigration was nowhere near part of the national conversation on this election.

So the immigration discussion in the last election is why Hillary won such a greater percentage?

• All American
« Reply #783 on: November 04, 2020, 08:01:31 AM »
My observations from working the polls - in a ward that went about 60% Democratic.

**Very little "election gear" at all.  I saw one MAGA hat and about three BLM shirts.
**Almost everyone was polite, if not just downright nice.  No arguments.  No one over-the-top.  Very respectful.
**No guns.  No militias.  No one blocking access to the polls.
**It's very hard for people who move a lot to prove where they live.
**A significant portion of the population has no idea how to fill out a ballot.  It was enlightening.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #784 on: November 04, 2020, 08:02:04 AM »
So the immigration discussion in the last election is why Hillary won such a greater percentage?

That is what I am thinking.  But WTF do I know.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #785 on: November 04, 2020, 08:15:49 AM »
Pipe burst at the largest county in GA that happened to be a super polling place? Why does such weird stuff happen in this country for elections?
Maigh Eo for Sam

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #786 on: November 04, 2020, 08:19:40 AM »
The Hispanic vote is plural not singular. It is very diverse, and many different types of Hispanics in many different types of geographies vote differently for different reasons.

Biden was more successful in the Southwest, Nevada, Arizona, than some of the others, such as Cuban/Venezuelan parts of Florida. Even in Florida, that will differ with more Puerto Rican Orlando etc...

The first thing to know and understand about Hispanic voters is that it is a diverse group of many types of voters.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #787 on: November 04, 2020, 08:23:12 AM »

If I'm not mistaken, Hillary lost Latino support as well, compared to 2012.
Fluffy hit the nail on the head about Latinos being more socially conservative than many groups.
I think another factor is that Latino men have a lot in common with Trump's base - white men without college degrees - and what appeals to them about Trump is largely the same.

That said, Biden is still going to win 60-65 percent of the Latino vote, it seems, in most places outside South Florida.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #788 on: November 04, 2020, 08:29:26 AM »
The Hispanic vote is plural not singular. It is very diverse, and many different types of Hispanics in many different types of geographies vote differently for different reasons.

Biden was more successful in the Southwest, Nevada, Arizona, than some of the others, such as Cuban/Venezuelan parts of Florida. Even in Florida, that will differ with more Puerto Rican Orlando etc...

The first thing to know and understand about Hispanic voters is that it is a diverse group of many types of voters.

This exactly. My MIL was complaining about the Latino vote in Florida and started talking about Trump's comments on Mexicans. I had to explain that Mexicans and the Cubans in Miami-Dade are vastly different with different values and voting priorities.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #789 on: November 04, 2020, 08:35:42 AM »
This exactly. My MIL was complaining about the Latino vote in Florida and started talking about Trump's comments on Mexicans. I had to explain that Mexicans and the Cubans in Miami-Dade are vastly different with different values and voting priorities.

Yep, and I would add that many people, including, those running for office, don't have a good enough grasp of the differences and complexities within the wide variances of Hispanic voting. It is very complex and nuanced and not simplistic. Who was talking about Evangelical Cubans in the past? etc...

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #790 on: November 04, 2020, 08:36:49 AM »
Short Bernie Sanders clip where he predicts the possible election outcome long before election night.

https://twitter.com/hannahhycho/status/1323851835199811587?s=19

• All American
« Reply #791 on: November 04, 2020, 08:46:37 AM »
Well, regardless if Biden pulls this out or not, I will say that guru was more right than most pollsters were about the turnout and what that would mean.  A better handling of the pandemic and Trump wins this in a landslide. 

And if Biden loses, the Democrats need to understand why Obama and Trump were two time winners, and why their last two candidates were uninspired.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #792 on: November 04, 2020, 09:02:50 AM »
Well, regardless if Biden pulls this out or not, I will say that guru was more right than most pollsters were about the turnout and what that would mean.  A better handling of the pandemic and Trump wins this in a landslide. 

And if Biden loses, the Democrats need to understand why Obama and Trump were two time winners, and why their last two candidates were uninspired.

This. Unfortunately the most inspiring are also probably too far left to have a legitimate shot right now
Maigh Eo for Sam

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #793 on: November 04, 2020, 09:02:58 AM »

We'll wait for all votes to be counted. But it would appear Biden will win, and, it's possible that number could get well into the 300's in the Electoral College.

I don't think one can say so simply that DT would have won in a landslide if not for the Pandemic. While the President and his administration's handling of the Pandemic has been an abomination, yes, I believe if we have learned one thing, it is that people vote for a wide variety of reasons.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #794 on: November 04, 2020, 09:04:22 AM »

We'll wait for all votes to be counted. But it would appear Biden will win, and, it's possible that number could get well into the 300's in the Electoral College.

I don't think one can say so simply that DT would have won in a landslide if not for the Pandemic. While the President and his administration's handling of the Pandemic has been an abomination, yes, I believe if we have learned one thing, it is that people vote for a wide variety of reasons.

300s? I'm just hoping he edges things out in NV WI and MI to get to 270
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #795 on: November 04, 2020, 09:07:44 AM »

Based on what's left, those three look solidly to be in Biden's camp. Not huge margins, but remaining votes are in urban centers.

He'll hit 270 and have a solid popular vote margin (5-7M) but it won't be the electoral landslide that looked possible, even if Georgia & Pennsylvania tip blue.

Regardless, seems unlikely the Senate will be aligned with Biden.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #796 on: November 04, 2020, 09:15:20 AM »
What are you all using to track right now?

I've got cnn, Fox, and Huff post open. CNN seems like it's lagging. Fox seems to be most up to date with votes but if I can avoid using it I will.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #797 on: November 04, 2020, 09:16:02 AM »

290 seems possible, if early and mail ballots on PA trend the way they have so far.
300+ would take extraordinary numbers in the Atlanta suburbs, which is improbable.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #798 on: November 04, 2020, 09:16:19 AM »

I didn't say he would, but I said it is possible with NC and GA in play. Many of the Fulton County outstanding votes are expected to be heavy Biden for example. (JB needs 100k+ to win) NC allows mail in ballots post marked day of election. (JB needs 76k+)

I also should have added that Biden will win the popular vote by millions more than Hillary Clinton did four years ago.

And yes, under the current system 270 on the nose is all that matters and is all that is needed for someone to win.

Pennsylvania for example allows people to post mark their ballots on election day. 1.4 million votes are outstanding. Thus far 71% of those have been for Biden.

It will take several days and all of the votes will get counted.

I chose my clarifying words carefully, such as "possible" here or "likely" there etc...

We'll see. I will say that many polls and models have been off and incorrect while some others have been more accurate. It's important for people to identify the specifics of those things as opposed to broad statements. All models, all polls is too strong.

I believe that 65% of voters voted. That's more than the 62% of 2008. 1963 was 63%. So it's a historically high turnout.

It's fair to say that DT has had a consistent 40 plus percent approval rating popularity. Not better or worse, amazingly consistent. It's fair to say millions and millions of people voted for him twice. I don't discount any of that.

Republicans wouldn't allow mailed ballots to be counted as they came in this past month in some of the outstanding states to be counted. There really isn't any positive/productive reason to do that.

So we count all of the votes.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 09:31:18 AM by shoothoops »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #799 on: November 04, 2020, 09:22:42 AM »
Well none of what happens today matters if the Dem's don't pull off the Senate.  Without the Senate, Biden is hamstrung with a tanked economy, covid, and general unrest.  Without the senate he can't fix any of this, and the Dems will get rolled in 2022 and 2024 could be a total blowout.

Lose by winning.