collapse

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MU82
[Today at 09:44:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[Today at 09:36:37 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 08:28:28 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Nukem2
[Today at 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vote!  (Read 87326 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Vote!
« Reply #575 on: November 01, 2020, 09:50:20 AM »
I think the problem with the Republican party is that they have become focused on "traditionalism."  A rose-colored look at what America used to be, and a desire to go back there.  Whatever "there" is.  And therefore you have people like guru feel that those who are against Republicans, are therefore anti-American.  There is no sense that change can actually be better.  Or better said, that change within the bounds of what has made this country great could actually make it even greater. 

I actually think this is the inevitable result of appealing to evangelical Christians.  Largely rural (or suburban), whiter, older  traditionalists. 

Finally, I think the biggest mistake the Republicans made, was turning so sharply anti-immigrant.  From a social and economic perspective, the Hispanic population by and large has more in common with the Republicans of 25-30 years ago than they do the Democrats of today.  But again, when you bow to "traditional America" there is little room for people who speak a different language.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #576 on: November 01, 2020, 10:06:02 AM »

I think the problem with the Republican party is that they have become focused on "traditionalism."  A rose-colored look at what America used to be, and a desire to go back there.  Whatever "there" is.  And therefore you have people like guru feel that those who are against Republicans, are therefore anti-American.  There is no sense that change can actually be better.  Or better said, that change within the bounds of what has made this country great could actually make it even greater. 

I actually think this is the inevitable result of appealing to evangelical Christians.  Largely rural (or suburban), whiter, older  traditionalists. 

Finally, I think the biggest mistake the Republicans made, was turning so sharply anti-immigrant.  From a social and economic perspective, the Hispanic population by and large has more in common with the Republicans of 25-30 years ago than they do the Democrats of today.  But again, when you bow to "traditional America" there is little room for people who speak a different language.

Yep - the 'good old days' mindset.

The problem is that this doesn't allow for positive change or new demographics. And as Billy Joel once said "the good old days weren't always good."

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #577 on: November 01, 2020, 10:06:59 AM »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #578 on: November 01, 2020, 10:17:57 AM »

And frankly, there's a good deal of the black community, especially those that are religious, that have a lot of conservative views.

What you said about immigration, and Goldberg's piece about the cities are bang on on the money. As someone who worked Republican campaigns, I don't recognize this party. The fact the party sold it's soul to Trump and the alt-right is so infuriating to me.

It will take generations to recover from the damage he's done, if the party recovers at all.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #579 on: November 01, 2020, 10:25:45 AM »
And frankly, there's a good deal of the black community, especially those that are religious, that have a lot of conservative views.

What you said about immigration, and Goldberg's piece about the cities are bang on on the money. As someone who worked Republican campaigns, I don't recognize this party. The fact the party sold it's soul to Trump and the alt-right is so infuriating to me.

It will take generations to recover from the damage he's done, if the party recovers at all.

Trafficking in tin foil hattery doesn’t help them either.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #580 on: November 01, 2020, 10:29:13 AM »

Nate Silver's 538 site reminds us that in 2016, Trump was only a 'normal-sized polling error' (less than one standard deviation) away from winning. So while it was clearly an upset, it wasn't the statistically unbelievable outcome it has been portrayed to be.

Silver has shown that Biden's lead is well beyond the 'normal-sized polling error' lead of Clinton in 2016. So even if the polls are off by as much as they were in 2016, Biden would still win 335 electoral votes. In fact, for Trump to have a chance, the polls would have to be off by nearly two standard deviations. He calls this - between one and two standard deviations - the 'zone of plausibility.' So in Silver's terms, it is not likely that Trump can overcome the polling deficit, but it is not implausible.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trump-can-still-win-but-the-polls-would-have-to-be-off-by-way-more-than-in-2016/

Right.
538 gave Trump a 30 percent chance in 2016. The site currently gives him a 10 percent chance. Certainly not impossible, but much more improbable than four years ago.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #581 on: November 01, 2020, 01:59:51 PM »
Yep - the 'good old days' mindset.

The problem is that this doesn't allow for positive change or new demographics. And as Billy Joel once said "the good old days weren't always good."

Doesn’t “good old days” really mean good old days for whites?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #582 on: November 01, 2020, 02:49:00 PM »
@chucklindell: The Texas Supreme Court on Sunday rejected, without comment, a bid by three Republican candidates and a GOP activist to toss out almost 127,000 votes cast in drive-thru lanes in the emerging Democratic stronghold of Harris County.
The developing story at:
https://www.statesman.com/news/20201101/texas-court-rejects-bid-to-toss-127000-harris-county-votes-but-fight-isnrsquot-over

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #583 on: November 01, 2020, 03:01:07 PM »
@chucklindell: The Texas Supreme Court on Sunday rejected, without comment, a bid by three Republican candidates and a GOP activist to toss out almost 127,000 votes cast in drive-thru lanes in the emerging Democratic stronghold of Harris County.
The developing story at:
https://www.statesman.com/news/20201101/texas-court-rejects-bid-to-toss-127000-harris-county-votes-but-fight-isnrsquot-over

They also filed in Federal courts, so it’s still kinda up in the air.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #584 on: November 01, 2020, 03:01:54 PM »

Interesting post, and good point.

We’ve seen examples of this beyond politics, too. For example, in Col. Jessup’s posts in the Al, he constantly pines for the past and/or status quo in regards to basketball stuff; and he’s almost always against change, especially change favoring the powerless at the expense of the powerful. He’s not the only one, but probably the most vocal.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #585 on: November 01, 2020, 03:05:01 PM »
They also filed in Federal courts, so it’s still kinda up in the air.

In the election cases that have gone to SCOTUS thus far, they have respected decisions by the states and their courts. If they are consistent, the TX Supreme Court's ruling should stand.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #586 on: November 01, 2020, 03:37:20 PM »
https://www.star-telegram.com/news/state/texas/article246877387.html

The president tweets video of the Biden bus being surrounded and harassed, and says ‘I love Texas’.
How people condone this is beyond me.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #587 on: November 01, 2020, 03:39:00 PM »
The developing story at:
Not quite sure why they waited so long to file. If Texas law really does state that the legislature needs to change voting procedures, the case probably would have merit.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #588 on: November 01, 2020, 03:43:17 PM »

The president tweets video of the Biden bus being surrounded and harassed, and says ‘I love Texas’.

He said his supporters were trying to protect the bus.

After one of his aides said the Trump campaign doesn't condone the behavior

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #589 on: November 01, 2020, 04:59:11 PM »

Nobody undermines his own people quite like the President himself
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #590 on: November 01, 2020, 05:59:07 PM »
#terrorists

MU82

• All American
« Reply #591 on: November 01, 2020, 06:39:39 PM »

Yeah ... but Kamala Harris is a “monster.”

The emperor loves terrorists and gangs and thugs ... as long as they are white terrorists and gangs and thugs.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #592 on: November 01, 2020, 06:43:48 PM »
Yeah ... but Kamala Harris is a “monster.”

The emperor loves terrorists and gangs and thugs ... as long as they are white terrorists and gangs and thugs.

He has a fondness for dictators, too
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #593 on: November 01, 2020, 06:52:04 PM »

Because they're bad people?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #594 on: November 01, 2020, 07:02:16 PM »

In the election cases that have gone to SCOTUS thus far, they have respected decisions by the states and their courts. If they are consistent, the TX Supreme Court's ruling should stand.

The last one was 4-4, without Justice Stepford ruling.

And if one believes that then they also believe dogs can speak fluent Portuguese if pet them in the right place.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #595 on: November 01, 2020, 07:05:23 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/11/01/ben-ginsberg-voter-suppression-republicans/#click=https://t.co/Cien4D2tob

GOP Election Lawyer:

"Voter Fraud is a fraud devised to suppress votes "

"Proof of systematic voter fraud has become the Loch Ness Monster of the Republican Party. People have spent a lot of time looking for it, but it doesn't exist "

"The Trump campaign and Republican entities engaged in more than 40 voting and ballot and court cases around the country this year." In exactly none, zero, are they making it easier for citizens to vote. In many, they are seeking to erect barriers."

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #596 on: November 01, 2020, 07:32:13 PM »

There is a new judge waiting in the wings to break any ties. She quite possibly will be the deciding vote in this election.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #597 on: November 01, 2020, 07:48:52 PM »
@JoeNBC: Florida update: Democrats added 12,000 today. They will go into Election Day with a 100,000+ advantage. Hillary was at 90,000. Florida will come down to the approximately 2.5 million “independents”. Both sides agree the race is extremely close & both sides think they’ll win.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #598 on: November 01, 2020, 08:55:32 PM »
95 million people have already voted. Over 100 million people expected to vote before Tuesday:

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1323087518112358400?s=19

MU82

• All American
« Reply #599 on: November 01, 2020, 09:50:44 PM »
The last one was 4-4, without Justice Stepford ruling.

Fess up ... did you make that up, or do you just know a good line when you steal one (as do I)?

Because I gotta admit, I’m stealin’ “Justice Stepford”!