'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Marquette putting an emphasis on recruiting big  (Read 4721 times)

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
I see there's a thread on bigs/offers, but here's an overall look at the centers Buzz has offered to try and replace Otule/Gardner next season and beyond:

http://painttouches.com/2013/06/17/marquette-putting-emphasis-on-recruiting-big/

nyg

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] Marquette putting an emphasis on recruiting big
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 04:53:04 PM »
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Myles-Turner-134245

Don't forget Myles Turner, who blew up over the weekend. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 05:31:12 PM »
So...Buzz knows what we know, knows what he wants, and is working his tush off to land 1-2 quality bigs.       
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 06:01:34 PM »
Good to hear.  With Buzz, it seems like we can put a four star guard/wing on the board in almost every year.  And even his three star guys/JUCOs tend to work out. 

It's tough to find big men, and they certainly don't guarantee you a title.  But an average big man makes upsets exponentially less likely against you.  Everyone remembers Blue, but Otule was a man amongst boys against Davidson and allowed MU to win a game when we played horribly and Davidson played a perfect game. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 07:36:38 PM »

His stock actually caught fire back in April... I think some of the rankings may just be formally catching up now, but he was a big story during the April evaluation periods.

Maybe* not a 'big' difference, but a guy like Tory Miller.. would call him a PF vs. C. But, a big regardless. Interior guy. Might* work as a rebounding/gritty PF, but not sure he's a starting center. Some of those schools listed with Tory I think are pretty old / not applicable.. some dropped off while some came on when he reclassed to '14. Went out east for prep school (played with Vonleh this year) this past season (New Hampton is in NH; Tory is orig from Mizzou though and has run w/KC Run GMC).. spending one more there. Curious to see how much he can elevate his game.

Henry Ellenson, not a C in college, although of capable of playing it.

I like the idea of a long, shot blocking center in the program. Offense can be a bit limited... looking forward to the July evaluation period!!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 10:11:48 PM »
I see there's a thread on bigs/offers, but here's an overall look at the centers Buzz has offered to try and replace Otule/Gardner next season and beyond:

http://painttouches.com/2013/06/17/marquette-putting-emphasis-on-recruiting-big/

Besides Stone, who obviously has visited MU?  Can MU get any of these kids to visit?  Lets see what the MU Brand and Buzz can do?  Do you know of any visits of these
players or is Buzz reaching to high?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 08:44:30 AM »
His stock actually caught fire back in April... I think some of the rankings may just be formally catching up now, but he was a big story during the April evaluation periods.

Maybe* not a 'big' difference, but a guy like Tory Miller.. would call him a PF vs. C. But, a big regardless. Interior guy. Might* work as a rebounding/gritty PF, but not sure he's a starting center. Some of those schools listed with Tory I think are pretty old / not applicable.. some dropped off while some came on when he reclassed to '14. Went out east for prep school (played with Vonleh this year) this past season (New Hampton is in NH; Tory is orig from Mizzou though and has run w/KC Run GMC).. spending one more there. Curious to see how much he can elevate his game.

Henry Ellenson, not a C in college, although of capable of playing it.

I like the idea of a long, shot blocking center in the program. Offense can be a bit limited... looking forward to the July evaluation period!!
We need a center and a power forward that can play center, since it would be very unlikely that we sign two good centers.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 11:24:16 AM by bilsu »

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 09:29:04 AM »
While I know its dangerous to bank on a guy 2 years out I've got to believe that Stone is our best shot at a premier Center.  Don't want to screw that up by getting a guy in the 14 class that Stone could view as limiting his opportunity.  We might be better off getting s less likely to excel as a freshman guy, letting him get 8 minutes or so behind McKay, which shows Stone the field is wide open for 15.  Then if you get Stone you've got your 25 minute guy and the other guy gives you at least some experience off the bench.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 10:11:39 AM »
While I know its dangerous to bank on a guy 2 years out I've got to believe that Stone is our best shot at a premier Center.  Don't want to screw that up by getting a guy in the 14 class that Stone could view as limiting his opportunity.  We might be better off getting s less likely to excel as a freshman guy, letting him get 8 minutes or so behind McKay, which shows Stone the field is wide open for 15.  Then if you get Stone you've got your 25 minute guy and the other guy gives you at least some experience off the bench.

Of the guys that PT mentions, the only one that Stone could possibly view as an obstacle for playing time is Goodluck Okobonoh.  The rest of them are projects that hopefully will develop, but Stone is better than all of them right now.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 10:13:39 AM »

But what if we wait and don't get Stone, and waste the opportunity for the big in 14' class? We have to get the best available now, because no one knows what these kids are thinking.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 10:32:39 AM »

He was already ranked #10 on ESPN.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 10:35:40 AM »

LOL  Anyone good enough to limit Stone's opportunity will be gone in the NBA draft after his freshman year.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 10:48:03 AM »
Anyone know what's going on with Trevon Bunch?  I assume that the lack of news indicates that his development has stalled out.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 04:45:40 PM »
LOL  Anyone good enough to limit Stone's opportunity will be gone in the NBA draft after his freshman year.

Keep in mind that Stone will be making his school decision by early Fall 2014 and likely signing in Nov.  He will definately factor into his decision who MU has at the position at that time.  Not every promising center leaves after his freshman year.  Even if it isn't top of his mind you can bet that the schools competing with MU will point who will have an openning at that position, as it stands currently, and who does not.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 08:19:10 AM »
Keep in mind that Stone will be making his school decision by early Fall 2014 and likely signing in Nov.  He will definately factor into his decision who MU has at the position at that time.  Not every promising center leaves after his freshman year.  Even if it isn't top of his mind you can bet that the schools competing with MU will point who will have an openning at that position, as it stands currently, and who does not.
I would think not having any other center on the team would be a detriment to signing him. Every player wants to start and play a lot, but if you want to be good you need someone to practice against.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 11:10:26 AM »
It's time for Buzz to recruit a taller team to dominate other teams.  Let's get the best big players possible to compete with the other teams.  It's ok if they jump after three years like Al's players.  We have gone as far as we can with shorter teams.  Now's the team to move up a level! 

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 03:05:25 PM »
It's time for Buzz to recruit a taller team to dominate other teams.  Let's get the best big players possible to compete with the other teams.  It's ok if they jump after three years like Al's players.  We have gone as far as we can with shorter teams.  Now's the team to move up a level! 

It's possible if we pay for them like Kentucky does.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 03:13:09 PM »

Sometimes I think people are caught in a time warp from somewhere between 2005 and 2010 when I read comments like this.  We had a great front court last year and will have the best front court in our new league next year.  We have offers out to the best of the best at the 5 position in the 2014 & 2015 classes.  It's not "time" for Buzz to do anything.  He's already doing it.  Enjoy.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2013, 03:58:39 PM »

Yes, it's time for Buzz to get the five best recruits in the country, including the top 2-3 big men every year.

It's also time for us to go undefeated, winning all of our games by double-digits and beating Kentucky in the title game by 31. Then, it'll be time to do it again the following season.

It's also time for Jessica Alba and Scarlett Johansson to realize their dream of a threesome with me.

Oh, and then there's that peace on earth thing. Ho-hum.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2013, 05:00:50 PM »

Next year's front-line is going to have 6'11, 6'9, 6'8, 6'7,6'7, 6'7.    It is going to be tall, talented, and deep.    Not sure what more you want.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback