[May 10, 2024, 09:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 10, 2024, 08:12:15 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MUbiz
[May 10, 2024, 03:33:49 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by LloydsLegs
[May 10, 2024, 03:08:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Who becomes Marquette's new biggest rival?  (Read 20163 times)

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
Interested to see what you make of all this, and even if you don't read the whole thing look at the point differential in Marquette/Villanova's last 7 matchups.

http://painttouches.com/2013/05/27/who-is-marquettes-new-biggest-rival/

MU82

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] Who becomes Marquette's new biggest rival?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 01:24:50 PM »
If DePaul can get back to at least Quentin Richardson-era good, it's a no-brainer rivalry because of both proximity and history.

Of the newbies, the two games last season certainly gives an MU-Butler rivalry a boost out of the gate. Also, Milwaukee and Indy are only 4 1/2 hours apart by car.

And I agree that Georgetown should be a good one.

I also very much hope we play ND every year.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 01:38:10 PM »
I think that Butler for now and DePaul should its program improve are the two best candidates.   While Georgetown or Nova would be outstanding, I think they are likely to consider each other as their respective "bigget rivals," and to merit biggest rival consideration, both teams have to feel that way.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 02:29:17 PM »
Creighton.......?

Dreadman24

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 05:29:01 PM »
Creighton.......?

You're joking, right?

EnderWiggen

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 05:40:00 PM »

You're joking, right?

Cant be worse than Providence  =/

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 05:46:51 PM »
When we first joined the Big east, Villanova was the program I hoped MU would become. They were really good then, now I hope we do not become Villanova.

boyonthedock

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 06:35:51 PM »
During the 3 amigos years I felt there was a nice rivalry with memorable games against the coreys at nova. I certainly hated pittsburgh back then, especially aaron gray.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 07:53:20 PM »
Hope it'll be Depaul if they get their stuff together.  Till then I see it as Butler and GTown with Xavier being like us with Louisville where there will be a lot of good games but we'll be on the winning side most of the time.  (In this example we become Louisville)
Maigh Eo for Sam

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 09:10:53 PM »
Butler is probably the best bet simply because it already has some momentum after last year, and also puts two of the best young coaches against each other. The national media would have some recent drama to pull from to set that up...
G Town and Nova will not happen because of their east coast ties and history.
Xavier would be cool as well as I think they are a very similar program in a lot of ways to ours.
DePaul needs to get their act together as the Milwaukee Chicago rivalry makes sense...

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 09:22:33 PM »
Butler is probably the best bet simply because it already has some momentum after last year, and also puts two of the best young coaches against each other. The national media would have some recent drama to pull from to set that up...
G Town and Nova will not happen because of their east coast ties and history.
Xavier would be cool as well as I think they are a very similar program in a lot of ways to ours.
DePaul needs to get their act together as the Milwaukee Chicago rivalry makes sense...

Some recent drama in the Xavier series too as we ended their streak of sweet 16s
Maigh Eo for Sam

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 07:01:45 AM »
I think that it is the team that you compete with consistently for the title, geography matters but is less important. Given the above; Georgetown with Butler a close second. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 08:36:09 AM »
Does a rival have to be hated? If so, I am not sure there is a big rival in our conference for me. The teams I hated the most were Louisville and Syracuse followed by Pitt, Cincy & Uconn.  I would not want to lose to Seton Hall, Providence and DePaul, because right now they are not very good, but I do not hate them like some of the teams we are no longer with. I think the most important team in our conference to beat is Georgetown, but I also like Georgetown.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 09:40:09 AM »
Does a rival have to be hated? If so, I am not sure there is a big rival in our conference for me. The teams I hated the most were Louisville and Syracuse followed by Pitt, Cincy & Uconn.  I would not want to lose to Seton Hall, Providence and DePaul, because right now they are not very good, but I do not hate them like some of the teams we are no longer with. I think the most important team in our conference to beat is Georgetown, but I also like Georgetown.

I think we should all hate Butler for not being a catholic school! (Lets pretend I bothered to do teal)
Maigh Eo for Sam

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 09:48:41 AM »
Xavier, Georgetown or Butler. G-town will probably be the biggest to start up the "new" league since we are the two strongest remaining teams/brands.

I can see Butler becoming nice as long as both coaches are around for awhile. Xavier should be good too.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 09:49:29 AM »
I don't really care about the new teams.

I dislike GTown. A lot.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 10:15:15 AM »
Creighton.......?

This isn't as silly as it seems.  Creighton has a huge fan base that travels well.  Nothing screams rivalry as much as having the other teams fans in your face while you're losing at home.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 10:18:56 AM »
This isn't as silly as it seems.  Creighton has a huge fan base that travels well.  Nothing screams rivalry as much as having the other teams fans in your face while you're losing at home.
We have the second longest home court winning streak.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2013, 10:27:45 AM »
Definitely Georgetown and Villanova for now.  After that probably the three new members.  We are light years ahead of DePaul so I don't consider them a rival as much as a team you pray to God that you don't lose to like we did a few years ago.

bork

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2013, 10:43:11 AM »
Creighton.......?

We do have more history against them than any team other than DePaul in the new Big East.

DePaul-112
Creighton-76
Xavier-62
Butler-29
No on else over 21.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2013, 10:58:58 AM »
Georgetown and Nova.

But I expect that to change while the league shakes out the next couple of years.

It'll be whomever comes to our house and beats us a couple of times in a row. That was why I've hated Cincy and L'ville for the past 10 years.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 11:16:25 AM »
I think Creighton will be a great rival.  Great fans, great school and they are thrilled to be in the league.  Hopefully they can keep the basketball program running at a high level which I think they will.  I also like that we are no longer the Western edge of the conference.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2013, 12:04:23 PM »
Most great rivalries (read: except ND football) are between two schools in close proximity to one another.  As much as I hope DePaul can get it together, call me a cynic as long as JLP is at the helm; so the next closest to MU is Butler.  If you can't send a 10 or 20-car caravan of students to an away game with a rival, can they really be considered your biggest rival?

All great rivalries have history.  Again, DePaul... blah blah... Ponsetto... blah blah.  Sure there's some history with G-Town and Nova, but I would imagine the average fan would struggle to name two memorable games between MU and GTown or Nova.  Using my wife as a proxy, she rattled off Dominic James' foul vs. Georgetown several years back and nothing else.  I then asked her for her two most memorable games involving any team, and Butler was her answer was to both... hard-fought, back-and-forth games in both the opening round in Maui and the third-round of the tournament, both decided by a prayer three at the end?  If 20 years from now MU and Butler are one of the most intense rivalries in college hoops, that rivalry will be traced back to last year, and just about every game between now and then will be showing both of those buzzer clips.  Although, I would also throw a fifth school into the mix, as it's difficult to discount St. John's given the striking similarities between the two schools, not to mention how Al ties it all together.

Some great rivalries extend beyond the basketball court.  If MU fulfills its recently-announced mission, then MU and Georgetown will be going head-to-head in everything from students to basketball recruits to academics to grants to faculty.  With everyone else, the competition ends at the edge of the hardwood.

Many rivalries involve some sort of vitriol.  It's hard to get mad at Butler, Nova or St John's, let alone anyone else in the conference... except GTown, because it's easy to hate GTown, but i) everyone hates GTown and ii) does GTown ever reciprocate?  Outside of Jonathan Xavier and the two people on Butler's fanboard who honestly think Smith was fouled, does anyone in the new conference really hate MU?

Conclusion: To the harden Warrior, DePaul is the sought-after, sentimental choice, with GTown being the sure-bet.  To the average fan (i.e. someone who doesn't spend more than 5 minutes/day on Scoop), Butler would be the odds-on favorite.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2013, 12:27:02 PM »
and hopefully Creighton isn't the team that ends it!

We have the second longest home court winning streak.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2013, 01:04:59 PM »
Georgetown and Nova.

But I expect that to change while the league shakes out the next couple of years.

It'll be whomever comes to our house and beats us a couple of times in a row. That was why I've hated Cincy and L'ville for the past 10 years.
Good criterion. Never really thought about it, but so true.

feedback