'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette listed with Ron Patterson  (Read 5689 times)

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
Marquette listed with Ron Patterson
« on: August 21, 2012, 03:20:13 AM »
@PaintTouches #mubb MT @JeffRabjohns Updated schools now involved with Ron Patterson: Xavier, Illinois, Marquette K-State, Va Tech, Cincy, Providence.

Another shooting guard Marquette is in on. At this point, it'd be an upset if the (potentially) last 2013 scholarship isn't filled by a shooting guard.

Patterson, Darin Johnson, Kendrick Nunn, JuJuan Johnson off the top of my head. DeMarcus Croaker before he took MU off his list.

Shooting guard is Marquette' biggest 2013 need, they haven't got a commit from one in the class, and it would appear that's where they're looking the hardest.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Marquette listed with Ron Patterson
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 07:51:39 AM »
Agreed.  MU has been listed with numerous SG's.  I have no doubt that they will end up in that direction when all is said and done.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 08:03:35 AM »
Agreed.  MU has been listed with numerous SG's.  I have no doubt that they will end up in that direction when all is said and done.

Nunn was quoted yesterday that Illinois was working him the hardest... Stockpiling all these options for SG, it gives the impression that we are no longer in the perceived lead for his services.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 08:15:03 AM »
Nunn was quoted yesterday that Illinois was working him the hardest... Stockpiling all these options for SG, it gives the impression that we are no longer in the perceived lead for his services.

Jameel McKay gave a Q&A session with the "Inside the Hall" IU site six weeks before he committed to Marquette.  In that interview he said he was going to be taking an unofficial to Indiana during the summer.

Don't read too much into this.  It doesn't necessarily mean that MU (or someone else) isn't the leader at this point.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 08:16:32 AM »

I'm not familiar with how the recruiting game works, but how long before you just tell a guy we've made our feelings known the ball is in your court? Wasn't Marquette the first major school to recruit Nunn?

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 08:22:02 AM »
Perhaps Nunn just isn't that interested in MU. We've heard about his fantasy schools (UNC, Kentucky, UCLA)...and now Illinois is "working him the hardest." Seems like MU continues to be strictly a backup plan.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 08:26:44 AM »
 I'd prefer to tell these kids to s h i t or get off the pot. But, most programs can't afford to do that. As Al said confidentially, "I've stuck my head in the sand many times while recruiting."
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MileHigh

• Team Captain
  • Go Warriors!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 08:35:10 AM »
I'm not familiar with how the recruiting game works, but how long before you just tell a guy we've made our feelings known the ball is in your court? Wasn't Marquette the first major school to recruit Nunn?

I don't think so.  Nunn verballed with Texas A&M awhile ago, but lifted that commitment when their coach left for Maryland.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 09:24:44 AM »
Interesting situation with Ron Patterson, and him now moving to the 2013 class.  Hopefully (for his sake) he can straighten out his grades and academic situation @ Brewster.  Who knows if Buzz's familiarity with Brewster (in recruiting Burton), will lead to interest in Patterson.

The ship has sailed for IU and Patterson.  Their fanbase was excited to bring him in, as his strong suit is being a lockdown perimeter defender (a rare asset in the college game).  Matching Ron and Deonte together would give MU two physically ready perimeter defenders in the Big East.

Furthermore, it would be interesting for Buzz to take a Crean recruit.

As far as Nunn is concerned, I don't read anything into his recent recruiting comments about Illinois.  I want Nunn (and thought I remember his timeframe for commitment to be in Nov), but I'm almost to the point where he needs to sh!t or get off the pot with regards to his MU offer.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 09:55:32 AM »
I think in recruiting you have to realize before you are eliminated that your chances are dwindling. When Nunn had so much interest in MU and did not commit, it is a bad sign. Also, while still highly ranked he is falling in the rankings. I would still take Nunn, but I rather have Chris Jones. Wilson can play shooting guard.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 10:05:48 AM »
I'd prefer to tell these kids to s h i t or get off the pot. But, most programs can't afford to do that.

Do that, and they might not come here. But after a year, they'll transfer back from Oregon.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 10:31:56 AM »

Jameel McKay gave a Q&A session with the "Inside the Hall" IU site six weeks before he committed to Marquette.  In that interview he said he was going to be taking an unofficial to Indiana during the summer.

Don't read too much into this.  It doesn't necessarily mean that MU (or someone else) isn't the leader at this point.

Whoever is the leader means nothing.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 11:04:58 AM »
Maybe it's the last name.
Maybe it's the first name.
Maybe it's because he's the son of a coach.

But if we're talking about 3 or 4 star recruits at SG, I'm partial to Jordan Mathews.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Jordan-Mathews-123085
SS Marquette

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 11:34:23 PM »
This Ron Patterson case intrigues me.

- He's deemed fully eligible by the NCAA
- He enrolls at Indiana under a Faculty Sponsorship Program for students who have not met all of the university's requirements for admission
- Doesn't get the faculty sponsorship
- Is denied admittance to IU
- Enrolls at Brewster thereby saving his eligibility

The Faculty Sponsorship Program is a safety for Indiana: recruit a talented kid with marginal grades; sign him away from other schools; stash him into a program for evaluation; if he appears to be a threat to the APR, deny him admission.

In the end, people can only assume it was grades that cost Ron his spot. Only he can say his side because I don't think IU can comment. But who's to say that this program is used for further scrutiny of a recruit and protection of the program.

Seems a bit "Prop 48ish".

http://www.idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=66259&search=art%20issue&section=search

http://www.hoosiersportsnation.com/index.php?/topic/2422-the-faculty-sponsorship-program/

We don't have a program like that at MU?
SS Marquette

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 08:15:23 AM »
The Freshman Frontier program is similar, but I don't think you can be denied admission later.  Remember that IU was oversigned for 2013 too.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 08:29:02 AM »
This Ron Patterson case intrigues me.

- He's deemed fully eligible by the NCAA
- He enrolls at Indiana under a Faculty Sponsorship Program for students who have not met all of the university's requirements for admission
- Doesn't get the faculty sponsorship
- Is denied admittance to IU
- Enrolls at Brewster thereby saving his eligibility

The Faculty Sponsorship Program is a safety for Indiana: recruit a talented kid with marginal grades; sign him away from other schools; stash him into a program for evaluation; if he appears to be a threat to the APR, deny him admission.

In the end, people can only assume it was grades that cost Ron his spot. Only he can say his side because I don't think IU can comment. But who's to say that this program is used for further scrutiny of a recruit and protection of the program.

Seems a bit "Prop 48ish".

http://www.idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=66259&search=art%20issue&section=search

http://www.hoosiersportsnation.com/index.php?/topic/2422-the-faculty-sponsorship-program/

We don't have a program like that at MU?

This is what is interesting about IU's situation.  Everyone knew they had a scholarship logjam, however many didn't think Ron would be the one to go.  Possibly his academic situation made the decision to resolve the scholarship issue easier, but an odd story nonetheless.

I like Patterson's game and his frame.  Kind of reminds me of a thicker/stronger Jerel McNeal (but not as offensively polished).

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2012, 06:58:41 PM »
Didn't this also happen to Damian Saunders? Wasn't he eligible and it was MU's decision to deny admittance?
SS Marquette

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2012, 07:05:18 PM »
Didn't this also happen to Damian Saunders? Wasn't he eligible and it was MU's decision to deny admittance?
He got arrested for riding in a car that the police found drugs in and subsequently was not admitted. Without that Crean probably would have found someone else to cut as he was the best prospect of the four recruits.

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2012, 07:23:17 PM »
He got arrested for riding in a car that the police found drugs in and subsequently was not admitted. Without that Crean probably would have found someone else to cut as he was the best prospect of the four recruits.

Mbakwe was rated a lot higher.  IIRC,  so was Christopherson.  Someone was gonna get Creaned.  If Saunders came in with Mbakwe's resume I bet he would have been admitted.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 07:33:27 PM »

Yes, he was qualified and cleared by the NCAA. We were one over the limit, so somebody had to go.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2012, 08:04:54 PM »
Crean thought DJ was going pro, so he oversigned.    Then, DJ came back and Crean was stuck.   Saunders gave him a convenient out.    Strictly from a talent standpoint, keep Damian and lose Hazel.    But, when you have more people than opening, when somebody does something dumb, they are the one left out in the cold.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 08:45:13 PM »
Crean thought DJ was going pro, so he oversigned.    Then, DJ came back and Crean was stuck.   Saunders gave him a convenient out.    Strictly from a talent standpoint, keep Damian and lose Hazel.    But, when you have more people than opening, when somebody does something dumb, they are the one left out in the cold.   

So Patterson is really Saunders, and DJ is Zeller?
SS Marquette

feedback