'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

DJO, Jae and Ox aren't available. Who takes the last shot?

Junior Cadougan
22 (18.6%)
Todd Mayo
40 (33.9%)
Jamil Wilson
33 (28%)
Vander Blue
23 (19.5%)
Juan Anderson
0 (0%)
Jamail Jones
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 116

Author Topic: Who takes the last shot? (with a catch)  (Read 3855 times)

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
Who takes the last shot? (with a catch)
« on: February 10, 2012, 02:55:14 PM »
Just a fun, hypothetical question to throw out there.

Marquette is down one with five seconds left with the ball.

DJO, Jae and Davante have all fouled out (I don't know how MU would be down only one if this happened, but roll with it).

Who takes the last shot?

LloydMooresLegs

Re: Who takes the last shot? (with a catch)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 03:04:53 PM »
Junior drives and tries to get to the line

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 03:06:37 PM »

And gets a facial 'cuz he's not quick enough.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 03:07:54 PM »
JW
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 03:08:25 PM »

And tries to pass at the last second, but the ball goes right into 1 of 4 defender's chest.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 03:09:55 PM »
At least we get last second shots off now... there was a period of time for a few years that every last second shot opportunity we had got fumbled off someone's feet or the pass deflected into the backcourt etc etc etc...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 03:12:50 PM »
It could be worse.   We could have to watch a 3 man weave for the last 12 seconds until, with 5 seconds left, one of the guards started a kamikaze move.   (Except when they had Novak standing in the corner)
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BossplayaOtto

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 03:14:15 PM »
I'll say JWil as he has length and can drive or elevate and get his shot off.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 03:14:21 PM »
At least we get last second shots off now... there was a period of time for a few years that every last second shot opportunity we had got fumbled off someone's feet or the pass deflected into the backcourt etc etc etc...

Yeah, who was impersonating a head coach at that time?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 03:15:28 PM »

Vanderbilt and Wisconsin...bad times, bad times....

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 03:20:10 PM »

I remember being at work and watching MU-TCU in the ConfUSA tournament where MU had the ball after a timeout in the closing seconds of a tie game (might have even been in OT). A co-worker asked who I thought was going to take the last shot for MU and I told him that I didn't care, I just wanted MU to get a shot off. Sure enough, TCU stole the inbounds pass and hit a 3 to win it. Ahh, those were the days.

Wilson takes the shot in Strotty's scenario.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 03:25:08 PM by MerrittsMustache »

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 03:21:33 PM »
Todd.  I think statistically he's shooting the two better than anyone else on the list, and while JW is shooting the three a bit better, he hasn't taken nearly as many.
Ludum habemus.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 03:24:15 PM »
Since we only need a 2 I want Junior to drive with Blue slashing behind Junior to crash the glass (if Junior shoots).  Have JW on the baseline and Jones and Mayo floating around the 3 point line for kickouts if Junior gets in trouble.  

JD

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 03:31:45 PM »
So i'm assuming we got the ball in play?!  Wow!  That's huge already!!
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 04:02:19 PM »
Junior, no question at all. He may not be a great shooter, but he's proven clutch in the past. I trust him completely with his ball in the hands. He's the kind of guy who might be shooting 18% from three for the season, but will hit the shot with the game on the line.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 04:05:46 PM »
Junior, no question at all. He may not be a great shooter, but he's proven clutch in the past. I trust him completely with his ball in the hands. He's the kind of guy who might be shooting 18% from three for the season, but will hit the shot with the game on the line.

I'm not trying to be a dick, just really can't remember any times he has hit a clutch shot.  Some big free throws to build our lead when the other team is fouling a couple times, but I can't remember him making a shot that gets us back into a game or gives us a lead.  When has he done this?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 04:06:36 PM »
I'm not trying to be a dick, just really can't remember any times he has hit a clutch shot.  Some big free throws to build our lead when the other team is fouling a couple times, but I can't remember him making a shot that gets us back into a game or gives us a lead.  When has he done this?

Last year at UConn he hit a huge 3-pointer inside two minutes.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 04:06:44 PM »

I voted for Vander, but I'm not sure he's ready for that kind of pressure.  Junior is probably the next best choice IMO, but you're right, I don't trust him to shoot any other time during the game.  Todd Mayo has been so broke and inconsistent, but he's definitely the type of player you want to see be able to take a shot like that... if that makes sense.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 04:19:56 PM »
I voted Vander (given my defenses of him time and again, surprise surprise). None of the guys listed have been shooting for all that high a percentage, and when there's that little time on the clock, I want the guy with the most swagger pulling.

JD

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 04:28:49 PM »
Does it seem alarming to anybody else that as of right now I believe junior is the 7th or an 8th option for a starting PG in the BEast for a last second shot?!

Yes i know a PG is suppose to distribute first, shoot second (most of the time) however i still find it concerning that we have freshman, and bench players picked first.  Anybody care to chime in?
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2012, 04:39:14 PM »
Id give Junior the ball thats forsure. Let him drive and try to find the lane for eithe lay up or a kick out/dump off to someone like Jamil if open to take final shot.

All are pretty much equal options so give Junior the ball and let him choose.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2012, 04:40:43 PM »
Does it seem alarming to anybody else that as of right now I believe junior is the 7th or an 8th option for a starting PG in the BEast for a last second shot?!

Yes i know a PG is suppose to distribute first, shoot second (most of the time) however i still find it concerning that we have freshman, and bench players picked first.  Anybody care to chime in?

Sure.  Junior gets a lot of assists, gets our offense flowing better than anybody else on the team BY FAR, and plays his role.  He knows he doesn't have to score for us to win.  He has to get Crowder and DJO scoring first and foremost, then the other guys, and then himself.  We have seen he has the ability to score when he absolutely needs to (see: end of last season.  West Virginia game in the BET, Syrcause game in the NCAA Tournament).
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2012, 04:46:41 PM »
Sure.  Junior gets a lot of assists, gets our offense flowing better than anybody else on the team BY FAR, and plays his role.  He knows he doesn't have to score for us to win.  He has to get Crowder and DJO scoring first and foremost, then the other guys, and then himself.  We have seen he has the ability to score when he absolutely needs to (see: end of last season.  West Virginia game in the BET, Syrcause game in the NCAA Tournament).

+1... Is Junior a top-5 pg in the conference? No, but I think he's better than average. As long as Junior doesn't have to carry the team, he can play his role and do it well.

I have to say, his on the ball defense has really improved since the start of the season.

JD

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2012, 04:48:44 PM »

Wade...great insight, how quickly I forgot how JC did have those HUGE games for us.  I personally voted Vander, but that does make sense on how one could vote for JC.  Thanks.

AL

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2012, 04:55:51 PM »
Last possession games are so last year.

wheresthecake?

• Team Captain
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2012, 05:00:54 PM »
Vander.  He would get the highest percentage shot of anyone listed.  His man would sag off him and make him take a reasonably open jumper, and even then he could still take it to the rim.  Plus, as someone mentioned, dude has SWAG and will make plays in the clutch.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2012, 05:09:00 PM »
Last possession games are so last year.

....and the year before that.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2012, 05:14:58 PM »
Junior; seniority prevails.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2012, 05:18:59 PM »
Who do I want to?  Junior.  Who do I hope will?  Jamil.  Who do I think would?  Vander.

Basically if it came down to who do I think will make a play and put up a decent shot or make a drive, it's Junior.  If it's who I think has the most potential to make a play that gets the ball in the hoop it's Jamil.  If it's who I could see taking the last shot because he has the desire and isn't afraid to try and make the play it's Vander. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2012, 09:46:42 PM »
Junior seems to be able to score when he has to. He is the one I would trust the most of this group. Mayo would be my second pick, but I rather go with Junior's experience. Even if the shot is designed for Junior to take he would be more likely to pass the ball off, if it was not going good. Whereas Mayo being a frewshmen is less likely to make a good decision.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2012, 08:58:59 AM »
I voted for Jamil because the question was who takes the last shot.  I agree with the premise that Cadougan should have his ball in the hands at the end though.

I also think Cadougan is going to show more scoring prowess next year.  Without a 15+ ppg scorer next year I think Cadougan could very easily average 10ppg.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2012, 09:46:51 AM »
Trick question.  The correct answer is "whoever just cut backdoor on Jerel McNeal."  Thanks for playing everyone. 

feedback